How to Correctly Cut Angle Grinder Sheet Metal
On how to correctly, accurately and safely work on metal with an angle grinder
How to work the angle grinder safely
Angle grinder or angle grinder is a popular and often used power tool in construction and household. the angle grinder is convenient and sometimes indispensable, however, despite the apparent simplicity, working with the tool with an inept approach can be dangerous. How to reduce the risks when working with an angle grinder? I’ll tell you now.
How to work the angle grinder correctly
Of course, any tool can cause injuries and injuries, but the angle grinder is an undoubted leader in this regard. This is facilitated by a hard and sticky disk rotating at high speed, covered only partially by a protective casing. In addition, the tool does not have a reliable fulcrum during operation.
From my own experience I will say that the main reason for getting injured is not observing basic safety precautions. I am not a bookworm and do not always and fully comply with safety requirements at a construction site, but this does not apply to working with an angle grinder, gloves and safety glasses. I’ll wear them. In addition, I never remove the protective cover. In addition, follow these simple rules:
1. Most of the troubles when working with an angle grinder are on a damaged or defective disc. Often there is a chip on the disk. a small notch, which during operation will destroy the disk, and it can fly into small fragments with great speed. At the same time, the tool jerks sharply, which is also unpleasant.
Shattered disc on angle grinder
The second disk defect is a break. Visually, it may not be noticeable, but when you turn it on it will begin to chatter, the angle grinder will noticeably vibrate. This is a clear sign of a break in the drive, and you should stop working immediately and change the drive. Factory defects are extremely rare, at least for large and reliable manufacturers. Therefore, you should not save on disks when buying cheap Chinese counterparts, or products from unknown manufacturers.
Precautions are simple. carefully inspect the disk before operation, then turn on the angle grinder and idle the “listen” instrument for any new vibrations, “chatter” or something unusual.
2. Using the drive for its intended purpose will save you from many troubles. Do not cut boards or plywood with a disc for metal or concrete, the tree is much softer than metal, so friction causes smoke from glue or resin, which can damage health.
Do not cut wood angle grinder!
over, the angle grinder is not designed to work with wood at all, even if you install the toothed disk from the circular. the benefit is that the seat of the angle grinder is identical to the circular saw. But the fact is that the toothed disk clings to the tree more firmly, and it is very difficult to hold the tool in your hands, and even experienced operators do not risk cutting the angle grinder.
Sharpening metal angle grinder with a special disc
Also, many builders often use an abrasive disk for sharpening metal, grinding welds, etc. This is not bad if you use special grinding wheels for this purpose. Otherwise, sharpening disrupts the balancing of the disc, thins it at the cutting edge (up to fiberglass. the base of the disc). In the future, when cutting metal, such a disk easily scatters in all directions.
angle grinder with stone disc
Avoiding injuries in this case is very simple. read carefully what the drive is intended for when buying a disc. Information is usually printed on the disc itself. And in no case do not use an angle grinder to work with wood, it is not suitable for this!
3. The main traumatic situations when working with an angle grinder:
– Clamping the disk between the edges of the cut part. pipes, profiles, metal sheets, etc. When cutting, under the weight of the part, the saws converge, resulting in a clamp on the disc, which will entail tearing the tool out of the hands and destroying the disc. To prevent this, do not allow the convergence of the cut, for this the shorter part, for example, pipes, we keep on weight.
– A sudden obstacle when cutting a sheet or reinforcement can also cause destruction of the disc. This happens, for example, when you cut a steel sheet, and underneath it happens to be a stone, a piece of concrete or something else, solid. Therefore, before cutting, do not be lazy and see if there is a foreign object in the path of the cut.
There may be a stone under the sheet!
– Cutting by weight or a part under load is incredibly difficult and dangerous. The cut place converges sharply when passing about 70-85% of the surface, and if the cutting is also carried out on weight. it can end very badly. Experienced specialists make a cut by about 50-60%, after which they carefully and shallowly pass along the perimeter with the tool, and when the first through cut converges, cut not cut sections along the perimeter, trying not to go deep.
4. Simple rules for preparing the tool before work, and proper completion. it little things, but they are important:
– The disk is attached to the shaft by an angle grinder using the mounting nut, and it is important not to tighten the nut with a key during installation, just do it by hand, locking the shaft with a special button, and tighten the nut with the disk by hand. If tightened with a wrench, then when changing a disk, it will be difficult to unscrew the nut.
– Remember a simple rule. first turn on the angle grinder, and only then touch the disk with the place of cutting. It is important that when starting the tool, the disk does not come into contact with anything (of course, except for the shaft, the angle grinder on which it is mounted). Failure to comply with this rule can provoke a sharp jerk of the instrument from the hands, and this threatens injuries.
– At the end of the work, wait until the disk stops, holding the angle grinder in your hands, or stop the disk on a tree. a board, a beam, etc. Also, I strongly do not recommend that when moving to another place of cut or pause, leave the angle grinder turned on at idle. Walking with the tool turned on is strictly prohibited!
That’s all, work with an angle grinder, do not be afraid of it, but do it carefully, in compliance with safety rules.
How to easily and accurately cut sheet metal angle grinder
I welcome everyone. angle grinder today has become one of the most sought after tools. Few of those who like to make something with their own hands do not have at least a small angle grinder under 115 disc. Today I want to tell you about the method of cutting a sheet metal angle grinder, which I myself have been using for a long time. In this way, it is quite easy and accurate to cut sheet metal.
This method is quite simple and reliable. Previously, I marked the line of the future cut with coated lace, but no matter how hard I tried, the cut was still not ideal. we are people, not robots. Then I realized that in order to work out well and evenly, you need to cut along the guide. He began to use profile pipes or a corner for this, it became easier and more convenient. But the best type of guide (in my opinion) is the same sheet metal, namely its any even factory side.
That’s how I cut sheet metal. I mark out the desired size with a tape measure and put the guide side of the sheet on these marks, holding it with clamps with the bottom sheet. And in this way it will be quite easy to cut. there is no need for unnecessary stresses and constant control of the disk by an angle grinder, it goes along the desired path itself.
Today I had to cut quite a lot. not only across the sheet, but also along, using the same technology.
Then we clean the sharp burrs of a small angle grinder with 125 grinding discs.
It turns out a fairly high-quality cut, which will never work if you do not use the angle grinder for the disk guide.
The photo shows that by connecting the cut on the sheet and the profile pipe, there is no uneven ragged edge, so I recommend this method, who did not know yet.
I almost forgot. I used a large angle grinder with a 230 disk 2 mm thick. You also need to lay a wooden block or a professional pipe under the sheet to be cut along the entire length a little away from the cut so that the disc does not pinch. You should not use narrow guides made of sheet metal. they can be crooked or play a little (bend) from the pressure of the disk, an angle grinder, preferably at least 30 cm wide.
How to cut the angle grinder, sparks from yourself or yourself?
In this issue, I would like to discuss with you one question, how to work with an angle grinder and what is not recommended when working with this tool.
Many people argue about how the disk should rotate on the angle grinder, from yourself or yourself?
Just the other day, I saw how a cutting disc broke into small pieces and it would not be at all about the quality of the disk, but a gross violation of the rules of cutting.
A man cut sheet material with a thickness of about 1 mm., The rotation of the disk was from himself.
And the mistake was that it was necessary to cut in this position on yourself, that is, to pull the angle grinder towards yourself, and not from yourself.
As a result, the disk hit a sharp edge and it was torn into small parts.
Most importantly, no one was hurt, very lucky. It would seem understandable, but not everyone knows about it. If the metal was much thicker, then perhaps this would not have happened.
A little about protection and safety when working with angle grinders.
I don’t know why, some people remove the protection from the instrument, i never do it.
I have it installed here in this position:
Even if the hand accidentally slips, you cannot reach the abrasive wheel:
So, I work with an angle grinder only with sparks for myself, along the angle grinder body, it’s much more convenient and logical for me.
Cutting technology of various materials angle grinder
The correct name for this building tool is an angle grinder (angle grinder). To use the angle grinder correctly, you need to acquire certain knowledge and gain experience.
Today, this machine has become so popular and widespread that no builder, mechanic or locksmith can do their job without this machine.
The angle grinder has many different nozzles, which gives the construction device versatility. But the angle grinder can pose a huge danger to its user, so when working with it, you must use glasses, a mask and gloves. Do not forget about safety. How to cut an angle grinder?
Choosing the Right Angle Grinder
- The choice of the right grinder is an important factor that will affect the further quality of work. The safety of the worker also depends on the right choice.
During the selection, the angle grinder must be guided by the following characteristics:
Power of the angle grinder.
- The diameter of the abrasive wheel.
- Weight angle grinder.
- Machine size.
The light weight of the device simplifies the work, and the necessary size parameters allow you to perform work in hard-to-reach areas.
Many people are afraid to purchase powerful devices when buying, because, in their opinion, it is much harder to do work with them. But this is far from the case. Construction tools that have low power can jam the disc. The device cannot withstand heavy loads. As soon as the load becomes less, the machine will be pulled out of your hands, the disc and the angle grinder may be damaged, and there is a likelihood of serious injury.
For those people who just want to start working with a sander, you need to buy an angle grinder, which should fit under a 125 mm disk. The power of this building tool should be approximately 1000 watts, and the spindle to make 10 thousand revolutions per minute. These numbers are great for cutting material like iron.
The main thing is that the device should be easy to use. The handle of this construction tool is preferably made of rubber or other material. The material of the handle must be such that you do not feel vibration during operation.
On the handle should be special recesses that are intended for fingers. For grinders, which have a small power, such a handle is missing.
If you feel uncomfortable while working, you should look for a device of a different model.
Before choosing a specific drive, you must determine what it will be used for. You need to pay attention to two characteristics of the disk. this is the diameter and thickness.
The smallest diameter of the disc is 125 millimeters, the largest is 250 millimeters. Professional use discs can be large in diameter. Another parameter depends on this disk parameter. thickness.
If the material you want to saw is any metal, you should buy a cutting disc, because the cutting disc has the smallest thickness value. one millimeter. The thickness of the disks of grinding machines for industrial production is two and a half millimeters. Thanks to this thickness of the disc, cutting metal will be much easier. You can get a neat cut.
According to many, it is necessary to use a diamond disk for sawing any metal. But this is not so. Such a disk after the first use becomes unsuitable for further use.
Cutting a metal angle grinder is a simple procedure that even beginners can handle.
How to cut an angle grinder in compliance with safety regulations? Angle grinder developers are always trying to minimize the likelihood of injury.
One of the main dangers that a person may face when cutting metal is the flight of fragments of a damaged disc. The release of small abrasive particles may occur.
If the disk of the construction device is damaged, then the angle grinder can fly out of your hands at the most unexpected moment.
Therefore, when you perform light work, you must follow safety precautions.
Before you start cutting you need:
- Provide protection for hands, eyes and face. If you can protect the whole body, do it.
- Clean all nearby materials that are flammable as there is a risk of sparks.
- The material that you want to process with an angle grinder must be taken in a vice. It is not worth holding this part in your hands.
- If you want to install a new disk, you need to scroll it at maximum power to check. If the disk is defective, then it will break.
- Carry out installation, adjustment, fixing of the casing intended for protection.
Directly while working with the grinder you need:
- When you want to replace the drive, unplug the machine.
- Use safety glasses or face shield. Specialists use both things.
- During operation, it is necessary to hold the angle grinder firmly.
- Wait until the disk has finally stopped, and only then begin to replace it.
- Work must be carried out with specially designed protective gloves. Gloves that are made of cotton material are forbidden to use, because of the sparks they can catch fire. Threads can get into the car.
- During cutting, it is necessary to place your entire body in a safe plane. to the side where the disk of your construction tool does not rotate.
Upon completion of the work to be done:
- After cutting, wait until the disc of the device stops completely. Then lay the machine with the disc up so that the disc is not damaged.
- Unplug the construction tool.
- Check for signs of fire.
Many people use saws or milling cutters instead of a disk. This cannot be done.
Rules for metal cutting
How to cut a metal angle grinder? What angle grinder is needed for metal cutting? If you do not already have experience, then practice on unnecessary details. The cutting wheel accepts only directed efforts. If you change the plane of the file, it will cause damage.
Important: it is best to saw any metal (cast iron, aluminum and others) with the bottom of the disc.
How long does it take to work with the device, and how much time is needed for a break? To extend the life of the angle grinder and disc, you must take a break after seven minutes of operation. The break should last about half an hour. A break is especially necessary for devices with low power, because they quickly overheat.
The disk will last longer if the section of the slice is poured with cold water. Thanks to this procedure, you can cool the metal. Metal cutting angle grinder should be carried out with an assistant in a pair.
Each metal has its own cutting rules. For example, since aluminum is a viscous material, kerosene must be dripped into the cut. It is necessary to observe fire safety rules when you drip into a cut in metal.
To cut the tin, you must use the used disk, which is called the "stub". Therefore, do not discard discs after use.
If you are cutting reinforcement with an angle grinder, it is better to cut off the edge that hangs. Pipe cutting angle grinder is the same. The pipe is cut easily: you don’t have to make special efforts, and the tool is easy to hold in hands.
If we saw between supports, the material will begin to bend due to its mass, and the disk will jam.
If you are sawing a material that has a large thickness, it must be cut smoothly, rectilinearly. How to cut a circle angle grinder? If you need to cut a certain figure, then first cut the part in a straight line, then cut off the excess.
Do not press on a building tool while sawing any metal. The disc may jam and break, and the angle grinder may overheat. The angle grinder for metal should run smoothly.
Many people have questions: is it possible to cut metal or cut corrugated angle grinder? Metal tile. yes, corrugated board. no.
Many metal structures can be easily sawed. For example, cutting cast iron is easy because this material is brittle. To cut cast iron, use a cutting wheel.
How to angle grinder to cut a professional sheet? To cut a professional sheet, you need to use only certain types of disks. The thickness of the disk should be one and a half millimeters.
As soon as you have cut the profiled sheet, you need to carry out the processing of the edges (cut) using specially designed paints. The professional sheet is cut quickly and easily. Cutting the flooring has its drawback. the edges become torn, after which it is necessary to remove burrs.
An important point: if you are going to cut a corner with this device, then the corner angle grinder needs to start sawing, cutting from the edge.
Metal cutting is performed to obtain steel billets. If you want to cut a stainless steel, then use a cutting wheel with a diameter of 125 millimeters and a thickness of one millimeter. To saw off the stainless material, you must observe a slight pressure. Stainless steel requires only specially designed circles for cutting.
How to cut a circle in metal? You can cut a circle in metal with an angle grinder. It is necessary to cut through the sheet from all sides. Immediately you can not get a perfectly smooth circle in the metal. To get the perfect circle in the metal, you must additionally use a grinder.
How to Cut Thick Metal Angle Grinder
Specialists say that even a beginner will not have special problems when cutting metal. Angle grinder disc indicates the best results when sawing slate, because it is first intended for work with concrete or stone. Both tools are controlled with the task of cutting the cement structure of slate, but the jigsaw blades replaceable quickly lose their sharpness and they often have to be changed. When polishing, you need to set a low speed of rotation, guide the tool smoothly, without difficulty, avoiding cutting into the material. The hand-held angle grinder, spinning at high speed, is not well adapted for the final finish. Accordingly, an angle grinder must be designed to work with disks of this particular size. With the help of a cutting disc for metal, an angle grinder can cut such a rather narrow material in a matter of minutes.
An angle grinder with a side handle is produced. Even if the master is not at first in the palm of his hand Angle Grinder. An electric motor rotates a shaft at an enormous speed through a bevel gear onto which interchangeable nozzles are mounted.
It is possible to use an angle grinder for cutting glass if the cut length is small and it can be done without using a ruler. To do this, a shallow file is made in the glass along the entire length and then the plate breaks, as after a glass cutter. If there is no glass cutter, you can use an angle grinder with a solid diamond blade. It is with this form of cutting edge that the disc can be used for dry and wet cutting of bricks. Abrasive discs, although more affordable, wear out quickly. Concrete can be handled only by a powerful, professional angle grinder equipped with Turbo diamond abrasive discs and having several speed modes.
Metal cutting angle grinder is a cheap, practically affordable and quite effective way of sawing it. In this case, appropriate disks without defects should be used for each material. This may be the departure of the angle grinder from the hands, and the appearance of the smallest particles of materials.
The operation of grinding soft materials, including wooden surfaces, is one of the safest types of work with an angle grinder. During operation, it will not jam, will not catch, will not wrap. During processing, apply force to the lower part of the cutting tool, which ensures efficient cutting. It is important to monitor the sharpening plane, since it is precisely it that most affects the dynamics of the cutting wheel when sawing wood.
Metal cutting with an angle grinder (angle grinder, angle grinder) is the easiest way to process various hard materials, including metal workpieces. If the angle grinder is fixed, it is possible to grind drills, cutters, knives and other cutting tools on it. How to work right angle grinder, how to cut, saw and grind stone, wood or metal? You can find out how to cut metal using an angle grinder in this article. The wrong size disc cannot be mounted on an angle grinder.
Bringing the saw blade to a rotating grinding wheel, do not apply force to it. Sharpening the angle grinder of the saw blade should occur in the light touch mode. You can also sharpen the circular disk without twisting it from its working position. The cut-off part of the material should be held with the foot and pressed to the floor. The movement of the circle should occur exclusively along the marked line without distortions.
Read the same
Next, we will tell you how to correctly cut an angle grinder sheet metal and workpieces of other shapes. There are some basic guidelines. Then we make accurate cutters with an angle grinder, when the seam on the workpiece is already very sawn, it will be necessary to carefully divide this tile into two parts. So how to cut tiles using an angle grinder you will learn in this article. The installation instructions say that the profiled sheet can not be sawed with an angle grinder.
Fast cutting of 8 mm thick metal sheet. Angle Grinder
the work was one-time. there was no more such work, so there was no point in buying a plasma cutter. since the leadership.
Metal cutting from 10 mm to 45 mm. Angle Grinder.
This video explains how to use an angle grinder. cut off most common metallic.
AS CUT TILE Angle grinder WITHOUT CHIPS? This is especially true when the front surface of the tile is not glossy, but bumpy (for example, in the bathroom, where it is customary to lay tiles with anti-slip properties on the floor). For example, if you cut off excess parts from a pasted arch, glue the place of the cut and the cut part with masking tape or construction tape. The bottle must be well secured, cut with a diamond blade at low speed.
Видео: How to Correctly Cut Angle Grinder Sheet Metal
We work the angle grinder correctly. how not to endanger oneself?
Attention should be paid not only to the question of how to cut a metal angle grinder correctly, but also to the safety rules that should be exercised when working with any tools. On the Internet on request "how work properly angle grinder ”you can find a large number of rollers with a visual demonstration of the process. We hope you find this article helpful.
Before using the angle grinder, remove excess items from the work area, nothing should bother you. The presence of strangers is also undesirable. Select and set the circle. This must be done before connecting the tool to the network. In the technical documentation for the angle grinder, the permissible diameter of the circles used must be indicated.
When working with an angle grinder, first of all, you need to take care of your own safety. An angle grinder in inept hands can be a deadly weapon. Therefore, it is better for beginners to purchase an angle grinder for a 125 mm disk with a power of 800-1000 W and a spindle speed of 10,000 rpm. This power is enough to cut iron.
Despite the simplicity of the device, safety precautions must be observed when working with an angle grinder. The working shaft rotates at a speed of 2.5 to 10 thousand revolutions, when processing materials, not only dust is released, but also sparks. Be sure to use safety glasses, gloves. This problem can be solved by using peeling (or grinding) nozzles on an angle grinder. For example, a longitudinal cut is best done with an angle grinder, and an electric jigsaw will help cut a hole for the chimney. It is necessary to lower the angle grinder smoothly, without jerking, firmly holding the tool.
Many are interested in the more profitable cut metal: angle grinder or gas. The answer depends on the extent of processing. Gas cutting is often used in large industries. In addition, the edges processed with angle grinders are more accurate, without the formation of scale and oxide. It is very convenient to remove old paint using angle grinders.
If you read the instructions, it should always be written in black and white that there should be no children or pets near the working tool. True, it is better not to let anyone near you when you are working with an angle grinder.
Read the same
Machining rubber with an angle grinder is possible, but unnecessary. To do this, you need to have a steel disk with diamond coating for cutting granite, concrete and other types of building materials. In this way, you can cut almost all types of household glasses: ordinary, crystal, borosilicate (heat-resistant), bottle.
Despite the danger, the angle grinder can be used safely if safety precautions are taken and no errors are made. To do this, hold the tool with only two hands. If a jam occurs, the tool must not be pulled out of the hands. You should always be prepared for a back strike, which can cause a strong displacement.
At what speed cut metal angle grinder, Depends on the declared performance of the tool. Do not overclock it to the maximum, as this leads to quick wear. The optimal parameter is about a third of the limit values.
How to grind an angle grinder
In order to understand how work properly Angle grinder must be familiar with the theory, and then proceed to practice. Just follow our recommendations, they will help you perform cutting and grinding without any problems. There are a number of supporting recommendations for operating the angle grinder at home. When cutting walls, in which there may be reinforcement, as well as elements of utilities, you must be especially careful and careful. There should be no bumps on the wheel that could degrade the quality of the cut. To eliminate them, you need to slightly angle the grinder on the plaster or concrete.
It is strictly forbidden to cut, drill or mill wood using an angle grinder.
Start cutting fat metal angle grinder better off the edges. If you start with the middle part, the disc may jam and bend. Such "modernization", as a rule, ends with a burned-out angle grinder or injuries. Cutting of the workpiece is carried out due to the contact of the rotating disk with the surface of the product. over, the contact zone is the only support, because the worker keeps the whole angle grinder on weight. This specificity requires the skill of stable maintenance of the tool in one plane.
Material is removed from the slotted strobes using a hammer or chisel. The use of an angle grinder greatly accelerates the process of mounting wires to sockets, switches and fixtures. over, the strobe turns out to be even, of the required width, with smooth walls.
If you need to cut a pipe of large diameter, then the use of an angle grinder allows you to perform this work without significant financial costs. But at the same time, labor productivity is small, and the risks are considerable. When there is no tool except for angle grinders, before cutting an angle grinder, you should know the possible negative consequences.
Read the same
How to cut tiles and porcelain tiles without dust and chips, angle grinder at home
Every master who deals with wall cladding with ceramic tiles knows that it is impossible to lay it without cutting. This is true both for wall cladding and for laying porcelain stoneware on the floor. But not everyone knows that for trimming you can use an ordinary angle grinder (angle grinder). Consider how to correctly and without chips to perform this operation.
Which discs are cutting tiles
For cutting ceramics, special disks are required, which can be stone or metal with diamond spraying. Stone is rarely used, since they are quite thick and quickly grind off, and they are very dusty during operation. The cost of stone disks is several times less than metal, but experts prefer to work last.
Metal discs can be:
Ceramic processing is preferred solid discs. When working with such disks, there is a time limit: they cannot be continuously cut for more than 1-1.5 minutes. Then it should be allowed to cool while the angle grinder is idling.
Segmented designed for cutting pavers, porcelain stoneware, natural stone or concrete.
Segments are designed to better cool the tool during operation.
To cut a tile angle grinder, you need to master the three directions of cut.
To master it is not difficult, at the same time, the fishing line of the cut is clean and without chips. When performing work, the tile is securely fixed on a flat surface, marked out with a pencil or felt-tip pen. The cut-off part should hang freely from the table. Cutting tool is located at right angles to the workpiece. Gently, without jerking, slowly lead the angle grinder along the marked line. The tool should be moved to itself so that the marked fishing line is visible.
At an angle of 45 0
Often it is necessary to dock, and this implies a shear of material at an angle of forty-five degrees. This angle can only be obtained with a great workout. But you can use this technique: first cut the workpiece in a straight line, and then gently with a disc, sandpaper or grinding stone process the edge at the right angle.
Often there is a need to cut round hole in tile. You can do the job correctly using angle grinders with certain skills. To do this, mark the hole on the workpiece and outline the fishing line with a felt-tip pen, mark the center of the circle. They begin to cut at a slight angle, slowly, along the inside of the line, gradually passing around the entire circumference. Then cut the sectors, take them out in turn, if necessary, cutting ceramics. Finish the edges with a file, getting a smooth circle. This treatment is called a dry cutter.
Such openings, as a rule, are cut under the sewer or ventilation.
When performing shaped workpiece processing, it is easiest to perform rectangular cutouts. To make the slices even, without chips, you must regularly change the cutting wheel. If you use segmented discs, then chipped will appear on the cut line.
How to get rid of dust when cutting tiles
Tile cutting an angle grinder is not a very difficult matter, but it creates a lot of dust. There are techniques that can reduce dust formation. Specialists use special tile cutters, but buying them for a one-time job is not practical because of the high cost. Therefore, when processing parts, the wizards act differently. First, a layer of glaze is cut through. it almost does not dust, the main dust appears when a layer of baked clay is processed. Then it remains to gently break the ceramic tile and treat the edges with abrasive material.
A common way to get rid of dust is to moisten the workpiece. To do this, constantly add water to the work area with a diamond wheel. After each pass of the tool, it is necessary to fill the seam with water or install a special device for supplying water to the working area. This device is fixed directly to the protective casing of an angle grinder. As a result, the workpiece is processed without dust.
When performing repairs, they are faced not only with walls. Porcelain tiles are laid on the floors in the bathroom and toilet. an artificial material that replaces granite and marble. Its cost is several times less than natural, but in terms of hardness and abrasion, porcelain stoneware surpasses them. Recently, it has become widespread. It can also be cut using angle grinders.
To do this, you need to know the basic methods of processing the material at home.
- It is necessary to choose the right cutting tool. It should be written on what it is used for: porcelain stoneware, solid ceramics, etc.
- To reduce the number of chips, choose a disk with a continuous application of the cutting edge. The thickness should be minimal.
- Choose a cutting wheel with a large diamond coating height.
- angle grinder must have speed controller.
After selecting the tool, the workplace is prepared and the angle grinder begins to cut the porcelain tile. To do this, you must perform these sequential steps.
- Place the material on a flat surface, placing it underneath thin foam or similar material.
- Securely fix the tile to the surface with clamps.
- To reduce chips, stick masking tape and make markings, on which it is necessary to cut off the excess part.
- Prepare a vacuum cleaner to remove dust.
- It is necessary to cut from the front side, moving the grinding machine away from you.
- It is recommended to cut not along the marked line, but a little to the side. This is done for subsequent grinding of the end face of the porcelain tile to remove bumps and chips.
Following these simple recommendations, you can cut floor tiles with your own hands.
Paving with the help of angle grinder
Having a private house, it becomes necessary to lay paving slabs or pavers, which must be cut to size. For this, a universal device is also used, which is available in almost every house. an angle grinder.
Processing of paving stones has its own characteristics, but basically it is performed in the same way as cutting porcelain tiles. The main differences are that the work is done outdoors. Material processing should be done in a separate area: The resulting dust settles on the paved stones and can ruin its appearance. If this happens, immediately wipe it off with a stiff brush.
To saw paving stones, choose a diamond blade for concrete processing. The angle grinder should be held at a right angle to the workpiece, and the diamond wheel should be moved exactly along the marking line. It is necessary to cut the tile to a depth of a little more than half, and then just break it and trim it.
Safety Precautions When Cutting Tiles Angle Grinder
To ensure that tile cutting with an angle grinder, pavers or porcelain stoneware is safe, the following safety precautions must be observed.
- All operations must be performed. in overalls, excluding the possibility of falling into rotating parts.
- Mandatory application safety glasses.
- Recommended use ear plugs.
- Tools, carryings and other devices must be in good condition.
- Persons not younger than 18 years old and trained in the rules of operation of cutting equipment should be allowed to work.
- If used wet processing, make sure that the grinder does not get into the water. Otherwise, it may result in electric shock.
- Do not process workpieces at maximum speed, work in rooms with good ventilation.
To preserve life and health, these conditions should be strictly observed. And then it will be possible to finish the repair on time and enjoy its results for many years.
How to cut a tile angle grinder: tips and tricks
Often, not everyone has a special device for cutting ceramic tiles (tile cutter) at hand, but there is an alternative. an angle grinder (angle grinder, angle grinder) can easily cope with this task. A wide price range makes them accessible not only to professionals, but also to home craftsmen. In addition, such a tool has wide functionality.
It must be remembered that the angle grinder is dangerous, so when working with it, do not forget about the safety rules. In home use, a tool with a cutting wheel diameter of 125 to 150 mm is used, professionals use wheels reaching a diameter of more than 280 mm. It is more convenient if the tool is equipped with a speed controller.
To minimize the risk of injury, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Be sure to use protective equipment: glasses or a protective mask, gloves, closed shoes and clothes, a respirator.
- It is forbidden to work with a thin section machine without a protective metal casing.
- Always monitor the location of the electric cable, exclude the possibility of it falling under the cutting part.
- Hold the tool with both hands and stand parallel to the rotating circle. Thus, in case of clamping the disc, the tool will throw you past.
- The translational movement of the angle grinder should coincide with the direction of rotation of the disk.
- To control a safe cut, immerse the cutting part one third of the radius of the cutting wheel.
- For each material, use the appropriate disc: for metal, stone, dry cutters, grinding disc. Each tool has its intended purpose.
- Be especially careful when working both at the lowest and the highest possible speeds.
- Do not immerse the cutting part in water in order to avoid the formation of dust: there is a high risk of shorting and electric shock to the worker.
- Work only in a well-ventilated area or in the fresh air, but avoid working in the rain.
Basic cutting methods
There are three main ways to cut a tile angle grinder:
- Straight cut. This basic method is the simplest of all possible, the knife to the tile is located at an angle of 90 °. Before the cutting process itself, it is necessary to ensure the position of the tile so that the fishing line remains on the weight.
- Cut out at the corners. This method is much more complicated than the previous one and brings some difficulties. Initially, a standard direct cut is performed. Then the inner or outer edge of the tile using an angle grinder is processed at the desired angle.
- The hole in the body of the tile. If you need to cut a hole in the middle of the tile, then the first thing to do is to mark the place of the intended cut. Then in the center of the circle with a marker draw straight lines for the future hole. After all the preparatory work is completed, you can proceed, slowly cut the desired hole. For such work, a thin section machine with a minimum cutting disc diameter is best suited.
So that after cutting the right size, the wall or floor covering looks neat and without chips, you need to responsibly approach the process of cutting and cutting. To ensure the most even edge, be sure to follow these recommendations:
It is always necessary to cut tiles from the front side. this reduces the chance of chips and cracks from the outer edge, but only when working with a high-quality cutting disc.
- Do not immediately immediately deeply immerse the cutting disc in the body of the material. First go through the glaze, and only after that you can start a full cut.
- Be careful when lowering the rotating disc to the cutting surface, do so so as not to accidentally damage the glaze.
- No need to exert force when cutting, the weight of the thin section of the machine is enough for a neat cut, your task is to adhere to the desired direction.
Tile Cutting Discs
For cutting ceramic or granite tiles, stone disks or steel circles with an edge from diamond spraying (Sukhoreza) are used. As practice has shown, diamond circles had the best performance when cutting off the edges of porcelain stoneware or just ceramics. Further, more about each of the discs.
Simple stone discs
Such circles are the cheapest designed for stone, their resource is short, and they undergo frequent replacement. In addition, they are thicker than their diamond competitors, respectively, and the fishing line is thicker in these circles, and there is also more dust formation during operation. In such circles, there is a high risk of chips on the cutting edge, and it seems that the disk remains intact, but for safety reasons it must be replaced, because further destruction of the edge can cause injury to the worker.
Diamond coated blades
Dryers can carry high loads without overheating and destruction. The only condition is that direct contact with the cutting surface should not exceed 90 seconds, then the disk must be cooled at idle, after which you can start working again. When buying a cutting tool, craftsmen often prefer continuous diamond spraying.
If during the cut you notice a luminous strip along the entire edge of the circle, then immediately stop the process, otherwise the tile will be overheated and damaged. But do not get upset, the drive is still working, but it has overheated. It is worth making a couple of cuts on any abrasive surface (rubble stone, granite, sandstone), and the circle will again be like new. There are two types of cutters: segmented, solid.
- Segmented Diamond Blades. This type is presented in the form of a steel disk divided into segments. In fact, the disc has a discontinuous cutting edge. With this circle, you can cut off both ceramics and natural stone. Despite the fact that the cooling capacity of such discs is better, they often leave chips when cutting, so they are most likely not suitable for filigree work.
- Diamond coated solid circles. These circles can perform a wider range of work: in addition to cutting tiles and stone, they can also process the side edge, giving it the desired angle and shape. Due to minimal detonation, the circle allows you to cut glazed tiles with virtually no chips.
Cutting tiles without chips
To minimize the number of chips, try to adhere to the following rules when working with the tool:
Linear cut. Mark the front of the tile with a construction marker. Ensure that the disk is mounted correctly in the direction of rotation indicated on the machine’s thin section and on the wheel. Bring the angle grinder in working condition and let it gain working speed. Fix the tile through the rubber gasket with clamps on a flat surface so that during the cutting process to exclude its sudden change in position. Along the marking line, without effort, make a uniform cut with a depth of 2-4 mm, based on the thickness of the glaze and the tile body itself. Pass through the glaze very slowly and as responsibly as possible, after this stage you can apply a little pressure and bring the process to completion. And there is also the option not to cut the tile body to the end, and to break off the cut edge and finish the edge with an abrasive.
- Large diameter round hole. Draw a marker on the point that will be the center of the circle. Then, with a drill with a victorious tip, drill a hole through the mark with a diameter of 3-4 mm. Now on both sides of the tile you need to mark the circle of the desired diameter. Then, using an angle grinder, make short cuts of 2-3 mm along the contour of the marked circle, only after that you can cut the circle from the inside through the cuts, and remove the remains with pliers. To completely remove chips, the edges of the hole should be treated with a file and sandpaper.
- Rectangular hole. Make a linear marking of the hole using a marker and a pattern, then at the corners, not protruding beyond the marked contour, drill through holes with a diameter of 7 mm. After that, use an angle grinder to connect the holes with even cuts. Now you can remove the cut out ceramic fragment, and process the edges until the chips disappear.
If desired, a hole of any diameter and shape can be cut out in the body of the tile, especially in the modern construction world there are all kinds of nozzles and devices for angular grinding machines. The only thing that can never be forgotten is the observance of the necessary safety measures when working with an angle grinder!
Cutting an angle grinder: tips, ways to use the tool
Cutting angle grinder
angle grinder. an indispensable power tool, used most often in construction. In fact, cutting an angle grinder is a procedure that finds application not only during cutting of any material (tile, metal, etc.), but also in grinding material. In this regard, we strongly recommend that you be informed about the intricacies of working with a universal tool.
What do you need to know?
Cutting an angle grinder involves several nuances:
- When working with material, holding an angle grinder in your hands, consider the wear of the cutting wheel. Wear on the wheel naturally affects the depth of cut. In this regard, watch and change the cutting wheel in time.
- Another subtlety is the pouring of a circle with water, which serves to increase the work efficiency of an angle grinder. So, pouring water on a circle, you cool it.
- No need to strive to set the maximum number of revolutions of the circle for cutting metal. Such actions will allow you to increase the life of the tool, otherwise. the angle grinder will find a place for repair very soon.
- Set the cutting wheel speed to about one third less than the maximum specified by the manufacturer.
Tips for working with angle grinder:
- Grinding the material with the side of the cutting wheel is unacceptable;
- Do not allow the disc (cutting wheel) to warp;
- In the area of rotation of the circle should not be any foreign objects, as well as body parts;
- Try not to make deep cuts. Making deep cuts, you risk deforming the cutting wheel, which can subsequently scatter into parts;
- Before you start working with the new cutting wheel, test it for durability. To do this, turn on the tool at idle;
- Do not disdain personal protective equipment (PPE).
Tool in business
When repairing or building, workers are faced with the need for finishing work: polishing, grinding, cleaning surfaces. Without special mechanisms, performing these procedures is quite difficult and time-consuming, to say the least.
Paying attention to the angle grinder, let’s try to figure out the purpose of the tool. Using the tool in question, you can cut or strip almost any material: metal, concrete, wood, etc.
Numerous nozzles (cutting wheels, disks) allow you to cut off any part from metalwork, ceramic tiles of the right size, bricks, blocks, etc. angle grinder (angle grinder) was published thanks to the German company, better known under the name AEG. It happened in the distant forties of the last century.
In the USSR, the instrument came several decades later. in the seventies. At that time, Bulgarian-made angle grinders (Elprom-Lovech) were distributed on the territory of the Soviet Union. From here came the new name of the tool. the angle grinder.
When choosing a power angle grinder, remember that the greater the power of the tool, the harder it is to work.
- Cutting wheels for rough grinding;
- Poppet type nozzles.
Dish-shaped nozzles are made of plastic (rubber), and are used for fine grinding. Brushes made of wire are also used in cleaning metal from rust (they can remove paint on other materials).
Cutting wheels, flint, corundum, are often made with one thickness of 2-3 mm. Such nozzles are used for cutting metal parts. Diamond cutting wheels are used for processing tiles, stone.
Depending on the diameter of the disks used, an angle grinder is used on: 230 mm, 150 mm, 125 mm, 115 mm. Small-sized circles are easy to use, the tool can be held even with one hand. However, it is strongly recommended that you use a protective cover regardless of the thickness of the circle. The angle grinder is held with both hands.
Tricks of working with angle grinder
Metal cutting, profile
For cutting metal, profile, special disks for cutting metal are installed. The protective cover should be adjusted so that excess metal does not get into the eyes. Abrasive cutting is available on special machines. It is worth noting that abrasive cutting is used to process small batches of metal products. Today, more often, it is not abrasive cutting on the machine that is used, but cutting where an angle grinder is used.
For a high-quality metal cutting procedure, the tool needs to be moved “to itself” (sparks in this case will be directed in the opposite direction from you). It should be cut perpendicularly, while it is not necessary to press the disk. Abrasive metal cutting requires compliance with safety rules.
Ceramic tile cutting
It is worth noting that the tool is able to perfectly cut ceramic tiles, which is always useful in the repair process. For such cutting, a diamond wheel is used for dry cutting. If there is a need to cut a large number of tiles in a straight line, you can use the tile cutter or install on the casing rails. Note that the tile does not have to be cut to its entire thickness, since the tile breaks easily enough along the cut line. Res should be done once.
The tool is equipped with special circles called peeling wheels. The thickness of the grinding wheels is in the range of 0.5-1 cm. Please note that for this purpose it is undesirable and even dangerous to use a cutting wheel.
During seam processing, use the side handle. The angle grinder is held with two hands. During the procedure, the angle grinder is at an angle of 30-40 g. in relation to the working surface.
In order to remove rust from the metal surface, you need to install a special wire brush. The rotation speed is limited to 3000 rpm. Do not remove the protective cover, and use glasses. The cleaning procedure involves the use of a brush at an angle to the working surface.
Removing old coatings
To do this, a special dish-type nozzle is installed, equipped with a sanding pad. But achieving a perfectly flat surface is very difficult. So, additional grinding is required.
In this case, the use of a protective casing is not necessary, but you still need to wear glasses. Work should be done at an angle of 30 degrees. to the surface. For successful operation, the angle grinder must have a smooth reciprocating movement on it.
When laying electrical wiring, angle grinder is often required, since it is very convenient to ditch stone or concrete with it. To do this, specialized diamond discs (circle) are used, with which you can cut reinforced concrete.
Using an angle grinder to cut tiles: rules, nuances
During the repair, many people are faced with the need to cut the facing material. Some use a tile cutter, but you can also use an angle grinder. In a professional language, a tool is called a grinder. It cuts tiles efficiently, without leaving cracks and chips on its surface.
Tile Cutting Angle Grinder
How to cut ceramics with a grinder?
Facing walls, the builder sometimes needs to cut tiles for the corners or edges of the wall. When facing walls with curly material, you have to cut more often. Tile is a durable material, so the process must be automated. For such work, you can use the tile cutter, but it is better to use an angle grinder.
Before a novice master, the question always arises of how to cut a tile with an angle grinder. It is advisable to do this with goggles that will protect the eyes from splinter material. It is also worth stocking up with gloves and a protective mask. All equipment is sold in construction markets.
To avoid chipping, it is better to cut the tile angle grinder in a straight line
The tool has several speeds. To obtain a high-quality result, they work at low speeds. For a smoother cut, it is more convenient for the master to use the angle grinder fixed in a vice. In their absence, work is performed on the floor. Under the tool put the remains of building material.
To avoid chipping, it is better to cut the tile angle grinder in a straight line. In case of bending, it is recommended to practice on scraps of material, since these works require real professionalism.
After the cut is made, its lines are cleaned with a grinding tool or sandpaper.
Tile Cutting Options
Advantages of using a grinder for cutting tiles
If there is no tile cutter, you can cut the tile with an angle grinder. It allows you to:
- cut tiles of various configurations;
- cut tiles of any thickness and hardness;
- cut glued tiles.
- Any master probably has a grinder, so you don’t have to buy a tile cutter or other tool for cutting material.
If there is no tile cutter, the tile can be cut with an angle grinder
Varieties of cutting discs
Tile angle grinder is used with cutting discs. They are classified according to purpose. Before a novice master, the question always arises of how to cut ceramic tiles in a circle.
To cut a tile the angular grinder costs around with a diamond crumb. The disk is made of durable steel, and an abrasive coating of diamond chips is applied along its rim. The width of the abrasive coating varies from 1.5 to 3 mm.
In construction markets you can find circles with diamond dusting of 3 types:
For wet cutting use a solid disk. For dry. segmented disk. The turbo disc is universal. To cut tiles, an angle grinder is recommended to buy circles marked with yellow.
Tile angle grinder used with cutting discs
Safety Precautions When Working With Angle Grinder
Tile cutting an angle grinder is considered a rather dangerous process, since the disk rotates at high speed. In order not to harm your health, you must follow the rules:
- before starting the cut it is recommended to wear protective equipment: glasses, a casing, a respirator, gloves;
- work clothes should not be tight and have hanging elements;
- use serviceable angle grinder and discs;
- in the process, the master is obliged to hold the instrument with both hands and not be distracted;
- it is important to fix the power cable away from the device so as not to cut it;
- the tool cannot be put off until the circle completes the movement;
- Do not touch a hot disc;
- use appropriate diameter discs in the process;
- not allowed to work while intoxicated.
For wet cutting use a solid disk
Direct tile cutting
Before working with an angle grinder on the front side of the ceramic, make easy marking with a marker. The disk must be warmed up by turning on the tool for a couple of seconds. Ceramic tile is fixed on a stable surface with a clamp through a rubber gasket or clamped with a foot. In the latter case, the master should have special shoes.
Start with a 1-5 mm cut along the marked line. Its depth depends on the thickness of the ceramic material. It is recommended to start at low speeds, gradually increasing speed. In this case, the cut will be even. After the cut, several nails are placed under the ceramic tile. Tiles are carefully broken.
To avoid chipping, it is better to cut the tile angle grinder in a straight line
Cutting angle grinder circle or hole large diameter
If the project provides for making a circle or hole of a large diameter, then the center of the tile is marked with a marker on the front side of the tile. Using a carbide drill, a 3 mm hole is made. Marker mark the lines of the desired circle. After that, an angle grinder is cut a couple of millimeters along the contour of the circle and cut through it through it. Tiles are removed using wire cutters. The hole in the circle is sanded with a sandpaper.
Figure cutting angle grinder
Cutting curly or rectangular holes
If the project provides for cutting a rectangle or other figure, then lines are marked on its face with a marker. Using carbide drills, 5-7 mm holes are made in the corners of the rectangle. After that, the angle grinder is cut through it through it. The excess tile is removed, and the cut is polished with a file.
Cutting angle grinder of thickened 2 cm porcelain tile
Important nuances when working with ceramics
Before starting the facing work, it is worth deciding how to cut the ceramic tile without damaging its surface and sidewalls. The cutting diamond blade must be properly secured with a key. Tile cutting angle grinder has its own specifics. It is important to lay the tile or porcelain tile on a flat, not rickety surface and fix it with a clamp or clamp it with your foot.
For wet cutting use a solid disk
Grinder transformation into a cutting machine
Ceramic tile cutting angle grinder is widespread. However, using an unsecured device is difficult and unsafe. For convenience, it can be upgraded to a cutting machine.
For the manufacture of the machine you need to prepare the following materials:
- square profiled pipe 40×40 and 20×20;
- rectangular profile 40×20;
- metal corner 32 mm;
- bearings 32 mm;
- threaded rods M12.
- The result should be a square profiled frame, which will be reinforced with jumpers located across. A mechanism is installed on the frame, fixing the tool and allowing you to change its position.
Tile angle grinder used with cutting discs
- Open the profile into 1×1 m segments.
- Weld the frame, assemble the beam. The beam design consists of a pair of 40×20 profiles and inserts from a profiled pipe 20×20. Weld a T-post perpendicularly to the rear of the structure, allowing you to hold the assembly on the frame.
- In parallel with the structure, weld two jumpers fixing the rack fasteners with holes for fasteners.
- Secure the rocker arm with bearings and level.
- Weld a pair of clamps for the grinder to the front of the structure. Install the handle. The tool is ready, you can cut tiles.
To avoid chipping, it is better to cut the tile angle grinder in a straight line
Ceramic cutting without chips and cracks
Before starting repairs, you need to select the correct drive. The result depends on it. The disk must be of high quality and have a long service life.
Ceramic or porcelain stoneware should be cut with a diamond wheel. Most often, builders use a dry cutting disc. The costs of this process are a lot of dust. With this cutting method, you get the perfect cut without chips and scratches.
Figure cutting angle grinder
If you need to cut a large amount of building material, it is recommended to use a disk for wet cutting. With this method of cutting, a small amount of water is supplied to the disc grinder and the dust does not rise.
Before work, it is recommended to check the reliability of the drive. When the disc is in the correct position, the tile does not chip.
Tile Cutting Angle Grinder
Tile Cutter Table
In order to qualitatively cut the building material, it is recommended to place it on the tile cutting table. You can make such a table yourself from improvised material. At the first stage, a steel frame is constructed. Fix the tabletop to the structure. The optimal material for the cover is a 5 mm thick steel sheet with a slot for the thickness of the cutting disc. To facilitate work under the table top, it is recommended to install fixture for the tool.