How To Cut An Acrylic Bath
What can be a bath curb, how to mount it
After installing a bathtub, shower tray, sink or washbasin, a gap remains between the side of the stantechpribor and the wall. Sometimes it is only a few millimeters, but water still gets there, flows along the wall to the floor and, if the degree of sealing is insufficient, it can "please" the neighbors from below with a dark spot on the ceiling. Even if you live on the ground floor or in a private house, dampness under the bathroom will not bring anything good. mold and mildew, a musty smell. Therefore, they try to close these gaps. There are numerous and varied bathtub curbs that cover this gap. They are placed not only on bathtubs, but also on trays in the shower room or near the sinks. They just choose a different profile and its sizes. And the principles of installation remain the same.
Well-designed gap between bath and wall
Types of bath curbs and their installation
All bathroom curbs can be divided into two large categories, each of which has several subspecies:
- Polymer and PVC:
- Plastic (PVC) bath borders;
- Plastic corners;
- Self-adhesive tape;
- Foam or polyurethane (ceiling) curbs.
Multiple profiles of plastic bath curbs
Products from the first group are more affordable in price, they are easier to install. Ceramic, marble or granite curbs are more expensive and difficult to install, but they also look much more colorful. True, the bathroom design must also be appropriate.
These can be ceramic or marble
Why does the baseboard stink
There is another unpleasant moment that often appears after installing PVC bath curb. an unpleasant smell from under the plastic. It is not possible to make the connection 100% tight, although microscopic gaps remain. Water seeps into them, and it remains there. After a while, the water decays, begins to exude the same smell. This happens due to the adopted technology for installing the sides for the bathroom. it is recommended to first fill the gap between the bathroom and the wall with a sealant, and then install the baseboard. The idea is clear. so that the water that gets under the baseboard does not seep under the bath. And so it happens. the water remains in the remaining gap, from where it "smells".
How to install the bath curb correctly
To avoid such a nuisance, it is better to install the bath border immediately on the wall, without filling the gap with anything. Yes, with this installation, a few drops of water can seep under the bath. But such an amount will not cause any harm, with sufficient ventilation, after a while the moisture will dry out.
The installation method of the ceramic border depends on the wall finish and the size of the gap. If it is a tile, you can use a waterproof adhesive. If the tile is embossed or the wall is simply plastered, the installation on glue does not date the required level of tightness. In this case, mount the ceramic bath curb on a special tile adhesive for wet rooms. It is sold in bags in a dry form, before use, a certain amount of it is mixed with water until smooth.
Colors can be different, but more often white is used. to match the color of the bath
Installation technology for a ceramic bath curb
Ceramic curbs are made up of straight, corner and end elements. The number of straight elements is calculated based on the dimensions of the bath / shower tray, corners and ends with a standard placement for a bath, two are required, for a shower tray there can be one corner. Take the number of straight elements with a small margin. for pruning.
It is advisable to inspect all elements before laying. If there is a need (they do not fit exactly, there are differences in thickness, etc.), you can work on the back side a little with a file. It’s better not to use an angle grinder. chances are too great to harm more than fix.
Methods for gluing a border with duct tape and flexible (rubber) edge
It just seems like installing a strip of plastic with an adhesive backing is easy. Not at all: you must immediately put it in place, since it is unrealistic to move the plinth. Peeling off in an unsuccessful attempt is also not the best way out. some of the glue remains on the tiles and the side of the bathroom / shower tray. In general, you need to practice without removing the protective tape first.
Even if you immediately managed to put the curb in place, not everything is so rosy with this type of skirting board. The fact is that the tape on which they are attached is rather thick and even the edges tightly pressed against the wall and sides do not fit so tightly. Leakage is possible in some places, especially at the seams.
How to fit a flexible edge skirting board
If you really like this bathtub skirting board, you can glue it with glue / sealant. To do this, peel off the adhesive tape, apply an adhesive composition on the wrong side, put it in place, press it very well. The adhesive layer is thin, the plinth is pressed very tightly, leaks are almost excluded.
And one more thing. so that the border does not come off, you do not need to apply glue on the side that is attached to the bathtub (described above).
What to do after the sawing work has been done and how to protect yourself from possible negative consequences?
- Due to a decrease in the rigidity of the edge from the side of the cut, during operation, some violation of the geometry of the bath is possible, what experts call "led". Experienced masters advise in this case to install the bath not on standard legs, but on a solid frame.
- The required edge stiffness can be restored using the fiberglass and epoxy bumper repair kit mentioned above. It is necessary to glue them not the cut, but the inner surface of the bend of the bathtub edge, by 1-2 centimeters. This will help create additional edge support.
- Can be attached to the wall, from the undercut side, an aluminum profile or a wooden block. The side of the bath will rest on them. This will increase the rigidity of the entire structure.
It is worth remembering that shortening the bath will void your warranty. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about this.
Is it worth cutting any material?
First you need to decide on what material your bath is made of and whether it can be sawed. There are two main varieties:
Cracks and scratches will surely appear, and the structure will lose its rigidity. Bowls of the second type lend themselves to cutting if done correctly.
Can I cut to length?
The bathtub must never be cut to length. So you will definitely greatly violate the rigidity of the structure and the font will surely burst over time. It is better to get out of this situation differently: still make a strobe.
Can an acrylic bathtub be cut and how to do it? Important features of a quality cut
Everyone who has made repairs at least once in their life has made mistakes. Imagine, you bought an acrylic bathtub, you are about to install it, but it didn’t fit, because the bathroom is shorter. Is it possible to saw it off in this case and how to do it correctly?
How to shorten correctly?
If you still decide to remove a few centimeters from your bathtub, you should read the instructions below:
- Carefully take all measurements and decide exactly how much you need to cut. The saying "measure seven times, cut once" is about this.
- Cover the surface at the place of the future cut with masking tape. It will not allow cracks and chips to appear and it is more convenient to mark on it.
- Carefully and slowly mark the future cut. Draw the line for the cut with a felt-tip pen or marker.
Ways to get out of the situation
First, it is necessary to clarify that shortening the bath is radical, but not the only way to solve the problem. The following points are worth considering.
Make a groove in the wall for a bath. An excellent way out of the situation, the bath on the side will acquire additional support, and the structure becomes much more rigid. But this method is very dirty, and is possible only if the tiles have not yet been laid, because cutting the laid ceramics is a big risk. A load-bearing wall can also become an obstacle; it is strictly forbidden to make horizontal grooves in it.
If the above methods did not suit you, there is nothing left but to cut the bathtub. How to do it correctly and with less losses, we will consider below.
Fully sealed with lining
To avoid problems with the flow of water under the bath, it must be close to the wall.
The following solutions for eliminating the gap between the bathroom and the wall involve complete sealing of the remaining space, as well as waterproofing with modern materials.
When the distance between the edge of the bathroom and the section of the wall fluctuates within a few centimeters, it makes sense to place the bottom row of the facing tile at an angle. If you arrange a tiled shelf without bevels, it can be a convenient place for a shampoo can or a cup of coffee.
To eliminate large gaps, they resort to more serious procedures. Usually the bath is moved towards the mixer.
If the distance is large, so that the structure between the bathroom and the wall remains absolutely motionless, a special "foundation" is made from the floor.
For this, the resulting gap is laid:
The finished base is carefully poured with polyurethane foam and a decorative coating is laid with a top layer. For waterproofing purposes, all gaps are filled with layers of two-component sealant.
Concrete casting can also serve as a framework for cladding. It is arranged on a specially mounted formwork.
To do this, you can use a wooden beam or a metal profile fixed on the wall below the edge of the bathroom.
For sealing small gaps when the length of the bathroom is shorter than the length of the bathroom, common plastic corners are suitable.
It is worth noting the fragility of such protection: over time, the corners may darken and move away from the wall.
Decorative ceramic skirting boards are used as an alternative to trimming tiles. Great for use as a shelf or strip and PVC-based materials.
So, you can cut a suitable shelf from an ordinary tabletop or window sill yourself.
How to shorten correctly?
If you still decide to remove a few centimeters from your bathtub, you should read the instructions below:
The cut line may not be perpendicular to the board. The walls, or rather the tiles on them, often do not converge at right angles. Be sure to take this into account when marking. Remember about thermal expansion. a few millimeters of reserve will not allow the hot water bath to rest against the wall and deform.
Leg installation technology:
1. The bath is turned upside down, we put the frame on it and place it in the center.
2. The stand must be installed on the side and a long hairpin screwed into it.
3. We screw the nut onto it.
4. Insert the stand with a stud and nut into the hole in the long profile.
5. We tighten two more nuts.
6. From above we wind the plastic support.
7. The height from the side to the floor is approximately 60 cm. We adjust it with a hairpin, twisting it into the rack. It is necessary to set this length, then tighten the nuts on both sides of the profile. Installation of the first support completed.
The rest of the legs are installed in the same way. As a result, we will have 4 racks located in the corners, and one in the center of the front edge. Now we will screw 2 small studs into the short profiles, we will screw on them one nut and one plastic support.
Use two short self-tapping screws to screw it to the side from the inside. Let’s do the same with four other racks. Next, take a large building level and align the plastic supports on it, twisting or twisting them on the studs.
Everything is ready, you can turn it over and put it in place.
Here we have a little trouble. Since during the renovation we covered the walls with ceramic tiles, the width of the room decreased slightly. And although we laid the tiles, keeping in mind the size of 150 cm, it did not fit into its place. Missing 0.5 cm in one corner.
After a little thought, we found two ways out of this situation.
1. Angle grinder cut the strobe and gently knock out the tiles.
2. Cut off the corner on the bath itself.
Since she did not get up because of 5 mm, they decided not to touch the wall, but to cut the corner. Do not even cut, but grind. Place the grinding disc on the angle grinder, attach a 60-grit sandpaper wheel to it, and carefully remove the excess plastic. For strength and appearance, this operation does not pose any harm. But after that she easily fell into place.
Now let’s adjust the leg supports on the acrylic bathtub so that it stands firmly on the floor. By unscrewing or twisting them on hairpins, we will ensure that all seven pieces fit tightly against the base.
We align the horizontal to the building level. When we do this, tighten all the supports with nuts. As a result, the acrylic bathtub should stand firmly without wobbling. It remains to connect the drain fittings to the sewer.
The installation kit also includes hardware to secure the acrylic bathtub to the wall. Take one mount, lean it against the bottom from the bottom, mark the mark with a pencil. We drill a hole with a drill, insert a plastic dowel and attach the mount with a screw so that the side rests on it. We will make three fasteners in total.
To prevent water from flowing between the bathroom and the walls, it is necessary to install rubberized skirting boards on its sides, having coated them with a universal sealant. When it dries, you can safely use the shower, water will not flow along the walls. This is how you can install an acrylic bath with your own hands.
After reading what you read, you learned how to install an acrylic bathtub and that for this you do not need to pay specialists or hire an assistant. you can do it yourself. But before starting work, carefully read the instructions and look for the installation. this will help you understand all the intricacies of the process.
Tips for choosing
Before you learn how to properly install an acrylic bathtub, take some time to choose a quality product. Unfortunately, there are a lot of products on sale that only in appearance resemble acrylic bathtubs.
Pay particular attention to:
- The number of layers. They can be seen on the edge of the tub (cut). The optimal number is 5-7;
- The presence of thickening at the bottom of the bath. In production, a wooden bar is laid under a layer of fiberglass. It is not visible, but the outlines are clearly visible;
- Similar thickenings for threaded rods in the corners of the bathroom;
- Method of painting the power frame (powder technology is preferable);
- The qualities of the threaded adjustment knots on the legs (do not forget that a bathtub filled with water weighs from 150 to 280 kg).
Tip: Fraudsters often imitate more layers of fiberglass than they actually have, simply by processing the edges of the bath. Use a flashlight to make sure it’s thick enough. a fake will let light through, but a high-quality acrylic bathtub won’t.
When buying a bath, you will have to pay attention to the following nuances:
- Shape and size. Here you will have to focus on your preferences and the size of the bathroom. You can easily find a bathtub both of a traditional shape and a more original one, for example, a polygonal one. If you have very little space, then an acrylic corner bathtub is for you. Or take a closer look at the round model if you have a large room.
- Smoothness of the surface. Take a close look at the inner lining of the bathtub as it should be perfect. If the product has bumps, scratches, uneven color, then you should know that the bathtub is defective.
- Sheet thickness. The inner surface of an acrylic bath is mainly made with a polymer sheet 2-4 mm thick, less often 6 mm. To understand the thickness of the product, inspect the rim of the bath, where layers of material will be visible.
- To give the bathtub rigidity, fastening layers are used during production. Typically, it is polyurethane or fiberglass. To understand which one is used, run your hand along the outside of the bath: if you feel a ribbed relief. fiberglass in front of you, smooth. polyurethane.
- Check what is included with the acrylic bathtub. If you have a basic equipment, then only instructions will be attached to the bath. In a more advanced version, you will be provided with a frame for installation, a decorative screen, a waste-overflow system and installation kits. Fastening frame-frame. a special design developed for each series of acrylic bathtubs used to install plumbing.
- And of course, it is worth paying attention to where the acrylic bathtub was made. Try not to save money and watch the bath among reputable firms. For example, it is worth mentioning a company like Triton. They have a wide selection of acrylic bathtubs, with various options.
Acrylic legged bathtub
To find out how high-quality an acrylic bathtub is, you can take note of several ways:
- Tap the side of the tub. It’s good if the sound is dull.
- Attach to the outside of the included flashlight. If you can’t see the light from the inside, then you have a quality bath in front of you.
- Smell the bath. A high-quality product has no chemical pungent odor.
Acrylic bath daily care
An acrylic bathtub requires little maintenance. It is enough to rinse it after each use with clean running water, without using aggressive cleaning agents. For acrylic baths, you can purchase a special "chemistry". Of course, they are also effective in combating pollution, but they are not cheap. In addition, it is not recommended to constantly chemically clean the acrylic surface.
Many do not know how to clean an acrylic bath. It turns out that to carry out such cleaning, it is enough to purchase a soft cloth or sponge. It is also necessary to use soap or a special detergent for acrylic products. For daily care, it is enough to clean the surface of the bathtub with a soapy sponge to remove possible dirt. You can even simply rinse it with clean running water and completely remove moisture. With this care, no traces of rust or plaque will appear on the surface.
If such contamination still occurs, then how to clean the acrylic bathtub in this case? If the usual methods do not help, you need to choose special cleaning agents.
Recommendations for the use of cleaning agents
So, we discussed how you can clean an acrylic bath. Let’s talk about the possible uses of detergents. Read the basic rules for using cleaning products. Typically, the manufacturer places recommendations directly on the packaging. The basic rules of application are as follows:
- All liquid products should be applied to the surface with a soft sponge and after a while (from 5 to 20 minutes) rinse off with running water;
- The spray is sprayed over the surface of the acrylic bath. After a few minutes, the liquid is removed with running water.
Folk remedies for the care of acrylic bathtubs
If there are no detergents, and you do not know how to clean an acrylic bathtub at home, feel free to trust folk advice. Such funds do not have negative properties and do not harm health:
- Limescale will help remove citric acid. Fill the tub with hot water. Add 1 packet of citric acid. After 2 hours, drain the water and rinse the surface with clean water. Use a soft cloth to wipe the bathtub, removing any remaining moisture.
- All kinds of stains can be removed by rubbing them with toothpaste and rinsing with water.
- If the question arose about how to clean an acrylic bath from yellowness, try using ammonia and hydrogen peroxide in a 1: 1 ratio. This composition should be applied to heavily soiled areas and rubbed.
- In the fight against rust stains, you can use baking soda diluted with water. Gruel must be applied to contaminated areas and removed after 15 minutes.
What care products to use?
Before we tell you how to clean an acrylic bathtub at home, let us note that you need to remember some important rules. It is important to be careful and discreet when processing the product. Avoid using cleaning agents that contain abrasive elements, as well as pastes and powders containing ammonia, chlorine, alkali and acid. You need to know that such substances can damage the outer coating of the acrylic tank, cause small cracks and scratches to appear, and cause color loss. Therefore, before deciding what to clean the acrylic bathtub, you should carefully read the composition of the powder or paste. Avoid using metal brushes. Cleaning tools that are too hard will cause scratches and damage the finish.
What is acrylic?
For the manufacture of acrylic baths, plastic is used, which is distinguished by significant hardness and wear resistance. The surface of such products has a dirt-repelling effect, which prevents the development of harmful microorganisms. This material has been widely used in the dental field in the past. Thanks to new technologies, its price has dropped significantly. Therefore, the material began to be actively used in the production of plumbing.
How to clean an acrylic bathtub, what means?
Acrylic bathtubs have recently become popular and have taken the place of previously widely used cast iron structures. Such a product captivates with its lightness, as well as its sophisticated shapes. But at the same time, quite often the owners of such plumbing do not know how to clean an acrylic bathtub so as not to harm its appearance.