How To Disassemble A Brushcutter
How to choose a brushcutter for home and garden
The types of brushcutters offered. Design features that matter. The advantages and disadvantages of the tool, depending on the motor installed in it and the type of drive. Recommendations for choosing a benzotrimmer.
The parameter affects productivity. The wider the strip, the faster the area will be processed. The width of the cut is important for the selection of the tool that will be used for mowing large areas. If the area is small, the parameter indicator does not really matter.
Manufacturers offer the tool with three handle options:
1. D-shaped. Compact, convenient for a small amount of work, as well as for mowing grass on a site with bushes;
2. J-shaped. Convenient when working with a metal knife, more compact than U-shaped, but less “sweeping”;
3. U-shaped. The most successful option, which is equipped with a tool with high power. But this view is inconvenient when mowing grass under bushes, as the branches cling to the handle.
Brushcutter selection parameters
The principle of operation and the device of brushcutters
Brushcutters, regardless of the type to which they belong, have a similar design.
The main elements are:
1. Gasoline engine;
2. A bar with a handle, an arm-limiter and an engine stop device;
3. Throttle control lever;
4. Cutting head in a protective cover.
The motor is located at the top of the boom, opposite to the working head. The principle of operation of the petrol trimmer is simple: the engine rotates the shaft, and the working head, equipped with a cutting element, rotates with the shaft and cuts the grass.
Brushcutter with four-stroke engine
Four-stroke trimmers have recently become increasingly popular due to their superiority in some parameters to traditional models.
Comparative analysis of the weight of the proposed tool with a power of 1 hp:
1. Benzotrimmer with a two-stroke engine: average weight. 5.85 kg, maximum weight. 8 kg; minimum weight. 4.5 kg;
2. Benzotrimmer in a four-stroke engine: average weight. 6.4 kg, maximum weight. 7 kg; minimum weight. 6 kg.
That is, the average difference in weight for a 1 hp tool. About 0.5 kg, which is almost imperceptible.
- Separate filling of oil into the crankcase of the device provides better lubrication of all units, due to which the service life of the brushcutter engine increases (approximately by 25%);
- Profitability due to lower fuel and oil consumption (the benefits are tangible when performing large volumes of work);
- Provide more comfortable working conditions: lower noise level, less exhaust gases.
- Higher price;
- Heavier than petrol trimmers with a two-stroke engine by 10-15%;
- Difficult to maintain;
- Engine repairs will be more costly.
Which brushcutter to choose
1. For professional operation, processing a large summer cottage (more than 10 acres) or, if necessary, harvesting hay, you need to give preference to a model with a power of more than 1.5 kW, a rigid shaft and a U-shaped handle;
2. You can keep a small lawn in order using a petrol trimmer with an engine power of 0.5-1 kW with a flexible shaft. D-shaped curved boom for easy work;
3. For the area where you have to deal with the growth of hard grass, you can purchase a tool with a power of 1-1.5 kW, which includes not only a fishing line, but also a knife.
Types of brushcutters
Depending on the technical characteristics, as well as on the operating mode, all brushcutters can be conditionally divided into:
Professional brushcutter designed for industrial use, performing a large amount of work for a long time, and is perfect for use by utilities or in agriculture. Naturally, for this brushcutter must have not only high technical performance, but also the appropriate build quality. As a rule, professional models have engine power from 1.8 hp. And above, they are equipped with both a trimmer head with a line and a steel knife. Over, the thickness of the fishing line is greater than usual (from 2.4 mm), and the knife can be 3, 4 and 8 lozenges (the latter is used for mowing tall, weaving grass and for hay harvesting). There are also knives with a large number of teeth, they visually resemble saw blades and are used for mowing bushes. In addition, a distinctive feature of a professional brushcutter is a non-separable bar, in the middle of which the shaft moves. On the one hand, this is not very convenient, especially when transporting and storing the tool, since the device is quite large, and on the other hand, such a design prevents sand, dirt, dust from getting into the middle, which significantly extends its resource. Over, the connecting mechanism of the two shaft parts may loosen over time, which causes backlash. Separately, it is necessary to dwell on the shaft, which is located in the middle of the rod and transfers the engine torque to the cutting attachment. It comes in two types: flexible and rigid. The flexible shaft has the appearance of a cable and prevents damage to the gearbox when a knife strikes from a stone or tree trunk. It simply absorbs this blow. At the same time, the rigid shaft (metal pin) resists deformation under load. These brushcutters are used for mowing dense thickets and bushes.
Household brushcutters intended for work near the house, in the garden, in the garden. They rarely exceed 2 HP and can also be fitted with a line trimmer and steel blade. Structurally, they are similar to professional models, but there are some features:
- A number of household models are equipped with a curved bar, which is convenient when working in hard-to-reach places (under benches in the garden, near flower beds, between trees), since such brushcutter less overall than its counterpart with a straight bar;
- A type of handle, which can be bicycle type (like professional models), or it can be D-shaped. In the second case, a handle is attached to the brushcutter bar, which the user holds with one hand, and the other hand holds the tool by the bar near the engine. Users’ opinions were divided: which design is more convenient. The matter, as they say, is a matter of habits, since it will change from a bicycle handle to a D-shaped one or vice versa, as practice shows, not everyone succeeds
- Household models are more often found with a collapsible bar, which is very convenient for storage and transportation, since disassembled brushcutter two times less, and assembling it back is not difficult and takes a minimum of time.
Another feature that significantly distinguishes a household model from a professional one is its cost. The latter will be much more expensive. Therefore, before choose a brushcutter it is necessary to decide which tasks you will perform with its help. If you have a plot of up to 15-20 acres, it is absolutely not necessary to overpay and buy a professional tool, since in this case a household brushcutter can perfectly cope with such a volume of work.
How to choose a brushcutter
Motokosa or a gasoline trimmer is a convenient, mobile, practical and therefore very popular tool with which you can mow grass, stiff shoots, thickets of small bushes in your summer cottage, near your house, in the garden before harvesting potatoes. Recent times brushcutters became very popular in agriculture for harvesting hay. However, a large selection of models with different technical indicators and a wide range of prices raise a natural question for the consumer: which brushcutter to choose in terms of price-quality ratio, and so that its technical characteristics meet the tasks that will be performed as much as possible. In this article, we will try to tell you what brushcutters are, for what types of work they are suitable, as well as the basic rules for operating a gasoline trimmer.
We work with a brushcutter: basic rules
The basic requirements that are put forward for working with a brushcutter directly depend on the rules for operating a gasoline 2-stroke engine. Such a motor runs on a fuel mixture of gasoline and 2-stroke oil, which is prepared in a ratio of 1:50, that is, 1 gram of oil is added to 50 grams of gasoline. It should be said that when starting work with a new tool, it is recommended to add a little more oil. Let the brushcutter on one tank of such a mixture work at 50% of its power, then feel free to fill in the usual mixture. When preparing the fuel mixture for your brushcutter, remember that it is suitable for use for no more than two weeks, after which its properties change, which negatively affects the operation of the tool as a whole. Therefore, do not rush to prepare it in large quantities, and also drain the fuel from the tool during long breaks between mowing. There are also models with 4-stroke engines, in which oil is poured separately with gasoline, they are more economical and have a longer service life. But such brushcutters have more weight and cost more.
Before starting work, we recommend that you carefully inspect the area and remove stones, branches, and other debris from it that you may not notice in the grass during work, which can lead to breakage or to premature wear of the cutting tool. When working with a gasoline trimmer, you must remember that it is not only a practical and convenient tool, but also quite dangerous. Since the trimmer head with line or steel blade turns at a high speed, the following safety rules must be observed when working:
- Do not use the tool without the protective shield that comes with each brushcutter
- Wear glasses when working to prevent grass particles from getting into your eyes
- The engine heats up during operation, therefore, when removing the tool between mowing, it is better to hold it by the bar or the handle.
How to choose a brushcutter
The petrol scythe, which makes a pretty decent noise and buzz, and also emits a cloud of acrid gray smoke, is the one with a petrol engine. For the uninitiated, a reasonable question arises: Why complicate your life? Wouldn’t it be better to use a quiet electric trimmer and not take on the hassle of a petrol engine? Over, Hyundai is a very popular manufacturer of garden tools in Ukraine, it produces both those and other braids. Both with an electric motor and a gasoline one. At the same time, electric trimmers are cheaper and do not require refueling.
The answer is simple. A gasoline engine, even noisy and very demanding, always has undeniable advantages over an electric one.
What engines does Hyundai use for its brushcutters?
The Hyundai company differs from competitors in that it creates its own gasoline engines, and not standard and of the same type, but very, very diverse. For generators one, for snow blowers. Completely different, winter, for cultivators and motoblocks. The third. Each group of Hyundai Genuine Engines owns its own design features and is ideal for the exact tool for which it is designed. So it is with brushcutters.
Engines for Hyundai brushcutters are two-stroke, run on a mixture of gasoline and oil.
- The cylinder is covered with nikasil, which improves heat transfer;
- Compression at start is reduced. Easy start system;
- Japanese sintered metal gearbox is almost “eternal” work, as well as noise and vibration reduction. This is a powerful argument for those who dislike the howling and shaking instrument. In addition to the gearbox, there is also a whole system for reducing vibrations, so that these braids do not shake with the hands, there will be no pain in the hands and joints;
- They are easy to start and operate at low temperatures, they are not afraid of moisture and tall grass.
Why is a noisy and heavy gasoline scythe better than a light electric one?
The brushcutter consists of a gasoline engine, cutting equipment, controls and a transmission shaft. This whole structure has long been thought over, analyzed, improved and perfectly balanced. To facilitate the work, the tool (relatively heavy in weight) is equipped with shoulder straps. A shoulder strap or a convenient backpack fastener. That is, the weight of the device lies evenly on the arms, shoulders and back, and you don’t feel fatigue in your hands.
The electric trimmer has a similar design. Over, it is lighter and more convenient to work with. So for mowing a small lawn near the house, a small adjoining lawn, caring for the garden adjacent to the house, it is better not to find a tool. However, please note what terms we use: “small”, “close”. That is, there are two conditions:
- The plot should be small (up to 5 acres);
- Placed near the house, that is, an electrical outlet.
If your mowing tasks do not meet these two criteria, then the choice of a brushcutter is tipped in favor of a gasoline engine. Is he:
- Works anywhere, anywhere and anytime, since it is not tied to the electrical network;
- The size of the plot is practically unlimited (except for the power of the motor, the more powerful, the more area you can take for mowing);
- Power and performance are always higher than that of an electric trimmer. This means that the quality of cutting will be better, and the efficiency is the same for soft grass, and for hard weeds, for tall thickets;
- The previous item pulls the next one. The ability to change the equipment. Not only a wire line, but also a three-pronged knife or even a multi-pronged disc. For cutting and sawing off hard growth;
- Increased resource, reliability and the ability to withstand heavy loads. This is a property of a gasoline engine. Electric cannot boast of such characteristics;
- Well, let’s not forget about the structural elements. The rigid steel transmission shaft (high efficiency), the most comfortable bicycle handles. All this is the prerogative of gasoline braids. Their electric sisters have a flexible shaft (with a cable that bursts under load) and a D-shaped handle (for one-handed grip). But there are models that completely copy brushcutters. With direct drive, gearbox and steel shaft.
In fact, these are the main criteria when you are dealing with the question: “How to choose a brushcutter?” yes, one that mows, and does not stand idle in the barn.
Model range. Which brushcutter and where is it more practical to use
Before choosing a brushcutter among the many petrol models from Hyundai, first determine:
- Land area;
- Vegetation on it.
Soft and juicy grass on a flat lawn does not require a knife, only fishing line. For this, the Z 250 braid is presented in the model range from Hyundai. It is slightly different from other Hyundai braids with a gasoline engine. Its design is more like an electric scythe. Its shaft is flexible and the handle has a D-shaped grip. In fact, it is a lightweight petrol trimmer. Mows only with wire (line). If you put the knife down, the cable will not support the load. But for turf, this model is ideal: easy to mow, carry and store.
All other Hyundai braids have steel shafts, which allows you to use any attachments for mowing: a knife or a disc. And this means that we not only cut the grass, but also chop weeds, cut undergrowth of bushes and even thin tree trunks.
With regard to the size of the site, the situation is as follows:
The larger the area, the higher the engine power should be. For example, the lightweight and comfortable brushcutters Z 250 and Z 260 are good for small areas, they have power. 1.2 h.P. They will not pull a large meadow for 20-30 acres, for this, choose the models Z 420, Z 525, they have a power of 1.6 hp. And even 2.04 hp. The most powerful.
So, focusing on the area and vegetation:
- If the task is to mow only lawn grass (including high and wet), and a lawn for 5-10 acres, then your choice. Models Z 250 and Z 260;
- If you need to mow everything in a row on a plot of 10 acres (weeds, unnecessary shrubs and young shoots of trees that have grown without permission), then choose among the powerful brushcutters Z 340, Z 420;
- For professional work on large areas (20-30 acres), where you need to work with vegetation of different hardness and rigidity, focus on the most powerful representatives of the Hyundai lineup. Z 420 and Z 525.
So, you already understood that the adage is “Much ado about nothing.” it’s not about Hyundai brushcutters. The louder they are, the heavier the weight, the higher the mowing performance. As well as quality and efficiency, reliability and durability. And also a unique opportunity to mow grass not only on the local lawn, but also on vast territories, in the forest, in the field. In general, in any place where there is a need and opportunity to prepare grass mass.
To choose the required brushcutter, we determine the size of the site (for a small one. Low-power models, for a large one. More powerful). We also look at the growth: for grass, a light gasoline trimmer with a fishing line is enough, and for weeds and tough vegetation, we choose the Hyundai model with a steel shaft, in which you can change the fishing line to a knife.
Diagnosing magneto with a multimeter is a solution that can be implemented on your own with such a measuring device. In this case, you must do the following.
- Set the Meter to resistance mode and set to 200 ohms to test the primary winding.
- Connect the multimeter electrodes to the magneto ground and output contact. If the winding is intact, the resistance will vary from 0.4 to 2 ohms.
- Switch on the 20 kohm tester to perform a secondary diagnosis. In this case, the first probe is connected to the “mass”, and the second is installed in the spark plug cap. Normal values are at least 4-6 com. If the circuit is damaged, the tester will show infinity, and in the case of a short circuit, zero.
The exact data on what the tester should read during the primary and secondary winding check can be found in the instructions for use of the trimmer.
In order to fix a magneto with your own hands without involving specialists, you need to know how to disassemble it, and how to change the breaker contacts to new ones.
Trimmer ignition coil. Faults and repairs
Brushcutters are a popular seasonal tool designed to remove unwanted vegetation from your home. Like any other technique, these devices break down periodically. Repairing the trimmer ignition coil is one of the most common problems with gasoline braids. The ignition system itself is designed in the same way on two- and four-stroke internal combustion engines, so the elimination of breakdowns is performed almost the same for tools from different manufacturers, be it Lux, Huter, Husqvarna or another brand. Methods for restoring the performance of the ignition coil or replacing it with a new one. In the material below.
Replacing breaker contacts
After disassembling the magneto, it is necessary to remove the old breaker contacts and install the new ones correctly. To do this, you must:
- Move the latch, remove the cover from the breaker;
- Unscrew the screw holding the connecting conductor;
- Remove the screw securing the breaker plate to the magneto cover and remove it;
- Get the screw securing the breaker spring;
- Remove the lock washer from the axle, and then the lever with the cushion assembly, which it holds;
- Unscrew the screw securing the contact post, remove the part from the axle.
Assemble the assembly with new contacts in the reverse order.
If the magneto sparks intermittently, the contacts must be checked first. They could be burnt or oily. The carbon deposits found are cleaned with a file, and the oil is wiped off with suede, previously soaked in gasoline. The second possible cause of the problem is the adjustment of the gap between the contacts. To eliminate it, you need to set the correct distance.
If the spark appears intermittently, it may also mean that the breaker arm pad is worn. To eliminate the malfunction, you must change the lever to a new one. In addition, the clearance should be adjusted, as with another possible cause of breakdown. Misalignment of the outline.
Capacitor breakdown can also be the culprit for interruptions in spark formation. In such a situation, replacement of the damaged part is required, since it is impossible to repair and recharge it.
Before starting to diagnose magneto, you need to make sure that the problem is actually in this node. To do this, you need to check the entire chain and make sure that there are no other reasons for the breakage of the trimmer.
- First, you should carefully inspect the coil for cracks and other external defects on the case. Next, you need to examine all the elements and nodes that conduct current, and make sure that they are clean.
- The next step is to inspect the high voltage wires. They must be in good working order and securely attached to the contacts, free from rust and with intact insulation.
- The next step is to check the plug cap. As a result of careless actions, the user often tears it off the high-voltage wire, and then improvises and creates a homemade mount. You need to understand that any poor-quality connection in this place significantly reduces the power of the electric arc of the candle.
- Then you should make sure that the candle itself is in good working order. If you fill the brushcutter with poor quality gasoline, the service life of this part is significantly reduced. In addition, it may be flooded or have a large carbon deposit that interferes with operation. Sometimes the candle even sticks and doesn’t twist off.
- Next, you need to inspect the circuit breaker. On trimmers and chainsaws made in China, it often breaks.
After completing all these steps and excluding the listed nodes from the list of possible causes of failure, you should proceed to checking the coil. This can be done in several ways.