How to Cut a Hole in the sink for the faucet
Making a hole to install the faucet
Nowadays there are many models of sinks with symmetric shape. These sinks are extremely convenient, as they can be installed either on the left or on the right side.
Some models of modern kitchen sinks: a. kitchen sink mixer; b. kitchen sink mixer with shower screen on flexible hose.
In order to allow the sink to be installed on either side, in its manufacture there is no outlet for the mixer tap.
It is assumed that the hole for the faucet of the required diameter will be made immediately before installing the plumbing. On the one hand, it is very convenient, because it is not always possible to pick up a sink with a ready outlet due to the difference in parameters.
Single-hole kitchen sink faucet: drawing.
In most on the ready-to-install kitchen sinks, the factory outlet is 32 mm, while the diameter of the faucet can be more than 34 mm. Nowadays there are variants of sinks without a ready outlet, both made of stainless steel and ceramic. For many people to make a hole of the required diameter may seem simply an impossible task, but in this case there are a number of measures that can be taken.
In some points of sale of such sinks it is quite possible to use the services of specialists: they will pick up an outlet under the mixer of the required diameter, make everything with special tools. But such services are not provided everywhere, and the owners of sinks without a ready-made outlet for the faucet will have to make it yourself.
It is worth saying that you can make an accurate hole yourself only in stainless steel, while the kitchen sink of granite or ceramic to carry out experiments are fraught with danger, since the material can crack.
Work on the manufacture of outlets for communications in a ceramic sink should be carried out as carefully as possible so as not to spoil the appearance of the sink. If possible, you need to buy tools: for stainless steel sold special cutters for making holes, for ceramics, it is best to use drills with a diamond coating. You can’t drill through ceramic plumbing with a regular drill because the ceramic will simply crack. However, you can also do with some improvised means, but we need to act very carefully.
Thank you for the advice, my good man! The other day I made a perfect hole with an IKEA cutter.
I have not seen cutters on sale here, but I do not see any difficulty in drilling stainless steel. Yes it is a little more ductile than normal steel, but a well sharpened drill bit is unlikely to be an obstacle. I had to drill a hole in steel pipes f40mm for this I bought a bimetal drill bit krasnodar.vseinstrumentiicheskaya-40mm-11-01-062/ hole of course not as ideal as a hole punch, but she has a lot more can drill)))
I always drill all stainless steel sinks with regular drills. It’s rare to find one without a hole for a faucet. That’s why I don’t have a drill bit yet. On the contour of the proposed hole first 2-2,5 mm then either 4 or 5. And a little trim with a file so as not to damage the flexible tubing when installing.
But your way saves time is a fact If you constantly such sinks only your way
This is not my way. Ikea also sold such nippers in the kitchen department! )
What do you use to drill “stone” sinks?? They are made of some kind of resin and powder, as I understand it.
I blunted my drill bit and crown while I was sawing a hole in it for the faucet! )
But, of course, such a sink is much more beautiful than stainless steel. And it’s probably more practical.
“your” in mind is the one you demonstrated) Cutting tool costs about 700 at the store. Rarely needed, but it’s a good way. Often with stone sinks comes with a fostner drill. That’s what I use to drill with. Sometimes they’re really blunt. So it’s worth taking for yourself if you get a sharp. Sometimes there’s a hole already drilled in the stone sinks. You gently tap it with a hammer and smooth it out a little with a file.
This is not my way. in Ikea and sold such countersinks in the kitchen department! )
How do you drill “stone” sinks?? They’re made of some kind of resin and powder, as I understand it.
I blunted my drill bit and bit while sawing a hole in it for the faucet! )
But, of course, such a sink is much more beautiful than stainless steel. It’s probably more practical.
I want to try it with this it’s good for particle board and sink found it on ali
How do you drill a hole in an artificial stone sink?
Sinks from artificial stone are usually sold as a solid, that is, without pre-made holes for the mixer tap. Some companies offer such a service, but sometimes you have to take the drill and drill bit into your own hands. In such a case, it is extremely important to know exactly how the drill is needed, and what speeds to set on the drill. On these and other nuances will tell the master plumber.
How to work with different types of artificial stone
There is no clear definition of artificial stone, and it includes several types of material at once:
Porcelain stoneware. the most durable of all, not afraid of high and low temperatures, as well as minor mechanical damage. An ordinary drill will not “take it”: only a drill bit (Forstner cutter) or a diamond-coated drill bit (or other carbide) will cope with its density.
Pay attention! During work, it is necessary to periodically “cool” the surface with water, and the drill should work on low speed. 250-350 rpm
Acrylic. The easiest material to work with, since its density is minimal compared to others. You can use ordinary drill bits for metal or wood with it, for example. the feather type or the same Forstner cutter. The standard 35 mm hole for the faucet must be drilled at low to medium speed (the material is very pliable indeed, and it can be cut even with a jigsaw, but it is difficult to achieve a neat result). A large amount of “plastic” chips and a characteristic smell. The consequence of a large amount of plastic.Agglomerate. material with medium density. It is not as difficult to work as porcelain, but requires more accuracy than acrylic. In order to drill holes in it, it is best to use the same cutters as in the case of porcelain stoneware.Order of workSo, having an idea of what material we have in our hands, and having the necessary tools, you can proceed directly to drilling a hole in the sink:
Two types of sinks
The most popular now are two types of kitchen sinks:
And with stainless steel and porcelain stoneware manufacturers do not rush with drilling holes, giving up these little details to sellers.
For your information! In sink dealers you can arrange for drilling of holes. The price of manipulation is affordable, you specify the diameter and location, pay and get a finished product with places for mounting faucets, mixers.
The problem is solved, it can be closed on the topic under discussion, but there are situations that fundamentally change the original plans. over, the desire to do everything with their own hands, and the pleasure that you get from a job well done is incomparable.
Simple things can turn the world upside down. Initial desire to install a faucet on the right side in the corner, will be nullified, if your spouse is left-handed.
For your information! In the kitchen, as nowhere else, great importance is given to beauty, functionality, and also ergonomics. It is very uncomfortable for left-handed people to open the faucet, which is on the right, with their left hand. Water gets on your hand.
Varieties of modern sinks
The two main variants of kitchen sinks in greatest demand today are products made of stainless steel and ceramic. Manufacturers do not rush to make holes in them, leaving this work entirely on the shoulders of retailers and end users.
Important! If you want you can agree in the store to drill a hole of the required size. The cost of such manipulation is quite acceptable, you only need to specify the place, diameter, to make the payment. As a result, you will get a finished product with decorated places for installing faucets and taps.
It would seem that the problem is solved, but in practice there are often situations that do not coincide with the plans of consumers. For example, when ordering kitchen of non-standard sizes, or the kitchen equipment itself, in case the lady of the house is left-handed, the hole in her new sink is located on the right side, which is incredibly inconvenient for her.
Before you cut a hole in the sink for the faucet, first install it, take a good look, and only then decide where to make places for sockets. If you still decide to do everything yourself, then use the following useful recommendations:
- All manipulations with the product should be made immediately before its installation on the stationary place. this will prevent premature deterioration and deformation of the object.
- The sink should be installed horizontally on a wooden base, then drill a hole with a special drill bit.
- If you use a puncher and a hammer, it is enough to punch the fixed bowl manually with special nozzles, selected in advance to the diameter of the holes of the faucet or mixer in the new sink.
- If you want to use a special punching device, note that it works by the extrusion method. As a rule, such a device consists of two nozzles and a threaded pin, a pressing washer and a tap. It is enough to put in place the pin on the outside, screw on the washer, do the tightening-pressing.
- The use of a special drill involves the use of a tapered drill bit, which works on the simplest principle.
- When you buy a mixer tap with large diameter taps, you need to prepare a special seating. Such a problem is solved in two ways. you can order a socket in the store or drill a few holes on the circumference with a smaller diameter.
Two kinds of sinks
The most popular now are two types of kitchen sinks:
Both with stainless steel and porcelain stoneware sinks, the manufacturers do not rush with drilling holes, leaving these little details to retailers.
For your information! At the sink sales stores you can arrange for drilling of holes. The price of manipulation is high, you specify the diameter and location, pay and get a finished product with a place for taps, mixers.
The problem is solved, at this point we can close the topic under discussion, but there are situations that fundamentally change the original plans. over, the desire to do everything with your own hands, and the pleasure that you get from a well-done work is incomparable.
Simple things can turn the world upside down. The initial desire to install the faucet on the right side in the corner, will be negated if your spouse is left-handed.
As a side note! In the kitchen, as nowhere else, great importance is given to beauty, functionality, also ergonomics. It is very uncomfortable for left-handed people to open the faucet from the right with their left hand. Water gets on your hand.
We recommend that you locate the sink first, take a closer look, and then decide and choose your nesting places. You chose to do the work yourself?
- Do all work with the product before installing it on a stationary place, with these simple actions you will prevent deformation of the object and premature deterioration;
- Place the sink horizontally on a wooden base. Drill a small hole with a metal drill bit, 5-6 mm enough to define with the center of the circle;
Tip! If you use punches and a hammer, the above manipulation is not necessary.
- And then there are three ways to choose from:
- Hammer and punch. Here everything is simple: you need to punch the fixed bowl with special nozzles manually, the nozzle is initially selected under the diameter of the hole in the sink under the faucet or a tap;
- A specially designed puncher. This is a mechanical toy that uses the extrusion method. Such a puncher consists of a threaded pin and two nozzles, a tap and a pressing washer with a wrench head. Having established a pin in a hole from the outside, having screwed a washer with a head, you with the wrench carry out tightening-pressing. The result of this manipulation is a hole in a stainless steel sink for the faucet;
- The third way is a special drill called a carrot. The name has stuck so much that even on the factory packaging of the product it can’t be called anything other than a carrot-drill. The drill is represented by a cone, with a diameter of the cutting edge from 6 to 32 and even 38 mm. We will not describe the principle of using the drill, everything is clear.
To the moneybox! Sometimes the choice of the consumer stops at the mixers with glasses of large diameter. Sink waste and trap with a large hole requires a large seating socket. Then there are several ways out: the first is to order a hole in a store, the second is to drill a few holes of smaller diameter around the circumference. Then simply connect them to each other, removing the inner circle with a chisel. True, it will require accuracy and precision of movement.
How to drill a hole in a stainless steel sink. we have disassembled, move on to the stones.
Stone and under a stone
Much more interesting is the topic of drilling the seating sockets in stone sinks.
Pay attention to the fact that the tip of the faucet is a small piece of wood! Simple manipulation. working with a drill bit. is not very easy in practice. Drill bit with pobedite insert for this work is contraindicated, it does not so much drill as shear, shears the material. Not bad showed itself drill for metal, but you need a low speed drill itself (ideally it is better to use a hand drill). High speeds melt the edges.
- In the process of drilling the material can get hot quickly, but it is difficult to control. Drilling a hole in an artificial stone sink is best done with a fine drill bit. We work around the perimeter of the entire future socket;
- The partitions between the holes are recommended to “pass” in two ways:
- Notch the strokes with an electric soldering iron, followed by knocking out the plug with a hammer;
- The jigsaw is not bad for sawing the material. Although this process is longer, the edge is the most even;
- Grinding of hole circumference is performed with a circular abrasive nozzle for the entire circumference. If you do not have one in the household, use an ordinary round file.
Bits with a diamond coating are rare guests in the household.
In the file! To drill a hole in the sink made of artificial stone you can also use a diamond drill, if you have one.
Informing! Some bowls have special marks. These are places where hitting with a targeted hammer can make a hole. Do it with care, the marks themselves are marked with paper stickers, which can slip during transportation. Impact in another point can only lead to the destruction of the material.
A quality workmanship is a guarantee of durability.
Drilling holes in ceramic tile
There are two options for drilling holes in ceramic tile:
A simple and inexpensive way to cut a hole, both round and in different configurations, using a metal hacksaw and a metal string with a diamond coating.
- Draw a circle of the desired diameter with a felt-tip pen on the tile.
- Use a ceramic drill bit to make a starting hole inside the circle, insert the string.
- Assemble a hacksaw, pull the string and cut a circle of the desired diameter.
Special drill bits are used to drill holes in tile and glass. They look like a sharpened spade. The recommended mode of operation for them at low speed, up to 800 rpm.
Particular attention should be paid to the radial run-out of the electric drill chuck, which occurs with increased wear of the bearing.
If the drill bit beats too hard, the tile may split.
You can also use a pobedite drill bit for concrete and a torch in drill mode.
In order to cut a hole in the ceramic tile for the mixer of the required diameter, drill a hole with a drill bit 3. 5 mm in a circle. After that the bridges must be removed.
To level the surface it is necessary to remove the remaining jagged edges with a tile cutter and adjust the diameter to the desired size. After gluing the tiles, a decorative deflector is installed on the pipe, which will cover the uneven edges.
Ways to connect
To make the connection of the mixer to the water pipes is possible in two ways:
For a flexible (plastic) connection a stainless steel metal hose, which looks like an accordion, is used. Before you install the faucet on the sink, you must turn off the water supply. Old equipment must be removed carefully. Unscrew the nut and remove the screw. Sand the area where the old equipment is removed with emery paper.
If you have to install it for the first time, then the preliminary marking is made. Before installation the parts are assembled and checked for reliability and quality of work performed. After that the seal is put on. Then it is necessary to put the faucet in place, which is additionally clamped under the sink with a gasket and a washer, ensuring its stability. The joint with the thread is wrapped with a linen sealant.
Hard. it is not much different from the previous variant, but it still has its own nuances. In this case, on the outside of the mixer connector is used, and on the other side of the mixer there is a socket with a nut. The disadvantage of this method is that later, in case it is necessary to carry out repair work, you will have to remove the entire supply line.
Kitchen sink installation
Kitchen sinks also differ in type:
- Overhead, that is, mounted on top of the cabinet;
- Built-in sinks, inserted into the tabletop;
- Recessed, built in or directly placed under the countertop.
Installation of sinks of the latter type should be entrusted to professionals, because they are often one piece with the countertop.
Mounting an overhead sink
The installation of the overhead sink is carried out directly on the kitchen drawer of the appropriate size. In this case, the ends of the sink are around the perimeter of the countertop. To begin with it is necessary to measure the sink and to make a marking of mounting holes, in the end face of drawer unit screw self-tapping screws, which will be used to attach the kitchen sink. It is recommended to install the faucet and siphon, which you will only have to connect after installation. Do not forget the gaskets between the countertop and the sink body during assembly. They play the role of a sealing material to prevent leakage under the sink.
Mounting the recessed sink
Today you can find kitchen sinks with two bowls. Their installation is carried out in the same way as the usual ones. However, you will need a special siphon with two outlets. For the inset sink, you need to cut a hole of suitable size. Please note, from the front edge of the countertop there must be at least 6 cm, from the back at least 4 cm. We enclose the sink to a table top and make a marking, for this purpose we outline the sink, from the resulting contour step back 12 mm, it is on the second line and will be cut. Use an electric jigsaw. The end of the kerf should be covered with sealant that will prevent the tabletop from moisture and further swelling. The sink is fitted with a siphon, a faucet and a water inlet. The special fixing feet are fastened to the bottom. After that, the entire structure is installed in place, the pipes are connected to the supply line, connect the siphon. That’s all, you can check the quality of the work.
How to make a hole for a faucet in a stainless steel sink?
There are several proven options on how to cut a hole in the sink without a hole for the faucet, made of stainless steel. In already installed sanitary ware, you can not make such holes, as it can crack because of the support on the countertop. If available, rent or buy a special cutter to make the job easier.
The instructions for making the hole look like this:
- Before you start, turn the sink upside down so that it rests on the table top with all its edges.
- Make a circle of mounting tape of the required shape and size, attach it to the chosen place, outline with a marker.
- Mark the center so you can make the hole with the hole puncher.
- Point the point of the punching tool in the center of the circle made of mounting tape, smooth tapping movements punch the initial hole.
- Widen the initial hole with a round file to the previously planned dimensions.
- Carefully sand the edges of the file to achieve the desired outlet diameter.
- Apply sealant to the edges of the fresh cut.
- You can install the sink.
How to avoid mistakes
Suppose you want to make a hole with a drill and cutter.
Often professionals make a hole when the sink is already installed in the countertop. This solution has only one advantage. the edge on the front side will be straight. And it has many more disadvantages: you can scratch the stone, damage the sink, break off the edge and so on.
Therefore, it is better to drill a hole on the back side. But there is a chance that the hole from the outside will have an uneven appearance. However, in this place will be the place of the faucet, which will cover the irregularities of the edge. There is no risk of damaging the face of the sink.
There are two fundamentally different methods of work. The first involves working with a drill, and the second involves knocking out the loose casting plugs provided by the design. Let’s consider each of them in order.
Making a hole in an artificial stone sink using a drill step by step:
Some of the artificial stone sinks are fitted with cast-in-place plugs that can be knocked out during installation. They are usually color-coded on the front side. First place the sink in its place in the worktop, but do not fix it.
Then you need to choose the right tool and hammer the plugs away with a strong blow with a hammer. For this role is suitable punch with a diameter of 8 mm, but not a screwdriver. It is necessary to knock out the cork only from above: that is, from the front side. A rasp is used to smooth out the uneven edges of the hole.
This way you can make a hole for the faucet.
- The center is marked and a circle is drawn.
- Using a drill along the length of the circumference drill holes, the distance between which is 4 mm.
- To prevent the appearance of cracks when knocking out, firmly fix the sink.
If there is a need to increase the radius of the hole, you need to draw another circle of the desired size. From the face of the circle, at a distance of 4 mm, make cuts along the circumference. Remove unnecessary parts with a puncher or chisel.
Currently, quite often there is a question of how to drill a hole in the granite sink. It is connected with the fact that in most cases you buy this kind of sanitary ware, there are no mounting holes needed to install a mixer tap or flush actuator.
Undoubtedly, the easiest option would be to help professionals, although by following the basic recommendations, this procedure can be performed by yourself.
How to make a hole for a faucet in a stainless steel sink?
There are several proven ways to cut a hole in a sink without a faucet hole made of stainless steel. In already installed sanitary ware, you can not make such holes, as it can crack because of the support on the countertop. If available, rent or purchase a special cutter to make the job easier.
The instructions for making the hole look like this:
- Before starting work, the sink should be turned upside down so that it rests with all its edges on the surface of the table.
- Make a circle of mounting tape of the necessary shape and size, attach it to the chosen place, trace it with a marker.
- Mark the center to make it easier to make the hole with a puncher.
- Point the point of the punch at the center of the circle made of mounting tape, with smooth tapping movements punch the initial hole.
- Using a round file, enlarge the starting hole to the dimensions you’ve planned.
- Carefully sand the edges of a cut to achieve the desired outlet diameter.
- Treat the edges of the fresh cut with sealant.
- You can install a sink.
How not to make mistakes
Suppose you decide to make a hole with a drill and router.
Often professionals make a hole when the sink is already installed in the countertop. This solution has only one advantage. the edge on the front side will be flat. And it has many more disadvantages: you can scratch the stone, cause damage to the sink, break off the edge, and so on.
So it is better to drill the hole from the back side. But there is a chance that the hole from the outside will have an uneven appearance. However, at this point there will be a mixer, which will cover the rough edges. There is no risk of damaging the front side of the sink.
There are two fundamentally different methods of work. The first involves working with a drill, and the second involves knocking out the loose casting plugs provided by the design. Let’s look at each of them in order.
Making a hole in the sink made of artificial stone using a drill, step by step:
On some artificial stone sinks, there are molded plugs that can be knocked out during assembly. They are usually marked in color on the front side. First of all, the sink is installed in place in the countertop, but it is not fixed.
Then find the right tool and hammer the plugs away with a hammer. A punch with a diameter of 8 mm, but not a screwdriver, will do for this part. Whip out the cork from above only: that is, from the front side. Use the rasp to smooth out any rough edges of the hole.
This is the way to make a hole for the mixer tap.
- The center is marked and a circle is drawn.
- Using the drill along the length of the circumference is drilled holes, the distance between which is 4 mm.
- To prevent cracking when knocking out, firmly fix the sink.
If there is a need to increase the radius of the hole, you need to draw another circle of the required size. On the front side, the holes are drilled at a distance of 4 mm around the circumference. Remove unnecessary parts with a punch or chisel.
Currently, quite often there is a question of how to drill a hole in a granite sink. Such a circumstance is due to the fact that in most cases, when you buy a specified sanitary product, it lacks mounting holes needed to install a mixer or flush switch.
Undoubtedly, the easiest option will be the help of specialists, although observing the basic recommendations, you can perform this procedure by yourself.