How To Cut A Plastic Floor Skirting Board
How to properly attach a plastic floor skirting board How to properly attach a plastic floor skirting board Installation of a floor skirting board is the final touch in finishing work, since it gives the interior a complete, refined look.
Required tools and materials
How to fix the skirting board to the wall? The strips are mounted on screws, using clips or liquid nails. To fix on nails and clips, you need a drill with different drill sizes, a screwdriver, tape measure, fasteners, a hacksaw for metal and a vacuum cleaner.
Determining the amount of material
How much material and accessories to take is a good question for him. It is impossible to determine by eye, accurate calculations are needed here.
Measure the length of the walls before attaching the PVC skirting board. Add 1.5 and 2 m to this number and divide the resulting amount by 2.5 m (the length of the bar). Having rounded the resulting number up, we get the number of planks.
You need as many baseboard corners as there are outer and inner corners in the room.
If the wall is more than 2.5 meters, then connections are needed. One connector is needed every five meters.
Left and right caps are taken taking into account the number of doors in the room.
Fastening the plastic skirting board at the doorway
The advantages of plastic skirting boards
Among the varieties of skirting boards, plastic is the most popular for many reasons. Polyvinyl chloride is renowned for its durability and strength.
The lifespan of plastic floor slats reaches 100 years. They are fire and moisture resistant, safe, so they can be installed in any room.
Dimensions and construction of plastic skirting boards
Skirting boards are easy to install, cut with a sharp knife, and their cost is not high.
Compared to wood and plaster planks, plastic planks are flexible. Their color palette is huge, which does not limit the choice of color for the interior of the room and allows you to fit into the general background as much as possible.
An additional plus is the equipment of some models with a special groove in which the wires are laid.
High-quality installation of skirting boards is not possible without the following components:
- External and internal corners, with the help of which the planks are connected in the corners of the room;
- Caps designed to decorate the edges of the skirting board. They come in a set and are left and right;
- Connection is a part with two grooves, which serves for joining and lengthening the strips;
- Fasteners designed to fix the plinth to the wall.
Installation of plastic skirting boards
Having made the correct calculations and armed with the necessary tools, we proceed to the installation. Wooden planks are mounted in the same way as a plastic plinth is attached.
Cut off the plinth of the desired size with an ordinary clerical knife
When mounting on dowel-nails, attach a strip with a dressed corner to one of the corners in the room. It is best to start with the longest wall. Place the corner straight so that there are no distortions during installation.
Mark the mounting location on the wall 5-6 cm from the corner. If the walls are flat, mark them 40 cm apart. If there are gaps, reduce the attachment pitch.
We drill a hole in the wall for a dowel
Now make the holes with a puncher. Keep in mind that the dowel should go 30 mm into the wall, and if the surface is uneven, dowel No. 6 is taken. Remove dust and hammer the dowels into the holes. Attach the skirting board to the wall and transfer the marks made to it. Then drill the holes. The heads of screws or nails must be completely immersed in the bar. To do this, make the notches with a larger drill.
We screw the screws into the dowels
Now you can nail the skirting board to the wall. Close them with matching caps. You can glue the plugs to hold them more securely.
The strips are already fitted to the desired size. It is better to cut them with a sharp knife or a hacksaw, so they will not crack. Keep sharp corners while doing this. Also, when cutting the end strips, keep in mind that the plugs will take 3-5 mm. If using connectors, install them before attaching.
How to properly attach a plastic floor skirting board
Installation of a floor plinth is the finishing touch in finishing works, as it gives the interior a complete, refined look. It is known that the most luxurious renovation will not be presentable if the gaps between the wall and the floor are visible, which the plinth is intended to hide. In addition, it becomes a real lifesaver that can hide minor defects in the floor finish.
If you are new to finishing work and do not know how to fix plastic skirting boards, do not rush to contact a specialist. There are no difficulties in installing skirting boards with your own hands, and the nuances described below and a detailed overview of installation will allow you to save on the services of a master.
How to cut ceiling plinth and floor plinth and dock correctly
Installation of moldings on the ceiling and floor is the shortest and seemingly simple stage of repair. But surely many of you had to spend at least an hour trying to cut these 45 degrees. The only exceptions are the lucky ones with a technical mindset and those who were friends with geometry at school.
Today we will tell you how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth and the floor without resorting to complicated calculations. You will see that this is not a difficult job at all and can be done in a short time.
Cutting the inner and outer corners of the floor skirting boards
Cutting the floor moldings exactly is no more difficult than the ceiling moldings. Only the cutting tool is selected according to the material to be cut. The work itself will also be similar, only for manual cutting a slightly different marking method is presented here.
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth at an angle of 45
Corner pieces for skirting boards can be easily trimmed on the miter box or by hand. In the first case, you will need a miter box and a hacksaw, and in the second, a pencil and a hacksaw / knife on cardboard. The blade of the hacksaw should be well sharpened so that you do not have to think about how to cover up chips and roughness on the cut.
Cutting wood floor molding with a miter box
It is necessary to measure the distance from the edge of the skirting board already glued to the wall to the top of the wall corner. Now we take a new piece of molding and set aside a length equal to this distance on its lower edge. We put a point with a pencil or stick a piece of electrical tape. We do this procedure for both the outer and inner corners. In the miter box, place the plinth segments from left to right for the left side of the corner and from right to left for the right. In this case, they should be pressed as in the figure to the side of the miter box closest to you.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth, laying a workpiece in a miter box:
- For the outer left one, match the mark on the skirting board with the leftmost slot. For the outer right with the far right.
- For the inner left one, match the mark on the skirting board with the extreme right slot. For the inner right with the far left.
Clarification: the slot refers to the one on the side closer to you.
Cutting skirting boards at an angle: the red line marks where you saw the cut
Choosing the corner shaping tool
The most economical option is to buy a simple plastic miter box. It is a plastic block with eight working slots. Such a device is designed for only two operations: trimming at 45, 90 and 22.5 degrees. An angle of 90 degrees is useful, for example, if you need to embed a socket in the middle of the molding.
Some attachments come with eccentric clamps included. They are preferable, since it is easier to work with it, the skirting board is clamped in the desired position and does not move during the cutting process. Accordingly, if flaws do happen, then they are minimal and it will not be difficult to adjust the angle.
How to cut a plastic skirting board: a simple plastic miter box
If you have to renovate your own home, then it may make sense to purchase a more serious tool, a rotary single-plane miter box. It is designed to cut at 15, 22.5, 30, 36, 45 and 90 degrees. The design of such a miter box includes 2 clamps for clamping in the horizontal and vertical planes, as well as a stopper that will allow you to cut the workpieces by one length. The hacksaw will be built in here. If you are not clear on how to cut the ceiling plinth, the review below will help you.
How to trim a skirting board in a corner: a swivel miter box
How to cut a ceiling plinth: contains a detailed description of the swivel miter box and information on how to use the tool.
How to cut the corners of a skirting board without a miter box
If you are wondering how to properly saw down a ceiling plinth without a miter box, then the following information will be useful to you. We take the right piece of the ceiling plinth made of polystyrene, apply it to the installation site and draw a line on the ceiling along its upper edge. It should go beyond the points of the vertices of the corners by about 5 cm. Do the same with the left segment and put points at the intersection of the lines. We put the ceiling plinths in place one by one and transfer the resulting marks to them.
We figured out the upper part of the ceiling moldings, now we move on to the bottom. Everything is simple here, the marks we need are the tops of the corners. Mark their location with dots on the lower edges of the left and right ceiling plinths. Next, you need to connect the points on the moldings, this will be the trim line. This method will help to cope with even the most crooked corners. Adjustment is most likely not needed, and if it does, it will be minimal.
How to cut a ceiling plinth without a special tool: you can see the marks for the method of intersecting points
If the corners of the walls do not correspond to the standard parameters, then stencils can be used. For this, strips of thin cardboard or thick paper are used, from which strips are cut that correspond in thickness to the selected plinth. They are applied to the corner joint and fixed there, then the unnecessary part is cut off using a clerical knife. You need to cut perpendicular to the intersection of the walls, so that in the end you can get two absolutely identical parts of the same corner. The template is used in case of a mismatch of the wall corner with the standard. The creation involves cardboard with a thin structure or thick paper. Cut the strips to a thickness suitable for the selected skirting board. The cut piece should be applied so that the unnecessary part is cut off with a clerical knife.
How and how to properly cut a plastic baseboard
Geometric shapes are very important for proper trimming. Compliance with this condition is necessary in order to form an ideal assembly seam in the middle of the panels. When carrying out this procedure by eye, the result will not be able to console with a high-quality look due to the inconsistency of the sides to each other. This is most important during the formation of the inner and outer corners. Therefore, a perfect cut is obtained using a miter box that can measure angles of 45 degrees.
Cutting using a miter box is done in this way:
- The central recess in the tool is used to fix the skirting board in it. The panel material is applied to the surface with the draft side. If you do the opposite, you may damage the face. The diagonal slots are guides.
- The desired angle is the next step when choosing. It is necessary to monitor the position of the edges of the panels. They must not protrude beyond the diagonal slot. This is the only way to get a cut of excellent quality. With a large depth of the miter box, which is very different from the dimensions of this skirting board, it is necessary to uniformly press the panel to any groove side. Only then can the cutting process be performed. The angle must remain constant. If this is not observed, then at the end of the actions done we will get figures of different shapes. Due to the elastic structure of PVC, excessive pressure on the skirting board will spoil the cut quality. The cutting rate should not go beyond moderate because of the risk of overheating and deformation of the boundaries.
- Due to the sawing work on one side, you should start forming the other. You need to proceed according to the same instructions, only using a mirror image of the corner. To display the cut angle inverse, place the material in the opposite cut.
Choosing the right tool
How to trim the material? This question is maturing for almost any novice builder. The selected cutting tool will affect the evenness of the cut edge. PVC skirting boards contain a hollow-filled structure, so the use of tools containing large teeth or a wide wave is not encouraged due to the high risk of chipping and numerous irregularities.
For a plinth cut, it is better to use a hacksaw for metal. Its structure is characterized by sharp, rather fine teeth and an acceptable working width. The use of a hacksaw only applies to panels. Thin-walled skirting will become uneven due to the influence of the teeth.
The hand jigsaw is the best tool for cutting the corners of the ceiling plank.
Any plastic product will be cut absolutely straight. But, the jigsaw has the disadvantage of a small size. This will greatly affect the speed of repair work due to the large number of canvases. Abrasive files should not be used while working with a jigsaw, as the first tool will significantly complicate the whole procedure.
Thin-walled skirting boards are best cut with a regular utility knife with a hardened blade. Obtaining a clear and even cut will happen only if you have a lot of experience with the tool and material of this type, so that beginners will have quite difficult.
“How to cut a plastic skirting board”
This explains in detail how to cut a skirting board with a miter box and how to join floor, ceiling skirting boards in the outer or inner corners.
How to cut a plastic skirting board?
- How to cut off a plastic skirting board?
- How to cut a plastic skirting board for internal corners?
- How and with what to cut a plastic floor skirting board at non-standard angles?
Every apartment has a plinth. Thanks to this inherent attribute, the final design of the room takes place and gives it a neat look. Skirting boards can be made from different materials, but plastic is especially popular at the moment. It is lightweight and easy to install, but you need to know some subtleties to properly cut and install it. So, for example, many are wondering how to cut a plastic baseboard. In our article, you will learn about the advantages of a plastic strip, about cutting methods, and also get acquainted with step-by-step instructions that will help you do the job quickly and efficiently.
How to cut a plastic skirting board for internal corners?
In this master class, we will look at how to cut a plinth with a miter box. There is nothing complicated here, the main thing is to follow all the steps described below in the exact sequence:
- We cut the bar according to the perimeter of the room. For speed of the process, you can draw its diagram on a sheet of paper with marked outer and inner corners.
- We place a plastic sheet in the miter box.
- We find on the side of the tool a groove with a mark of 45 degrees.
- Focusing on the chosen place, we begin to saw the fillet with a hacksaw.
- We clean the resulting edge with fine-grit sandpaper.
- With a pencil or marker, we make markings on the floor. We draw the future border of the product on one and the other side of the corner. So we got a kind of rhombus in the corner, the diagonal of which is the cutting line.
- We apply the plinth to the resulting figure, and then mark its diagonal.
- We draw the line from the obtained point to the corner of the plastic fillet, this will be the cutting line. Focusing on this line, we cut the plinth with a hacksaw.
- We process the end of the material with sandpaper.
- We put the cables in a special channel on the inside of the product. We close the cable channel with a decorative plastic plug.
- We fasten the skirting boards to the wall using self-tapping screws and dowels, after putting corners or plugs on their ends.
- We insert a plug into the resulting joint of the plinth to form a neat inner corner of the plank.
How to cut off a plastic skirting board?
What tool should be used to cut the material to obtain a beautiful and correct angle for mounting the plastic strip? This question arises from almost everyone who has started repairs in an apartment. The selected construction tool will undoubtedly affect the evenness of the edge and cut of the product. That is why the issue must be approached with special responsibility and the desire to follow all the recommendations of experienced specialists.
How to cut a PVC skirting board:
- Hacksaw for metal. This tool is only suitable for cutting thin skirting boards. This is due to the fact that a hacksaw for metal has, albeit small, but uneven teeth, which can give an uneven shape to the product.
- Manual jigsaw. It is considered one of the best tools for cutting corners of floor and ceiling fillets. The jigsaw will cut the material as smoothly as possible while observing the correct angle by the performer.
- Stationery knife. Only suitable for cutting thin skirting boards. To get a thin and even cut is possible only with a great experience of the performer with this type of instrument. A beginner will have to spend a lot of time to get the desired result.
- Metal scissors. Such a tool can be used with a plastic skirting board, but the material can be crumpled under strong blade pressure.
- Cutting the bar with a miter box. This fixture has been specially made to properly cut the plastic skirting board. A miter box is a small block with slots for a skirting board with different angular clearances for the selected cutting tool. It is with the help of the miter box that you are guaranteed to get even and neat cuts. The bar is fixed inside the device, then the angle and the correct direction of the cut are selected.
- Stencil cutting. This method is advisable to use for cutting skirting boards for irregularly shaped corners that are less than or more than 90 degrees. It is easy to make such stencils of the required angular value yourself from paper or cardboard. First, strips equal to the width of the skirting board are cut from the selected material. Then they are applied to the corner of the room and fixed, and then they are cut to the shape of the same corner. These stencils are used to cut the plastic strip itself.
Important! When working with the miter box, you must make sure that the fillet edges protrude slightly beyond the edges of the slot. If the tool for cutting the plinth is wider than the plinth itself, then in this case it will be correct to fix the part well inside the miter box. Otherwise, the bar can move inside the tool, and the cut angle will constantly change, which will lead to uneven edges of the product.
Wooden skirting boards or MDF panels require special conditions for their installation and further maintenance. Unlike the above materials, the PVC material rail has taken a leading position due to its positive characteristics, namely:
- Attractive appearance.
- A wide range of colors and textures of the material with the ability to imitate expensive wood species.
- Moisture resistance. They can be safely installed not only in the bedroom, in the kitchen, in the corridor, but also in the bathroom, shower, and toilet.
- Plastic does not require painting or other protective coating.
- Fillets are easy to choose for absolutely any design solution.
- Easy to handle and easy to attach to the wall.
- Strength, durability and long service life.
- Complete safety of the material for human and animal health.
- All modern plastic slats are made exclusively from high quality raw materials in accordance with all sanitary standards and requirements.
- The product can serve as a kind of wire masking channel.
- Ease of use.
- Affordable pricing policy.
How and with what to cut a plastic floor skirting board at non-standard angles?
Sometimes it happens that, due to new design solutions, the corners have a rather non-standard shape. In this case, the installation of the plinth is a little more complicated, since the corners can be both external and internal at the same time. And sometimes the corners are completely rounded. For the correct installation of such a product, you cannot use the above steps for cutting and installing the plinth at a standard angle. How to proceed and how to solve the problem with this turn of events?
In a detailed master class, you will find answers to your questions about cutting skirting boards for rounded corners:
- We cut the bar into 4-5 equal parts.
- We spread in small parts the entire corner of the baseboard on the floor using plugs for connection.
- Do not forget to fix the corners on the product with glue or putty. This gives us a neat rounded corner.
If there is an external-external corner in the room, then follow these steps:
- We put the plinth on one side and draw its borders on the floor.
- Next, we apply its second part and make two marks: one intersection with the previously drawn border, the second intersection with the wall.
- We connect all the points together and make a cut.
- We close the ends with plugs.