How To Dilute Two-Stroke Trimmer Oil
Filling the two-stroke lawn mower
Typical household lawn mowers typically use a two-stroke engine. Lawn mowers do not need a lot of power and agility, so it is quite suitable for the tasks assigned. In addition, this engine is much cheaper and simpler, but it is fueled with a mixture of oil and gasoline. Such fuel is poured into the carburetor and fed into the cylinder in the form of oil-gasoline mist. Thus, the oil provides lubrication of all the necessary parts, and during the operation of the engine it burns along with gasoline. However, the combustion of this mixture is accompanied by the release of a pungent odor and smoke, which increases the toxicity of exhaust gases.
Rules for pouring the mixture into different engines
All of the above is relevant for two-stroke engines. In the case of four-stroke engines, it is NOT required to dilute and mix anything. gasoline is poured into the fuel tank, and oil into the crankcase. It is important to know that a two-stroke lawnmower cannot be supplemented with oil that is designed for a four-stroke engine or for a liquid cooling system. Otherwise, the entire piston system will be damaged or severe overheating will occur.
How to properly dilute gasoline for a trimmer
Depending on the trimmer type, they can be filled with a fuel mixture or separately with gasoline and oil. Now there is a huge variety of types of motor oils, which are suitable for various equipment, including gardening. In order to choose the right fuel for a particular lawn mower model, you need to know its technical features and understand the brands of gasoline and liquid lubricants. All the details on how to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil. in the material below.
Fuel mixture preparation rules
For many newbies who have bought a lawn mower, the issue of diluting gasoline with oil for preparing a gasoline mixture becomes a problem. After all, you need to know the proportions and adhere to them very scrupulously. The instructions for the product usually indicate in what ratio to dilute the components: 1:25 or 1:32, or 1:40, or 1:50. This means that for 1 part of oil, you need to take 25, 32, 40 or 50 parts of gasoline and mix them.
It is, of course, inconvenient to measure in such categories, so it is better to determine, by simple mathematical calculations, how much oil is needed per liter of gasoline. To do this, divide 1 liter, which is 1000 ml, by a known proportion. It turns out the following mixing table.
|Ratio||Gasoline (ml)||Oil (ml)|
Most often, mineral oils should be diluted in a ratio of 1:40, and synthetic grades 1:50. Whereas for budget Chinese lawn mowers, the proportions are completely different. 1:32 or 1:25. This is due to the fact that in low-power models made in China, a different assembly is used, and the distance between the piston and the cylinder is much greater.
Further actions have the following sequence.
- First, you need to pour gasoline into the container (canister), and then add the required amount of oil. If you first pour out the oil, then due to the higher density it will settle on the walls of the container and stir poorly.
- The next step is to mix the contents of the canister thoroughly by circular motions of a closed container.
- After dilution in uniformity, the fuel must be poured into the fuel tank of the lawn mowers.
detailed and visual instructions can be found at.
Consequences of filling with a mixture with incorrect proportions
When diluting fuels and lubricants, it is very important to adhere to the ratio recommended by the mower manufacturer. If there is not enough oil, then scuffs will form on the piston and cylinder, which sooner or later will lead to a breakdown of the piston ring.
And with an excessive amount of oil, coking of the piston ring occurs, as well as the formation of carbon deposits on the piston, on the spark plug, etc. All this leads to heavy wear and tear of equipment and the need for constant cleaning.
Oil selection rules
Engine oil, depending on the chemical composition, is:
- Mineral. made from petroleum distillates and intended for low-power air-cooled equipment;
- Semi-synthetic. it is a mixture of mineral and synthetic oils and is suitable for 2T and 4T, as well as for air and liquid cooling;
- Synthetic. made on the basis of esters and can be used in powerful technology, as well as for work in difficult climatic conditions.
Depending on the API classification, the following groups of oils for trimmer motors can be distinguished:
- And. for low-power equipment with an engine volume of up to 50 cm³ and air cooling;
- TV. for powerful equipment with an engine volume of 50-200 cm³ and an air cooling system;
- TS. for powerful two-stroke equipment (lawn mowers, chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.) With an engine volume of 50-200 cm³;
- TD. for engines of boats with liquid cooling.
To select the optimal oil for a particular trimmer model, it is better to take into account the recommendations specified in the instructions. For 2T lawn mowers, API-TB and API-TC oils are usually used.
Leading gardening equipment manufacturers develop and produce oils for their equipment themselves. Such lubricants most fully satisfy all the technical and operational characteristics of a specific series of trimmers. For example, for Stihl (Stihl) FS 5 lawn mowers, it is best to use Stihl HP or Stihl HP SUPER oil for Husqvarna 143R, Husqvarna HP or Husqvarna LS oil is suitable. But for the Patriot brand, ordinary mineral oil M-8B is also suitable.
Refueling the four-stroke lawn mower
Four-stroke engines are used in professional lawn mowers. They have great power and can work for a long time without interruption and refueling. They also use gasoline and oil as fuel, but they are poured into different tanks. This means that the oil does not participate in the combustion process, therefore the exhaust gases are not so toxic.
Features of refueling a lawn mower
Lawn mowers are divided into two-stroke and four-stroke depending on the engine design. In the first case, the piston in an internal combustion engine makes 2 strokes in one working cycle, and in the second case. 4 strokes. Differences in the principle of operation of the engine cause different approaches to refueling the trimmer.
Gasoline selection rules
Before buying fuel for your lawn mower, you need to read the manufacturer’s instructions. It indicates the grades and brands of fuel that can be used for a specific trimmer model. In general, when choosing gasoline, you need to focus on the A-92 brand. A-95 is also suitable for refueling lawn mowers, although some experts do NOT recommend taking fuel with such an octane number. This is explained by the fact that at many filling stations such gasoline contains various additives and solvents (for example, alcohol). It should be borne in mind that you cannot save in this matter. in order to extend the service life of the lawn mowers, you should choose only high-quality fuel from trusted suppliers.
Algorithm of actions
Fuel quality increases with proper mixing of the mixture components. Before the mowing, the question arises of how to breed, in what sequence. When mixing the components, pay attention to whether the containers are cleanly washed. A tiny slurry can stall the fuel supply to the carburetor. The fuel tank should be filled from a special container with a filter device.
The procedure is as follows. Half of the available gasoline is mixed with the volume of the specified amount of lubricant. This is followed by the mixing process.
Two-stroke and four-stroke
Internal combustion engines used in trim tabs come in two-stroke and four-stroke. By design, two-stroke engines are simple. But they require a high-quality fuel mixture.
A four-stroke engine does not require the correct proportion of oil and gasoline. Formation of the desired mixture is automatic. The components of the combustible mixture are stored in different containers. The fuel is expensive, but the costs are covered by the silent operation of the unit, the environmental friendliness of the exhaust gases.
Instruction. Types of lawn mowers
Today, on liquid specialized trading platforms, there is a large selection of devices for mowing grass, small bushes. For example, lawn mowers are offered with an electric motor, with gasoline power plants. Lawn mowers equipped with diesel motors are NOT available as they are slow-speed.
Liquid statistics show the superiority of a lawn mower with internal combustion engines over electric counterparts. Electric scythe is used in places where there is a stationary electrical network.
Today, buying a trimmer is not a problem for yourself. It occurs during mowing if the mower has not prepared the fuel mixture correctly. The motor often stalls unexpectedly, like a blowtorch. It is necessary to start the engine over and over again, pulling on the semi-automatic winding device, popularly nicknamed the “lash”.
How to choose the right proportion?
the lawnmower is filled with A-92 gasoline. There are other factory instructions that require second-octane gasoline. For example, A-95. The difference in cost is minimal.
Oil selection does not take liberties. For two-stroke engines, the API sets a specific order:
- For tillers, lawn mowers, air cooled mopeds. I class;
- Engines with a cylinder volume of 200 cm³. TB class oil;
- Recommended for all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles to use oils of the TC class;
- Yacht engines, hydro scooters, motor boats use TD brand lubricant.
From the above list, engine lubricating fluid of the last two positions is not recommended for use with trimmer power units. Letter designations indicate from which petroleum products the lubricating fluid is made.
How to properly prepare the fuel mixture for the trimmer?
We will tell you how to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil. First, you should tackle organizational issues:
- Selection of containers for storing the components of the fuel mixture. Buy metal cans for gasoline. Factory packaging is sufficient for lubricants.
- Do not prepare a large volume of a mixture that is flammable in engines, since its structure will be disturbed. Separation into fractions will begin: the heavy will sink to the bottom, and the light will form the top layer.
- Prepare a medical syringe for precise dosage of lubricant to be added to gasoline for dilution.
We draw the attention of trimmer owners to one detail. You should not buy lubricants for future use. Buy volume that will last for the coming season.
How to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil
High-quality oil that can be poured into a gasoline trimmer must meet a number of requirements and standards in order to ensure reliable operation of the device and its performance. The oil should:
- Provide increased wear resistance for various elements (in particular, the gearbox is especially susceptible to this)
- Provide the lowest possible smoke and exhaust emissions;
- DO NOT allow premature ignition;
- Mix well with gasoline when exposed to low temperatures;
- Have good viscosity and flow characteristics in various temperature ranges;
- Be as safe as possible in terms of environmental impact.
As mentioned, two-stroke engine oil will differ from four-stroke engine oil. It has higher power, which is why fuel for it is obtained by mixing a certain amount of gasoline and oil. The ratio will be different for each lawn mower. You can find out its meaning in the instructions for the device. These proportions must be observed with maximum accuracy. When adding additives, take into account the type of motor.
If mineral oils are used, the mixing should be somewhere in the ratio of 1: 25, 30 or 35, depending on the type. If we are talking about synthetic analogs, then the proportion will be 1: 50 or 80 That is, a certain amount of oil is dissolved in the volume of gasoline.
Tips for choosing
Now let’s try to understand how to choose a quality trimmer oil that runs on gasoline. The main feature to look out for is the base number. This moment excludes oxidation of the parts in which friction is observed, and slows down their deformation as much as possible. The more this compound is used, the faster it loses its alkalinity and becomes more oxidized. The optimal indicator of acidity (PH) is a value of at least 8-9 units.
The second important factor, which also has a serious impact on the performance of the gasoline trimmer, is the viscosity of the oil. This characteristic determines the ability to use the device at different temperatures. Summer brands of oils begin to thicken already with a minimum temperature drop.
The third point, the importance of which should not be underestimated, is the flash point. This indicator should NOT be less than 225 degrees. Otherwise, the composition will burn out very quickly and the load on the piston group will begin to increase, which will cause its accelerated wear. Also, 4-stroke oil will not work for 2-stroke. Namely, the latter type of motors is used in the vast majority of lawn mowers.
If we talk about manufacturers, then you can make a small rating, which will allow you to navigate the formulations offered by various manufacturers. For example, Stihl offers quality synthetic and mineral oils, which have already proven themselves as an excellent solution at any time of the year.
Shell Helix Ultra oil is considered very good. Experts note its high characteristics and excellent indicators of alkalinity and viscosity. In addition, the products of such brands as Oleo-Mac, Motul, Hammerflex, Echo are considered worthy. If we talk about the products of domestic brands, then you should pay attention to Lukoil oil. Its price is several times lower than foreign counterparts, but at the same time it has high quality and good technical characteristics.
Petrol trimmer oil: types and recommendations for use
Gasoline trimmers are among the most popular mowing tools. They are easy to use, mobile, allow the person NOT to depend on an outlet and show excellent results in the places where they are used. But for the stable operation of a gasoline trimmer, high-quality consumables are needed. In particular, we are talking about gasoline and oil. It is in the last component that we will talk in this article.
Engine oil is a special blend of solvent and friction-reducing additives. They form a certain viscosity and DO NOT allow the composition to thicken when the temperature is lowered. Usually oils are specially colored in different colors: green, red or blue. This allows them not to be confused.
Please note that they may vary in composition, so petrol trimmer oil will be labeled “for gardening”. In addition, it may still differ in marking: “2T” or “4T”. The first is two-stroke oil that is filled into the corresponding engine. And the second is intended for pouring into the crankcase.
The oil that is poured into the engine may differ in the production method. According to this criterion, it happens:
- Mineral. this type is obtained during the processing of petroleum products;
- Synthetic. it is obtained by processing or synthesizing gas;
- Semi-synthetic. this type has more advanced characteristics due to the introduction of synthetic-based components into it.
Lawnmower oil refers to formulations intended for use in air-cooled engines that have a combustion chamber volume of 50-200 cubic centimeters. In addition, any two-stroke oil may differ from analogs in additives, which give it certain additional characteristics. They are of the following types.
- Antiwear. The main task of the oil will be to reduce wear of parts during the operation of the device.
- Antioxidant. They DO NOT allow oxidation to occur and make it possible to maintain the performance of the oil for a long time.
- Anti-corrosion. Their job is to prevent corrosion from forming on engine parts.
- Friction modifiers. These additives can significantly reduce the coefficient of friction.
Recently, when purchasing oil for dilution with gasoline, users are very often faced with the fact that special letter abbreviations are applied to the canister. These designations are made within the framework of the API classification. Consider what types of oils exist in accordance with it.
- And it is used for air-cooled lawn mowers, the engine capacity of which is no more than 50 cubic centimeters. It can be used Not only for mowers, but also for mopeds, lawn mowers and other types of equipment. For a petrol trimmer, this is the optimal solution.
- TB is used to refuel a chainsaw, scooter, moped or motorcycle, the engine of which does NOT exceed 200 cubic centimeters. Can also be used for refueling petrol trimmers.
- TC is suitable for thinning with gasoline and pouring into a snowmobile, motorcycle and other types of equipment.
- TD is intended for refueling boats, yachts and gyro scooters.
But in addition to this classification, other letter designations of the FA-FD type are often found. It should be said that the API is an American standard that is used in Europe. But there is a discrepancy between European and American smoke emission regulations. For this reason, additional letter designations should be taken into account.
- FA can be used in countries where minimum exhaust gas emissions are required by law. Faint smoke may be emitted when using oils with this mark.
- FB. can be used in countries where the restrictions on the emission of smoke and gases are much stricter. In this case, the smoke will practically not be emitted.
- FC. smoke of a transparent color appears here, as the human eye cannot notice.
- FD is a special category of oils for 2-stroke engines, they do not create smoke at all. They have enhanced chemical characteristics. Usually this oil is used for mixing with gasoline and subsequent refueling of boats and yachts.
In addition, oils come in two more categories:
In the first case, this will mean that it is necessary to carry out self-mixing, which does not require shaking, and in the second case, you will need to do it too.
How to use?
For the proportion of oil used, see above. Let’s say right away that you should not deviate from the indicated values and dilute gasoline by eye. At best, you just need to change the oil, and at worst, engine damage cannot be avoided.
It is important to be able to prepare the mixture correctly. It cannot be poured into the gas tank. It is better to pour the oil into a special container that already contains gasoline. A plastic bottle of mineral water is perfect for this. It is very important here that it is clean, which is why beer or milk bottles will not work. And it is better that it be a liter or two-liter, since it will be difficult for many to calculate how much oil to fill in a 1.5-liter or 1.25-liter bottle. You will also need to have a syringe on hand that will function as a dosimeter. It is best to take a regular medical one for 10 or more cubes.
Now explain step by step how to make a good gasoline trimmer oil.
- First, you should find out exactly what type of oil is required for a particular braid model, as well as find out the exact ratio of gasoline and oil to create a mixture.
- Then you need to fill the container. The container should not be filled with gasoline to the end, because oil must still fit there;
- Now we draw the required amount of 2-stroke oil into the syringe and pour it into a bottle of gasoline. You cannot do the opposite, otherwise all ingredients will need to be replaced, and the mixture will need to be done again.
- Close the bottle with a lid and stir. Here it is important NOT to forget that you need to stir the mixture if the words Premix are on the bottle with oil. If it says Selfmix, then after mixing the substances, everything is poured into the tank.
Now all that remains is to refuel the petrol trimmer, and you can carry out the necessary work.
For information on how to choose oil for gasoline trimmers, see the following.
And now about how to mix the components correctly. However, it would be more logical to start with an analysis of common, but absolutely unacceptable mistakes, which many owners of this mowing unit “sin” with. The following actions are considered as mixing errors.
- Adding oil to the fuel already in the mowers’ gas tank. Similarly, a homogeneous fuel mixture will NOT work. Perhaps it will work, if only then shake the trimmer for a long time. But it is unlikely that someone will do this by taking the weight of the unit.
- First pour oil into a mixing container, and then add gasoline to it. Gasoline has a lower density than oil, so if it is poured into the oil, it will remain in the upper layer, that is, natural mixing will NOT occur. Of course, it will be possible to mix later, but much more energy will be required than if it were done the other way around. pour oil into the filled gasoline.
- Ignoring accurate measuring instruments for taking the required quantities of ingredients used. In other words, diluting the amount of oil or gasoline “by eye” is a bad habit when operating motor vehicles.
- Take empty drinking water bottles for preparation of the fuel mixture. Such a container is made of too thin polyethylene, which can be dissolved in gasoline.
Considering all of the above, we recommend using the following rules when mixing a fuel mixture for two-stroke trimmer engines.
- Use only clean containers made of metal or special plastic for storage of gasoline, oil, ready-made fuel mixture and its preparation.
- Use for filling gasoline into the LEIKOME dilution container in order to avoid spilling, and for adding oil. in a measuring container with volume risks or a medical syringe for 5 and 10 ml.
- First, pour gasoline into the canister for preparing the fuel mixture, and then oil.
- To dilute the mixture, first pour only half of the planned volume of gasoline into the container.
- Next, add the entire amount of oil required to prepare the mixture to the gasoline.
- Mix the contents of the dilution container thoroughly. It is best to stir by making circular movements with a tightly closed container. You should not stir the fuel inside the canister with any foreign object, since it is not known what material this object is made of, what reaction it can enter into with an ingredient in the mixture, how clean it is.
- Add the rest of gasoline to the mixed mixture and mix thoroughly again.
- You can refill the fuel tank of the lawn mowers.
It must be borne in mind that the ready-made fuel mixture does not have to be stored for more than 14 days, since it loses its properties, stratifies and evaporates, which leads to changes in proportions, and therefore, deterioration of trimmer performance.
First of all, it is necessary to take into account the information that the manufacturer recommends, since in the event of a failure of the lawn mowers, you can present your claims to him, and not to a third-party source. If there is no instruction in the passport, and even more so if there is no passport, we recommend that you look for another trimmer model in a more reliable seller.
For all other cases, when you have a lawn mower model in your hands and there is no way to find out its technical features, there are standard proportions of the Most probable fuel mixture components for a two-stroke engine. Basically, for THESE units, AI-92 gasoline and a special synthetic oil are used, which contains a solvent for better mixing with fuel. This oil evaporates slowly and has the ability to completely burn out in the cylinder, Do not leave carbon deposits.
The standard ratio of synthetic oil to gasoline is 1: 50. This means that 5 liters of gasoline need 100 ml of oil, and in accordance with this, oil consumption per 1 liter of gasoline is 20 ml. Knowing the amount of oil required to dilute 1 liter of fuel, you can easily calculate any rates when preparing fuel for the trimmer. When using mineral oils, a ratio of 1: 40 is most often the standard. Therefore, 1 liter of fuel will require 25 ml of such oil, and for a 5-liter canister. 125 ml.
When working with lawn mowers, a person with little experience in operating such equipment will not be difficult to determine and correct the actual amount of oil required for a particular model. You should only pay attention to Exhaust gases (their color, odor toxicity), cycle stability, engine heating and developed power. details about the consequences of incorrect mixing proportions of gasoline and oil can be expected in another section of the article. There are variants of lawn mowers running on AI-95 gasoline. This should also be considered.
Gasoline to lawn mower oil ratio
lawn mows are a fairly common technique for combating weeds in summer cottages, in road gardens and housing and communal services. These devices have two more names. trimmer and lawn mower. These units differ in their engines. The more expensive ones have four-stroke engines, all the others have two-stroke engines. Of course, the latter are the most popular among the population, since they are simpler in design, and lighter in weight, and much cheaper than their four-stroke competitors. However, two-stroke models are inconvenient in that the fuel mixture for them must be prepared manually, maintaining a strict dosage between gasoline and oil. In four-stroke analogs, the mixing of THESE components occurs automatically, you only need to fill the gas tank and oil tank with the corresponding substances. Let’s consider the issue of the correct refueling of two-stroke lawn mowers, since it depends on how effective and long the operation of such a unit will be.
Consequences of violation of the ratio
How accurately you will observe the proportions of the oil-gasoline mixture recommended by the manufacturer depends on the service life of the motor scooter engine. The fact is that the fuel mixture enters the cylinders in the form of gasoline-oil mist. And the task of the oil composition is to lubricate the moving and rubbing parts and surfaces of various parts in the cylinder. If it suddenly turns out that there is not enough oil, but somewhere it will not be enough at all, the parts touching dry will begin to damage each other. As a result, scuffs, scratches and chips are formed, which will certainly lead to complete or partial engine failure (for example, it can jam).
In the opposite case, when too much oil enters the engine, it does NOT have time to completely burn out, settling on the cylinder walls and turning over time into solid particles. coke, slag and the like. As you might guess, this also leads to engine failure. The most important thing is that you must not allow. even a single violation of the proportion towards the lack of oil. It is better to pour a little oil 10 times than not to top up just once. It often happens that this time is quite enough to break the engine.
How to choose for lawn mowers?
For two-stroke engines, lawn mowers use AI-92 or AI-95 gasoline. Most often. the first of the named. There is always information about this in the technical data sheet of the product. If, for some reason, it is not known exactly on which gasoline the trimmer should work, you can choose it by testing both brands of gasoline in action. Global changes in the engine will not happen from this, and it is quite possible to determine what kind of gasoline and or another model of the unit “likes” more, according to some factors. This will be shown by the developed power, and throttle response, and engine heating, as well as its stable operation at all speeds.
But it is much more difficult to determine the proportions of oil to a certain volume of gasoline. In this case, you need to know at least something in the equipment manufacturer. And already according to the standard proportions for this manufacturer, select the proportion for a specific model, taking into account the type of oil.
For example, for Chinese low-power trimmers, two ratios are mainly used. 1: 25 or 1: 32. The first is for mineral oils, and the second is for synthetic oils. In the choice of standard proportions for lawn mowers of European and American manufacturers in connection with the type of oil, we have already told you earlier. According to the class of oils for household trimmers, you need to use TB oil according to the API classification. For more powerful. class TS.
For the ratio of gasoline to oil required for lawn mowers, see the following.