How to cut chipboard without chips with a circular saw
In order to make an even cut without damaging the laminate layer, you will need to take a jigsaw file, in which the size of the teeth will be the smallest. It is advisable to use a jigsaw for cutting small-sized sections of chipboard. Jerks and excessive pressure during work should be avoided. The feed speed of the cutting blade at the tool should be selected as minimum.
This device is quite capable of making a smooth and high-quality cut without chips of the laminated surface.
This hand tool is used in combination with a metal blade, as it has the smallest teeth. Before work, a sticky paper tape must be glued to the cut site, which protects the lamination layer from damage. The hand saw blade must be held at an angle of 30–35 °, this position reduces the likelihood of chipping on the material. The movements of the hacksaw blade should be smooth, without pressure on the blade.
After the cut is completed, the edges of the cut will need to be processed with a file and fine-grained emery paper.
How to Cut a Straight Line with a Circular Saw in Plywood MDF or Particle Board
How and what to cut the chipboard without chips?
- Cutting rules
- Materials and tools
- Electric jigsaw
- Hand saw
- Circular saw
- Electric milling cutter
- How to cut correctly?
The abbreviation chipboard should be understood as a laminated chipboard, which consists of natural wood waste mixed with a polymer adhesive composition, and has a lamination in the form of a monolithic film consisting of several layers of paper impregnated with resin. The lamination process is carried out under industrial conditions under a pressure of 28 MPa and at a high temperature regime, reaching 220 ° C. As a result of such processing, a very durable glossy coating is obtained, which can have various color shades and is highly resistant to mechanical damage and moisture.
This power tool consists of a small work table and a rotating toothed disc. A circular saw cuts a chipboard much faster and better than an electric jigsaw. During the sawing process, the saw is turned on at low speed. In this case, chips may appear on the opposite side of the saw teeth.
To prevent this situation, before starting the sawing, paper adhesive tape is glued to the cutting site.
Electric milling cutter
It is a hand-held type of power tool that is used to saw and drill wood-based panels. Before starting work in laminated chipboard, using a hand jigsaw, make a small cut, retreating from the marking contour by 3-4 mm. During the sawing process, several cutter blades and its bearing device are used, which regulates the cutting depth. It is not so easy to use a cutter, so you need to have some skill with this tool to cut the slab. The movement of the cutter is quite fast, and there is a possibility of making an uneven cut.
But with the help of a cutter, you can get a perfectly smooth cut of the material. the appearance of chips and cracks when using this device is very rare.
The use of hand tools is advisable in the manufacture of single products from laminated chipboard. For mass production, it is advisable to purchase format-cutting equipment.
Laminated chipboard is made from waste from sawn hardwood and coniferous species, while the plate is lightweight and is used for the manufacture of furniture structures. Most home furniture makers prefer laminated particle board when choosing raw materials for furniture making. This material is relatively inexpensive, and in outlets there is always a wide variety of colors and textures to choose from. The difficulty in working with chipboard is that it is very difficult to saw off a part of the sheet of the required size due to the fact that the fragile laminated layer creates cracks and chips at the cutting site. Knowledge of some of the techniques used in work helps to cope with this task.
To cut laminated chipboard, you need to arm yourself with a fine-toothed saw.
over, the smaller and more often they are located on the tool blade, the cleaner and smoother the finished cut of the laminated material will be.
For an accurate and high-quality performance of sawing work, it is necessary to act in a certain sequence.
- On the chipboard sheet, it is necessary to outline the cutting line, where to glue the paper adhesive strip tightly. The tape will prevent the saw teeth from crushing the lamination layer during the sawing process.
- With the help of an awl or a knife blade, a groove with a recess is made along the mowing line. Thus, we cut through a thin layer of lamination in advance, making it easier for ourselves when cutting. Moving along this groove, the saw blade will move along a tangent plane, while cutting deep layers of wood-shaving material.
- When cutting, it is recommended to hold the saw blade at an acute angle relative to the working plane of the plate.
- If the sawing work is to be carried out using an electric tool, the feed speed of the cutting blade should be kept to a minimum so that the saw cannot vibrate or bend.
- After sawing off, the cut of the workpiece must be processed first with a file, and then with sandpaper. The cut must be processed with movements from the center to the edge of the workpiece.
To protect the cut point on the workpiece from further chips or cracks, it is closed by applying melamine adhesive tape, or end edges are fixed, which can have a T-shaped or C-shaped appearance.
After such decorative masking, not only the appearance of the slab is improved, but also the service life of the material is increased.
Materials and tools
In the conditions of a woodworking enterprise, special equipment is used to cut a sheet of chipboard, which is called a panel saw. Some private furniture workshops purchase such a machine, but it is hardly advisable to install it at home due to the high cost. Household power tools can replace such equipment. sawing a chipboard can be done with a circular saw or a hacksaw. The sawing process will take quite a lot of time and effort, but from an economic point of view, it will be quite justified.
How to cut correctly?
It is quite possible to cut the chipboard without chips at home with your own hands. It greatly simplifies the task of preliminary creation of a groove with a sharp object in the area of the cut. Once in this place, the blade of the cutting tool follows a predetermined path and it turns out to cut much easier. Straight cuts on laminated chipboard are much easier to do than to cut a sheet figured.
It is extremely difficult to carry out curvilinear configurations using household appliances; this can be done only with the use of an electrophoresis. This tool performs a high-quality cut and has a lot of additional functions.
The price of an electromill depends on the manufacturer, so you can choose a budget model with good technical parameters.
To cut a sheet of laminated chipboard using an electromill, you must perform the following steps:
- on the surface of an ordinary chipboard, all the contours of the future workpiece are marked;
- using an electric jigsaw, the workpiece is cut out, retreating from the intended contour by 1–2 mm;
- the finished sawn-off template is cleaned with a file or sandpaper;
- a prepared stencil is placed on a sheet of laminated chipboard and fixed with carpentry clamps so that it is in a stationary position;
- along the contour of the stencil, using an electromill cutter equipped with a bearing mechanism, cut out the contours of the workpiece, cutting off the edge exactly along the intended mowing line;
- after completing the work, the end sides are cleaned and processed with a decorative edge.
The use of an electromill allows you to make a figured cut of chipboard without chips and cracking of the material.
Electromill knives must completely capture the entire thickness of the workpiece material. this is the only way to get a high-quality product.
You can learn about four ways to cut chipboard without chipping with a jigsaw from the video below.
Using a router
Milling cutter. a power tool for manual woodworking. Suitable for grooving, shaping, edging and drilling. Before using it, a sheet of wood is sawn with a jigsaw, stepping back 3 mm from the markings. It is necessary to cut with a milling cutter together with a bearing, which forms the cutting depth to the required level. This is a laborious process that only experienced specialists can do. There is a high probability of crookedly cutting the board.
The tool is a table with a toothed disk for chipboard. Among the craftsmen, it is called a circular saw. Cuts through wood better than a jigsaw. A good chipping-free result is possible by sketching the guide lines and securing the circular saw to the board. Chips should not appear at the point where the saw cuts into the plate. But the opposite side can be cut with fragments.
Sawing with a panel saw
The workpiece is placed on the table and fixed in a stationary state. The necessary markings are made on the sheet and the saw unit is turned on. When the disc reaches a sufficient speed, the table moves forward along with the wooden plates and hits the disc.
- tile position;
- the depth of the cut;
- cutting angle.
Chipboard cutting machines are divided into 3 types:
- lungs. for 5 hours of continuous work;
- medium. up to 10 hours;
- heavy. up to 20 hours.
What the cutting machine consists of:
- The bed is the mount on which the entire mechanism rests. A heavy bed will add stability to the instrument and eliminate vibration. This is important for a quality cut.
- Saw unit. consists of 2 flat metal discs. The first cuts the slab first, and the second cuts through it completely.
- Work tables. Three take part in the process at once. The first is for the location of the unit, the second is for feeding the sawn-off plates (movable), the third is for supporting the sawn-off parts.
- Carriage. allows the moving table to move. In this case, the workpiece is fixed with a stop and rulers in the required position.
Before sawing, choose a method, as well as accessories and tools.
- masking tape;
- pencil, ruler;
- milling cutter;
- a circular saw;
- sawing machine.
How to cut chipboard without chips step by step:
- Place dots on the end part of the chipboard. You need to determine in advance what type of cutting will be made. straight or curly. Their cutting technique is different.
- Connect the dots in the fishing line and stick the adhesive tape on top. It is desirable to saw laminated chipboard using adhesive tape. It will reduce cracks when cutting, as the wood board is subjected to strong pressure as the temperature rises.
- Saw the board. The accessory is set at the desired angle to achieve extremely smooth edges. The process should take place smoothly, rhythmically and without strong pressure.
- Finish irregularities and edges, if necessary, with a file and a rasp. The edges can be pasted over with a matching color veneer. This will protect them and make them look prettier.
To mask low-quality ends, the method of decorative finishing is used. veneering (pasting the sides). Thus, not only will the appearance be improved, but also the service life of the product will be increased.
Only after placing all the necessary tools on the table, you can start cutting.
The process requires a tire. a persistent ruler. It is fixed on the board with clamps. Trimming is carried out according to the markings. The tire is installed along the mowing line, and the cut is made 10 mm deep. The second cut is made through. With this method, there will be no chips on both sides, since the laminate has already been cut on the underside.
Some elements used in design ideas are not cut straight, but curved. In this case, a mixed type of chipboard cutting is used.
Methods for cutting chipboard without chips
You need to saw the laminated board with a special machine (format-saw). But his) when it comes to home use. An alternative can be budget options (hacksaw, jigsaw, etc.), which will take more time when cutting, but require less cash investment.
How to cut chipboard without chips at home
Chipboard. chipboard. It is used in the manufacture of furniture and decoration. Affordable price is the main feature. In modern wood production, laminated boards are used. They are made from coniferous and deciduous-wood materials. They are distinguished by their strength and ease of processing. Incorrect cutting process can lead to breakage and cracks. To avoid this, you should know what to do to cut chipboard without chips at home.
Using a hacksaw
Sawing with a hacksaw at home is quite difficult. First, you need to cut the measuring line with a knife and glue tape on it. This will protect the top layer from damage. Aim the tool at an angle of 30 degrees. Carefully, without strong pressure, move the hacksaw back and forth. To cut chipboard without chips with a hacksaw at home, choose devices with the finest teeth. In case of damage, the place of cutting must be passed with a file, guiding it from the edge to the center. Finally, rub with sandpaper (fine-grained) and hide the defects under a flexible profile.
The most correct sawing and a guarantee of the absence of chips can be provided by only one tool. a panel saw, which belongs to professional equipment. Since the machine is very expensive and is mainly used in production, amateurs usually cannot afford it. The only optimal solution in this case is to turn to professionals. Companies specializing in cutting furniture parts usually use these machines in their work.
The panel saws have the following settings, which are set depending on the length and width of the board for cutting:
- position of the workpiece;
- the depth of the cut;
- cutting angle.
The machines themselves are divided into the following types:
Woodworking Fact or Fiction: Does Tape on Wood Give Cleaner Cuts? / Less Tear-Outs
- lungs (can work 5 hours);
- medium (can work from 8 to 10 hours);
- heavy (can work from 16 to 20 hours).
Components of the panel saw, which allow to ensure the accuracy and absence of chips in the manufacture of parts:
- the bed is the fixed base of the machine on which all other mechanisms are attached. The heavier it is, the better for cutting, since this eliminates vibrations and vibrations that can interfere with the process;
- undercutting unit. an element that pre-saws the workpiece of the part and serves so that there are no chips from below;
- the main saw serves for the final sawing of the slab and is responsible for a clean cut without chips from above;
- desktops. there are only three of them. The first is stationary and serves as the basis for the scoring unit, the second is movable, and on it the plate is fed to the disk, the third serves to support the parts that are sawn off from the plate;
- carriage. part of the machine that provides the formatting table with the ability to move;
- stops and rulers are components, the main function of which is to fix the slab in the desired position.
The design of panel saws allows them to provide such precision in cutting laminated chipboard parts for furniture that no other tool can guarantee. In addition, this is the only way that allows you to completely avoid chips.
A circular saw
A circular (or circular) saw is another tool that can be used to make furniture pieces.
To cut, you need to mark the guides of the mowing line on the plates and fix the saw on the board, but it is not a fact that the edges of the parts will turn out to be even. In this case, chips appear on the back of the plate. And they can be processed only with the help of plastic profiles with latches on the ends of the chipboard. But circular is not the cheapest pleasure, and even with it you will not avoid chips, so in this case there is no point in overpaying.
What tools can be used
A jigsaw is the most popular solution at home, since the tool itself does not cost fabulous money, which means it is available for the average consumer.
Saw blades for cutting tabletops using a jigsaw should be selected in a small length (not exceeding 75 cm) with teeth of classes A or B, suitable specifically for chipboard.
In the process of cutting with a jigsaw, you need to make smooth movements with the tool without pressure at a speed slightly above average. Chips are most likely to appear on the opposite side of the slab from the one that includes the jigsaw teeth.
Chips in the process appear on the back of the plate and spoil the appearance of the part. It will be possible to remove them only with a milling cutter, and this is an additional amount of work and wasted material. Therefore, this tool does not suit us either.
Another option for sawing laminated chipboard is the power tool for manual woodworking. It is used in tandem with a jigsaw. The process looks like this: first, cut the chipboard with a jigsaw, slightly moving away from the markings, and then with a milling cutter with a bearing that deepens the cut to the desired level.
The main disadvantages of this tool are that it is not as common as, for example, an angle grinder, and not everyone has it in the house. Well, its use is a rather laborious process, which only qualified specialists can handle, and beginners should not even approach it.
- Than categorically it is impossible to saw chipboard
- What tools can be used
- A circular saw
- Panel saw
- Rules to follow during the sawing process
This tool is used for the good old scratch method. I must say that it is difficult to achieve good quality sawing with a hacksaw.
The algorithm of actions in this case is as follows:
- First, we scratch or cut the measuring line on the material with some kind of piercing-cutting tool (for example, a knife) and glue adhesive tape over it. It is needed in order not to damage the laminated coating.
- We direct the hacksaw to the material at an angle of 30 degrees and smoothly move it back and forth. Chips from it in this case will definitely remain.
- If damage from a hacksaw remains, then we go through them with a file (from edge to center).
- The final stage is to process the slices of chipboard with sandpaper so that there are no rough edges.
The main advantage of a hacksaw is its availability and ease of use, but at the same time it does not perform the function we need to prevent chips, so we do not recommend using it.
Than categorically it is impossible to saw chipboard
Before moving on to the tools that you can use, you need to mark the one that is better not to use, especially since there is only one. And this is an angle grinder, or, as it is also called, an angle grinder.
It is not used for cutting, firstly, because in the process of use, chips will definitely appear on the finished parts, no matter how hard you try. And secondly, because when working with an angle grinder, it is easy to get hurt. over, furniture blanks from laminated chipboard can be obtained using much safer tools.
How to cut plywood without chips?
Plywood is several layers of wood veneer, bonded to one another with an adhesive. If you do not follow the technology of cutting such material, then the teeth of the cutting blade will tear off pieces of the upper layer. Flaws, called chips, are obtained.
You can cut plywood with any of the following tools:
- hand or electric jigsaw;
- circular saw;
Each of these tools is recommended for use under certain conditions.
How to cut plywood without chipping with a jigsaw?
There are several factors to consider when working with such a layered material. Including this:
- selection of tools with fine teeth and the minimum amount of their setting;
- feeding the cutting blade at low speed and at right angles to the plane of the processed sheet;
- sawing across the veneer grain.
The problem of how to cut plywood without chips with a jigsaw has been partially solved by the tool manufacturer Bosch. They have a line of special “clean” canvases CleanWood.
Feature of such products:
- small size of teeth;
- lack of their pronounced focus;
- their minimal wiring.
If it is problematic to purchase CleanWood, then you need to use a blade for cutting metal.
When cutting material with an electric jigsaw, it is not recommended to work by weight, but only on a special workbench table. Otherwise, skew is inevitable and the cutting blade may break.
How to cut plywood without chipping with a hacksaw?
For this, the material must be securely attached to the workbench. It is also recommended to process the place of the future cut along the entire length:
- with PVA glue, using a brush 1–2 cm wide (sawing can be started after it is completely dry);
- with a sharp knife, making two parallel grooves.
To speed up the process, PVA can be replaced with a sticker of electrical tape or masking tape.
When choosing the option “two grooves”, they are applied with a sharp knife, under a metal ruler, in three steps. The cut is made between parallel lines to prevent chipping. The load of the hacksaw blade must fall on the plane of the plywood sheet.
How to cut plywood without chipping with a circular saw?
It is recommended to cut on a flat floor. A sheet of plywood is laid on wooden blocks of equal thickness, placed perpendicular to the cutting line of the cut. Full support from below ensures that no corner of the sheet breaks off at the end of the cut. A metal or wooden guide is installed on top, which is fixedly fixed with clamps.
In order to cut the laminated plywood accurately and without chips, you need:
- Setting the minimum cutting depth. On the opposite side of the sheet, the teeth should protrude 2-3 mm. With this setting of the cutting depth, the blade does not cut, but neatly cuts the wood.
- Choosing the right circular saw. For a gentle cut, a blade with a minimum size and a large number of teeth is selected (for example, No. 140).
- Low feed speed of the cutting blade when moving without stopping. In this case, the teeth do not chop, but gently cut the wood without chipping. In order to properly cut the film faced plywood, it is also recommended to set the blade speed to maximum. Disadvantage of the method: the carpenter runs the risk of overheating the canvas.
- Placement of adhesive tape in place of the cut. For this, it is recommended to use masking tape that does not leave marks on the surface of the sheet. At the end of the work, the tape is removed at an angle of 90 ° by moving towards the cut.
If laminated plywood is to be processed, it is recommended to also tape the sole of the circular saw with tape. This avoids scratches on the face of the sheet.
The better to cut plywood with a thickness of 9 mm?
Both an electric jigsaw and a circular saw are suitable for cutting such material. The first option is indispensable in the case of a curly cut path.
To cut thick plywood without chipping with an electric jigsaw, it is recommended to use any of two types of blades:
- clean series CleanWood (Bosch);
- for metal.
A conventional circular saw is also suitable for smooth cutting of plywood. It is enough to install a blade with a fine tooth (for example, No. 140), adjust the cutting depth within 12-13 mm and lay the sheet on even wooden blocks. Cutting is recommended to be done along the guide, with a low feed rate of the tool and without interruptions.
If the front surface of the sheet is laminated, then the place of the cut is pre-pasted with masking tape.
Anyone who doubts which saw is better to cut plywood, we recommend contacting a specialized company with laser cutting and professional equipment for cutting.
How to smoothly saw off chipboard without chips and lint?
Today we will tell you what affects the quality of sawing, how to cut the chipboard smoothly and cleanly, and also how you can cut with a rail and without a guide with a conventional circular saw.
We will show using the example of a hand-held circular saw, but this does not affect the sawing techniques, the difference is only in minor details. You can get a similar quality of cut on a cheaper tool if you follow our advice.
What to do if you don’t have a hand-held circular saw and guide?
You need to make the guide yourself. We find an ordinary profile, you can take the rule, any even rail, the main thing is that its geometry is even.
We measure the distance from the saw blade to the edge of your chipboard workpiece. We attach the guide to the workpiece with any clamp and start cutting.
The main thing in the process is to constantly press the saw against the guide. That is, your hand should always guide the saw towards the homemade tire.
After cutting, you will get an almost perfect cut, the cutting line is barely visible. We made a very high quality cut, the cut itself is clean, no side marks are visible on it. Except for a small amount of lint on the back of the workpiece.
Where did this pile come from, because we worked with a guide (tire)?
There is a special plastic protective tape on the purchased cutting bar. This tape prevents the pile from rising and the saw cuts it. In this case, we did not have this tape, so we got this pile on the surface.
What to do with the pile in this case?
There are two options:
Take ordinary masking tape. It is glued to the place where it was cut, marking is made on it and sawn together with masking tape. The scotch tape keeps the growth in place and when we cut it, we get everything clean.
Simply drive the saw blade itself more slowly. That is, if you do the same with a slower feed, then there will be much less chips.
What affects the quality of sawing chipboard?
In this case, we will cut chipboard, this is the most capricious material for sawing, because it has longitudinal and transverse layers, a rather delicate and thin veneer. But on the other hand, it has a tough glue base, which will also interfere with us.
Reception 1. Cut along the guide
We install a guide (tire) on the workpiece, set the cutting depth and perform the cut. As you can see for yourself, even on the outside of our chipboard blank there are no chips, no explosions. The cut itself is even without signs of scoring or side waves. Why such difference?
What is the merit of the guide?
When we saw with a disc, we inevitably wiggle the saw, the so-called “iron movement” is obtained. That is, when we move our hand, we all the time move the saw to the right, to the left. The guide, which has a rigid edging, avoids this.
Accordingly, when we guide the saw along the guide, it does not move and the saw blade itself works smoothly, without changing its position. It turns out a perfect line parallel to the guide.
Cutting Melamine Wood using a Circular Saw
Saw blade. How to choose it?
When cutting chipboard, the saw blade must simultaneously cut cleanly and be resistant, because the glue in its properties is very close to glass and quickly blunts the tool itself. Therefore, in the process of cutting chipboard, you need to choose sufficiently good discs to cut them without losing quality for a long time.
What is the difficulty of sawing with a circular saw with discs?
If we look at the cut of the workpiece, we will see that it is full of seizures, because it is practically impossible to keep the saw straight in the cut by hand.
On the saw blade there is a difference in height between the body of the saw itself and the sawing part. the tooth. Due to this distance, the disc is able to guide its position in the cut. Accordingly, as soon as it changes its geometry, the rear teeth begin to press on the chipboard workpiece and leave traces on it.
It is important to have the workpiece face down. Why?
The disc rotates from the bottom up, it cuts the pile of the workpiece up to the base. Thus, below, on the front side, we always have a clean surface. Problems begin to form at the top, where the teeth come out of the workpiece. This is how explosions, chips, pile are obtained.
How can they be minimized, or avoided altogether? There are several simple tricks and we will tell you about them now.
Reception 2. “Reverse cut”.
The first pass is performed in an unusual manner. in reverse. That is, the circular saw rotates in the direction of feeding the workpiece. We set the minimum cutting depth, turn on the saw and move not forward, but backward.
If you have a regular saw, then simply fix the saw with a minimum overhang. The point of the first pass is that the blade, moving along the guide, only clings to our workpiece. We need a small groove on the chipboard.
Having made the first. undercutting cut, you will make sure that there are no chips at such a feed (backward). Perfect surface!
Now we will set the saw to full depth and cut the workpiece along this groove with a regular cut. forward feed. We will have two cuts per piece. No gouging waves, arson, nothing. perfect quality!
Of course, the best option. use a special formatting machine. With it, you can get any cut. But for private needs such a tool cannot be bought, and at a manufacturing enterprise that provides sawing services, such a procedure will cost good money. A cheaper way is a circular saw. There are even special saws for chipboard. But they will also require the use of special tools. However, many in the arsenal should have a milling machine that will correct a rough cut with a milling cutter. If you have experience with such a machine, it will not be difficult to obtain a satisfactory cut appearance.
You can cut chipboard with a jigsaw, but this will be a rough cut. The edges may not turn out straight, but sinusoidal, and in the worst case, the edge will come out non-perpendicular to the front surface.
Sawing chipboard at home using a jigsaw, reduces the formation of chips. When cutting, it is necessary to increase the speed and reduce the feed, setting the pumping to 0. Only sharp saws should be used, intended for special cutting of chipboard. Only by observing these rules can you achieve a good result. After cutting, the butt, which will be in sight, can be earned with sandpaper. Additionally, before cutting, as already mentioned, you need to cut through the line along which the sawing will take place. But we do not cut the file along this mowing line, but near it. then the chips will not touch the limits you want. In the end, all that remains is to finish the edges with sandpaper.
Offsets from the contour can be up to 4 mm. Then these few millimeters are removed with a cylindrical cutter using a hand-held electric milling cutter with a bearing. The bearing is guided along a long level fixed on the back of the sheet.
In order to avoid problems with chips, it is recommended to use (where possible) a flexible invoice P-profile. It covers chips well.
In addition, if the chips are in a non-working, hardly visible area, they can be masked with a marker or felt-tip pen matched to their color.
The most undesirable way to cut chipboard. file (oddly enough, in old textbooks a lot of material is devoted to this method). You can use a plane, but preferably electric and with carbide knives. But here it must be borne in mind that dust from under the plane will scatter throughout the room.
And the most comfortable way is with a hand-held router along the guide. The end should be flat and under 90 grams, there will be no chips, and when the vacuum cleaner is turned on, there will be almost no dust.
Sawing chipboard at home
As practice shows, it is very difficult to make a high-quality sawing of chipboard with a durable melamine coating. Rough instruments often jagged the cuts. You cannot assemble a neat door or shelf with such defects. Cutting chipboard at home, as a rule, occurs during repair work or furniture manufacturing.
How to cut a chipboard without chipping and chipping?
Craftsmen recommend using a hacksaw for such cutting. If you have a saw with a fine tooth, then the procedure is as follows:
1) Outline the cutting line with a knife. Sharpen the saw before starting work. The knife should be guided with slight pressure so that the laminated top layer is notched.
2) Glue a tape with a sticky base along the planned mowing line. It will help keep the decorative layer from cracking. You can also use paper tape.
3) The tool should be held at a very sharp angle. In this case, the angle should not be higher than 30 degrees. this will reduce the likelihood of chips. While cutting, lightly apply pressure to the saw. If the work is performed with a power tool, such as a jigsaw, then you do not need to rush and press on it.
4) After the end of sawing, the cut can be cleaned with a file. But in many cases this is not required, since the small saw teeth prevent the laminate from deforming. If torn edges are formed, then delicate rasping will bring the cut into its proper form. The sanding tool should be guided towards the center from the edge to minimize possible damage to the top layer.
5) A glued veneer strip will add the final beauty to the cut.
Of course, cutting chipboard at home does not imply professional quality and high speed of work. For those who are in a hurry, you can offer sawing chipboard angle grinder. A wood disc is used as a cutting element. A bar is attached to the chipboard on clamps so that the angle grinder is guided along it for an even cut. After cutting, possible chips are processed with the same angle grinder, only with a different nozzle. for grinding. But a more gentle option is to use sandpaper.
Sawing with a panel saw
The most suitable tool for cutting boards and pressed materials of various thicknesses. Cuts are accurate, multiple parts can be stamped.
Professional machines are used for industrial purposes.
They have a small size and weight (up to 20 kg), easy to install. If necessary, the machine can be removed and moved to another location. The tool is suitable for ripping to a depth of 8 cm.Also, in the home workshop, you can saw the tabletop with a circular saw with an extended table.
Household machines are usually used at home.
They are more convenient than household ones, since they allow you to cut not only along the longitudinal, but also along the transverse lines. The maximum cutting depth is 9 cm.When working, you need to apply accurate markings and observe safety precautions.
Basic rules for cutting plywood or chipboard
The most suitable tools would be circular or band saws.
There are many cutting tools available, and not just one, but several will be used.
To get a clean cut, you need to follow the rules:
- fine-toothed saws are suitable for work;
- first of all, the material is sawn across the fibers, then along. This method will save you from splitting corners;
- from the front side, the material is sawn with a hand or band saw;
- from the seamy side. saw with a contour or disk tool;
- when working with a circular saw, it is necessary to monitor the high speed and low feed rate of the material;
- saw blade teeth should penetrate shallowly into the surface;
- so that fewer creases appear on the board, you need to guide the saw along the mowing line of the cut, with light pressure and insignificant recoil;
- adhesive tape attached to the mowing line of the cut will protect the material from chipping.
In practice, two professional interchangeable tools are used. a jigsaw and a jigsaw.
In a home workshop, you can achieve an even cut. But it is better to entrust work with dimensional sheet materials to professionals with specialized equipment.
How to cut with a circular saw
The tool can make long cuts, however, more chips are formed during operation (compared to cutting with a jigsaw). You will need a fine-toothed saw blade.
Work with electrical appliances carefully.
As a rule, the side from which the teeth cut in remains clean, while chips appear on the opposite side.
Start cutting from the front edge (front) to avoid chipping on this part.
It is more convenient to work with a saw fixed on the table. Thus, the tool is not occupied and the guide can be used. This will increase the accuracy of the cut, allow you to make several parts.
Handle your tools correctly.
Chips that form after cutting can be processed with a file and sandpaper.
How to cut a countertop without chipping using a hacksaw
A regular hacksaw is fine for cutting through a countertop. However, when working, you need to take into account that you need to leave a margin of at least 100 mm. The tool must be fine-toothed. Better if it is a hacksaw for metal.
With a hacksaw for metal, you can saw off the countertop.
Attention! Teeth must be hardened and set 1/2 of the material thickness.
For work, you need paper duct tape, a rough cut file and fine sandpaper.
Take a few measurements to cut straight.
How to properly cut a tabletop with a hacksaw:
- mark the cutting line with a sharp tool;
- stick paper adhesive tape along the markings to protect the top decorative layer;
- direct the movements of the hacksaw at an acute angle to the surface of the sheet (no more than 30 degrees);
- cut smoothly, with medium pressure.
All irregularities can be hidden with sandpaper.
If chips appear, they need to be filed, moving from the edges to the center. Sand the remaining minor defects with fine-grained emery paper.
Can I cut with a jigsaw
The tool is suitable for making small cuts. You will need a tool for working with metal, with fine teeth. The incision is applied on the front side: so fewer chips will remain on it, and there will be slight irregularities on the seamy side.
When working with a jigsaw, the cut is made from the back side due to the direction of the teeth on the saw.
When working, the instrument is built not at maximum speed, but slightly above average. It is necessary to move the tool in smooth movements, with light pressure.
Important! The method is not suitable for cutting long materials, as it is difficult to maintain a straight cut line.
Sawing with a milling cutter
A great way to get a clean cut. First, the material is sawn with a jigsaw with a distance of 2-3 mm from the mowing line of the marking. Then the line is aligned with a cutter according to a previously prepared template. A cutter with a bearing is suitable for work.
When cutting a simple chipboard, complications can not arise, but with chipboard everything is much more complicated.
In this way, you can make not only straight, but also curved cuts, make radius parts.
We select the saw blade with the largest number of teeth to ensure an even cut.
Among the disadvantages of the method: it is necessary to apply accurate markings, file the blanks in advance and set the template under the router. That is, it is inconvenient to cut off several identical parts with a tool.
How and how to saw off a countertop without chips
It is generally accepted that without professional equipment it is impossible to cut sheet materials evenly. However, there are several ways to do this on your own.
Having a non-standard kitchen layout, many of us are faced with the problem of how to properly saw the countertop.
We tell you how to cut a countertop without chips using household tools.
- Basic rules for cutting plywood or chipboard
- How to cut a countertop without chipping using a hacksaw
- Can I cut with a jigsaw
- How to cut with a circular saw
- Sawing with a milling cutter
- Sawing with a panel saw
- Undercut sawing method
- What can not be sawed
- sawing the countertop without chips
Undercut sawing method
This method also involves the use of a circular saw, but a plunge-cut is more suitable.
You will need a double ruler: it is fixed with clamps to the workpiece. The principle of operation is the same as that of the panel saw: two cuts are made on one mowing line.
This is what the bus bar is used for. It is installed along the mowing line of the marking, the laminate is slightly cut without disturbing its texture. Then the material is cut along the marked trail.
By the way! Due to the notch in the laminate, no chips are formed during the second deep cut.
This method can be used to saw a worktop into one or more parts. Minimal chips are possible, but they can be easily removed with ordinary sanding or hidden with a decorative overlay.
You can also mask round slices.
Disadvantage: this method can only be used for straight cut.