How To Cut Grass With A Line Trimmer
How to mow with a trimmer
The trimmer should fit well in your hand. Many people prefer a fairly lightweight tool that can work on weight. Otherwise, it should be well balanced, on a comfortable strap or knapsack harness, as it will not work properly with the trimmer without this. A very handy tool with a bicycle handle allows you to easily hold the mowing head at approximately constant height while mowing and the tip of the cutting tool at the desired distance from the ground. In order for the line to serve longer, it is undesirable to bring it close to fences, curbs, brickwork and other solid objects. In addition, the head should not touch the ground unnecessarily.
How to choose a trimmer for a summer cottage? Which is better: gasoline or electric? Find out here.
The slope is also processed according to the principle of mowed grass to the left, choosing a direction so that its top is on the right. Having reached the end of the section, they return to the starting point, rise higher by the width of the stroke and mow the next strip.
We start with safety
Of the protective devices, the glasses and gloves recommended by the instructions do not interfere at all, but the most important is the protection of the legs. The cutting tool, especially when mowing with a gasoline trimmer with metal knives, rotating at huge speeds, picks up debris, pebbles and cuttings of vegetation, scattering at such a speed that they can injure a person. Therefore, it is advisable to work in trousers and closed shoes or boots.
What happens if you don’t protect your legs
As far as ear protection is concerned, only the loudest two-stroke petrol trimmer has a tangible need for it. They are usually equipped with special headband headphones to reduce the sound pressure on the eardrum.
Grass trimmer: why and how to use it correctly
Working with a trimmer is quite simpler than an ordinary scythe. But everywhere there is its own specificity, therefore, before mastering a new technique, you should do what many leave for later to carefully read the instructions. This is already enough to roughly understand how to use the trimmer, fill it with fuel, figure out how to charge its battery or connect it to the mains.
If the site is large and even, and the grass is soft enough, then it is more convenient to mow along imaginary squares, mentally breaking the entire area into them. Having previously mowed the grass along the perimeter of the first, they continue to work along a tapering square spiral clockwise until the site is completely mowed. Then proceed to the next square. With this method, the cut grass always remains on the treated surface on the left side. In order to mow vegetation to the very root, it is necessary to keep the cutting plane at an angle of 30, with the tip of the fishing line almost touching the ground.
Of course, flat lawns are best mowed with a trolley lawnmower, which allows you to make a smoother cut and collects the cut grass in a special grass catcher. The choice of such a lawn mower is described in this article.
It seems like cutting the grass evenly should be easy, just swipe the trimmer over the grass and the line will cut it to the correct length. But this is not the best approach and will actually lead to bald spots on the lawn. Relying on knowledge is essential to turn a naughty tool into a reliable machine.
- The ends of the string are where the maximum cutting force is concentrated. over, the faster and freer the movements are, the easier the process will go. Tapering. It gives the lawn a beautiful look, the technique works especially effectively along the side of the road, near a fence or trees. Hold the instrument so that the string hits the grass at a slight angle.
- Framing. Where the surfaces are practically parallel, say between a walkway and a roadway, you want to emphasize the edge. Therefore, we turn the trimmer so that the string is vertical. Then drag the tool along the cut path.
- You don’t have to try all the techniques at once. If the lawn has never been mowed, then first you need to free it from debris, then trim the grass to one length, and only then take the edges.
- Cut with a trimmer. If you have to work in tall grass, then you can use this simple technique. This means that the tool must move along the path of the letter U.
- Screed. Another technique that is used to remove grass growing on paths in cracks. Tilt the instrument so that the tips of the strings simply slide over the road surface, then work your way into the base of the weeds, cutting them down to a hard surface. But be careful: tilt the tool too far and you will just break the line. Accept an angle that is too sharp and the line will not cut the grass evenly.
Direction of rotation
Considering further how to properly mow with a trimmer with a fishing line, you should pay attention to specific techniques that will help you achieve the perfect result. Most often, people make the mistake of not paying attention to the direction of rotation. Just like a circular saw throws away sawdust, the trimmer throws away debris. If it rotates counterclockwise, it pushes the waste material from the left side and cuts from the right side.
Therefore, if you are driving on a walkway or along a curb, keep to the right and position the tool head so that it can cut and push the grass to the left. If you go the opposite way, then the debris will start blocking the path of the trimmer.
It is a good idea to make sure you have protective gear before starting work. For the most part, it is safe to operate a grass trimmer, but there is always the possibility that the machine will start throwing out debris. At the very least, wear protective goggles and protective clothing. Long trousers and thick gloves are perfect. Before starting work, it will not be superfluous to inspect the trimmer to make sure it is in good working order.
Types of line trimmers
There are a lot of them today, so everyone can make a choice based on their own needs. Cordless line trimmers are designed for people who want to work regardless of the power source and are the most popular. Examples include:
- Champion TB400 cordless trimmer. It has a telescopic bar, compact size and light weight, only 2.8 kilograms. A limiting bracket is provided to prevent damage to useful plants;
- Gardena PowerCut Li-40/30. A professional tool that can handle even a wet lawn. Additional attention should be paid to the ability to adjust the head to work at an angle in hard-to-reach places.
Gasoline trimmers are more expensive, they need regular refueling, but this pays off due to the high power and the possibility of long-term operation on the site without being tied to a power source:
- Partner B305 CBS. Despite its light weight, it has impressive power. Allows you to tidy up green spaces without affecting them by minimizing emissions. A special grass knife and a TapGo-type trimmer head are used as a cutting tool, working in a semi-automatic mode.
Most modern trimmers can be fitted with an optional line head. There are four types of spin trimming heads:
- Automatic heads automatically feed filament when the throttle reaches a certain speed;
- Semi-automatic heads advance the string when you push the spindle head to the ground when the throttle is engaged;
- The hand heads require you to disengage the trimmer before pulling or unwinding the rope to advance it;
- Fixed line heads do not provide string advancement. Instead, you use pre-trimmed strings for replacement.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer: tips and tricks
Practical garden tools are becoming more and more popular. With the acquisition of a new assistant, inevitable questions about how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. To begin with, it is a great addition to your existing lawnmower. She can be entrusted with large areas, and the finishing work will be done by a trimmer with a fishing line. To clarify, the line is designed for cutting weeds and delicate branches. For coarser work, models equipped with metal blades or a chain are used.
Preparation for work
If this is your first time mowing a lawn, take a few minutes to understand how to properly mow with a line trimmer. Walk along the lawn and remove any stones, sticks, or large debris.
Turn on the trimmer and hold it so that the handle is snug against your thigh. Make sure the head is at a comfortable height for cutting grass. Walk to one edge of the lot and start cutting the grass.
As you are trying to make an even cut, keep your head parallel to the ground and sweep briefly. It is better to first set the cutting height more so that you can correct it to the ideal state.
How to cut tall grass with a line trimmer
It is advisable to cut tall grass in your garden with a powerful trimmer using thick fishing line. But many will most likely agree that the ground in most cases where the weeds are located will necessarily be uneven, as a result of which the owners of such garden plots have different debris and all kinds of stones. To prevent your expensive device (trimmer) from breaking down the mow of tall grass, it is best and faster to mow in two passes. THOSE. First of all, we cut the entire top of the grass, identify more difficult mowing areas and pass the mower a second time.
When you are going to harvest the grass (using a trimmer) for hay, and you are more or less versed in the area of your plot, then you can predict the course of the mowing of grass in advance, so it will be faster, more convenient and easier for you. The main thing in such a situation is not to rush to mow, but to approach business competently with a cool head.
How to mow with a line trimmer
Mowing with a line mower is much safer than a trimmer equipped with a cord, but this is not always optimal and profitable. The cutting main element (mechanism) must be selected based on the garden area and the height of the weed.
- Previously, we looked at how to mow with a line lawnmower in automatic or semi-automatic mode and manual. In automatic mode, the main cutting element (line) is thrown out after each start of the device motor. On the one hand, it is very convenient, but on the other hand, it is not very economical, for example, your garden plot of a non-standard shape has uneven corners, notches and every next transition from place to place, you need to turn off the device and then turn it on again. It is best in this case to use the second, semi-automatic option. This is when the line is fed in the trimmer by pressing a special button located at the very bottom of the drum (in the cutting area). It is enough just to press the tip to the ground and the line will be thrown out.
If you are an operator, you should understand that the length of the ends of the cutting element (line), which is located on the drum in an extended (working) condition, should not exceed 15 cm.It is this length that should be enough for the average power of the grass trimmers.
What you need to do to properly, easily and quickly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line so that the device itself will serve you much longer than usual.
- Try to keep the main drum (spool) at least 5 cm from the ground.
- When mowing taller grass, mow the top first, and only then get close to the stalks to protect your device from damage and prevent damage to the mower.
- In the process of mowing grass, it is imperative to introduce the cutting element (trimmer) in which the coil rotates in the direction.
- The lawn grass, which is located near the walls of the garden area as a decoration, is best mowed using only the edges of the line so as not to overload the engine and not wear it out too much.
- Every 15-20 minutes worked, let the device rest.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer
Any owner of a country house or suburban area knows that in summer and spring time it is necessary to constantly care for the lawn, otherwise it will lose its external, attractive appearance. Therefore, many dacha owners are wondering how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. And before you start learning how to mow, you need to choose the right tool for the site and only then use it correctly on the lawn.
- Controlling the trimmer, as it may seem to many, is not an easy task, but also nothing special (there is nothing complicated in it) if you correctly observe safety measures and know how to operate it correctly, rather than a garden tool, the cutter of which is a metal disc.
Here are some tips for cutting tall grass:
- Try not to overload the mechanism during the bevelling process.
- If tall grass gets tangled on the line, then immediately turn off the mechanism so that the motor does not burn out.
- If your trimmer runs on gasoline, cutting wet grass is strictly prohibited.
We carry out the correct mowing in both cases
The device should move correctly in front of you and strictly from right to left, because the grass you mowed will surely fall onto an already mown area, which will give you the opportunity to initially mow the tops of the grass. Then you carry out a reverse motion, due to which you will remove any remaining branches of the grass.
- When working with large areas of the lawn, it is best to divide the work into several stages, visually dividing the territory into squares. In the process of mowing the grass, you should move along the outside, which will make it possible once again not to trample the grass at the same time, without complicating the mowing procedure for yourself. To make it easier to work, it is best to move from the bottom, walking parallel to the already treated area, and then return back.
With this approach, you can easily use the line trimmer to mow the grass around the trees planted in the area, carefully bypassing them, and at the same time without loading the devices. If you mow the grass in the way we recommend above, you can reduce the likelihood of the grass scattering to the sides, ensuring faster and easier processing.
Preparing the trimmer for work
Depending on what kind of trimmer you have, you still need to prepare it before starting work. If the trimmer is electric, we need to charge it, or plug it into the 220 Volt network and start working like that. If you are using the grass trimmer with gasoline fuel, fill the tank. Prepare and check the cutting element depending on the design. It will not be superfluous to check the safety of the trimmer. When working with the device, it must be hung on the body and hold onto the handles correctly. Use protective goggles or a special mesh (protective) helmet during beveling.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer?
- Features of the trimmer with line and cord
- Preparing the trimmer
- Preparing the gas trimmer for work
- Correct mowing of young grass
- Mowing tall grass using a line
Mowing the lawn is the main way to give your lawn a well-groomed look. Not wanting to mow with an ordinary scythe by hand, the modern owner acquires a mechanical scythe or a trimmer. If the choice fell on the trimmer machine, the question arises of how to carefully mow the grass with it so as not to damage trees and shrubs (if any).
Features of the trimmer with line and cord
The trimmer machine is more delicate than a full-fledged electric or lawn mower. And a trimmer that does not work with a line, but with a line is an even more delicate device. Cord, in fact, wire can damage the lower part of the trunk in young trees, passing into the root, which cannot be said about the line. With thick stems of weeds, for example, a line that has begun tillering weeds may not have time to cut all the weeds.
Despite the obvious convenience, on uneven and irregular areas, mowing in one place and moving to another, you restart the motor. Exit transition to semi-automatic control: the trimmer in the working part has a separate button that is easily pressed when the drum head touches the ground. The line will immediately be thrown out of the cut.
The length of the line should not be more than 15 cm in working order. Longer line will get tangled, smaller line will not mow effectively. Optimum line diameter 23 mm.
Correct mowing of young grass
To ensure that the device works with maximum efficiency and lasts several times longer than the warranty period, mow the grass correctly, observing the following recommendations.
- Do not lower the coil (drum) of the device under the very roots of the weed, the distance to the ground is at least 5 cm.
- When mowing taller grass, cut the top first. Cutting grass close to the root without removing the top of the stems will entangle the line, stop the drum before it is forced to turn off.
- Do not mow against the direction of the drum.
- Mow decorative grass near walls or fences without moving the trimmer drum too far. This will save the motor from overload.
- After every 15 minutes of trimmer operation, allow the engine to cool down for at least 20 minutes.
But petrol trimmers have a large time reserve of 50 minutes for work and 20 minutes for a break.
Preparing the trimmer
If it is raining or has just stopped raining, you may get an electric shock when cutting wet grass. Before using for the first time, make sure that you have correctly assembled the device, some models are supplied unassembled. Precise assembly will protect you from injury, and the unit itself from failures and sudden breakdowns. Trimmer assembly instructions are described in the user manual.
When using the trimmer, charge the battery (if the device is designed for autonomous operation). Lubricate the mechanical gearbox with lithol or grease. If the battery is not in the device circuit, connect the plug to the socket and start working.
Preparing the gas trimmer for work
Pour gasoline (or diesel fuel) into the tank without overfilling it. Two-stroke trim motors require mixing gasoline with engine oil (not car oil) in a ratio of 1: 32-1: 50. You need to know which oil in what proportion is mixed with gasoline for your model. In four-stroke trimmers, you will need to pour oil and gasoline into different tanks, again, according to the instructions.
Grasp the handle of the device as directed in the instructions. Some trimmers have a double handlebar-like handle. Now follow these steps:
- Close the air damper;
- Switch on the ignition circuit using the key or button;
- If there is a booster mini-pump on the carburetor, pump some fuel into the engine by making 35 clicks on the rocker lever;
- Pull the starting cord until there is significant resistance to its movement;
- Pull the cord sharply up to 5 times.
The engine will start. When mowing the grass, use protective goggles or a helmet with a mesh to prevent the grass from spreading towards the face.
Mowing tall grass using a line
For thick stems of grass (weeds), use a more powerful trimmer with thick line. However, in areas where large weeds grow, the soil is often uneven. If it gets caught on clods of earth, the trimmer motor will brake abruptly. Overuse of this can easily damage your engine. By mowing the top tier, you can see where the grass reaches its greatest length in deeper places. Focusing on such height differences, you will equalize the mowing of the lawn, bringing its view closer to the ideal.
The cut grass is suitable for both hay and lawn fertilization. At the same time, the course of mowing grass is easier to plan, and the process will go faster.
Tips for mowing tall grass are as follows.
- The engine must not be overloaded.
- Turn off the engine immediately if the line becomes tangled on uneven ground or tall grass.
- When using gasoline or diesel as an energy source, do not mow wet grass.
- You need to move the trimmer directly in front of you and to the left, because the cut grass falls on the previously treated sector. Thus, the upper layer of the grass stand is cut off. The layers below it are mowed when you have already gone in the opposite direction.
- If the area to be cultivated is very large, mow one conditional area after another, into which you divided the area before work.
- Move along the outside so as not to trample the cut grass, making your result inconspicuous.
- The mowing lines must be parallel to each other. This will allow you to easily bypass trees found on the site, while overloading the motor is excluded.
If you follow these recommendations, the grass will not scatter to the sides during work, and the process itself will be simplified and accelerated at times.
How to properly mow the grass with a trimmer, see below.
How to use the trimmer correctly
The household trimmer is the easiest to use and at the same time very effective tool. It seems that there is nowhere easier to plug the tool in and work. But still, there are some nuances that you need to know in order for the trimmer to work for a long time and efficiently.
1. Site preparation. Carefully inspect the mowing area and remove all foreign objects such as stones, glass, wire, etc. Having flown out suddenly from under the fishing line during operation, such an object is capable of causing injury.
2. Installation of the cutting system. There are low-power trimmers that can only work with fishing line, mowing soft and juicy grass, they do not need to install the cutting system. But some trimmer models with a motor of 1 kW or more can work with a knife. If there are tough weeds or even a small overgrowth of bushes on the site, you need to unscrew the working attachment nut and install the cutting knife. Then tighten the nut tightly with a wrench.
3. Before starting work. It is very important to wear safety goggles when working with the trimmer, because even if you have removed the area from debris, plant stems and grass can fly into your eyes. The same stems, grass and branches can injure hands, so it is advisable to wear gloves. We simply plug in the electric trimmer, but the battery trimmer needs to be charged for several hours before use. Then, if there is a shoulder mount, we hang it on the shoulder, knapsack on both shoulders. We conveniently grasp the trimmer by the handles: grasp the D-shaped handle tightly with your palm, and grip the garden trimmer with a bicycle handle (U-shaped) firmly with both hands. The trimmer should be held over the grass so that the line spool or knife is parallel to the ground. Turn on start.
4. How to mow correctly. The rotation of the cutting mechanism is counterclockwise. Thus, in order for the cut grass to fall onto the already mown area, easily, with simple movements, we carry the trimmer in front of us, from right to left. To remove the remnants of grass, make a movement in the other direction from left to right. If the area is flat and large, divide it into imaginary squares and mow, moving along the outside of such a square. If the plot is on a slope, then you need to start mowing from the bottom of the lawn, passing across the plot in one direction. Having reached the edge, you need to go back and mow in the same direction, parallel. If there are many trees in the area, only mow with fishing line, otherwise you may cut the tree trunk with a knife. In such a garden, it is best to mow around the perimeter, bypassing the tree in a circle.
5. Completion of work. Turn off the engine and remove the shoulder straps. This is not a complete shutdown yet. It is necessary to carefully clean the spool and knife from the remains of grass. Then fold the trimmer if telescopic or collapsible and hide it until the next mow.
How to properly operate an electric grass trimmer
When choosing equipment for a summer cottage, it is not always worth chasing powerful and dimensional devices. The power of the tool is undoubtedly an important parameter, but it obviously carries with it the increased weight of the device, its large size, as well as the high price and increased fuel costs. But that’s not the point.
If you have a small garden in which fruit trees are densely planted or a small lawn with flower beds and shrubs, then clearing it of weeds and carefully mowing the grass is clearly an overwhelming task for any lawn mower. In such cases, even an ordinary scythe with a hand tool will not help: you simply cannot swing it, bumping into tree trunks.
The ideal solution is a good and inexpensive electric trimmer. It is so lightweight, comfortable and easy to operate that it always becomes a favorite among women and the elderly. A lightweight, quietly whirring electric motor, a handle with comfortable grips and a nylon line tucked into a spool are the main components of an electric trimmer.
Electric trimmer efficiency
Electrokosa, which operates from a household electrical network, is relevant on a site with an area of four to six acres, planted with trees, flowers, shrubs. It is convenient for her to carefully mow grass near the house or along the curb, mow paths, and an environmentally friendly motor that does not produce exhaust, gas and burning will even make it possible to remove weeds in any indoor room. Greenhouse or greenhouse.
The trimmer cable limits the cutting radius, but can be extended with a standard extension. If this length is not enough for you, or the parameters of the electrical network do not contribute to the normal operation of the electric motor, then you can purchase a type of electric tool, a cordless trimmer. It works autonomously, the built-in battery lasts for half an hour or an hour of intensive work is enough to mow the trees in the garden. The trimmer motor can be positioned at the top of the tool or at the bottom. Upper motor trimmers work well on bumpy and uneven terrain. They are also perfectly balanced and can work with tall and wet grass no short circuits will occur. The convenience of working with it is also increased by a single-shoulder loop, which is hung on the shoulder. The lower motor trimmer should only be used on dry grass and on level areas. Often, it is the lower motor trimmers that run on a rechargeable battery.
The line also has its secrets
The line is wound on a spool inside the spool, with the ends exposed outward. When mowing, the spool rotates, and the line, with this rotation, cuts the grass. To release the ends, you need to lightly hit the coil on the ground (semi-automatic system), there are automatic reels, in which the fishing line is released itself. There are also a few rules when working with fishing line:
In order not to damage the line and reel. Try not to touch the spool and line with various hard materials, tracks, curbs, fences. This will shorten the line prematurely, damage the reel or even jam the engine. The line spool should also not touch the ground.
Cut with the ends more effectively. Mowing the full length of the line can overload the engine. It also reduces the mowing efficiency. The tool should be held so that it only mows with the tips of the line. To do this, tilt it forward towards the mowing side.
Tall grass requires several mows. If the grass is taller than 20 centimeters, then one mowing will not do here. You need to mow two or three times, from top to bottom. This is to prevent the grass from wrapping around the spool. The wound grass is the guaranteed overheating of the engine. If the grass is still wound, you need to stop the tool and clean it.
The line ran away and hid in the reel. This option happens when you work if you did not release the line from the reel in time. After all, the line is erased and shortened during mowing. If you do not have time to release it, then stop the engine, unplug the tool, and then disassemble the spool and pass the ends of the line into the desired holes.
What determines line consumption? Remember that the line wears out faster if the grass is tough. Therefore, you need to release it more often when mowing weeds and dry tough grass. Around the foundation of the house, near the wall and curb, the line consumption will also be greater than directly on the lawn or near the trees. It is worth considering: if you work carefully and accurately, then the consumption of the trimmer line will be optimal and economical.