How to cut an OSB board at home
How and how to cut an OSB board?
Oriented strand board is a fairly popular material used in construction. This material is abbreviated as OSB or OSB. Such a large-format sheet needs to be adjusted to the required dimensions, so the craftsmen have to perform similar actions directly in the process of work. The article provides detailed information on how to easily and efficiently cut an OSB board.
OSB boards are one of the most popular materials used for interior decoration. With their help, you can create load-bearing elements of buildings, choose as different types of cladding. Similar materials are used in the assembly of cabinet furniture, stairs and other structures.
When choosing this product for work, you should familiarize yourself with the principle of manufacturing this material. OSB is a material having 3 or more layers. Each of them consists of crushed chips mixed with resin. The length and thickness of the chips can be very different, while they are oriented in opposite directions. To make the board more durable, all layers are located in a clear direction, while the location of the chips in each layer occurs perpendicular to the previous and next layers.
The wood-based panels contain resin and glue for bonding veneers, chips and sawdust. Thanks to this, the slabs are elastic and rather dense.
While these materials outperform solid pieces in some respects, they are sometimes more difficult to work with. This mainly concerns their sawing.
For high-quality cutting of OSB sheets, you should use special tools, and also adhere to some rules.
The sheets are cut first across the fiber, and then along it. This will protect the material from deformation and splitting.
The correct selection of tools is an important factor. For sawing on the inside, a saw (hand saw or band saw) is more suitable. When working on the reverse side, a contour or disc plate is more often used.
When using a circular saw, it is necessary to keep the rpm at a fairly high level.
The material should be fed smoothly, without jerking, otherwise there is a possibility of damage.
The choice of tools suitable for this material will allow you to work without creases and other defects.
With not a very large amount of work, you can even cut the slab at home with a hand saw or knife. But in this case it is unlikely that it will be possible to do it qualitatively. A hand hacksaw is not the best tool for sawing an OSB board. Even experienced craftsmen can rarely do such a job up to the mark. In the absence of other, more suitable tools, it is better to cut the plate with a saw with fine teeth, leading the tool gently. The knife is also least suitable for working with OSB sheets, it is more often used only for marking.
Here is a list of suitable tools to use when sawing sheet material.
Jigsaw. This tool is more suitable for making curved cuts. Cutting the sheets in a straight line with a jigsaw is quite difficult. In the process of work, defects in the form of chips and pile may occur on one of the sides of the product, therefore the correct choice of a file in this case is very important.
- Manual electric router. Using this tool will cut the slab clean and straight. But at the same time, it is often necessary to make several passes with a large plate thickness.
- The most successful option for cutting such materials is a circular. When using a circular saw, the cut is very high quality. The motor has enough power to cut even fairly thick sheets. Working with such a tool will allow you to get an edge perpendicular to the face of the sheet when cutting. Changing the slope will allow you to make the edge at a 45 degree angle. For best results it is worth using discs with a large number of teeth.
OSB boards are usually large, so it is preferable to cut them on the floor. If it is necessary to cut a large number of such sheets, it is advisable to do this on a special scaffold.
Regardless of the choice of tool, it is necessary to slightly raise the plate using small blocks of wood. When working with a jigsaw or hacksaw, they are placed along the cut.
How to Get Shiny & Smooth OSB for Furniture
Using a circular saw, the bars should be laid across. The successful arrangement of the lining bars will not allow the material to break.
Using the advice of experienced craftsmen for cutting such materials, you can cut OSB sheets quickly and without defects.
During operation, the rotation speed of the device should be maximum. In the event that the saw starts to go with effort, or when the workpiece “burns”, it is necessary to reduce the rotation speed of the tool. In this case, it is necessary to ensure the minimum feed rate.
Before cutting the sheet, it is necessary to make a test cut by selecting an unnecessary piece of material. This will make sure that the markings are well visible, as well as choose the most suitable speed, evaluate the quality of work, and determine the size of the finished product.
The basic rule when sawing sheets is continuous and smooth guidance of the tool, since when stopped, traces often remain. Many beginners, trying to avoid chips at the end, begin to cut the slab from both sides, which is incorrect.
You need to make sure you have access to the markings, it is convenient to distribute the cable of the working tool.
It is necessary to cut not along the mowing line of the marking, but next to it.
When marking, it is necessary to take into account the thickness of the cut.
Before starting work, make sure that the tool is working at full power. This will protect against “kickback”.
After completing the work, you must wait until the disc has completely stopped, and then remove it from the sheet.
The main task of the masters when fixing the plates is to exclude the possibility of jamming of the equipment in the sheet during work. And also it is necessary to exclude excessive vibration. To protect the front surface from raising the pile and from chipping, use suitable tools for this, and also select the desired modes of their operation. Some experts advise sticking masking tape along the cutting line of the cut, making a marking directly on top of it. this will allow you to get a high-quality cut.
Many people recommend using a sharp knife to mark the line. In this case, the knife blade will cut through the fibers in the upper layers, reducing the likelihood of chipping. To obtain a clear cut mowing line, it is advisable to choose a “guide” in the form of an edged board, a bar, trimming material with smooth edges or aluminum rules. The guide is fixed on the plate using self-tapping screws.
By choosing the right tool and preparing it for work, you can provide the desired result without wasting time and effort.
Watch a video on how to cut an OSB board.
Walls or ceilings in a room with a natural slab texture will look attractive and make the interior more comfortable. This combination of compositions is often used by designers. Stains with a patina effect work well to give the slab the desired hue.
Vinyl or polyurethane-based varnish will protect wood from aggressive environmental influences.
How and how to paint OSB indoors?
Oriented strand boards are often used in the construction industry. They have an affordable cost, long service life and good technical characteristics. OSB is made from large-sized wood chips, it makes up about 90% of the total mass. Resins or paraffin-wax impregnations are used as a binder. For greater decorativeness and protection, additional paints and varnishes are used.
Interior paints overview
Cover the ceiling and walls in the room with a safe composition, taking into account environmental requirements. Not all polymer-based paints and varnishes are suitable for indoor use, some of them release toxins into the air. In the house, you need to use only those compounds that will not harm. When choosing a paint, you should take into account the following nuances:
- the type of plate, which directly depends on the size of the chips used for manufacturing;
- method of processing, smoothing or preservation of texture;
- the surface on which the slabs are located;
- features of the indoor climate.
After evaluating these criteria, you can proceed to the selection of the coloring composition. It is important that the coating can handle the stress and conditions.
If we are talking about slabs on the floor, then it is necessary to choose a composition that is not afraid of water and detergents.
Recommendations to consider when choosing.
- Since OSB is made from a natural wood material, it is oil paints that can be used everywhere. The main component of the composition is drying oil. It prevents material from being absorbed into the board, which significantly reduces consumption. The paint not only decorates OSB, but also protects it with a rather thick and durable layer. It is a good solution for finishing your floor.
- Alkyd compounds are usually used for painting wall and floor tiles. They also allow you to enjoy a strong and durable finish. However, paint consumption is significant, so such coloring will not be economical.
- Water-based compositions. They are bad for high humidity. Good solution for wall treatment. However, you should not use the composition in the bathroom or in the kitchen. Can be used for painting walls in rooms with dry microclimate. The composition is non-toxic and completely safe for health. The paint can be used in the bedroom and nursery without the slightest risk.
- Polyurethane based paint is great for high humidity environments. The coating is durable and resistant to the external environment. This is due to the special composition, which also contains resins.
- A clear water-based varnish will preserve the texture and color of the board. At the same time, OSB will be reliably protected from moisture, ultraviolet radiation and mechanical stress.
- Epoxy can be applied to boards that are the final flooring. So the surface will be perfectly smooth, and the appearance will remain natural. There are also pigmented compositions with high decorative effect. Chips or glitter are often added to this resin for decoration.
Preparation for painting
OSB is often used in the country as the main building material. Sheets are affordable, they show themselves well in use. The panels should be painted after installation. Proper preparation of sheets will provide a high-quality and durable coating that will not only decorate OSB, but also protect.
- Grinding. It is produced to smooth out the natural texture. Irregularities on the slab are due to the fact that large chips are used in the manufacture. The use of a sander is recommended. For uniformity, you will have to work carefully and for a long time. Deep sanding is required when using OSB-3 and OSB-4. Such models have a protective coating of varnish and wax, which will have to be removed completely.
- Smoothing unevenness with putty. The surface must be leveled before painting. Any grooves can be repaired with a suitable filler. In order to close up large holes, you can use an oil-based adhesive. With the help of such a putty, it is easy to repair the traces of mounting fasteners. Then the OSB should be sanded again. It is not recommended to use putty on the seams and joints that form on the border of the sheet. Such places still stand out even after staining. You can hide the joints only with the help of special decorative panels.
- Primer. Usually water-based varnishes with acrylic or polyurethane are used. In this case, the composition must be diluted according to the instructions. Usually, 10 liters of water are used for 1 liter of varnish, unless otherwise indicated in the instructions. Alternatively, an alkyd varnish is used. This composition is diluted with white spirit. The primer should be applied slowly and carefully so that the slab is thoroughly impregnated. When using light paint, it is important to avoid tar or essential oil stains on the surface. For this, an adhesive primer is used.
The decorative finish not only decorates the surface, but also protects it from adverse conditions. When choosing, it is worth focusing on where the OSB is located. So, the floor and walls can be covered with washable material, but for the ceiling this is not so important.
You can cover the plate with such compositions.
- Polyurethane paints. They allow you to make on OSB not only a decorative, but also a protective layer. A good solution for interior decoration in any room.
- Latex paints. After drying, the coating is elastic and resistant to chemical detergents. The paint does not emit toxins, therefore it can be used inside the house. A good solution for flooring, because maintenance will be as simple as possible.
- Alkyd paints. Protect OSB from moisture and ultraviolet radiation, do not fade in the sun and dry quickly after staining. They are made on the basis of alkyd resins. A protective film forms on the surface of the slab. During work, good ventilation should be ensured, the composition has an unpleasant pungent odor.
- Oil paint. The consistency of the composition is thick, therefore a thick coating layer forms on the slab. A good solution for processing OSB ends, protects against moisture. This type of material has a pungent odor that disappears for a long time after drying. And the drying process itself takes longer, so the work takes longer.
Disperse compositions are made on the basis of polyacrylates and their copolymers. As a result, a film forms on the surface. Acrylic paint can be used to paint OSB indoors. Particularly good for covering floor panels. The composition, after drying, protects the material from various influences.
Environmentally friendly and safe formulations have an affordable cost. The slab is reliably protected from moisture, so the flooring does not require special handling. The compositions are used not only for indoor but also for outdoor work. Work with this type of paint can even be carried out on a veranda or balcony.
There are many options for coloring OSB. You can use one color and make the surface completely smooth. Some people prefer to work without sanding and maintain the natural texture of the slab. The process is quite simple and the technology is not very different from the treatment of any other surface.
Painting a large area with a roller. It is possible to simply and beautifully cover the slab using multilayer technology. It takes a lot of time and patience, but the result is worth it.
How To Cut And Install OSB Sheathing OSB 1/2”
The most common method is used for decorating flooring.
Below is a step-by-step instruction for staining with an imitation of natural stone.
SterlingOSB Hints and Tips
- You should first make a sketch of the design, and in color and graphic versions. This will greatly simplify further work.
- Paint the slab completely with base paint. The lightest shade is selected. It is convenient to use a spray gun for application. So the composition will seep into all textured depressions and will not spoil the natural relief.
- At this stage, you can use a sander to highlight and accentuate the relief. However, this is optional.
- The entire area should be divided into elements, the shape of which corresponds to stones or some other objects. It all depends on the features of the chosen design. The markup can be done with a simple pencil, focusing on a previously drawn up diagram. Then, with a brush, you should outline the contours with paint, 4-5 shades darker than the base.
- Each decorative piece should be painted in a different shade. The choice depends on the design and is strictly individual.
- Each element must be cleaned. It is not necessary to process the entire stone. You can just wipe it from 1-2 sides to beat the volume.
- The contours of the stones should be drawn again. The same shade of paint is used as in the beginning.
- Allow to dry completely and cover with varnish. The base is selected based on the type of paint.
Such staining with imitation of other surfaces is laborious and suitable for a creative person. However, it is not always possible to be so sophisticated. There is another way that even a beginner can easily handle. A good solution for slabs on the walls, only 2 paint colors can be used. Correctly perform work according to this scheme.
- Apply pigment primer to the surface. It will be basic and will create an attractive finish. Usually a white polyurethane compound is used. Under normal conditions, the coating will dry in just 3-4 hours.
- After drying, sand the surface again and carefully remove all dust after that. It is best to use a vacuum cleaner.
- You can use the special “Pearl Effect” composition to create a subtle shine on the stove. Apply according to the manufacturer’s instructions. It takes about an hour to dry.
- Use a spray gun to apply a patina that will slightly age the surface. After spraying paint, wait about 10 minutes and remove excess. For this, sandpaper type P320 is used. After that, all dust should be removed from the OSB again.
- In some cases, work can be finished already at this stage. The slab turns out to be attractive and effective.
- Now more important work begins. Mix colored acrylic varnish with stain and spray on OSB. The latter can be replaced with another composition, paint. The varnish should be taken without gloss. It will take about 1.5 hours to dry.
- During the drying process, the color may change slightly, and the board itself will become more dull. This should be taken into account when choosing materials.
- The topcoat can be done by anyone. Matte or glossy varnishes are used. The soft-touch composition is popular for treating walls, which creates a matte elastic coating that resembles rubber.
When choosing a staining technology, you should be guided by your own skills.
OSB can be used to create very attractive designs. It is possible to decorate surfaces with drawings, to preserve the texture of wood. The choice depends solely on the interior, because all elements must be in harmony with each other.
High-quality and reliable OSB (OSB) boards produced by DOK Kalevala LLC are widely used today in the fields of production and construction. Oriented strand boards are made from coniferous wood chips and a binder by pressing under the influence of high temperature. over, for the manufacture of one plate, three layers of chips are used, in each of which the chips are located parallel to each other and perpendicular to the chips of the adjacent layer. This gives the material increased strength.
OSB boards are very strong, reliable, easy to handle and operate. They do not contain voids, knots, do not delaminate, do not deform under the influence of moisture. That is why OSB is used in modern construction and renovation, in interior decoration, in the production of packaging and furniture.
Below are the recommendations of experts regarding the use of this material.
Selecting the appropriate type of plate
To carry out the work, it is necessary to select the desired slab size and the correct type of OSB in accordance with the humidity indicators at the facility and the level of the planned load.
There are the following plate modifications: OSB-1. Suitable for indoor use with low air humidity and light load. They are general purpose constructions. OSB-2. The boards are suitable for indoor use with low air humidity. Belongs to the category of load bearing structures. OSB-3. Can be used in high humidity conditions. Belongs to the category of load bearing structures. This type of board is the most popular and in demand on the market.
How to properly fix OSB boards to the wall from the outside of the house.
Unlike Fiberboard and Particleboard, OSB sheets are of normal thickness.
Several layers of OSB laid on the floor provide excellent sound insulation, increase thermal insulation characteristics, and also soften the impact with the floor when walking. Modern manufacturers have abandoned the addition of toxic substances to the composition of the plates, so this building material is completely environmentally friendly.
With the help of OSB, a wooden floor is very often leveled, which has deteriorated over time. OSB boards are easy to install, do not require special skills and tools, so it will not be difficult to fix irregularities in the wood floor. How to do it yourself. in the material.
In parallel with how to sheathe a wooden OSB house with nagging from the inside http://domgvozdem.ru/index.php/ograzdauyshie-konsnrukcii/642-kak-obshit-dom-OSB-panelyami
Laying OSB on a wooden floor with your own hands
OSB is a popular building material consisting of several layers of wood chips pressed and glued together with resins, which has become an excellent replacement for Fiberboard and Particleboard. The boards are glued in several layers: to create the outer ones, the shavings are laid along the length, and for the inner ones. already along the width. This placement provides OSB boards with increased strength and gives them the ability to firmly hold self-tapping screws (or other fasteners used).
OSB APPLICATION GUIDE
If everything is done correctly, you can even cut the material even with such a primitive tool.
So if you grab a hacksaw and start sawing right after marking, the edges will be terribly uneven. This is due to the peculiarities of plywood, however, there is a way out. Before you start sawing, you need to pour boiling water over the material, let it soak a little, and then remove excess liquid. This measure allows you to achieve an even and smooth cut.
There is another way. before cutting, make cuts with a sharp knife. over, they should be located at a distance of only 1-2 mm from each other (depending on the thickness of the tool). This measure allows you to avoid breaking the hacksaw and, as a result, an uneven cut.
Thus, it can be stated that any tool can produce a high-quality cut. The main thing is to adhere to simple rules for cutting. However, in order to guarantee the desired result, it is better to purchase professional tools or seek help from specialists.
How to cut plywood?
Plywood is one of the most popular materials for decoration today. In this regard, many people have a question, how to cut plywood? To answer it, you should read some useful information.
How to cut an OSB board at home
How to cut and secure these plates
OSB boards are quite well processed. But since this material contains binders and consists of wood chips, not all tools are ideally suited for cutting. Can be used:
- A hacksaw with fine teeth, perfectly pointed, which should be kept at the smallest angle to the plane. But this is a long time ago, it is difficult to achieve perfect uniformity of the cut, chips are inevitable;
- Mosaic also leaves shavings; pile is formed along the mowing line of the cut. But this is the best choice if you need to cut out the curved part of the house. For OSB, use a clean cut file;
- A manual electric milling machine with a speed of 5-20 mm / s makes a clean, but not deepest cut. Thus, you have to make several passes. But for blind cuts and discharges making curved holes, it is extremely convenient;
- The multi-tooth circular saw provides a clean, perfectly flat cut, and can also be rotated 45 ° for a slanted edge.
Most often OSB is fastened with screws. But it matters which base or support is fastened.
If the slabs are laid on a concrete base, a rubber-based adhesive is used, which should be applied to the underside of the slab. Additional fixing is carried out using dowel nails on concrete, the length of which must be 30-35 mm longer than the thickness of the slabs. They are hammered in increments of 20-30 cm.
For fastening to a tree (old floor board, logs, rafters, roof covering or the base of a wall made of timber, boards), you can use:
- Self-tapping screws for wood;
- Spiral (screw) nails;
- Nail ring.
- For inclined and horizontal
For planes (roof, floor, ceiling), the length of the reinforcement must be 40-45 mm greater than the thickness of the slab for wall cladding. 45-50 mm for nails and at least 2.5 times for screws. If in principle, so that the cap does not protrude from the surface, you need to use self-tapping screws with heads in the form of dishes. For floors, phosphate screws are suitable for installation on logs, and zinc coated. On a solid board. For roofing, a zinc-coated coating is better.
- On the crotch supports. 30 cm;
- In the joints. 15 cm,
- Along the perimeter. 10 cm
The distance from the edge must be at least 1 cm.
The slabs are fixed to the OSB iron profile frame with iron screws 10-15 mm longer than the thickness of the slab. The step is the same as when attached to a tree.
The price of OSB depends on the thickness and area of the slab, brand, finishing. For OSB-3, it varies in the following range:
|Thickness in mm.||Minimum cost per sheet||Maximum cost per sheet|
|6||237.00 UAH||UAH 259.2|
|eight||UAH 204.40||UAH 281.00|
|ten||UAH 221.50||UAH 284.00|
|12||UAH 265.40||343,00 UAH|
|fifteen||340,00 UAH||425.00 UAH|
|eighteen||410.00 UAH||527.05 UAH|
|22||UAH 643.70||UAH 643.70|
OSB also differs in the method of surface treatment and finishes. They can be varnished, laminated, veneered.
How to cut an OSB board
Selection of paint for OSB boards and development of painting
OSB boards. This is one of the types of wood-based materials that are in demand among builders and finishers. In most cases, such plates are used for wall cladding indoors, small buildings in the form of country houses, and also for the floor. Since this material itself does not have a representative appearance, painting OSB boards indoors is often actually the only option for performing finishing work. This development has its own nuances. And before painting the OSB board inside the house, you need to understand in detail the painting process, find out which paint is best suited for this purpose for us.
Using the advice of experienced craftsmen for cutting similar materials, you can cut OSB sheets quickly and without defects.
During operation, the rotation speed of the device must be the highest. In the case when the saw starts to go with effort, or when the workpiece “burns out”. you need to reduce the speed of rotation of the tool. In this case, it is necessary to ensure the minimum feed rate.
Before cutting off the sheet, you need to make a test cut, choosing an unnecessary piece of material. This will make it possible to make sure of good visibility of the markings, as well as select a more suitable speed, evaluate the quality of work, and determine the size of the finished product.
The basic rule when sawing sheets is continuous and smooth guidance of the tool, since when stopped, traces often remain. Almost all newcomers, trying to avoid chips at the end, begin to cut the slab from 2 sides, which is incorrect.
It is necessary to make sure of access to the markings, to comfortably distribute the cable of the working tool.
You need to cut not along the marking strip, but next to it.
When marking, you need to take into account the thickness of the cut.
Before starting work, make sure that the tool is working at full power. This will protect against “kickback”.
After completing the work, you need to wait until the disc stops one hundred percent, and then remove it from the sheet.
The main task of the masters when fixing the plates is to exclude the possibility of jamming of the equipment in the sheet during work. And you also need to exclude excessive vibration. To protect the front surface from raising the pile and from chips, use tools suitable for this, and also choose the necessary modes of their operation. Some experts recommend sticking masking tape along the cut strip, making a markup right on top of it. this will allow you to get a high-quality cut.
Many people advise to create markings with a sharp knife. In this case, the blade of the knife will cut through the fibers in the upper layers, reducing the possibility of chipping. To obtain an accurate cutting strip, it is better to choose a “guide” in the form of an edged board, a bar, trimming material with smooth edges, or aluminum rules. The guide is fixed on the plate using self-tapping screws.
By choosing the right tool and preparing it for work, you can provide the desired result without unnecessary waste of time and effort.
Watch a video on how to cut an OSB board.
Proper preparation has a significant impact on how well the final color will be. The more thorough the preparation, the higher the adhesion of the material and substrate to other surfaces. Then the decorative layer will last even longer.
- Colors can be done for panel mounting, if it can be. But this option has a bad effect on the appearance of the structure. Therefore, more often they all process the cladding, the installation of which has already been completed.
- Grinding is carried out carefully on the surface of the slabs. Regular sandpaper works unbeatable. This will not only allow masking the very structure of the slab, but will get rid of the layer of protection, which often prevents the penetration of the primer into depth.
Preparatory processing is done in the following sequence:
- We use putty to level the surface of all parts and places where screws are attached. Glue-oil base. The best choice.
- Mizhplitov and seams are sealed with a glue-oil mixture. But borders often become visible and remain subtle. The advice of experienced craftsmen is not to waste time trying to disguise the material, but simply hide the seams themselves with decorative elements.
- When the putty is dry, sand it down until the surface is completely flat. How can OSB be covered. This is already a separate question.
The priming process is as follows. Here’s what you can use:
- The most common option. Aqua-based varnish for wood surfaces. Acrylic or acrylic-polyurethane compounds are diluted using a ratio of 1:10. Later they are applied to the boards until the impregnation is uniform.
- Oil varnish. One of the available alternatives. But for breeding, not water is used, but white spirit or other similar means. Then the painted object will look better.
- So-called adhesive primers are a good candidate. Such compositions help to make high-quality surface protection from paint.
What is the thickness of the OSB board for logs
OSB boards serve as a solid base for the floor. They can be laid on a solid foundation (concrete or old plank floor) for leveling, hardening and insulation. Often, OSB is also installed on logs. If you place very thin plates on supports that are far from each other, they will bend under overload. The larger the pitch between the logs, the thicker the OSB required. OSB-3 is suitable for the floor; these boards combine the highest strength with moisture resistance.
Important! The table shows averaged data; to obtain the clearest engineering calculations, you need to take into account a number of additional factors.