How To Cut Grass With A Disc Trimmer
Safety when working with a grass trimmer. How to properly mow lawns, slopes, tall grass with a trimmer. We clean and store petrol and
If the site is large and level, and the grass is soft enough, then it is more convenient to mow along imaginary squares, mentally breaking the entire area into them. Having previously mowed the grass along the perimeter of the first, they continue to work along a tapering square spiral clockwise until the site is completely mowed. Then proceed to the next square. With this method, the cut grass always remains on the treated surface on the left side. In order to mow vegetation to the very root, it is necessary to keep the cutting plane at an angle of 30 °, with the tip of the fishing line almost touching the ground.
Of course, it is better to mow flat lawns with a trolley lawnmower, which allows you to make a smoother cut and collects the cut grass in a special grass catcher. The choice of such a lawn mower is described in this article.
Preparing the trimmer for work
Preparing the trimmer for work begins with checking the condition of all parts and assembly according to the instructions. In doing so, you need to make sure that the gearbox is lubricated and that there is enough oil in the crankcase of the four-stroke petrol trimmer. The fuel, depending on the type of engine, two- or four-stroke, is a mixture of gasoline with a special oil in a ratio of 40-50: 1 or, respectively, pure gasoline. After the fuel tank is full, all that remains is to open the tap and you can try to start the trimmer, remembering that before you start mowing you need it to idle for 2-3 minutes.
With an electric cordless tool, everything is simple. After checking the presence of lubricant, it is enough to insert a charged battery into the corresponding slot so that it is ready for use. If the tool is powered from the mains, then an extension cord will be required to the intended place of cutting. The wire must be located outside the range of possible action of the trimmer knives.
The site should be free of foreign objects as much as possible: glass, stones, wire, snags, etc. The presence of people closer than 15 meters is also undesirable. Depending on the capabilities of the particular trimmer and the work to be done, the appropriate cutting attachment must be selected. You can use a mowing head with a grass line, metal knives for weeds or hay, or a bush saw. The mowing should be planned in such a way as to move away from buildings and people.
Trees and shrubs
On an area where there are many such obstacles, the trimmer is simply irreplaceable, since mowing the grass with an ordinary scythe is not enough scope, and the lawn mower is too large. For this, a fishing line is best suited. Before starting to process the site, it is required to mow each tree or bush from all sides. In order not to damage them, you need to hold the trimmer with the protective cover almost close to them, slightly tilting the head to the ground and bypassing from left to right.
In this case, it is more convenient to mow in both directions. The first pass is from left to right, cutting off the tops of the grass, and then, lowering the tool to the desired level, the lower part is cut in the opposite direction. The cut grass also remains on the treated surface on the left side. If the thickets of weeds are too high, then in order to reduce the likelihood of winding the grass on the drum, you have to mow several times from top to bottom, but this is fraught with increased line consumption.
It is convenient to cut flower beds, lawns and paths along the edges with an electric trimmer with a lower engine, since its cutting plane can be placed vertically. For an even greater effect on the cutting line, it is useful to dig a groove of about 4×4 cm. Then the line will cut the grass below ground level without touching its surface. The result is a very clean, blemish-free vertical haircut.
Working in wet weather
If there is a need to mow with a trimmer in any weather, then it definitely must be gasoline, since it tolerates wet weather well. Although, according to the instructions, work in the rain or on wet grass is also prohibited by some manufacturers of such gasoline equipment. When choosing a trimmer, this is also worth paying attention to.
The electric motor is the most vulnerable place to moisture with cordless trimmers. Accordingly, if it is located on top, then there is less chance of moisture getting there from the grass, but in rainy weather they cannot work either.
Typically, water from wet grass enters the connectors of the extension cord, where an electric arc can occur that can ignite the insulating plastic or cause a short circuit. Such a defect is “corrected” by purchasing a new extension cord or replacing the plug, but moisture ingress on the engine or control circuit leads to irreversible failure of the trimmer. In addition, it is simply dangerous to work with such a tool in the rain, since there is a high probability of electric shock.
Here are some tips for cutting tall grass:
- Try not to overload the mechanism during the bevelling process.
- If tall grass gets tangled on the line, turn off the mechanism immediately so that the motor does not burn out.
- If your trimmer runs on gasoline, cutting wet grass is strictly prohibited.
How to properly mow with a line trimmer
Mowing with a line mower is much safer than a trimmer equipped with a cord, but this is not always optimal and profitable. The cutting main element (mechanism) must be selected based on the garden area and the height of the weed.
- Previously, we looked at how to mow with a line lawnmower in automatic or semi-automatic mode and manual. In automatic mode, the main cutting element (line) is thrown out after each start of the device motor. On the one hand, it is very convenient, but on the other hand, it is not very economical, for example, your garden plot is of a non-standard shape. There are uneven corners, notches, and with each next transition from place to place, you need to turn off the device and then turn it on again. In this case, it is best to use the second, semi-automatic option. This is when the line is fed in the trimmer by pressing a special button located at the very bottom of the drum (in the cutting area). You just need to press the tip to the ground and the line will be thrown out.
If you are an operator, you should understand that the length of the ends of the cutting element (line), which is located on the drum in an extended (working) state, should not exceed 15 cm. This length should be sufficient for the average power of the grass trimmers.
What you need to do to properly, easily and quickly mow the grass with a trimmer with a line in order for the device itself to serve you much longer than usual.
- Try to keep the main drum (spool) at least 5 cm off the ground.
- When mowing taller grass, mow the top first, and then get close to the stalks to protect your device from damage and prevent mower failure.
- In the process of mowing grass, it is imperative to introduce the cutting element (trimmer) in which the reel rotates in the direction.
- It is best to mow the lawn grass, which is located near the walls of the garden area as a decoration, using only the edges of the line so as not to overload the engine and not wear it out too much.
- Every 15-20 minutes worked, let the device “rest”.
How to cut tall grass with a line trimmer
It is advisable to cut tall grass in your garden with a powerful trimmer using thick fishing line. But many, most likely, will agree that in most cases, where the weeds are located, the ground will certainly be uneven, as a result of which the owners of such garden plots have different debris and all kinds of stones. To prevent your expensive device (trimmer) from breaking down the mow of tall grass, it is best and faster to mow in two passes. Those. The first step is to cut the entire top of the grass, identify the more difficult mowing areas and run the mower a second time.
When you are going to harvest the grass (using a trimmer) for hay, and you are more or less versed in the area of your plot, then you can predict the course of the grass mowing in advance. This will be faster, more convenient and easier for you. The main thing in such a situation is not to rush to mow, but to approach business competently with a “cool head”.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer
Any owner of a country house or suburban area knows that in summer and spring time it is necessary to constantly look after the lawn, otherwise it will lose its external, attractive appearance. Therefore, many dacha owners are wondering how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. And before you start learning how to mow, you need to choose the right tool for the site and only then use it correctly on the lawn.
- Controlling the trimmer, as it may seem to many, is not an easy task, but also nothing special (there is nothing complicated in it) if you properly follow the safety measures and know how to operate it correctly, rather than a garden tool, the cutter of which is a metal disc.
We carry out the correct mowing in both cases
The device should move correctly in front of you and strictly from right to left, because the grass you mowed will surely fall onto an already mown area, which will give you the opportunity to initially mow the tops of the grass. Then you carry out a reverse motion, due to which you will remove any remaining branches of the grass.
- When working with large areas of the lawn, it is best to divide the work into several stages, visually dividing the territory into squares. In the process of mowing the grass, you should move along the outside, which will make it possible once again not to trample the grass at the same time, without complicating the mowing procedure for yourself. To make it easier to work, it is best to move from below, walking parallel to the already treated area, and then come back.
With this approach, you can easily use the line trimmer to mow the grass around the trees planted on the site, carefully bypassing them, and at the same time not loading the devices. By mowing the grass in the way we recommend above, you can reduce the likelihood of the grass scattering to the sides, making it faster and easier to cut.
Preparing the trimmer for work
Depending on what kind of trimmer you have, you still need to prepare it before starting work. If the trimmer is electric, we need to charge it, or turn it on to the 220 Volt network and start working like that. If you are using the grass trimmer with gasoline fuel, fill the tank. Prepare and check the cutting element, depending on the design. It won’t be superfluous to check the safety of the trimmer. When working with the device, it must be hung on the body and hold onto the handles correctly. Use protective goggles or a special mesh (protective) helmet during beveling.
Features of the trimmer with line and cord
A trimmer is a more delicate machine than a full-fledged electric or petrol cutter. And the line trimmer is an even more delicate device. Cord. Essentially wire. Can damage the bottom of the trunk in young trees, passing into the root, which is not the case with the line. With thick weed stalks. For example, weeds that have begun tillering. The line may not have time to cut all the weeds.
Despite the obvious convenience, on uneven and irregular areas, by cutting the grass in one place and moving to another, you restart the motor. Exit. Transition to semi-automatic control: the trimmer in the working part has a separate button that is easily pressed when the drum head touches the ground. The line will immediately be thrown out of the cutting end.
The length of the line should not be more than 15 cm in working order. Longer line will get tangled, smaller line will not cut effectively. The optimum line diameter is 2–3 mm.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer?
- Features of the trimmer with line and cord
- Preparing the electric trimmer
- Preparing the petrol trimmer for work
- Correct mowing of young grass
- Mowing tall grass using line
Mowing your lawn is the main way to keep your lawn area tidy. Not wanting to mow with an ordinary scythe by hand, the modern owner acquires a mechanical scythe or a trimmer. If the choice fell on a trimmer, the question arises of how to carefully mow the grass with it so as not to damage trees and shrubs (if any).
Preparing the electric trimmer
If it is raining or has just stopped raining, you may get an electric shock when cutting wet grass. Before using for the first time, make sure you have assembled the device correctly. Some models are shipped disassembled. Precise assembly will protect you from injury, and the unit itself from failures and sudden breakdowns. Assembly instructions for the trimmer are described in the owner’s manual.
When using an electric trimmer charge the battery (if the device provides autonomous operation). Lubricate the mechanical gearbox with lithol or grease. If the battery is not in the device diagram – connect the plug to the socket and start working.
Preparing the petrol trimmer for work
Pour gasoline (or diesel fuel) into the tank without overfilling it. Two-stroke trim motors require mixing gasoline with engine oil (not car oil) in a ratio of 1: 32-1: 50. You need to know which oil in what proportion is mixed with gasoline for your model. In four-stroke trimmers, you will need to put oil and gasoline in separate tanks. Again, according to the instructions.
Grasp the handle of the device as directed in the instructions. Some trimmers have a double handlebar-like handle. Now follow these steps:
- Close the air damper;
- Turn on the ignition circuit using the key or button;
- If there is a booster mini-pump on the carburetor, pump a little fuel into the engine by pressing the “rocker” lever 3-5 times;
- Pull the starting cord until there is significant resistance to its movement;
- Pull the cord sharply up to 5 times.
The engine will start. When mowing the grass, use protective goggles or a helmet with a mesh to prevent the grass from spreading towards the face.
Correct mowing of young grass
To ensure that the device works with maximum efficiency and lasts several times longer than the warranty period, mow the grass correctly, observing the following guidelines.
- Do not lower the coil (drum) of the device under the very roots of the weed. The distance to the ground is at least 5 cm.
- When mowing taller grass, cut the top first. Cutting the grass close to the root without removing the top of the stems will entangle the line and stop the drum until it is forced off.
- Do not mow against the direction of the drum.
- Mow decorative grass near walls or a fence without moving the trimmer drum too far. This will save the motor from overloading.
- After every 15 minutes of electric trimmer operation, allow the engine to cool down. It takes at least 20 minutes.
But petrol trimmers have a large time reserve. 50 minutes for work and 20 minutes for a break.
Mowing tall grass using line
For thick stems of grass (weeds), use a more powerful trimmer with thick line. However, in areas where large weeds grow, the soil is often uneven. If it gets caught in clods of dirt, the trimmer motor will brake abruptly. Overuse of this can damage your engine easily. By mowing the top tier, you will see where the grass reaches its greatest length. In deeper places. Focusing on such “height differences”, you will equalize the “mowing” of the lawn, bringing its view closer to the ideal.
The cut grass is suitable for both hay and lawn fertilization. This makes it easier to plan the mowing motion and the process will go faster.
Tips for mowing tall grass are as follows.
- The engine must not be overloaded.
- Turn off the engine immediately if the line gets tangled on uneven ground or tall grass.
- When using gasoline or diesel as an energy carrier, it is impossible to mow wet grass.
- You need to move the trimmer directly in front of you and to the left, since the cut grass falls on the previously treated sector. Thus, the upper layer of the grass stand is cut off. The layers below it are mowed down when you have already gone in the opposite direction.
- If the area to be cultivated is very large. Mow one conditional area after another, into which you divided the area before work.
- Move exactly along the outside so as not to trample the cut grass, making your result inconspicuous.
- The mowing lines must be parallel to each other. This will allow you to easily bypass the trees encountered on the site, while overloading the motor is excluded.
If you follow these recommendations, the grass will not scatter to the sides during work, and the process itself will be simplified and accelerated at times.
How to properly mow the grass with the trimmer, see below.
How to properly operate an electric grass trimmer
When choosing equipment for a summer cottage, it is not always worth chasing powerful and dimensional devices. The power of the tool is undoubtedly an important parameter, but it obviously carries with it the increased weight of the device, its large size, as well as the high price and increased fuel costs. But that’s not the point.
If you have a small garden with densely planted fruit trees or a small lawn with flower beds and shrubs, then clearing it of weeds and carefully mowing the grass is clearly an overwhelming task for any lawn mower. In such cases, even a hand tool, an ordinary scythe, will not help: you simply cannot swing it, bumping into tree trunks.
The ideal solution in this case is a good and inexpensive electric trimmer. It is so light, comfortable and easy to operate that it always becomes a favorite of women and the elderly. A lightweight, quietly whirring electric motor, a handle with comfortable grips and a nylon line tucked into a spool are the main components of an electric trimmer.
How to use the trimmer correctly
The household trimmer is the easiest to use and at the same time very effective tool. It seems that there is nowhere easier. To plug in the tool and work. But still, there are some nuances that you need to know in order for the trimmer to work for a long time and efficiently.
1. Site preparation. It is necessary to carefully inspect the mowing area and remove all foreign objects. Stones, glass, wire, etc. Having flown out suddenly from under the fishing line during operation, such an object is capable of causing injury.
2. Installation of the cutting system. There are low-power trimmers that can only work with a line, cutting soft and succulent grass. They do not need to install a cutting system. But some trimmer models with a motor of 1 kW or more can work with a knife. If there are tough weeds or even a small overgrowth of bushes on the site, you need to unscrew the working attachment nut and install the cutting knife. Then tighten the nut tightly with a wrench.
3. Before starting work. It is very important to wear protective goggles when working with the trimmer, because even if you have removed the area from debris, plant stems and grass can fly into your eyes. The same stems, grass and branches can injure hands, so it is advisable to wear gloves. We simply plug in the electric trimmer, but the battery trimmer needs to be charged for several hours before use. Then, if there is a shoulder attachment, we hang it on the shoulder, the knapsack. On both shoulders. We conveniently grasp the trimmer by the handles: grasp the D-shaped handle tightly with your palm, and grip the garden trimmer with a bicycle handle (U-shaped) firmly with both hands. The trimmer should be held over the grass so that the line spool or knife is parallel to the ground. We turn on the start.
4. How to mow correctly. The cutting mechanism rotates counterclockwise. Thus, in order for the cut grass to fall onto the already mown area, easily, with simple movements, we carry the trimmer in front of us, from right to left. To remove the remnants of the grass, you should make a movement in the other direction. From left to right. If the area is flat and large, break it into imaginary squares and mow, moving along the outside of such a square. If the plot is on a slope, then you need to start mowing from the bottom of the lawn, passing across the plot. In one direction. Having reached the edge, you need to go back and mow in the same direction, parallel. If there are many trees in the area, only cut with fishing line, otherwise you may cut the tree trunk with a knife. In such a garden, it is best to mow around the perimeter, bypassing the tree in a circle.
Five. Completion of work. Turn off the engine and remove the shoulder straps. It is not yet complete completion. It is necessary to carefully clean the spool and knife from the remains of grass. Then fold the trimmer, if telescopic or collapsible, and hide it until the next mow.
Electric trimmer efficiency
Electric kos, which operates from a household electrical network, is relevant on a plot of four to six acres planted with trees, flowers, shrubs. It is convenient for it to carefully mow grass near the house or along the curb, mow paths, and an environmentally friendly motor that does not produce exhaust, gas and fumes will even make it possible to remove weeds in any indoor room. Greenhouse or greenhouse.
The trimmer cable limits the cutting radius, but can be extended with a standard extension. If this length is not enough for you, or the parameters of the electrical network do not contribute to the normal operation of the electric motor, then you can purchase a type of electric tool. A cordless trimmer. It works autonomously, the built-in battery lasts for half an hour or an hour of intensive work. Quite enough to mow the trees in the garden. The trimmer motor can be positioned at the top of the tool or at the bottom. Upper motor trimmers work well on bumpy and uneven terrain. They are also perfectly balanced and can handle tall and wet grass. No short circuits. The convenience of working with it is also increased by a single-shoulder loop, which is hung on the shoulder. The lower motor trimmer should only be used on dry grass and on level areas. Often it is the lower motor trimmers that run on a rechargeable battery.
The line also has its secrets
The line is wound on a spool inside the spool, with the ends exposed outward. When mowing, the spool rotates, and the line, with this rotation, cuts the grass. To release the tips, you need to lightly hit the coil on the ground (semi-automatic system), there are automatic reels, in which the fishing line is released itself. There are also several rules when working with fishing line:
In order not to damage the line and reel. Try not to touch the spool and fishing line with various hard materials. Tracks, curbs, fences. This will shorten the line prematurely, damage the reel or even jam the engine. The line spool should also not touch the ground.
Cut with the ends is more effective. Mowing the full length of the line can overload the engine. It also reduces the mowing efficiency. The tool should be held so that it only mows with the tips of the line. To do this, tilt it forward towards the mowing side.
Tall grass requires several mows. If the grass is taller than 20 centimeters, then one mowing will not do here. You need to mow two or three times, from top to bottom. This is to prevent the grass from wrapping around the reel. The wrapped grass is the ensured engine overheating. If the grass is still wrapped, you need to stop the tool and clean it.
The line ran away and hid in the reel. This option happens when you work if you did not release the line from the reel in time. After all, the line is erased and shortened during mowing. If you do not have time to release it, then stop the engine, unplug the tool, and then disassemble the spool and pass the ends of the line into the desired holes.
What determines line consumption? Remember that the line wears out faster if the grass is tough. Therefore, you need to release it more often when mowing weeds and dry tough grass. Around the foundation of the house, near the wall and the curb, the line consumption will also be greater than directly on the lawn or near the trees. It is worth considering: if you work carefully and accurately, then the consumption of the trimmer line will be optimal and economical.