How to cut the corner of the skirting board to the ceiling
Material for the production of ceiling slats
The first skirting boards were made of plaster. But they did not last long on the building materials market (the main reason is the high cost of gypsum plinths), giving way to products made of polystyrene, wood and expanded polystyrene.
Before proceeding with a detailed analysis of the question of how to correctly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth, it is necessary to find out what are the features of each category of the presented products.
Polyfoam is the most economically profitable material for the manufacture of ceiling plinths. The main advantages of this product category are:
- low cost;
- looks great on the ceiling;
- it is not difficult to choose skirting boards that harmoniously fit into the interior of almost any room;
- well cut;
- these skirting boards are easy to work with.
There is also a “reverse side of the coin”. foam products break easily, but many experienced experts argue that this fact is not a serious problem (the skirting board is not physically affected on the ceiling).
Even if you do not know how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth, you can practice on products from the presented category (cut pieces, etc.).
Expanded polystyrene, which is used as a material for the production of ceiling skirting boards, is stronger than polystyrene, but this criterion negatively affects the cost of products.
The main advantages of the presented category of skirting boards are their high strength, long service life and the ability, without strong physical efforts, to cut off the corners you need.
Wood products are more expensive and look more solid than the above products. But the presented category of ceiling plinths is difficult to machine.
In order to cut off a corner, you will not only have to work with a hacksaw (experienced experts recommend using a blade for metal), but also eliminate irregularities using sandpaper.
The question of cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth must be solved taking into account the materials that are used for their production. For example, to prepare foam products, you can use an ordinary clerical knife, which will be a poor helper if you are installing wooden skirting boards.
How to cut a corner on a skirting board: professional advice
The appearance of the ceiling in your home, apartment or office largely depends on the choice and installation of ceiling plinths. It is not only the color, material, width and other parameters of the presented elements of the decoration of the premises that play a role, but also how they are prepared and mounted.
In order to prevent irreparable mistakes in the process of fixing the planks, you need to know the answer to the question: how to cut a corner on a ceiling plinth without asking for professional help.
How to make a miter box without the help of specialists
If you do not have a miter box, but you know that you can use it to prepare ideal angles, then make this device yourself.
- three small boards;
- a hammer;
- hacksaw for metal.
Make a small U-shaped tray with cuts that form the corners necessary for your task. The main thing is not to rush, carefully check your incisions (preferably with a protractor) and make sure that your structure is stable.
If you know how to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth, but for this you need a device that allows you to cut off non-standard corners on fillets (another name for plinths), make the necessary tool with your own hands.
To do this, you need to connect two rectangular boards with the letter “G”, and make cuts on one of them. On paper, using a protractor, you need to draw a mowing line so that they form the necessary angles with one of the boards. The device is ready, it remains only to test its functionality in practice.
As a last resort, you can always find some kind of thing that will help you cut off part of the baseboard at the right angle (book, table pushed against the wall, etc.).
An important point! When making measurements, keep in mind that for the outer corner of the ceiling plinth you need to take a margin equal to its width (fillets, in this case, protrude outward).
Docking the skirting board
Having studied in detail the information provided, you can answer the question of how to cut a ceiling plinth using different methods for solving this problem. But besides this, you need to know effective ways to connect the planks.
Tommy’s Trade Secrets. How To Fit Coving (Internal Mitre)
One of the ways (which has already been mentioned) is based on the use of connecting elements.
They are available for external corners, for internal corners, as well as for connecting skirting boards in straight sections. A very convenient way to save time and, in some cases, financial resources.
Even experienced professionals will not be able to mount skirting boards for ceilings so that everything is perfectly smooth and beautiful.
In order for the quality of the work performed to be at the highest level, you must use the following recommendations:
- on straight sections of the plinth, you need to connect so that one part slightly covers the other;
- after applying glue at the joints, the remnants must be wiped off;
- all gaps between different parts or between the skirting boards and the ceiling / walls must be sealed with a sealant (alternatively, putty with water-based paint).
Preparing corners with a miter box
Builders, joiners and renovators are well aware of this device.
A miter box is a special wooden tool with slots, in the form of an inverted “P”, which allows you to cut a board or plinth so that an angle of 45 or 90 degrees is obtained.
In addition to this device, you will need a clerical knife, a hacksaw for metal and a sandpaper if you are working with wooden skirting boards.
The preparation of the corners should be carried out without undue physical effort, so as not to damage the skirting board.
Experienced experts recommend adhering to the following procedure:
- At the bottom of the miter box, you need to lay the side that will contact the ceiling, and the lower part is pressed against the right wall.
- The adjacent corner is prepared in the same way, but the plinth is applied to the left wall / slot.
- The resulting cuts are applied to the corner, if you have a large gap, trim the irregularities with a clerical knife.
- In the case when a small gap is observed between the prepared skirting boards, remove it after fixing all the elements using putty.
To do this, it is enough to cut the strips at right angles and then insert them into the connecting element. But this solution to the issue cannot always be applied in practice.
Very often the connecting part looks ridiculous, stands out strongly against the general background and spoils the appearance of the room.
The main disadvantage of preparing skirting boards using a miter box is the fact that this method is only suitable for rooms where the angle between the walls is 90 degrees.
Any deviations or irregularities can prevent you from performing this work efficiently. And one more advice from experts.
If you have no experience in preparing skirting corners, practice on scrap or unusable material before proceeding with this task.
How to cut a ceiling plinth without special tools
If you do not have a miter box and the desire to make it using the above recommendations, try to cut the skirting board without using a special tool.
To do this, you need to attach the fillet to the ceiling (only the way it will be fixed) and draw the line.
A similar operation is carried out with another wall forming an angle. The intersection of the two lines will show you where to cut off a piece of the ceiling plinth. To do this, you must once again attach the plank to the ceiling and draw the line from the specified point to the end of the plinth, to the bottom corner.
If you need to prepare the material for the outer corner, use the following algorithm:
- On the right side, a plinth is applied to the ceiling and a fishing line is drawn along it.
- A similar operation is carried out on the left side of the corner.
- On the plinth, you need to make two marks: the place where the corner of the room passes and the point of intersection of your lines.
- After connecting these points, you will receive the necessary cutting line.
Among the main disadvantages of the presented method, it is necessary to highlight the fact that sometimes there are significant errors, the cause of which may be: a human factor, a bad pencil or an uneven ceiling / walls.
A few tips from experts
If you are interested in the question of how to cut corners on a ceiling plinth, from a theoretical point of view, or you are planning to make repairs in the indefinite future, then you should remember some tips:
perfect inside miter joint hack. baseboard molding install
- when making repairs indoors, make sure that all the elements not only create an overall beautiful picture, but also “dock” with each other;
- you should not buy wooden skirting boards if you do not know how to work with it;
- fix the planks only after they are fully prepared (you are unlikely to be able to clean up irregularities on the glued ceiling plinth);
- installation of ceiling strips should be carried out, starting from the corners, according to the principle: “from complex to simple”;
- when buying ceiling plinths, take the material with a margin (not only taking into account possible errors, but also to compensate for losses on uneven walls).
Practice shows that trimming the ceiling plinth, despite the complexity of this process from the position of beginners, after “passing” several corners, is perceived much easier. But doing similar work in a room with rounded corners can be a major challenge, even for professionals.
Usually such problems are solved using a method that is based on the creation of “patches” where the bottom is wider than the top. This work requires perseverance, a good eye and accuracy.
After a detailed study of the question of how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, even a person without experience in this field of activity will be able to independently perform this task at home.
As a result, you will not only save money, but also get moral satisfaction after the repair work.
Ways to get a beautiful angle
The most difficult area when decorating a ceiling surface with a frieze is the corner areas. If you just cut the skirting board at the right angle, ugly gaps will remain. To achieve a snug fit between two adjacent products, you must also trim their edges. There are several ways to do this.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth. simple and correct ways
The aesthetic perception of the entire room directly depends on the beauty of the ceiling decoration. This is especially true of the quality of gluing the baguette: if it is not difficult to do this on straight sections of the walls, then when decorating the corner sections, you will need to know how to cut the ceiling plinths.
Varieties of ceiling plinths
The classification of the baguette is carried out according to the material of manufacture:
- Plaster. The most ancient representatives of ceiling plinths. For their casting, special matrices were used. Various solutions were used as an adhesive assembly. The name “fillets” is also used for plaster moldings. In modern construction, they are used very rarely due to the high cost and inconvenience of installation. In addition, more reliable and inexpensive simulations of plaster fillets have appeared.
- Polystyrene (polyurethane). The most common type of skirting board. Products of this type are characterized by low cost, excellent aesthetic characteristics, ease of installation and a rich assortment in terms of external design. The width of polystyrene moldings varies from 5 to 250 mm. They can be used in any type of room, complementing various interior styles.
- Wooden. Expensive and rather bulky baguettes, with the help of which wooden houses with the corresponding interior are mainly made out. To install wooden planks, in addition to glue, screws and nails are often used.
- Plastic. An excellent option for bathrooms and other rooms with high humidity. Installation is carried out on special moisture-resistant glue or secret self-tapping screws.
When installing the above products, you need to know how to cut the ceiling plinth. This does not apply to plastic products that come with special angled adapters.
How to cut a corner with a miter box
In rooms with even corners and walls, cutting the ceiling plinth with a miter box is usually not very difficult. The tool has the form of a U-shaped groove with saw guides made at an angle of 90 and 45 degrees. Having placed the element requiring cutting inside the device, insert the saw into the guides. During the cutting process, the baguette must be firmly held in place to avoid defects. Cutting off the plinth is quite difficult, since it is necessary to achieve its simultaneous adherence to two planes. If the width of the baguette is small, then it is more convenient to press it to the near side. “How to cut ceiling plinths. cutting tools and rules”.
How to cut off the corner of the skirting board if the outer corner is being formed:
- Before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth with a miter box, it is washed down at an angle of 45 degrees.
- The miter box is exposed in a comfortable position. This will make it possible to determine the exact location of the skirting board: first of all, this concerns the edge of the product that will be adjacent to the ceiling. To avoid confusion, it is best to place the right-side plank on the right and the left-side plank on the left.
- The surface is pressed against the lower surface of the miter box. In this case, the second part rises, turning out to be the closest. It must be applied to the wall of the miter box in such a way that during operation it will not wobble. With this arrangement, the front side of the product turns out to be turned in the opposite direction.
- The cut must be done at an angle of 45 degrees from yourself. If done correctly, the two halves are folded together to create a beautiful outer corner.
After the correct sawing off of the ceiling plinth in the corners is completed, both pieces must first be applied to the ceiling “dry” in order to check the coincidence of the corner geometry. If necessary, trimming is carried out with a knife. It is easier to cover small gaps with a putty, which, after drying, must be treated with sanding paper. As for the inner corner, it is much easier to arrange it.
The procedure for how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the interior type is very similar to the one described above. The first step is to determine the side that will be adjacent to the ceiling. It is placed at the bottom of the miter box. The reverse side leans against the near wall. After sawing off the plinth on the ceiling is finished, the resulting fragments must be dry applied to the corner, checking the quality of the joint. Fitting is carried out if necessary. After that, one and the second skirting boards are installed on the assembly structure. Small gaps in the corner can be filled with a special putty.
What tool is needed
When installing the ceiling plinth, it must be cut to size or in the corners.
The following tools will usually help you to cut the corner of the skirting board:
- Hacksaw for wood. It is used to work with wooden products.
- Hacksaw for metal. This tool is convenient for cutting plastic, foam and polymer friezes. As a result, it is possible to obtain a fairly clean joint without burrs. When working with saws, it is convenient to use a miter box.
- Stationery knife. It can be used to cut styrofoam baguettes without using special tools. The main thing is that the knife is well sharpened and has a thin and even blade. If you act carefully, the cut is smooth, without any dents.
When using the saw, it is important not to use excessive force, otherwise the skirting board will be bent. It is best to practice on some unnecessary piece first. This will allow you to get beautiful fragments in the future.
Other pruning methods
As a rule, in ordinary rooms, the evenness of walls and ceilings is rarely observed. With slight deviations, they can be trimmed during the fitting process. If the deviation of the angle from the standard 90 degrees is large, you need to know how to cut the ceiling plinth without a miter box.
There is only one way out in such a situation. to carry out the procedure on how to cut corners on the baseboards on the ceiling in place:
- To carry out the procedure, how to properly cut the plinth to the ceiling, you need to arm yourself with a finely sharpened pencil (with its help you can apply clear marks that are not visible from afar), a fragment of a baguette, a ruler and a good office knife (if a plastic or wooden plinth is mounted, then a saw).
- Attaching a frieze to the corner, make a pencil mark along the outer edge. Do the same with the reverse side of the corner. As a result, the line should form a cross on the ceiling. The intersection point of the marks will be the convergence point for the edges of the ceiling frieze. To transfer the scheme of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth at the corners, the frieze is applied and rests with the end part in the corner.
- Next, using a ruler, you need to connect the edges of the frieze and the markings. A simple operation, how to cut a plinth for a ceiling on a solid surface, will not give a positive result: there will still not be a complete connection along the cut of the corner of two separate moldings. In this case, it is necessary to carry out additional trimming in place. This option is suitable for not very wide friezes (up to 5 cm).
- To trim the corner more accurately, you need to put the plinth on the end. When cutting, the knife should move obliquely at an angle of 45 degrees (so that the edge is sharp). After that, fitting in place, if necessary, then on a very small scale.
- A similar procedure, how to properly cut the plinth on the ceiling, is carried out in relation to the second plank. It must be attached to the place of future installation, resting its end on the adjoining side of the corner. Next, mark the point with the cross, apply the markings and cut off at the bottom. If adjustment is required, then it is carried out even before spreading with glue.
Similar actions are carried out on the outer corner. It is most convenient to first cut one corner, and adjust the second along it.
Using decorative corners
This refers to special corner adapters, which are usually completed with polyurethane and polystyrene friezes. Decorative corners are glued to the very corner, and the baguettes are adjacent to them on both sides. Adjustment in this case is either not required at all, or is carried out with a simple clerical knife.
Docking on straight sections
The most difficult areas when decorating the ceiling perimeter with a frieze are the corner areas. Having passed the first corner, they usually begin to move in both directions at once, gluing bar by bar in turn. If the entire frieze fits in straight docking, there are no problems: having cut both edges with a miter box at an angle of 90 degrees, they are connected with mounting glue. The main thing is to achieve maximum invisibility of the joint.
A slight difficulty arises when the assembly work is approaching the next corner and the frieze needs to be cut to length. This should be done with a certain margin for corner trimming. Experienced craftsmen recommend leaving a stock of at least 10-15 cm, taking into account possible mistakes during registration (sometimes it does not work the first time). After the corner of the frieze is cut and checked, the plank is applied dry on the area remaining from the corner with a straight cut towards the nearest baguette. Marking the length with a simple pencil, cut off the excess at an angle of 90 degrees, and glue the manufactured and fitted piece.