How to cut a 45 degree skirting board
Installation of a ceiling plinth cannot be called a complicated and time-consuming process; even a novice master can do it. However, for a high-quality work, you need to know all the intricacies of installing ceiling plinths. When solving this issue, you should be especially careful about the design of the corners. Errors and shortcomings at this stage cause the formation of cracks and mismatches, which to a greater extent spoil the appearance of the entire ceiling. Therefore, the problem of how to stick the ceiling plinth in the corners can be called actual.
Before gluing the skirting boards to the ceiling in the corners, you need to prepare the tools that will be needed when gluing the ceiling skirting board:
- To calculate the required amount of materials, you need a tape measure.
- It is recommended to fix the ceiling skirting boards with quick-drying glue or putty.
- You can knead the adhesive in a pre-prepared container, it is best to apply the putty with a spatula.
- Remove excess glue or putty with a dry, clean cloth.
- For cutting skirting boards at a certain angle, it is best to use a miter box.
- Direct cutting of products is performed with a sharp construction knife or file.
It is recommended to glue the ceiling plinth on a previously filled and leveled wall. As for the wallpaper, they are glued after the fillets are installed. In this case, the fastening of the elements will be more durable. In addition, when gluing new wallpaper, there is no need to change the ceiling plinth, since wallpaper strips are glued along the lower edge of the fillet. Fixing over the wallpaper reduces the fixing strength of the skirting board and requires its dismantling when changing the finishing material for the walls.
The problem of how to properly glue the ceiling plinth in the corners is recommended to be solved using acrylic or silicone glue, characterized by fast drying, or on a construction putty. With the help of a putty, the skirting board is glued directly to the wall, the frieze is glued to the wallpaper using quick-drying glue. When using these materials for fixing products, there is no need to hold the elements for a long time to set the adhesive backing. In addition, with putty, you can simultaneously repair wall defects in the form of irregularities and cracks.
Using a thread or construction cord, it is necessary to draw a control line in accordance with the width of the frieze. In this case, you can count on a more even gluing of the ceiling plinth, and the process itself will not cause much trouble.
How to glue skirting boards to the ceiling in the corners. step by step guide
When performing repair and finishing work, each stage should be treated responsibly. The final stage, when additional and decorative elements are mounted, requires special care. Most often they are in plain sight, so any mistake can spoil the appearance of the entire interior. Therefore, it is necessary to strive for the perfect execution of the final stages of repair and decoration.
The completion of any work on finishing the ceiling is the installation of ceiling skirting boards, which are called friezes or fillets. Thanks to this element, the transition between the ceiling and the wall becomes smooth, and the renovation takes on a complete look.
The main purpose of the ceiling plinth is to decorate the room, so you need to choose a fillet in accordance with the overall interior. In addition, this element allows you to mask minor defects at the junction of the ceiling and walls. Therefore, it is important to know how to glue fillets correctly.
Cutting skirting boards at an angle
The process of deciding how to glue a wide ceiling plinth always starts in one of the corners. Many manufacturers in the process of manufacturing products cut the skirting boards at a certain slope for easier decoration of external and internal corners. The problem of fitting fillets with a complex pattern or pattern is especially urgent. When using a cornerless ceiling plinth, you can correctly and beautifully arrange the corner using a miter box or a file.
In order not to spoil the appearance of the baguette, it is necessary to properly cut off its corners. To form a normal right angle, the plinth should be cut at an angle of 45 degrees towards each other.
Determination of the slope and cutting of the skirting board is carried out as follows:
- The product is applied to the ceiling in order to understand the direction of the cut for proper installation.
- You need to cut baguettes in a mirror image.
- To decorate the inner corner, the top edge is made shorter than the bottom edge.
- Correct outer corner occurs when the top edge is longer than the bottom.
- On the ceiling plinth, which will be located on the right side, make a cut on the left side.
- The product located on the left side should have a cut on the right side.
- When cutting the skirting board, you must carefully advance the knife in one direction. In this case, the formation of chips and roughness can be avoided.
The appearance of the ceiling depends on the correct solution to the question of how to glue and cut ceiling plinths.
For self-production of a miter box, you must perform the following steps:
- Take any solid foundation and draw a line on it.
- Then they retreat about 10 cm and draw a line parallel to it.
- Draw a line through the parallels at right angles to them.
- Measure 5 cm from this line on each mowing line and connect opposite points.
- The resulting mowing lines form an angle of 45 degrees with the parallels.
To cut the skirting board using a homemade miter box, the product is laid along the parallels and cut along the marks, taking into account the direction of the corner.
However, it should be understood that for angles other than 90 degrees, it is necessary to cut the skirting board at a different slope. In this case, the product is applied to the wall and its boundaries are outlined. Then the place of intersection of the skirting boards is determined and the corresponding marks are put. The baguette cut is performed according to these marks.
Selection of material and calculation of the number of skirting boards
Ceiling plinths are very popular, for the manufacture of which polystyrene, polyurethane and expanded polystyrene were used. The main advantages of such products are lightness, resistance to moisture and temperature extremes. Thanks to the various widths and a large selection of patterns and reliefs, it becomes possible to choose a skirting board to create any decorative effect. Additional coloring of the ceiling plinths makes it possible to create a variety of artistic decor.
The problem of how to stick polystyrene and expanded polystyrene skirting boards on the ceiling should be solved with extreme caution, since they are easily deformed and damaged by mechanical stress. As for polyurethane fillets, such design elements are characterized by increased strength and the ability to maintain a clear relief shape.
Polyvinyl chloride ceiling plinth is widely used in cases where the budget for renovation and decoration of the premises is limited. However, when using it, it should be remembered that such products are not recommended to be painted. In addition, PVC skirting boards are afraid of temperature extremes, under their influence, product deformation may occur.
When choosing gypsum, wooden or aluminum skirting boards for ceiling decoration, you should remember a few very important points. First, such products cannot be bent due to the low ductility of the base material. Secondly, the skirting boards are quite heavy. The presence of these qualities makes the solution to the question of how to glue fillets on the ceiling, special.
Before you go shopping for skirting boards, you need to make a few calculations. In particular, it is required to determine how much material is required to finish the ceiling in a room of a certain area. First, you should measure the perimeter of the room, this value will correspond to the total length of the ceiling plinth. To calculate the number of fillets, it is necessary to divide the perimeter of the room by the standard length of the products, which corresponds to 1.2 meters, 1.4 meters and 2 meters. Experienced craftsmen performing finishing work recommend purchasing skirting boards of greater length, in this case, fewer connections are obtained.
The width of the skirting board is determined according to the height of the ceilings in the room. In rooms with low ceilings, it is better to use narrow products; for high rooms, it is recommended to install a wide ceiling plinth. This visually reduces the height of the room.
Gluing the ceiling plinth
For high-quality gluing of the baguette, you must do the following:
- Take a baguette and put glue on its back.
- The place of fixation of the product can be moistened with a primer or plain water to increase the adhesion of surfaces.
- The plinth is firmly pressed against the wall and ceiling and held for a while.
- Excess glue or putty is removed immediately.
- The resulting cracks and gaps are covered with putty.
If necessary, the skirting boards are painted in the desired color.
Additional installation guidelines
- Install the skirting board only when you have already prepared the next one. Do it on the floor, not under the ceiling.
- Patience, patience and patience again. Joints sometimes have to be tweaked more than once. Do not be nervous, be attentive, and everything will work out.
- With the use of foam and plastic, you can afford to leave small gaps in the joints of the corners. Putty hides them well. Be careful with the tree.
Cutting without miter box
If you do not have such a device, and you are not going to purchase it for one-time use, then you can use the following methods, how to cut the plinth at 45 degrees.
- The first way is to make this simple carpentry tool yourself. To do this, knocks down the most ordinary wooden tray. Then we measure the cut line with a protractor or school square. We cut the grooves and we have a primitive device ready.
- Second way. how to cut a skirting board at an angle is even easier. It is especially painless to use it in cases where the corners of the room are not even.
We don’t need a tray. Two boards knocked down at 90 degrees and a stencil made of cardboard with a line drawn for orientation is enough.
- Third way. In this case, we do not knock anything down at all, but simply use a table set against the wall or any other similar structure.
We mark the future joints directly on the product itself, on the wall and on the ceiling. We apply the plinth the way we are going to mount, and cut according to the marked marks.
The simplest way without the use of special tools
Remember: hold the tool vertically while cutting to obtain a right angle.
Composition and features of the material
To understand how to properly cut the baseboard, you need to understand its composition. This will help you choose the right tool and cutting technology.
- Styrofoam. The price and strength of this material are the lowest. But since we create a decorative ceiling decoration, strength is not particularly required.
- Styrofoam ceiling skirting board is more dense. than regular foam. The most common knife is used to cut such material.
Tip: sharpen the knife well before use. This will eliminate the presence of torn edges at the cut.
How to cut a skirting board straight
- Wood. Here you have to put more effort into processing. Use only a hacksaw for wood.
Tip: The finer and more frequent the saw tooth, the smoother the edges will be. You can even use a sheet for metal.
- Plastic. How to cut off a plastic skirting board? The same method is suitable here as with a tree. a saw, a hacksaw. Alternatively, you can also use an angle grinder.
Using a regular hacksaw blade
External ceiling corner view
We already cut the ceiling corners on the inside of the device.
Having inserted the left plinth into the miter box, we cut off the left outer corner. Substitute Right. Right Outer Edge Mode.
Cutting with a miter box
What is a miter box? This is a special tray made of wood, aluminum or plastic with provided grooves to guide the saw at the desired angle.
Here is a quick guide to using such a carpentry tool:
- Training. We take the product and put it in the tray. Align in the position in which it will be installed on the ceiling.
- Cutting. With the other hand, insert the cutting tool into the groove. It can be a knife or a hacksaw. And we cut it boldly. The device will not let you miss the intended place.
You should know: a blade for metal is also suitable for cutting foam.
- Treatment. Wood skirting boards may need to be filed to level the cut edges. Plastic or foam can be tweaked with a knife, the main thing is that it is sharp enough.
Tip: When cutting, do not put pressure on the product. Styrofoam can crumble, and the tree can split altogether.
It’s so easy and simple to use the miter box
Diligence Produces Results
If you still have any questions, then the visual in this article will help to resolve them.
By carefully following the recommendations and taking into account the peculiarities of the material with which you work, you can give your ceiling beauty and originality. Choose the method that you like and go ahead! You will succeed (read also about the advantages of PVC skirting boards).
Such an angle in geometric problems occurs quite often, so it is important to understand what it is and how to build it.
The easiest way is to build an angle of 45 degrees without special tools (like a protractor) on a sheet of a notebook in a box.
Inside corner view
First, let’s set the left and right skirting boards at right angles. We insert the left product into the miter box, applying it to the outside, cut off the left inner corner. Then we do a similar operation with the right one. Done.
The product is installed around the perimeter of a rectangular room. Trimmed to trim right angles. Therefore, we will consider how to cut the skirting board at 45 degrees.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners. options and methods
Ceiling skirting boards are an integral part of the finishing of the ceiling space. With their help, cracks and wall defects are masked, they can be used to cover the irregularities of the suspended ceiling structure or wallpaper. In addition, skirting boards complete the interior of the room. One of the problems in the assembly process of these elements is the perfect joining in the corners. The question of how to cut a plinth to the ceiling in the corners is solved in several ways.
Cutting the skirting board in the corners without special tools
The question of how to properly cut off a 45-degree angle on a plinth can be solved without a special device. To do this, perform the following actions:
- Take a sheet of paper and apply a baseboard to it.
- Draw two parallel mowing lines to mark the sides.
- Then they take a regular protractor and measure 45 0.
- The line of the future cut is drawn along the mark made.
- Before cutting the ceiling plinth, it is laid on a sheet of paper, while controlling the coincidence of the lines and sides.
- The markings from the sheet are transferred to the plinth and a cut is made in the right place.
The disadvantage of this method is the need to keep the saw on weight during the cutting process.
Skirting board cutting tool set
Working tools when solving the problem of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners are selected depending on the material from which the plinth is made, since each of them has its own processing characteristics:
- The PVC skirting board has no resistance to mechanical stress at all. Even light pressure results in irreparable damage. Therefore, no great effort is required during the cutting process. The question of how to cut a PVC skirting board is solved using a blade, a sharpened construction knife or a hacksaw for metal.
- Polystyrene skirting boards are also not very durable, but in comparison with polyvinyl chloride they have a higher quality, moreover, they crumble easily. Cutting the foam ceiling plinth is done with sharp tools, just like PVC.
- Wooden skirting boards have higher strength characteristics and aesthetically pleasing appearance. However, the cost of such products is quite high. For cutting wood skirting boards, it is recommended to use a wood hacksaw with frequent teeth, since the teeth of a hacksaw for metal are easily clogged with sawdust.
Self-made miter box
The miter box can be made by hand using wood or metal. The width of the workpiece can be different, the main thing is that it does not exceed the size of the hacksaw, in this case, such a task as cutting off the corner of the ceiling plinth will be easier to complete.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
How to cut an external mitre / outside corner on skirting boards / baseboards.
- A transverse line is drawn in the center of the workpiece.
- From it, in both directions, measure half the width of the workpiece and make marks.
- Labels connect crosswise.
- Now you need to mark the side walls of the device.
- The walls are alternately applied to the base and marks are made in accordance with the markings on it.
- At these marks, straight transverse mowing lines are drawn along the walls.
- Next, they start assembling the miter box. The side walls are attached to the base with self-tapping screws or bolts, depending on the material used.
- Saw slots are made after hollow assembly of the fixture.
Using a factory-made or self-made miter box, you can speed up the process of cutting skirting boards up to 10 times. This is especially important for craftsmen who regularly carry out repair work and are faced with the task of how to cut a ceiling plinth.
How to cut a plinth for a ceiling
First, a miter box is used to properly cut the skirting board. This device is a special tray that allows you to cut wood, plastic or other materials at the desired angle. The miter box can be purchased in a retail network or made by hand; in the first case, a saw may be included in the kit. However, a tool available from a home craftsman for cutting materials may well be used.
The device has a recess into which skirting boards or boards are inserted. There is also a saw slot with an inclination of 45 and 90 degrees. For example, you can consider how to cut corners on a ceiling plinth at an angle of 45 0 using a miter box.
Such a process involves the following actions:
- The plinth must be attached to the attachment point.
- Make a mark for cutting.
- Install the plinth into the recess of the miter box, pressing it against the surface of the device with its underside. In this case, the side intended for applying the adhesive must look up.
- A saw is inserted into the hole for a 45 degree cut and the plinth is sawed off.
- Using the same saw or knife, the cut can be corrected by removing irregularities.
- The plinth is glued in place. The task of how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners is considered solved.
How to cut a skirting board for an angle other than 90 degrees
Many rooms boast angles that do not correspond to 90 degrees. Such situations arise as a result of shrinkage of the soil and the structure itself, as well as in violation of the technology of wall construction.
In this case, the correct marking with a miter box or drawing will not work, all actions are performed directly on the spot:
- Before you cut the corner of the ceiling plinth, it is applied to one of the walls and an emphasis is made with its end to the other wall.
- A line is drawn along the plinth.
- Perform similar actions on another wall.
- At the intersection of the two lines, a mark is made on one of the skirting boards, which is connected to the corner of the workpiece. An incision is made along this mowing line.
- Repeat the steps on the other plinth and try on both blanks. Make the necessary adjustments.
- The skirting boards are glued in place, the joint in this case must be tight enough.
Working with outside corners
As a rule, there may be external corners in the rooms, which also need to be pasted over with skirting boards. The question of how to cut the skirting boards at the corners of the ceiling in this case can be solved in the following ways:
- Using a miter box. Almost the same actions are performed as for internal corners. The only difference is that the glued side of the plinth is pressed against the surface of the device.
- The markup is in place. Similar to the inner corners, a mowing line is drawn on the ceiling and the same technology is used. With a rounded external corner joint, the joint is finalized with a knife.
- Measure the length of the plinth from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave the fishing line on the wrong side with a pencil, indicating the desired length. It should be noted that the edge (its upper part) should protrude slightly outward.
- The plinth is moved to the miter box and cut off.
- The adjacent bar also needs to be measured with a margin and cut off in a mirror image to the first part.
Trying on the ceiling plinth: the joining of the parts should be perfectly flat. If the result is not achieved and there are irregularities at the joints, you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife to a perfect fit.
Checking the smooth docking
All the nuances are well described in the video:
The first way is with a miter box
Professional miter box with rotary hacksaw
The miter box usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool is the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool for cutting wood pieces at 90 ° and 45 ° angles. There are types of such a device for professional work, with a rotary mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
Ceiling corners are divided into internal and external, the method of joining them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a miter box with your own hands. To do this, you need three trims from plywood or boards of the same size. First, they are applied in the form of an inverted letter “P” and the corners are marked. Then, according to the marking, slots are cut out for a hacksaw almost to the very bottom, and the boards are twisted.
Method two. no additional tools
For the inner corner, you can use the simplest way of perfect joining. by marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a corner nice and even.
- Apply a fillet to the ceiling, firmly pressing its even edge into a corner.
- Draw a line along the long side of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The same action is done with the adjacent part on the other side.
The end result is an even 45 ° angle when you draw the line from the point of intersection to the edge of the part. Note that the above marking method works only at perfectly flat corners.
How to cut the corner of a skirting board evenly
A beautiful and neat edging of the ceiling hides the joints between the coverings and is an additional element of the room’s decor. But in order for the ceiling plinth to look really beautiful, you need to be able to qualitatively join its corner joints.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth evenly can be found in our article.
Related article: how to properly glue the ceiling plinth with glue and putty.
- Making the right measurements.
- We install the plinth strip in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 ° in a special hole and cut off the part.
- The adjacent part must be cut in the same way, only in a mirror image, as shown in the photo.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, expanded polystyrene), use a hacksaw for metal or an ordinary construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with smooth edges.
With a good eye and accuracy of hand action, you can use a homemade template that resembles an imitation of a miter box. To do this, take a thin board or thick plywood and draw a layout in the form of a horizontal rectangle. Using a protractor, mark 45 ° on the right and left sides of the rectangle. Draw mowing lines connecting opposite edges. You can now cut off the ceiling plinth using this layout. The actions are simple and similar to the description above in the first option. Only the ceiling parts should not be inserted, but placed on the drawing and the hacksaw should be combined with the layout of the layout.
Special accessories for docking
Features of the
Previously, the ceiling plinth had a different name. fillet. Translated from German means “notch” or “groove”. The material for the manufacture of this decorative element was gypsum, which was poured into a prepared mold. The cured gypsum element was fixed to the ceiling surface with mortar. Today, gypsum ceiling plinth is very rare, its cost is high, and it is much more difficult to install it in comparison with modern counterparts.
Ceiling elements are now available in several types of materials in numerous configurations. They are cheaper than gypsum ones, but they look no worse. The cheapest copies are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC). This material is subject to deformation with insignificant mechanical stress, the formation of irreparable dents or creases leads to a complete replacement of the element. In addition, all manufactured PVC skirting boards are electrostatic, dust accumulates very quickly on them.
Ceiling plinths made of polyurethane and polystyrene are among the most demanded products. They gained their popularity due to their reasonable price, a wide range of profile patterns, a variety of sizes (their width varies within 5–250 mm), as well as resistance to moisture. Polyurethane ceiling elements can be found in the design of many rooms, they look great in any interior. But, there are also disadvantages, the material does not tolerate temperature changes, is prone to cracking, especially if installed above a stove.
The classic version of the ceiling plinth is a wood product. Wooden elements, unlike the listed types, are not installed on glue; self-tapping screws are used to fix them. Plinths made of this material are used to decorate wooden houses or rooms, whose style is dictated by the use of wooden elements.
Ceiling skirting boards: how to cut corners?
- Features of the
- Required tools
- How to cut?
- Outside corner
Any renovation work is always completed with finishing. In rare cases, the interior of the room does without a ceiling plinth, its presence helps to hide the joints of the finishing materials used for wall and ceiling surfaces, in addition, do not forget about the decorative function that this element carries. It is not difficult to arrange the perimeter of the room by simply fixing it in a straight line. It is much more difficult to properly cut it in the corners without spoiling the material and spending a minimum of time and money.
For the outer corner, the skirting board is trimmed at an angle of 45 degrees. First you need to check the evenness of the outer corner. If the wall surfaces are in contact with each other at exactly 90 degrees, you can use a miter box to trim the skirting board. In order to properly cut the outer corner planks, it is necessary to correctly position both parts of the skirting board.
First, you need to outline the length of both halves, and only then trim them at an angle of 45 degrees. In order not to change the position of the saw and not to get confused with the location of the halves of the plinth, it is necessary to correctly position them in the miter box. The left half is laid face up, with the part adjacent to the ceiling closer to the center, and the second side adjacent to the wall should be pressed against the slotted sidewall. With the right half, everything is different: it needs to be laid face down in the miter box, and the location of the adjacent parts to the ceiling and wall here will be the same.
For a straight cut, the bar placed in the miter box must be pressed against the sidewall, placing it as close as possible to the slot. Holding the workpiece with your left hand, you need to carefully make a cut and put it aside. The second half of the skirting board should be cut in the same way, remembering to turn it face down.
In the absence of a miter box, you can make a draft of it on paper or cardboard. First, draw a rectangle, inside which, on the longer sides, draw two more parallel mowing lines. On each side, inside the lines, using a protractor, set the desired angle in different directions. Preparation and subsequent cutting of workpieces is exactly the same as using the tool itself.
This method is good in that you can postpone the angle not strictly 45 or 90 degrees, but a little more or less, because the surfaces of the walls in the corners are not always directed towards each other at an angle of 90 degrees, there are errors. Therefore, for a more accurate cut on the miter box depicted on paper, you can draw any angle using a protractor. The degree of the angle is first checked using a protractor, the resulting value is divided by 2. The resulting number will be the exact degree for the correct undercut.
If desired, you can build a miter box with your own hands. The easiest way is to make a tool out of wood, you just need to take three planks and put them together in the shape of the letter P. Then make marks on the side parts at different degrees, using a hacksaw to make slots. You can also make a miter box from two boards, having previously made slots in them, or use a drawing with the desired angles on paper to accurately determine the slope.
You can even use a table as an improvised tool. The main thing is that he has angles along which he could navigate.
In order to properly cut the outer corners, you can do without any auxiliary tools and drawings on paper at all, you just need to design the future corner in place.
The outer corner skirting board always protrudes into the room by an amount equal to its width, therefore, to determine the exact cut, it is necessary to make marks on the right and left half of the skirting board. You need to set aside the width from the side adjacent to the wall. Then, from the resulting point, lead the line to the upper corner of the half. The resulting triangle must be cut, and the halves must be joined in place for a preview.
How to cut?
There are two main questions facing the installation of a ceiling plinth. How to properly cut a skirting board without gaps and with perfect fit in the corners, and what tools should you use to end up with a beautifully positioned ceiling element? In order to understand these issues, it is necessary to study all the methods and tools used in trimming the skirting board. Almost all methods and tools can be used to adjust the skirting board in both internal and external corners.
The same methods and tools can be used to join the halves of the skirting board in the inner corner. The location of the halves in the miter box when cutting for the inner corner is identical to the location of the parts used for joining the outer corner. But, you do not need to turn the right half of the plinth for a cut, but only change the slope of the cut (use a different cut). In any case, on the left side of the plinth, the line will be angled to the left of the corner point located on the side adjacent to the wall, and on the right side of the plinth, the line will be angled to the right of the similarly located point.
For perfectly flat corner surfaces, you can use a regular square instead of a miter box. To do this, you need to press half of the baseboard to the inner corner of the ruler and cut off the unnecessary part at an angle of 45 degrees. It is not difficult to do this, since the side of the ruler and part of the plinth form a total of 90 degrees, the notch line divides this angle in half, which means that part of the plinth will be cut at an angle of 45 degrees.
For wooden and plastic skirting boards, it will not work to make an incision in place, you can only apply a marking on the surface of the skirting board, and then cut the cut along the mark using a hacksaw or a saw.
In order to properly cut and then join the halves of the skirting board for the inner corner, you need to measure in place with a simple pencil. The right workpiece must be applied to the corner from the corresponding side until it stops. On the ceiling surface, draw a line along the half and remove the workpiece to the side. We do the same with the other half.
At the intersection of the two lines, a point has formed with which you need to make marks on each half of the skirting board. To put a point, you need to attach a half to the docking place. From the resulting point, you need to draw the line to the bottom corner of the half, as a result, you get a small triangle, which you need to cut off.
The halves cut in this way must be adjusted to each other, with inaccurately cut edges, the cuts can be leveled with a knife if the material of manufacture is foam.
To eliminate minor blemishes on the cut of wooden or polyurethane skirting boards, you will have to use a file. Only after complete coincidence of the cuts can you start fixing the halves.
Sometimes you can’t get a perfect fit, but there is always a way out. To eliminate cracks, you can use a putty. The choice of filler depends on the baseboard material. In order to eliminate inaccuracies in trimming the skirting boards, you need to practice using small pieces of the skirting board or cut the planks slightly longer than the intended size. Such a margin will make it possible to make a new undercut in case it was made with the wrong slope or the material at the cut point was deformed.
Installing a skirting board means trimming the excess length and adjusting it in the corners. In order to do a pruning, you need tools. The choice of this or that type of tool depends on the material from which the plinth is made.
When working with wood and plastic, use an electric miter saw. Cutting with this tool is accurate, fast and effortless, you just need to set the desired parameters and correctly lay the skirting board. It will not be difficult to choose the appropriate tool, since manufacturers produce this tool in a wide price range.
But, with wood and plastic, you can cope with another well-known carpentry tool. a miter box paired with a hacksaw. This tool is in the shape of a tray, made either from wood, or from plastic, or from metal. In the two parallel sidewalls of the miter box, there are slots for the saw, for easy cutting of the plinth at the desired angle. In a simple tool modification, the ceiling element can be cut at an angle of 45 or 90 degrees, and in a more complex version, the plinth can be cut at an angle of 60 degrees.
A miter box and a hacksaw are cheaper than a miter saw, but they also have their drawback. this is the risk of damage to the material, especially if the quality of the purchased material is poor. In addition, the miter box is more suitable for rooms with smooth walls and corners.
For a smoother cut without the risk of damage to the material and without delamination of the structure, a jigsaw is suitable. It is easy to operate this tool, with its help you can set any direction and make the most accurate cuts. For materials lighter in weight and with a less strong structure, you can use an ordinary construction knife, the main thing is to pick up a specimen with a sharp blade.
For a good fit of the ceiling plinth, it is not enough to properly cut and join the halves, you also need to glue them correctly. In order not to later cover up the cracks in the corners or alter the work altogether, you need to adhere to certain recommendations.
- Before the final installation of the skirting board, it is necessary to properly prepare the surfaces that will come into contact with it. Priming or simply treating parts of the ceiling and wall surfaces will help improve the adhesion between the skirting board and surfaces.
- The corners of the room in which the skirting boards are installed should be decorated first. The remaining sections of the perimeter are mounted only after the complete installation of the corner elements.
How to cut skirting board or baseboard corners. No power tools required!
If there are not only internal, but also external corners in the room, the priority is in the design at the internal corners, since there is a risk of making a mistake with the length of the plinth.
- In order to fix the ceiling element without gaps, it is necessary to press the plinth quite tightly to both surfaces. It is worth remembering that excessive pressure on some materials can lead to deformation of the element.
- To avoid glue residues getting on the front surface of the element, you should immediately remove the excess adhesive before it has time to dry.
- Sealing joints and cracks with a sealant should be carried out only after the glue has completely dried. Compositions with acrylic are most suitable as a sealant.
For information on how to cut the ceiling plinth, see the next video.