How To Cut The Floor Pvc Skirting Board
How and what to cut a plinth Choosing how and what to cut a plastic plinth, they prefer a familiar and fairly easy-to-use tool.
Choosing the right tool
Completing the repair and finishing work in the room, each specialist asks how to cut the plastic skirting board. The answer depends on how important the quality of the resulting edge is.
If the quality of the edge is not very important, but the speed of work is important, then many builders and finishers use a grinder.
The thickness of its disc is such that the cut line will be quite wide, but the edges will not always be able to please the owner with their quality. However, with this tool, you can perform a fairly large amount of work in a short time.
The grinder will leave a flat edge
You can even cut the plinth with metal scissors if you don’t have another tool at hand. Such manipulation cannot be called convenient, but if necessary, the master will easily cope with the task at hand.
In any case, the cutting tool must meet certain requirements, including:
How and what to cut the plinth
When choosing how to cut a plastic skirting board, they prefer a familiar and fairly easy-to-use tool. We are talking about a hacksaw familiar to all craftsmen.
However, this is not enough, since it is required not only to accurately make a straight cut, but also to accurately and correctly cut the corners.
For the high-quality performance of this operation, you will need such a device as a carpenter’s miter box. It is with its help that you can cut an angle of 45 or 90ͦ. Of course, you can use a grinder, but in this case the cutting line will be quite wide, which is not always convenient.
Alternative to standard views
After the PVC skirting board is cut, there should be no chips at the edges. A properly chosen tool that will have to cut the skirting board does not cause cracks or significant irregularities at the edges of the edge.
The electric jigsaw is no less popular with builders, but it can only be used when working with panels. Skirting boards, which feature fairly thin walls, cannot be cut qualitatively with such a device.
The safest and most effective after a hacksaw for metal is the usual assembly (wallpaper) knife.
Cutting thin-walled skirting boards that are attached to the floor with this tool is quite quick and easy.
PVC floor skirting boards equipped with a cable duct are easiest to cut with a conventional hand jigsaw. It will allow you to make a clear cut, keep the edges of the edge intact and prevent the plank from cracking.
The installation of the skirting board starts from the far inner corner. If the wall is long, then you will have to use a connecting plug, and then cut the plinth strip, not reaching 1.5 cm to the edge of the wall or 0.5 cm to the next corner. Regardless of the number of corners and joints, cutting is carried out strictly in a straight line, which greatly facilitates the work. For a detailed manual on cutting and joining skirting boards, see this:
Working with ceiling plinths
Beginners often ask how to cut a ceiling plinth to form an inside or outside corner. Ceiling skirting boards cannot be cut accurately without using a miter box. This device allows you to cut at any desired angle.
Correct trimming can be done with strict adherence to geometric shapes. Using a miter box makes it possible to obtain a perfectly smooth and precise cut.
Scheme of work with miter box
The full set has slots designed to cut workpieces at an angle:
- 45 ͦ;
- 60 ͦ;
- 67.5 ͦ;
- 90 ͦ.
To carry out the operation, during which it is necessary to install the plinth in the corner, it is necessary to cut the panel exactly 45 ͦ. In this case, the two pieces put together will give a full 90 ͦ when creating both the outer and inner corners. For more information on how to properly cut skirting boards with the required angle, see this:
Any skirting board (ceiling or floor) is cut after the correct slope has been determined.
The location of the cut on the inner or outer surface of the part depends on the configuration of the corner itself.
In cases where the walls in the room are uneven and there are practically no strict corners, you should not use a miter box. It is better to cut the skirting boards by hand using a regular painting (stationery) knife.
If the corners of the walls do not correspond to the standard parameters, then stencils can be used. For this, strips of thin cardboard or thick paper are used, from which strips are cut that correspond in thickness to the selected plinth. They are applied to the corner joint and fixed there, then the unnecessary part is cut off using a clerical knife. You need to cut perpendicular to the intersection of the walls, so that in the end you can get two absolutely identical parts of the same corner. The template is used in case of a mismatch of the wall corner with the standard. The creation involves cardboard with a thin structure or thick paper. Cut the strips to a thickness suitable for the selected skirting board. The cut piece should be applied so that the unnecessary part is cut off with a clerical knife.
How and how to properly cut a plastic baseboard
Geometric shapes are very important for proper trimming. Compliance with this condition is necessary in order to form an ideal assembly seam in the middle of the panels. When carrying out this procedure by eye, the result will not be able to console with a high-quality look due to the inconsistency of the sides to each other. This is most important during the formation of the inner and outer corners. Therefore, a perfect cut is obtained using a miter box that can measure angles of 45 degrees.
Cutting using a miter box is done in this way:
- The central recess in the tool is used to fix the skirting board in it. The panel material is applied to the surface with the draft side. If you do the opposite, you may damage the face. The diagonal slots are guides.
- The desired angle is the next step when choosing. It is necessary to monitor the position of the edges of the panels. They must not protrude beyond the diagonal slot. This is the only way to get a cut of excellent quality. With a large depth of the miter box, which is very different from the dimensions of this skirting board, it is necessary to uniformly press the panel to any groove side. Only then can the cutting process be performed. The angle must remain constant. If this is not observed, then at the end of the actions done we will get figures of different shapes. Due to the elastic structure of PVC, excessive pressure on the skirting board will spoil the cut quality. The cutting rate should not go beyond moderate because of the risk of overheating and deformation of the boundaries.
- Due to the sawing work on one side, you should start forming the other. You need to proceed according to the same instructions, only using a mirror image of the corner. To display the cut angle inverse, place the material in the opposite cut.
Choosing the right tool
How to trim the material? This question is maturing for almost any novice builder. The selected cutting tool will affect the evenness of the cut edge. PVC skirting boards contain a hollow-filled structure, so the use of tools containing large teeth or a wide wave is not encouraged due to the high risk of chipping and numerous irregularities.
For a plinth cut, it is better to use a hacksaw for metal. Its structure is characterized by sharp, rather fine teeth and an acceptable working width. The use of a hacksaw only applies to panels. Thin-walled skirting will become uneven due to the influence of the teeth.
The hand jigsaw is the best tool for cutting the corners of the ceiling plank.
Any plastic product will be cut absolutely straight. But, the jigsaw has the disadvantage of a small size. This will greatly affect the speed of repair work due to the large number of canvases. Abrasive files should not be used while working with a jigsaw, as the first tool will significantly complicate the whole procedure.
Thin-walled skirting boards are best cut with a regular utility knife with a hardened blade. Obtaining a clear and even cut will happen only if you have a lot of experience with the tool and material of this type, so that beginners will have quite difficult.
“How to cut a plastic skirting board”
This explains in detail how to cut a skirting board with a miter box and how to join floor, ceiling skirting boards in the outer or inner corners.
There are several types of plastic skirting boards for floors, depending on the material of the topcoat:
- Special T-shaped profile for framing carpeted floors. To decorate such products, strips are used, cut from the floor covering itself, which are fixed with double-sided tape.
- L-shaped products specially designed for fixing linoleum to walls.
- Versatile, suitable for floors of a wide variety of materials (from tiles to laminate or parquet boards).
In terms of functional features, such products are:
- With a cable channel equipped inside the fillet (one or more) for laying wires for various purposes (telephone, antenna, computer or electrical).
- With pressed-in rubber strips around the edges for a snug fit on rough and uneven walls.
In terms of geometric dimensions, the choice is also wide enough. The width of the fillet, which is usually chosen, is commensurate with the height of the ceiling of the room, and can be from 40 to 150 mm. The standard length is 2 or 2.5 m. The thickness of the profile in the lower part, depending on the design, is within 10 ÷ 38 mm.
How to cut a plastic baseboard: tools and fixtures
At the final stage of arranging the floor, the places where the topcoat adheres to the walls of the room are usually covered with baseboards. Recently, the most popular are plastic products. They are not only aesthetic and varied, but also highly functional. The question of how to cut a plastic skirting board arises from any home craftsman who has encountered this procedure for the first time. The tools and devices for carrying out such work are quite simple and readily available.
Miter box: varieties and methods of use
A miter box for cutting plastic skirting boards is a special device designed for accurate cutting at a certain angle. The simplest products are made from wood or plastic. In geometric shape, they represent a segment of an inverted U-shaped profile. The sidewalls have narrow cuts for the hacksaw blade. Until recently, the most common devices were devices with three cuts, allowing you to cut the end of the plinth at angles 45 and 90. However, the layout of modern apartments is very diverse and it is often necessary to equip different corners of the premises. Therefore, manufacturers produce products with a large number of slots, designed for the installation of a hacksaw blade at various angles.
The price depends on the size and material of the fixture. So a plastic device from Stanley 310 mm long, 130 mm wide, 78 mm high sides and the ability to cut at angles of 90, 45 and 22.5 now costs 750-800 rubles.
The application algorithm is quite simple:
- Using a marker and a ruler, mark the cut mowing line.
- We firmly press the profile against the vertical wall of the device so that the marking clearly coincides with the installation site of the saw.
- Saw off carefully.
You can cut the plastic skirting board with a hacksaw for metal. This tool has its merits: small cutting teeth and a small spread. However, the low longitudinal stiffness of a narrow hacksaw blade can adversely affect the quality of the processed surface. It is better to use special butt saws for this (with a wider and stiffer blade). The hardened prongs will handle plastic easily.
Complex designs are a base with clamping clamps (for fixing the workpiece). The set already includes a saw mounted on special guides. The cutting angle can be adjusted within wide limits. The base materials are metal or impact-resistant plastic. But such devices are already more expensive. So, the popular rotary models from Gross or KWB with a double-sided saw (the size and sharpening of the teeth for various materials), depending on the size, already cost 2,200-4700 rubles.
It is very simple to use such devices:
- Set the required angle;
- We press the fillet to the frame with the help of clamps, so that the marking is strictly under the saw blade;
- We make a cut.
And even if you decide to make repairs in only one room, then you should think about renting such a device and not thinking about how to cut a plastic baseboard. Ease of use, speed and quality of processing will pay off the money spent in full.
Tools and fixtures
When arranging the finishing framing of the floor, any home craftsman reasonably has three main questions:
- How to cut a plastic skirting board?
- How to do it neatly and at the required angle?
- How and with what to fix the cut pieces to the wall?
You can cut long products into separate parts of the required length using:
- Grinders (with installed thin cutting disc);
- Electric jigsaw;
- Hand saw (for metal or with small hardened teeth).
The final choice of what to cut a plastic skirting board with depends on the tools already available, personal preferences and experience.
To securely fix the fillets to the walls of the room, you will need:
- A perforator (with a drill of the required diameter) or an electric drill (with an impact mode);
- A set of dowels and screws;
- Screwdriver or screwdriver (to save time and effort).
For neat sawing off of pieces at the right angle, you will have to purchase a miter box (of course, if it is not on the farm). You can’t live without it.
Advantages of plastic products
Compared to their counterparts made of wood or MDF, plastic skirting boards have a number of advantages. Their undoubted advantages include:
- Durability and strength.
- Moisture resistance. They are suitable for installation in rooms with high humidity (bathrooms, showers and toilets).
- They do not need to be painted or other protective coating applied.
- The construction market offers a huge selection of colors: from a variety of monochromatic to imitating the structure of expensive wood species. It is easy to choose fillets for any interior solution of the room.
- Easy handling and wall mounting.
- Convenience with subsequent care. The only limitation: it is unacceptable to use abrasive cleaning agents, which can scratch the upper decorative layer.
- Affordable price.
- Safety for human and animal health. All modern polymeric materials for this purpose are manufactured in strict accordance with sanitary standards and requirements.
How and what to fix
The simplest, least labor-intensive and fairly reliable method of fastening is the use of universal quick-drying adhesives such as liquid nails. The disadvantages of this method include:
- When dismantled (if necessary), the product will most likely be damaged, therefore, initially it becomes disposable.
- The inner surface of the fillet should have a sufficiently wide flat strip to be able to apply the required amount of adhesive.
If the delivery set of the plastic skirting board for the floor includes fasteners: metal (or polymer brackets) or special long profiles, then first they are fixed to the wall using dowels and self-tapping screws. Further installation is quite simple. The product is neatly snapped onto the already fixed fixtures. The advantages of this method include: the possibility of multiple dismantling (this is especially convenient when changing the wallpaper: the lower edge of the wall decoration can be brought behind the plinth).
The presence of a cable channel with a decorative outer strip allows you to simply screw such a fillet to the wall through pre-drilled holes.
Wooden skirting boards or MDF panels require special conditions for their installation and further maintenance. Unlike the above materials, the PVC material rail has taken a leading position due to its positive characteristics, namely:
- Attractive appearance.
- A wide range of colors and textures of the material with the ability to imitate expensive wood species.
- Moisture resistance. They can be safely installed not only in the bedroom, in the kitchen, in the corridor, but also in the bathroom, shower, and toilet.
- Plastic does not require painting or other protective coating.
- Fillets are easy to choose for absolutely any design solution.
- Easy to handle and easy to attach to the wall.
- Strength, durability and long service life.
- Complete safety of the material for human and animal health.
- All modern plastic slats are made exclusively from high quality raw materials in accordance with all sanitary standards and requirements.
- The product can serve as a kind of wire masking channel.
- Ease of use.
- Affordable pricing policy.
How to cut a plastic skirting board for internal corners?
In this master class, we will look at how to cut a plinth with a miter box. There is nothing complicated here, the main thing is to follow all the steps described below in the exact sequence:
- We cut the bar according to the perimeter of the room. For speed of the process, you can draw its diagram on a sheet of paper with marked outer and inner corners.
- We place a plastic sheet in the miter box.
- We find on the side of the tool a groove with a mark of 45 degrees.
- Focusing on the chosen place, we begin to saw the fillet with a hacksaw.
- We clean the resulting edge with fine-grit sandpaper.
- With a pencil or marker, we make markings on the floor. We draw the future border of the product on one and the other side of the corner. So we got a kind of rhombus in the corner, the diagonal of which is the cutting line.
- We apply the plinth to the resulting figure, and then mark its diagonal.
- We draw the line from the obtained point to the corner of the plastic fillet, this will be the cutting line. Focusing on this line, we cut the plinth with a hacksaw.
- We process the end of the material with sandpaper.
- We put the cables in a special channel on the inside of the product. We close the cable channel with a decorative plastic plug.
- We fasten the skirting boards to the wall using self-tapping screws and dowels, after putting corners or plugs on their ends.
- We insert a plug into the resulting joint of the plinth to form a neat inner corner of the plank.
How to cut a plastic skirting board?
- How to cut off a plastic skirting board?
- How to cut a plastic skirting board for internal corners?
- How and with what to cut a plastic floor skirting board at non-standard angles?
Every apartment has a plinth. Thanks to this inherent attribute, the final design of the room takes place and gives it a neat look. Skirting boards can be made from different materials, but plastic is especially popular at the moment. It is lightweight and easy to install, but you need to know some subtleties to properly cut and install it. So, for example, many are wondering how to cut a plastic baseboard. In our article, you will learn about the advantages of a plastic strip, about cutting methods, and also get acquainted with step-by-step instructions that will help you do the job quickly and efficiently.
How to cut off a plastic skirting board?
What tool should be used to cut the material to obtain a beautiful and correct angle for mounting the plastic strip? This question arises from almost everyone who has started repairs in an apartment. The selected construction tool will undoubtedly affect the evenness of the edge and cut of the product. That is why the issue must be approached with special responsibility and the desire to follow all the recommendations of experienced specialists.
How to cut a PVC skirting board:
- Hacksaw for metal. This tool is only suitable for cutting thin skirting boards. This is due to the fact that a hacksaw for metal has, albeit small, but uneven teeth, which can give an uneven shape to the product.
- Manual jigsaw. It is considered one of the best tools for cutting corners of floor and ceiling fillets. The jigsaw will cut the material as smoothly as possible while observing the correct angle by the performer.
- Stationery knife. Only suitable for cutting thin skirting boards. To get a thin and even cut is possible only with a great experience of the performer with this type of instrument. A beginner will have to spend a lot of time to get the desired result.
- Metal scissors. Such a tool can be used with a plastic skirting board, but the material can be crumpled under strong blade pressure.
- Cutting the bar with a miter box. This fixture has been specially made to properly cut the plastic skirting board. A miter box is a small block with slots for a skirting board with different angular clearances for the selected cutting tool. It is with the help of the miter box that you are guaranteed to get even and neat cuts. The bar is fixed inside the device, then the angle and the correct direction of the cut are selected.
- Stencil cutting. This method is advisable to use for cutting skirting boards for irregularly shaped corners that are less than or more than 90 degrees. It is easy to make such stencils of the required angular value yourself from paper or cardboard. First, strips equal to the width of the skirting board are cut from the selected material. Then they are applied to the corner of the room and fixed, and then they are cut to the shape of the same corner. These stencils are used to cut the plastic strip itself.
Important! When working with the miter box, you must make sure that the fillet edges protrude slightly beyond the edges of the slot. If the tool for cutting the plinth is wider than the plinth itself, then in this case it will be correct to fix the part well inside the miter box. Otherwise, the bar can move inside the tool, and the cut angle will constantly change, which will lead to uneven edges of the product.
How and with what to cut a plastic floor skirting board at non-standard angles?
Sometimes it happens that, due to new design solutions, the corners have a rather non-standard shape. In this case, the installation of the plinth is a little more complicated, since the corners can be both external and internal at the same time. And sometimes the corners are completely rounded. For the correct installation of such a product, you cannot use the above steps for cutting and installing the plinth at a standard angle. How to proceed and how to solve the problem with this turn of events?
In a detailed master class, you will find answers to your questions about cutting skirting boards for rounded corners:
- We cut the bar into 4-5 equal parts.
- We spread in small parts the entire corner of the baseboard on the floor using plugs for connection.
- Do not forget to fix the corners on the product with glue or putty. This gives us a neat rounded corner.
If there is an external-external corner in the room, then follow these steps:
- We put the plinth on one side and draw its borders on the floor.
- Next, we apply its second part and make two marks: one intersection with the previously drawn border, the second intersection with the wall.
- We connect all the points together and make a cut.
- We close the ends with plugs.