How to Cut a Gas Cylinder Angle Grinder Video
How to cut a gas bottle safely
What can be done with a used gas bottle? The amateur will throw him in a landfill; the real craftsman will find capacity application. From a spent metal object you can make a smokehouse, barbecue, a reservoir for an artificial reservoir, a fireplace and much more. But you can’t do without cutting metal. About how to cut a gas cylinder quickly and correctly. further.
- 1 What you need
- 2 How to act
- 3 What to look for
What is needed
Despite the variety of ways to use an empty gas tank, the principle of operation is similar in each case. The preliminary stage includes the procurement of tools and equipment, namely:
- hacksaws for metal;
- angle grinder with a cutting disc;
- construction funnel;
- watering hose;
- pump, compressor;
- the empty gas bottle.
You may not need a pump or compressor. it all depends on how you fill the tank with water. Now. about everything in order.
How to act
After making sure that you have the necessary equipment, you can start cutting the used gas cylinder. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Release the remaining gas from the cylinder. It is necessary to open the valve until it stops, make sure there are no gas residues. In the absence of sounds, the valve outlet is soaped and the emptiness of the container is estimated by the presence (absence) of “bubbles”.
- Put the container on its side. So it is much more convenient to cut a gas cylinder.
- Saw off the valve. To do this, take a hacksaw for metal and saw it with a brass element as close to the place of docking with the main tank. It is advisable to take the help of a second person who, while you are sawing, pours water at the cut point to avoid sparks. Cutting the valve with a hacksaw is preferable to an angle grinder, however, and it does not exclude the possibility of sparking by 100%.
- Fill the bottle with water. After removing the valve with a funnel and hose, the tank is filled with liquid. As the volume is filled, the balloon must be shaken to remove residual condensate from the walls. Pour water to the top.
- Drain the water. This is best done away from the living area, as propane residues have a strong unpleasant odor. You can endure it, but the place of discharge will smell at least a week.
- Proceed to sawing the container. To do this, the user is armed with an angle grinder and cuts metal. The thickness of the latter rarely exceeds 4 mm, so the angle grinder will cope with the balloon in 15-20 minutes.
To minimize the risk of sparking when cutting the angle grinder, do not wait for the inside of the cylinder to dry, but start work immediately after draining the water. Residual liquid on the walls envelops the propane particles (if it remains), and also serve as a “lubricant” for the cutting disc, softening its operation.
If you believe that this is all information about how to correctly and quickly cut a gas cylinder on an angle grinder, then you are mistaken. There are several points that a beginner will never pay attention to, and the master, using them, optimizes his work.
What to look for
In addition to the many nuances when working with an angle grinder, it is important to know how to reduce the risk of injuries and other unpleasant consequences. The tips below will help you with this.
- Remember. the stronger the smell of propane when rinsing, the higher the likelihood of sparking, ignition and explosion!
- It is advisable to unscrew the valve away from the living quarters.
- It is not recommended to cut metal with a cigarette in the teeth, near a fire or other sources of fire.
- It is forbidden to stand in front of the gas outlet from the cylinder. Also, experienced people are not advised to visually check the condition of the valve as the propane is removed, especially with a characteristic hiss.
- Remember the accuracy of the marking of the place of the future cut. Decide in advance what the cut cylinder will turn into, and on this basis, put the fishing line in black (or another noticeable) color.
- Take into account the fact that after working the angle grinder, the place of cut will be slightly narrowed.
- Do not forget about personal protective equipment. gloves, glasses, clothes, covering the sleeves, as well as a respirator.
- Since the walls of the container are very thick, the angle grinder during operation can pinch and crack, causing injury to you. If it is possible to use cutting discs of different thicknesses, do so. First, the metal is cut with an element thicker (for example, 1.6 mm), then thin (1 mm).
- If you have not previously been able to observe the inner surface of the propane tank, you should know that there is an o-ring. It is located between the concave and cylindrical parts of the container and also requires removal. To remove it, the junction is slightly sawn (again using angle grinder).
- The ring can be removed easily if the inner and outer parts of the container are tightly joined, or with difficulty if they are connected with a gap. For removal in the latter case, a chisel and a hammer will help.
When working with a gas cylinder, safety precautions must be observed
In short, this is all information on how to safely cut a propane tank. Further actions are at the discretion of the user. The capacity is used immediately after cutting or painted, cleaned, etc. To remove the old coating from dilapidated paint and rust, the cylinder is cleaned with a grinding wheel, again using an angle grinder. This facilitates further painting or other surface treatment.
Do you know other ways to cut gas cylinders? Tell about this in the discussion to the article.
Searching records using the filter: Select BendingProtectionForgingCuttingWeldingDrilling Select reinforcementSquareCircleLeafStripWirePipeAngleChannel / beam SelectAluminumBrassCopper Stainless steelTitanium Cast iron
How to cut an old gas bottle angle grinder
Sometimes it may be necessary to cut an old gas cylinder in order to use it on the farm. For example, a cut gas cylinder can be used as a water tank in an autonomous heating system. Due to the design features, the cut cylinder is convenient for making fire in it, and can serve as a center for the forge.
There are rules for cutting containers in which combustible materials were stored. This article, in particular, tells how to cut an old propane gas cylinder.
Necessary tools and materials:
- Empty propane gas bottle
- Funnel and water bucket or watering hose
- Empty plastic bottle
- angle grinder and face shield for angle grinder
- Open the cylinder valve fully and make sure that there is no gas left in it. If you cannot hear the sound of gas escaping, it is necessary to soap the valve outlet, check that all gas has escaped.
- Put the bottle on its side.
- Take a hacksaw for metal.
- Start cutting off the brass cylinder valve “under the root”. Brass is easy enough to saw with a hacksaw.
- Take the help of a friend: during sawing off the valve, the second person must pour water to the sawing place from a plastic bottle or watering hose in order to prevent sparks.
- Having cut off the valve, fill the cylinder with water. To do this, you can use a bucket (pour water through a funnel) or a long watering hose. Fill the tank to the top.
- As the balloon fills, shake it to flush the condensate from the walls.
- After filling the bottle, you can drain the water, but not near the house, but somewhere near the landfill, as the drained water sometimes emits a strong smell of propane, which does not disappear for several days.
- After all the steps taken, the angle grinder is sawn. The thickness of the metal is about 3 mm. So sawing should not cause you any difficulty.
Видео: How to Cut a Gas Cylinder Angle Grinder Video
This is the standard technology for cutting containers in which combustible materials are stored. Personally, I have already cut several cylinders with this method.
Correctly and safely cut the old gas cylinder
If your old propane or oxygen cylinder has become unusable, and throw it away with AL-KO, you can try to use it in the farm. The case can serve as a good preparation for the furnace, smokehouse, barbecue, water containers. Before this, it must be freed from gas residues and properly cut. To do this, you must follow a certain procedure.
Oxygen and carbon dioxide cylinders do not present any problems. after bleeding off gas residues these are ordinary pieces of iron that can be easily cut with an angle grinder without any preliminary preparations. Propane is already a little more complicated, and the question often arises: how to cut a gas cylinder angle grinder? Even with the valve fully open, all gas will not escape, and the remaining amount will be enough for a small explosion or fire. Therefore, the cylinder must first be prepared. To do this, we need the following tools:
- Horn or gas valve key.
- Hacksaw for metal.
- Funnel, watering hose, bucket or other source of water.
- angle grinder with discs of different thicknesses and safety glasses.
After that, you can get to work. We perform all actions in strict sequence to avoid undesirable consequences.
- We completely bleed the gas by opening the valve. It is strictly forbidden to be near the outgoing jet at this moment. In addition to the danger of fire, all clothing can be saturated with the smell of gas. The presence of pressure in the cylinder is checked using a soapy solution, soaping the valve and watching the bubbles.
- After that, you can begin to turn off the valve. Next steps: carefully remove the pins fixing the valve, and try to unscrew with a key. On old cylinders this is not always possible, but if you are lucky, then a hole with a diameter of 6 mm will open to us. If the valve does not lend itself, then simply cut it with a hacksaw for metal. It is advisable that at this moment someone feeds you water to the place of cut, or simply direct the stream from the hose. This is necessary to prevent the formation of sparks.
- Now you can fill the cylinder with water through the hole through a funnel or a thin hose. This is called degassing. Water is heavier than any gas, so it displaces its residues and dissolves condensate. The resulting gasoline solution is non-combustible and can be safely drained.
- It is better to drain the water not near the house, but somewhere in the landfill due to the strong and persistent smell of gas. If the valve has not been cut off and the filling was through a small hole, compressed air can be supplied to the cylinder to speed up the process. It will create excess pressure and the fluid will flow out in a good stream.
- Now that most of the fluid has been drained, you can start marking and cutting the balloon. Most often, cutting is done at welds, but for an individual project, you can cut in any direction. The average wall thickness is 3-4 mm, and at the joints 5-6 mm. Any angle grinder can cope with such a thickness without any problems. To facilitate the work, you can first go to the place of the cut with a 1.6 mm thick disk, and finally saw through a thinner disk. This prevents the disc from getting stuck at the output and breaking it, which can lead to personal injury. In addition, this cutting method is more economical and faster. During operation, do not forget about protective equipment.
- Sometimes it may be necessary to remove the connecting ring between the straight and convex parts. To do this, the ring itself is cut by an angle grinder in one place, and then is cut down with a hammer and a chisel.
- The balloon stand at the bottom is removed as follows. the angle grinder slightly cuts the weld, usually it is fixed with dots, being careful not to damage the cylinder itself. Then the ring is knocked out with a hammer and a chisel, the welding residues are cleaned.
- If, after opening the canister, a strong smell of gas remains inside, it will need to be burned from the inside with a gas burner or blowtorch. After that, the body of the container becomes completely harmless and can be used in everyday life.
The most difficult operation behind, now you need to remove the old paint and rust. A petal emery nozzle for the same angle grinder is well suited for this. Now the cylinder blank is ready for further priming and painting.
In this way, it is possible, and most importantly, to safely cut gas cylinders of any size and type, with the exception of acetylene cylinders, consisting of a special filler.
How to cut a gas cylinder angle grinder, video
Sooner or later, gas containers become worthless, then, to give them a second life, you can learn how to cut a gas cylinder, which can become source of heat or a convenient barbecue for a summer vacation. In everyday life, a cut balloon can be useful, but in general it will be source of pollution, which is very harmful to the environment.
Examples of the use of gas cylinders in a cut form
Human invention gives many uses for such modified containers, for example:
- capacity for an artificial reservoir in the country;
- part of an autonomous heating system;
- barbecue / smokehouse / drovennik;
- hearth for the smithy / fireplace.
You can also come up with other types for the use of cut gas cylinders. If this kind of work did not exist before, then it’s best to find out in advance how to cut a gas cylinder, the video will be an ideal option, because it will allow not only to present, but to see the process as it should be.
According to safety rules, there are several main rules for cutting containers in which gaseous substances were previously stored. How to cut a gas cylinder correctly must be known before starting work. this is very important! To perform the necessary actions, you will need:
- the gas bottle itself is naturally empty;
- hacksaw for metal work;
- construction funnel;
- watering hose;
- angle grinder with protective kit.
After all the tools are cooked, you can read the information or watch a video on how to cut a gas cylinder angle grinder to do all the work quickly and efficiently.
Work order: what to do?
First of all, you should start by opening the valve on the cylinder. Naturally, you should open it as much as possible, before very emphasis. This action will help to make sure that the gas that was in the cylinder earlier was completely absent by the time of the cut. After that, you need to put the balloon on its side. Knowing how to cut a gas cylinder, you can cope with this task quickly.
The next step involves the use of a hacksaw. To start cutting off the brass valve of the cylinder should immediately, as they say, "under the root." Brass, which will facilitate the task for a beginner in this business, is easily sawn with this tool.
It is important to remember that at the time of cutting off the valve, the help of a second person will be required. The fact is that in parallel it is necessary to pour water into the cylinder and into the place where the valve itself was located. This is necessary so that sparks do not occur. it will be safer if suddenly the vapor of the gas mixture is preserved.
Having cut off the valve, you should fill the cylinder completely with water. To do this, you can and should use a bucket or watering hose. As After the balloon is filled, it should be shaken, this is done in order to wash off the gas condensate from the walls, if it had a place to be.
The next step is to drain the water after flushing the cylinder. It is best to do this away from home, as the smell of gas will be well felt for a long time. After all these actions, you can safely proceed to the main stage. cutting the cylinder with an angle grinder. Typically, the thickness used in gas storage tanks is about 3 mm.
Thus, knowing how to cut a gas cylinder, you can cope with this task quickly and not get tired. This operation is not complicated, but it will allow you to create many different devices that are useful in everyday life and when performing various tasks.