How to dilute gasoline on a Stihl saw
Recommended brands of fuels and lubricants for powering chainsaws
The specific brand of gasoline for the saw is always given in the manufacturer’s instructions. It is recommended to strictly follow it.
There are 2 types of oil:
- for engine,
- for chain and bar lubrication.
Do not confuse or misuse them. This is guaranteed to damage the tool. Repairing it can cost almost as much as a new saw.
The most popular chainsaw lubricating oils are:
Each container with branded oil always indicates the proportion of oil and gasoline for a chainsaw (Stihl, Husqvarna, Partner, Ural), which must be adhered to when making a mixture.
Gasoline and oil for chainsaws. which is better
Often beginners ask, which one is better to take gasoline for their instrument? In order not to make a mistake in the choice, it is recommended that you read the instructions for the tool. In the instructions, each manufacturer indicates the corresponding brand of fuel. If the manufacturer indicates that the octane number should not be lower than 95, then it is not recommended to pour 92 gasoline.
Motor oils for two-stroke engines are produced by the following manufacturers:
Usually, the ratio is indicated on the lubricant bottle, so it will be difficult even for beginners to get confused with the preparation of the fuel mixture. Do not under any pretext use working off even as a chain lubricant. This will lead to the fact that soon it will be necessary to repair the tool.
Chainsaw refueling instructions
Knowing the ratio of the preparation of the petrol-oil mixture, you can start refueling it. The refueling instruction is as follows:
- First you need to prepare the mixture. Having combined the two main components, you should mix them thoroughly.
- Place the tool on a clean and level surface. Before unscrewing the gas tank cap, it is necessary to clean or blow off sawdust, dust and dirt.
- The filler neck must point upwards
- Install a small watering can in the neck, then pour fuel
- Control the refueling process, as the volume of the tank is small, so it fills up quickly
- Do not fill up to the full maximum, since when the tank cap is closed, the remaining fuel will splash out.
- After the fuel is poured into the tank, immediately add chain lubricant.
- Fuel consumption and chain lubrication are approximately the same, therefore both tanks must be filled at the same time.
- After refueling, you can start starting the engine
It is better to start the engine not in the place where the refueling was carried out, but to move to a distance of 2-3 m. The tool is ready for work, and you can start to start it. How the chainsaw engine starts, you can read in this material (link).
Why you need to mix oil and gasoline
When using the saw, gasoline should always be mixed with oil. The reason for this is the design features of a two-stroke internal combustion engine. It does not have a dedicated lubrication system for parts (as in other internal combustion engines) and, accordingly, its cylinders with O-rings, crankshaft, bearings and connecting rods must be lubricated directly in the process of obtaining fuel.
Step by step instructions for refueling
If you want to refuel your chainsaw, you need to follow a simple algorithm:
Stihl chainsaw how to dilute gasoline with oil
Chainsaws of different companies are based on a two-stroke internal combustion engine that drives the cutting headset of the tool. To drive the internal combustion engine, the proportions of gasoline with chainsaw oil are used. Combining gasoline with oil is a mandatory procedure, so if you just bought a tool, then you need to understand the peculiarities of refueling it.
What will happen if you pour working off into a chainsaw
If you do not want your chainsaw to fail at the wrong time, use only high-quality fuels and lubricants. It is forbidden to mix working off with gasoline. The reasons for this are the following factors:
- Other viscosity of the material, therefore, mining is not able to provide effective lubrication of rubbing parts and mechanisms
- The mining contains small particles of metal and shavings, which, getting into the tank, will cause clogging of the fuel filter and channel. If the grease enters the cylinder together with small particles, they will leave their imprint in the form of accelerated wear of the piston rings.
- Emitting a lot of black smoke, which indicates burning oil
It is impossible to pour surrogate materials not only into the gasoline tank, but also into the chain lubrication tank. What happens if you use the development in the tank for chain lubrication can be seen in the video.
Using the instructions, you can independently prepare the correct fuel mixture on which the chainsaw will work. If the fuel mixture is diluted incorrectly, not only will the tool life be reduced, but also its performance will decrease.
All modern chainsaws are equipped with a two-stroke engine. Its long and trouble-free functioning directly depends on whether the proportion of oil and gasoline is correct for the chainsaw. The variety of tool brands and the features of each of them are the reason that this procedure is not easy for most novice users of chainsaws.
The first question that the user faces before starting work is what gasoline to pour into the Stihl chainsaw.
Gasoline for the Stihl chainsaw is filled exclusively with unleaded high-octane gasoline, that is, with an octane number higher than 90. If you fill it with a low-octane gasoline, it is fraught with engine overheating, piston seizure and engine failure. Therefore, it is optimal to pour AI-92 or AI-95 gasoline into the chainsaw, but here the question of fuel quality arises.
Poor-quality AI-92 may “fall short” of the declared octane number, and AI-95 often contains many additives that do not bring any benefit to the engine. In addition, if the additives are of poor quality, they do not last long, and after a few days the purchased fuel can turn into a low-octane fuel, which is not suitable for a chainsaw engine.
At the same time, a good 95 can harm the piston system. “burn” it. Thus, some users found a way out: to refuel the chainsaw with AI-92 gasoline mixed with AI-95. This achieves an optimal balance between octane number and the amount of additives.
Husqvarna HP structural firm
The brand structure of the Swedish manufacturer Husqvarna HP includes a company that produces mechanized hand tools and lubricants for them, effective chemical additives.
The manufacturer for the chainsaw Partner has developed an original ratio of the proportion of fuel and oil for two-stroke power plants:
The mixing ratio of the fuel consistency is derived from the standard formula 1:50. This is a constant. That is, 20 milliliters per 1 liter of AI-92.
There are moments of non-compliance with the standard approach to dilution with a lubricant of the company’s own production. This is when the internal combustion engine goes through the running-in stage. A combustible mixture is allowed for the engine in a value of 1:40.
Most often, when preparing fuel for saw operation, proportions of 1:50 and 1:40 are used. This means that for 50 or 40 parts of gasoline, one part of oil is added. Calculations are made as follows: 1 l = 1000 ml, 1000/50 = 20 ml or 1000/40 = 25 ml, that is, in the first case, pour 20 ml into each liter of gasoline, and in the second. 25 ml of oil. If there are no instructions and you do not know the proportions for preparing the mixture, then use the following recommendations:
- Tool and oil from the same brand. For example, for a Stihl chainsaw, the ratio of gasoline to Stihl oil will be the same as indicated on the container with oil, usually 1:50.
- The substances used for the mixture have different brands. a ratio of 1:40 is chosen.
- There is only one brand, but there is no information on the ratios of substances in the oil. they dilute 1:40.
- In the absence of any data on saw and oil, dilute the mixture in a ratio of 1:40. The only thing to make sure that the oil is designed for two-stroke engines.
To run a new saw in the first three refueling of the fuel tank, add 20% more oil. In this case, instead of a 1:50 ratio, it will be 1:42, and the 1:40 ratio turns into 1:33. A liter of gasoline will require 24 or 33 ml of oil, respectively. No other running-in measures are carried out with the new saw. Manufacturers advise to work only at the highest speed at all times. After running in the tool, use the usual proportions of 1:50 or 1:40. In some cases, the manufacturer of the equipment indicates other ratios, for example, 1:25 or 1:32, they must be observed.
Step by step instructions for refueling
If you want to refuel your chainsaw, you need to follow a simple algorithm:
How to prepare the mixture?
In order for the equipment to serve for a long time and to properly cope with its functions, it is necessary to know exactly how much oil must be added to gasoline for the Stihl chainsaw. Earlier, we found out that it is better to use a lubricant product from the manufacturer Stihl and unleaded AI92 or AI95 gasoline as components. Leaded fuel grades adversely affect the operation of the unit and disable it. With such components, 20 ml of oil is added to the mixture per liter of gasoline. Any violation of the proportions leads to the appearance of carbon deposits on the spark plugs and pistons, as well as the formation of scoring. The oils used can be green, blue or red.
Their presence is easily determined by the color of the mixture. To dilute fuel, often complete with equipment, a special canister is attached. These containers have graduated marks and two holes. The user only needs to fill the tank with the components of the mixture to the required marks, close the lids and mix. Some people use plastic bottles and syringes to measure oil for this purpose. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that foreign particles or water do not get into the container, all this will worsen the operation of the engine.
How to dilute gasoline for a Stihl chainsaw
Unlike four-stroke engines, Stihl 180 chainsaw oil is poured directly into the gas tank, after being mixed with gasoline. It is recommended to fill the chainsaw with the oil specified in the instructions for this model.
Under no circumstances should you use oil intended for low-speed engines (boats, scooters, etc.).
It can significantly reduce the life of the engine, and if traces of such a substance are found in the cylinder-piston group, the tool will be considered withdrawn from the warranty, that is, it will not be subject to warranty repair or exchange.
Stihl synthetic and mineral oils for chainsaws are sold in bottles or cans of different capacities: from 100 ml to 5 liters. Mineral ones have a lower cost, while semi-synthetic and synthetic ones ensure complete combustion during engine operation, i.e. no carbon deposits and a minimum of toxic compounds in the exhaust.
In addition, synthetic oils retain their properties over a much wider temperature range, and also contain special additives that are useful for engine operation: antioxidant, detergent, preservative, etc.
You can choose an engine oil for your tasks depending on the saw model and the frequency of its use: the oil consumption during the operation of the device is low, and given the shelf life of semi-synthetic and mineral lubricants, there is a risk of simply not having time to use even a liter bottle to the end.
So with a small estimated volume of work, you can not buy a bulk canister, but limit yourself to a bottle. Only Stihl mineral greases do not have an expiration date.
Proportion for chainsaw Friendship
For engines, fuel of low octane numbers is used. The unit shows the highest performance when filling the ICE with AI-76 and AI-80 gasoline.
It is recommended to dilute gasoline and oil according to the following algorithm:
Take 2 clean containers, dried from moisture, with volume marks. Then the fuel is diluted with two-stroke oil in a ratio of 1:50. That is, the fuel is diluted with 20 milligrams of oil.
The ratio of the amount of oil and gasoline for the fuel mixture
The proportion of oil and gasoline for a chainsaw is usually made up according to two recipes:
- 50 servings of gasoline per serving of engine oil
- 40 servings of gasoline per serving of engine oil
How to start a chainsaw CARVER 241, review chainsaw CARVER RSG 241 service.
If the chainsaw was recently purchased and has not yet been operated, then the share of lubricant is increased by a quarter. The same amount is poured into fuel when cutting at temperatures below 2 degrees.
It is not difficult to get such a mixture. Almost every modern saw is equipped with a special two-section container. Oil is poured into a smaller part of it, and gasoline is poured into a larger part. The lids of both parts are tightly twisted and the container is turned over, shaken thoroughly. This achieves a complete and homogeneous mixing of both components.
If there is no such special container, then you can use any gasoline-resistant plastic container with a one-liter lid and a disposable syringe for 5-10 cubes. The tank for gasoline must first be cleaned of various pollutants and water. After that, one liter of 92-95 gasoline is poured into it.
In parallel, 20 ml of oil is drawn into the syringe. If refueling is done in cold weather, then you need to take 24-30 ml. We carefully pour it into a container with gasoline. It is tightly closed with a lid and shaken thoroughly until the components are completely mixed.
Not gaining momentum
Many systems of the mechanism are involved in the start-up, therefore, the loss of speed of the Stihl chainsaw after idling can be a consequence of various factors. Confident idle operation and interruptions in the motor under load can occur for the following reasons:
- development of the engine resource;
- wear, deformation and corrosion of the piston group;
- malfunction of the ignition coil or spark plug;
- unbalance of carburetor screws.
How to mix your own fuel for STIHL chainsaws & equipment
If the tool does not develop speed, then the conductivity of the hole in the fuel tank cap is broken. The emergence of a vacuum does not provide the required amount of fuel, therefore the engine does not gain the required power. Turnover decreases when carbon monoxide accumulates in the muffler, it is difficult to remove gases from combustion.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw correctly: instructions
The tool manufacturer has taken all measures and developed a manual that makes the mechanism easy to start. The user will protect himself from injury if he fulfills the proposed frequency of actions:
- The ignition is turned on and the engine handle is in the down position. The intake of atmosphere from the air filter is blocked by the carburetor flap. To properly start the chainsaw, the throttle membrane must be open to enrich the combustible mixture.
- The lever is set to the start throttle position. The starter jerks several times before the first spark appears. If the flash passes, the instrument is ready to run. The mechanism runs at high revs due to the closed throttle diaphragm. To transfer it to the idle speed, the gas trigger is pressed and the rhinestone is released. The number of revolutions quickly returns to normal.
- On the Stihl MC unit of the standard configuration, additional devices are not provided to start the chainsaw in a lightweight version.
The main reasons why the Stihl chainsaw does not start and how to fix them
German saws STIHL (Stihl) have long established themselves as a high-quality and reliable cutting tool. The company offers a wide range of models for various needs:
- Low-power chainsaws for work in the garden or in the country for cutting shrubs and felling trees with a small diameter trunk, harvesting firewood: MS 170 (1.3 kW), MS 211 (1.7 kW), MS 230 (2 kW) and others.
- Chainsaws of medium power, ideal for farmers, gardeners and builders: MS 271 (2.6 kW) and MS 310 (3.2 kW).
- Super-powerful saws with a gasoline engine, characterized by high performance and suitable for all industrial and household work related to the processing of wood of various hardness: MS 361 (3.4 kW), MS 361 (5.2 kW) and others.
- battery-powered saws and saws that do not require refueling, but are also great for small summer cottages: e.g. MSE 250 C-Q or MSA 220 C-B (with AP 300 S and AL 500).
The lightweight and compact model of the tool is used for domestic purposes, but, despite the optimized performance, sometimes the Stihl chainsaw does not start. Problems are manifested in the fact that the engine turns on and stalls, is unstable, cannot develop the intended power, or suddenly picks up high revs.
Stihl chainsaw stalls: reasons
If the tool turns off immediately after starting, it means that a breakdown of some device or part has occurred. To determine the cause, the mechanism is tested independently or in service workshops. Sometimes the reason that the mechanism does not start well is due to improper saw maintenance:
- insufficient amount of gasoline;
- poorly prepared fuel mixture;
- poor quality lubrication;
- muffler clogged with combustion products;
- unregulated carburetor;
- obstruction of the air filter;
- malfunction of the piston or cylinder.
Why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start
In this article, we will consider the main problems that may arise when starting the Stihl chainsaw (the spark is gone, the tool stalls or does not gain momentum), as well as ways to eliminate them.
After unscrewing the candle, a wet bloom is found on its surface. This indicates an excessive supply of gasoline to the combustion chamber. For this reason, the tool does not work or stalls, since the fuel does not ignite.
Another inhibiting factor is a clogged breather. a small hole in the gas tank cap. It is cleaned with a needle, otherwise the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw will not start. To determine the incorrect fuel supply, the following steps are carried out:
- remove the candle;
- 2 cubes of gasoline are poured into the hole of the candle with a syringe;
- put the ignition device in place and put on the cap of the high-voltage wire;
- the lever is moved to the hot start position;
- pull the starter handle a couple of times.
If the tool starts up and immediately stalls, then the fuel line is tested further. Check the gasoline filter, splash from the engine crankcase, the integrity of the baffle in the pump when unscrewing the cover.
When you hit the gas
Sawing units are idling, but the saw stalls when the gas is pressed, as the load increases. Before use, the tool is warmed up by running the engine at idle for a minute. If this is neglected, the motor will stop after the pedal is depressed. Other reasons could be:
- clogged or unregulated combustible fuel mixing unit;
- a clogged air filter does not provide the required air flow when the load increases;
- a dirty gasoline filter does not pass the required amount of the mixture;
- rubs the wall of the cylinder and piston.
Low octane number of fuel causes brakes, since this circumstance does not allow the engine to reach the required power when the load increases.
Idle speed adjustment
Before commissioning, the tool is maintained. In order for the idle speed adjustment to be effective, prevention is done:
- cleaning the carburetor;
- flushing the engine;
- cleaning the air filter;
- warming up the engine.
To adjust the operation of the mechanism at idle speed, an appropriate adjusting screw is used. Its rotation depends on the required setting:
- With standard adjustment, the screw is turned against the clock hand to the point where it will turn tightly. After that, make 2 circles in the direction of the arrow.
- If the saw is running at low speed, the screw is turned clockwise until the chain starts moving. Then make half a circle in the opposite direction.
- At high frequency, the regulator is turned against the clock hand until the circuit stops. After that, the rotation is continued for another half turn in the same direction.
It will not be possible to adjust the idle operation if there is air suction into the engine through a gasket, acceleration pump, oil seals, or for another reason.