How to cut a countertop for a round sink
How to cut a sink into a countertop: useful tips and step-by-step instructions
If you are installing a new kitchen unit, then at the very end of the inevitable question arises, how to cut the sink into the countertop so that all eventually looked solid, and the water did not leak. There are several types of sinks, and each has its own features in terms of installation.
The type of sink determines how it is mounted on the worktop. Most often found in the kitchen:
- Overhead. cheap and cordless, but the gaps still remain, the installation goes on a freestanding module;
- mortise type. reliable, but expensive, the fixing goes through clamps and brackets in the base cut out specially for the sink.
There are also underbench variants. But are used quite rarely: expensive and not always suitable. Here you also need to cut a hole, but it is located slightly below the level, creating the illusion of wholeness with the countertop.
Mounting an overhead sink
Such a sink completely overlaps the entire module of the kitchen set, installed literally in two accounts, but objectively has one characteristic drawback: there will inevitably be gaps between it and the set. This can lead to furniture deterioration, as moisture is bound to get in, even with the most careful use.
How to calculate the height and depth of the kitchen cabinets you’ll learn in our separate article move.
You will need the usual short self-tapping screws and standard mounting angles (they are often called “crocodiles”). 4 pieces each. First, make a mark on the inside of the headset and screw in screws about 1 cm below the top. Only screw in not all the way. you need to leave a margin of 0.3-0.5 cm, so that the “crocodile” freely caught on it.
After you’ve set the sink, methodically align it in the corners. It remains to fix on the self-tapping screws those 4 corners. It’s elementary: put it on. push it all the way in. And so four times.
The function of a modern kitchen sink
In order to optimize the cooking process, you need to correctly position furniture and appliances in the kitchen. According to existing principles of ergonomics, the placement of furniture and equipment in this room is made taking into account the sequence of work.
For this reason, the furnishings are placed in the direction from left to right, and in a specific sequence: refrigerator. Next, the dishwasher unit (if present). kitchen sink. gas or electric stove. Between them should be placed modules with work surfaces.
It is also necessary to observe the minimum spacing between the above-mentioned objects:
- The distance from the sink to the stove and between the stove and the refrigerator should be about 40 centimeters;
- the refrigerator and the stove should be installed so that there is 40 centimeters between them.
Before you mortise the sink into the kitchen countertop, it must be chosen correctly, taking into account the following characteristics:
- Functionality. It depends on the anticipated type of kitchen work, the number of bowls in the sink and the wings intended for drying. These objects will be used when the user is accustomed to doing several things at once.
- Capacity. When figuring out this parameter, you need to consider the amount of dishes you have to wash on a daily basis.
- Durability and stability. They mainly depend on the material of construction.
- Design. The design of the sink must perfectly match the surrounding interior, so that it is a complete object of the created concept.
- Convenient in use. Its configuration should provide a comfortable performance of kitchen work.
Types of sinks and their constructional features
There are a number of requirements, how to properly install the sink in the countertop. The process must be done in accordance with technology. The choice of a particular solution regarding the method of installation depends on the design of the sink.
The following types are the most popular:
- Overhead items. Considered the most budget-friendly option, which features easy installation of the sink into the countertop. This installation principle is based on the fact that the sink is placed on a freestanding cabinet, making it an extension of the countertop. Sinks of this type have disadvantages. insufficient thickness of the material of the products and the presence of a gap between them and the countertop, which is inconvenient. Experts recommend choosing an overhead sink when there are several separate sections in the kitchen set. If they are united by a common tabletop, the best option would be to use a recessed model.
- recessed sinks. The installation of these products is made directly into the countertop. Begin the installation work by preparing a hole in it. Technology of embedding the sink into the countertop provides for attaching the design on the inside of the module with special brackets and clamps. Built-in models of this type are distinguished by solid appearance and convenient operation. Despite the fact that they have a high cost, experts with extensive experience prefer them because of their practicality and the ability to prevent the accumulation of moisture between the cabinets.
- Pedestal wash basins. The price of these innovative models is so high that it makes them unaffordable for most consumers. The principle of installation of such sanitary ware involves their fixation below the level of the countertop and therefore they form a single unit with it. Underbench sinks have an aesthetic appearance and good noise absorption. Thanks to effective sealing of joints, these products are characterized by hygiene and durability.
Features of communication connection
The next step is to attach the fittings to the countertop for the subsequent process of installing faucets and hoses. The siphon is attached to the already installed sink for convenience.
The sink must be supplied with specialized hinges for screw clamping, they will be in the form of legs. They allow for a tighter and more secure sealing of the rims on the worktop. Do not tighten the mounting devices with screws with excessive force. If you overdo it, the rims of the sink may bend upward.
The place for the cutout is chosen taking into account the minimum distance for draining water into the sewer and water connection.
Installing a stone sink
After reading the detailed instructions will no longer be a question: how to cut a countertop under the sink. The work can be done quickly and without any problems.
Fitting a sink into a construction made of other materials
Install the sink in the countertop made of wood or particle board, having the required tools and simple skills of handling it, is not difficult. durable will be installed in the cooking area countertop made of artificial or natural stone. It will look more solid, but it will be more difficult to install the sink into it independently.
The use of sealant not only prevents unwanted water penetration
When buying kitchen furniture with such a surface, it is desirable to have a ready-made product, which will only require connection to the water and sewage system.
To wood and plastic more often use sealants containing alcohol.
If the sink is purchased separately and needs to be installed, it is advisable to entrust this work to professionals. In a stone workshop, craftsmen will do the work required without damaging the surface. They have the appropriate skills for this and have a complete set of necessary tools.
For different surfaces a different sealant is intended.
If it is decided to cut a hole in the countertop under the sink by your own efforts, you will need a special tool. “angle grinder” with a diamond wheel. When working with these tools they need to be very attentive. It will be necessary to wear protective gloves on hands, and protect the face with a special transparent face shield.
Sealant serves to prevent moisture in the place of contact of sink and countertop.
It is better to do it in the open air, as there will be a lot of dust in the process of sawing. The sequence and manipulation is similar to sawing a hole in the chipboard.
The place for the cutout is chosen taking into account the minimum distance for drainage and water connection.
Installing the sink video. Inserting the sink into the countertop.
The washing machine is most commonly seen in the bathroom. However, not every layout allows space for this device in the bathroom. With a competent approach to the matter, the washing machine will successfully fit.
Many housewives, choosing furniture for the kitchen, look primarily at its appearance. However, the design should be a secondary issue. The most important is the material from which the kitchen set is made.
Installing a built-in dishwasher in the cabinet is quite possible without. If the owner does not know how to build a dishwasher in a regular kitchen cabinet and wants to make the installation for the first time.
The kitchen in Russia is not just an auxiliary room equipped with appliances, not just a dining area. It is a hearth in the house, where comfort and coziness reign, a place of communication, which disposes to frankness. О.
Wood is an excellent material for furniture, strong, aesthetic and hardwearing. Made of it products are elegant and practical, and if they are made with their own hands, then.
Unfortunately, the reality of life in Russia is that the kitchen in most homes, and even more so in apartments, have a modest size. They are more or less able to meet the needs.
Despite the fact that the work itself is not particularly difficult to perform, they require careful preparation. It is necessary to prepare all the necessary tools. These include an electric or hand drill, an electric jigsaw, a hacksaw, a small saw, a brush, a marker or pencil, measuring tools.
Once all the necessary tools and appliances are ready, you can begin to carry out the work. Before you start sawing out the hole, you need to mark the countertop for the kerf. This work can be done in several ways.
- For marking, you can use a special template, reflecting the necessary parameters of the hole needed to install the sink. Such templates can often be found in the box along with this element of plumbing.
- The template can be made by yourself. To do this, you need to turn the sink over, attach it to a sheet of cardboard, for example, and trace the outline. Then use scissors to cut the workpiece, which must then be reduced by about 3 cm on each side.
- And you can do easier and just put the upside-down sink to the countertop in the place of its intended installation and with a pencil trace the contour. Then the sink can be removed, and with a pencil similar to the previous example, repeat the contour of the sink, but a few centimeters less.
Options for sinks
Using video and photo instructions, you can without much trouble yourself and absolutely correctly perform embedding or installation.
But the prescribed step-by-step instructions can be focused on the specific products that need to be fixed to the countertop. The chosen method of installation directly depends on the sink you’ve bought.
- Surface-mounted. The most budget-friendly and easy to install. Fitted on a separate, moisture-resistant worktop. The disadvantage here is that there will be a gap between the sink and the cabinet;
- Inset. Mounted into the kitchen or bathroom countertop itself. Here you will need to cut a precise and accurate hole;
- Pedestal. This is the more expensive segment. Installed just below the edge of the worktop. It allows for excellent sealing, and the appearance is more original.
Now separately tell how to fix one or another variant of a sink.
By the way, you can ask local craftsmen about how much it costs to install a sink. After the price is announced, many people will probably return to the idea of doing everything themselves.
Working with overhead sinks
As noted by experts and craftsmen at home, it is easier to install an overhead sink or a built-in sink. The most popular models are made of stainless steel.
Installation requires a separate module, which will completely overlap the sink. Here the installation is very simple and straightforward. To fix the product, you need to use special fasteners, which have an L-shaped and oblique slit. On average, the installation of one sink takes 4-5 such fasteners. And in case of such sink you first connect the faucet, and only then install the construction to the cabinet.
Another sequence is possible, but then you may have problems with connection. You will be banal uncomfortable to work.
To perform the gluing of the overhead countertop is not very difficult, even for the novice home handyman.
It is only important to follow the instructions and act in the correct sequence.
Installation instructions can be presented in the following form.
- L-shaped fasteners are attached to the inside of the countertop;
- the marking for fasteners is applied;
- screws are screwed on;
- The end part of the drawer is covered with sealant;
- The sink is installed on the module;
- You get a perfect fit;
- fasteners are fixed;
- Excess sealant is removed;
- connection to the utilities.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. Therefore, novice craftsmen usually perform such a task themselves.
The situation is somewhat different with sinks.
The assembly of recessed sinks
If the overhead sink option doesn’t work for you, that’s fine. Yes, it is easier to mount them, but from the standpoint of tightness and appearance mortise counterparts are significantly superior to them.
Fundamentally complex operations during the connection will not be required. The most important stage is considered to be the cutting out of the hole.
The installation is carried out according to the following instructions:
- On the countertop is determined by the optimal place for installation;
- Draw a line for the shape of the sink;
- For the marking it is necessary to turn the sink over and outline it;
- For complex in shape sinks from the manufacturer comes a template for the cutout;
- at least 7 cm from the edge of the worktop, a jigsaw cut a hole;
- From the line of marking it is necessary to step back about 18 mm to leave room for the support for the boards;
- If you have a sufficiently thin worktop, the hole is machined;
- a layer of sealant is applied around the perimeter;
- The sink is pressed down with the help of clamps, which are usually included in the set;
- Remains of sealant are removed;
- utilities are connected.
Here already looks a little more complicated. In addition to the jigsaw, you will need an electric drill to make the starting hole under the saw of the jigsaw itself.
If you have a sufficiently thin worktop. Make sure that it will withstand the weight of the sink under the load of water and dishes.
The peculiarity of such sinks is that they are installed at the same level or slightly below the level of the countertop itself.
Such a task will be difficult to cope with yourself, because the process is labor-intensive, requiring solid experience. In fact, here you will have to remove the board layer. This option is relevant for sinks made of artificial stone, natural material, steel. Sometimes you can’t do without a diamond saw.
In this situation it is really wise to seek professional help.
By the way, try not to screw in self-tapping power tools, because with too much force can damage both the sink and the countertop itself. I strongly recommend replacing the seals made of rubber, which often come with sinks, with a quality sealant. Sealant can not provide a good fit, plus its life is several times less compared to the sealant.
If you still have questions, or would like to supplement the material, write in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
Sign up, tell your friends about our project, leave feedback and look forward to a lot of new materials!
How I filed a countertop in the kitchen. The first experience in installing a countertop
It all started with the fact that we waited for the keys to our apartment and moved in. We brought the kitchen with us.к. The kitchen has moved with us for the 3rd time, and the kitchen is not expensive enough, this is obviously her last move. In past apartments kitchen layout was different and the countertop every time you put a new one, but there hired a handyman, here I decided to find out where my hands grew out of and do everything myself.
I bought two countertop boards, 3 packages of laminate (for the apron), sealant, 3 tubes of glue, soft edge banding (a soft band for the cut corner and the end and joint. hard), a skirting board for a tabletop. Took about 14,000 dollars to get it all.The first thing I did was to ask when ordering to cut off 210 cm (t.к. The elevator would not fit in it, and to drag it all up to the 12th floor is not very much wanted), both sides I got 190, but I decided to leave a margin.
measured out the line for the joint trimmer (measured just so, since the corner of the wall is not flat, and the kitchen itself is at a right angle, and otherwise the left (the refrigerator would be no small gap)
05 it is necessary to saw with an electric jigsaw from the “rough side” and to wrap the sawing area with masking tape from the “white side” to minimize chipping of laminating
There are blades for “straight” cutting, the direction of the teeth downwards. Although I prefer a blade for the “shape” cut with a sharpening to both sides (up and down)
06 stock up on blades, I had for all this work took a pack and a half (9 blades), the smaller the teeth, the less likely to chip lamination
there are several options, either the jigsaw is fucked up, or the saws are cheap shit, or the hands. In short, you have to learn how to saw, not just for fun
I agree. Sawed the countertop myself for the round sink, the first time I’ve ever done it. It’s all gone. Didn’t break anything. but it’s a little crooked.
Next time take a normal Bosch saw for laminated materials like Bosch Special for Laminate T 101 BIF.
This is only for thin materials, 38 countertop does not take well, you need a larger tooth and it should be inclined. Naturally a saw from a normal manufacturer, so it does not break like the TS’s, and let the saw cool down, t.к. It warms up a lot.
Regarding silicone, forget about this material as an adhesive and sealing joints in wet rooms, t.к. It rots over time. Use ms polymer, doesn’t cost much more than sealant, you can use it as an adhesive.
I think that over time, I will basically change the kitchen, and so the plumbing silicone sealant will last five years for sure (tested)
What is this nonsense?? You TC saws are made of plasticine or something? I saw a hole in the countertop with one saw and under the hob and sink.There were no chips without any tape. And for the future: fine toothed. for metal, for wood and particle board with large.
07 countertops fit, I’ll tell you right away that I attached them to the kitchen at the very end, t.к. had to move them all the time to work
08 all cuts were thickly smeared with silicone
09 then marked out the place of the saws under the hob, drilled the corners (do not put pressure on the drill, otherwise it will splinter off a lot of excess) to turn the jigsaw and it is important to saw last the saw that is closer to the larger area of the worktop blade, otherwise the thin edges can not withstand the weight and break.
10 edge fits well and relatively even, all sealed with silicone
12 thought the most difficult. Saw holes for the sink and cooktop, but no, the hardest part was ahead
16 and here is the most interesting, unfortunately the process of gluing edging did not make, but there is simply put the iron on medium heat (synthetics), put on a glove (the side where there is no rubber pads) warm the edge and smooth the hand in the glove. I spent almost all the edge on this process, because.к. in processing the corners (removing excess) received chips.
19 I removed the excess with this file, holding it almost parallel to the table top, sharp side, at an acute angle sharply cut off the excess. then working the corners of the edges with the same. Rounding edges on a micron (almost) is cut by a mounting knife (it is very important that the blade was new) on it that I screwed up and penultimate strip.
22 you need wax chalk for laminate, put it on the corners a few times and wipe it off with the same glove
23 laminate on the apron in the case, start from the corner and it is important to understand that, unlike the floor, it is mounted on the adhesive and the seams are blotted silicone
24 solves the problem of chipping end joints on the glued laminate with a cut “lock”, t.к. To walk on it all the same someone probably won’t, but to knock up the “sticking” on the glue laminate is almost unreal, on two boards simply knocked down the coating
) Checking the clamping of the sink on the countertop.
Today there are many types and thicknesses of countertops. The grip of the clamp on the sink is designed for countertops up to 40mm thick, but what to do if the situation is the opposite and it’s not thick enough to hold it firmly? This will be the case if the countertop is 28mm or thinner. The screed will fix the sink, but you might not get enough “tightness”. This will be at least not beautiful loss of moisture resistance part.
In order to ensure that the sink is tight against even a thin countertop, you can use small “spacers” of any durable material, such as small pieces of laminated chipboard 10mm. (see.You might not get enough “tightness” (see the picture on the right below)
) Fixing of the sink with screws on the brackets.
Once you’ve made sure that the sink will be tightened firmly with the screed screws, you can proceed to complete the installation. At this stage we can recommend to install the faucet immediately into the hole in the sink and connect the hot and cold water hoses to it. It will be easier to do with the sink removed than later in an obscure position and with a lack of space. Before lowering the sink into the prepared sink opening you need to loosen the screws of the clamps (counter-clockwise), so as not to damage them against the edge of the countertop. Then the work will be done under the sink (under the countertop):
Tightly pressed sink can be estimated visually, the gap between the edge of the sink and countertop should not exceed 1 mm (if the gasket allows). At this point the installation of a steel sink is considered to be complete! If you still have questions we are always glad to answer them in Комментарии и мнения владельцев or any other contacts.
Sinks of stainless steel: round and oval, coming into stock in Khabarovsk.
Kitchen steel sinks today, perhaps rank first among all types of sinks for the kitchen. The sinks are made of stainless steel and have different thicknesses (on average 1.0,6 mm) and various.
Table retractable mortise extension 60mm with USB (drawing, dimensions, parameters)
Wall recessed pull-out recessed power strip with USB port for low-voltage devices. Parameters, classification, allowable usage, and detailed drawings of the unit (see. picture below).
Table retractable recessed extension 60mm (drawing, dimensions, parameters)
Retractable (vertical) recessed round extension with sockets. Parameters, classification, acceptable usage standards, and detailed device drawings (see. image below). lengthen.
Shoe cabinet swivel (installation instructions and drawing)
Mounting and fitting dimensions for the installation (assembly) of furniture. The standard kit for making hinged shoeboxes includes 2 sidewalls, swivel mounts, and stops. Kark.