How To Disassemble A Screwdriver Chuck Video
How to disassemble a screwdriver? DIY screwdriver repair Repair of any equipment involves analysis. A screwdriver is a common unit, it is found in every home. Its breakdown occurs at any time and it is not always possible to contact the master. How to disassemble a screwdriver? You cannot do without this during the repair process. All units have an identical device, so the principle of work is approximately the same.
How to disassemble a screwdriver? DIY screwdriver repair
Repair of any equipment means analysis. A screwdriver is a common unit, it is found in every home. Its breakdown occurs at any time and it is not always possible to contact the master. How to disassemble a screwdriver? You cannot do without this during the repair process. All units have an identical device, so the principle of work is approximately the same.
The part, depending on the brand, has a different attachment to the shaft. There are few ways:
- Morse taper.
- The presence of a thread.
- Thread and screw for fixing.
There is useful information on the bottom of the appliance case. The instructions should be at hand. How to disassemble a threaded chuck:
- Release the clamps.
- Remove the screw by unscrewing it clockwise.
- The hexagon is fixed in the chuck and pressed (you should start or hit the unit). It’s easier to unscrew the part this way.
To disassemble the cartridge, it is worth removing the plugs, depending on the material (it is plastic or metal), a tool is selected. There are many problems with this component:
- The bolts do not fit perfectly.
- Clearance between bit and cam.
- The cams do not come out correctly.
Repair is carried out strictly according to the instructions, any deviations lead to a new breakdown:
- The cartridge must be disassembled.
- The flare nut is dismantled (it is double-sex).
- Remove the clamping jaws by unscrewing them.
- View fastener threads. In the event of a breakdown, the parts are changed.
- The cartridge is going. It is necessary to memorize the unwinding sequence so as not to make mistakes during recovery.
When the thread on a cam or nut breaks down, it is difficult to obtain a part. The only way out. Remove from another tool. Often, when a cartridge breaks, it is completely replaced. For the Vortex screwdriver, the parsing procedure is identical. When choosing a new part, the old one should be available for example.
How to repair?
Before disassembling a screwdriver, it is worthwhile to roughly estimate what the problem is. After the body is removed, the main units are disconnected. Do not violate the correctness of actions:
- The battery is removed.
- The screws securing the case are unscrewed. There are a lot of them in it, so every screw is carefully removed so as not to break the case.
- Detach the top. The entire inner set should be removed.
- Dismantle the button. This is the hardest part because it is fixed to the main propulsion system with wires. They cannot be torn or broken.
- Remove the speed switch.
- Dismantle the gearbox, engine, clutch, cartridge. Most often, you have to unscrew the fixing screws, you can not miss a single one.
Thus, the Vortex screwdriver and others are disassembled. The difference between the systems is negligible. The instruction is suitable for each model. After that, the repair begins.
For manufacturing, two materials are used: plastic, metal. To make repairs, you need to know how to remove the screwdriver gearbox. The gear has cylinders with internal teeth fixed along the entire perimeter. And the satellite is already moving along them. The motor transfers the rotational process and work begins. After detecting a breakdown, it is worth analyzing:
- Dismantle the cartridge.
- Remove all fixing fasteners on the body.
- Disconnect the wires from the gearbox to the engine.
- Remove the plates.
- Pull out every part in the body. Be sure to follow the sequence.
- To disassemble the gearbox itself into two parts, the fasteners are removed.
- Check spring for faster transmission.
- Remove the retaining ring, washer, bearing (this is a parsing of the coupling).
- Remove the shaft.
How to disassemble and assemble a screwdriver? To make the assembly easy, each part is arranged in order. When the operation of the screwdriver is accompanied by unusual noises, a breakdown of the gearbox gives such a change. After analysis, it will become clear what has become unusable. The bearings and support bush are usually replaced. If the engine stops after starting, the carrier or gearbox will have to be replaced. If the gear wears out, work is done with the gearbox. There are enough breakdowns, but sometimes it is enough to disassemble and lubricate. Do not do too much, otherwise the work will become of poor quality in the future.
Breakage and device
Before disassembling a screwdriver, it is worth examining its device. This includes a number of functional units:
- Starting system.
- Planetary reductor.
Each unit is housed in a durable material housing. There is a control button, a handle, a place for a battery. There are units on sale that can only work from an outlet. When starting at low rpm, a squeak appears. This is normal. When performing work, you should not worry about it becoming unusable.
There is a ratchet whose task is. Limit rotation when moving the chuck. The location is easy to understand. The ring is rotated. It helps to understand how deep the bolt or screw goes. If the work is carried out with soft material, then the fasteners sink there, sometimes it goes right through. Ratchet problem. Keep the tool in working order and do not cut off the screw caps.
Increasing the number allows you to make the revolutions frequent. The choice is made depending on the job. Often there is a drill icon on a screwdriver, which means that this function is applicable in work. When switching, the revolutions become maximum.
Cordless drill / driver Bort
Consider another example: 4 15 mm ½ 22 UNF. The inscription says that you can use bits with a diameter of 4 to 15 mm, ½ is the thread size in inches, 22 the number of threads (thread turns) in an inch.
Types of quick-clamping structures
- One-sleeve to carry out the installation of the bit, one hand is enough, since one of the parts of the body is fixed automatically.
- The two-clutch parts are both movable, and one of them must be held by hand so that it does not rotate.
If you need to replace the chuck on a screwdriver, it should be noted that single-sleeve are used only on tools with locks.
The material is plastic or metal. Plastic products are less reliable, but it is more convenient to work with them, since they weigh less.
Cordless drill-driver SPETS
How the cartridge works
Two basic designs are used.
- Cam fixation occurs with an L-shaped key inserted perpendicularly.
- Keyless for fixing it is necessary to clamp one cylinder of the body by hand, rotating the other cylinder around its own axis.
Cam lobes are less convenient, but provide a more reliable connection. When the key is turned, the adjusting sleeve compresses the steel cams until they close.
Quick-action clamps tighten faster. They don’t require a key.
BOSCH Cordless Drill Driver. Morse taper
In this case, using a hammer, the shank is knocked out of the tapered hole. If this fails, you will have to disassemble the tool and remove the shaft with the chuck from it. Then you will need to remove the clamping cylinder with a pipe wrench. Conventional nuts are rarely used on this assembly.
Methods for attaching the chuck to the screwdriver
- Morse taper. The method is named after inventor Stephen A. Morse in 1864. The essence of the method is to conjugate two surfaces in the form of a shaft and a part with a hole, which have the same taper with an angle from 125’43 ″ to 130’26 ″, depending on the size. This method is quite widespread and has proven to be simple and reliable.
- Threaded method. A thread is cut inside the chuck of the screwdriver, exactly the same thread is made on the working shaft of the tool. To tighten the cartridge, you just need to tighten it all the way, similar to the nut and bolt.
- Fixing screw. Used for additional fixation of the chuck on the shaft.
How to remove a chuck from a screwdriver or drill
Even the highest quality reliable and professional screwdriver wears out over time and every time it starts to hold drills, nozzles and bits worse and worse. To return the tool to its former power, let’s look at how to remove the cartridge from the screwdriver and what nuances you should pay attention to.
How to find out which method of mounting the cartridge
To find out what type of chuck mounting on your screwdriver, you need to carefully examine the tool markings. An inscription of the form: 1-6 B10 (may differ slightly) means that the cartridge is with a Morse taper. The numbers 1-6 indicate the diameter of the shank of the drill or bits, and B10 is the size of the Morse taper.
A cartridge with a threaded connection is marked with numbers: 1.0-11 M12x1.25. Symbols М12х1.25 mean the size of the metric thread, and 1.0-11 the diameter of the drill shank, similar to the Morse taper.
On imported models of screwdrivers, the thread is measured in inches, so do not be alarmed to see the marking of the form: 2-13 mm ½-20 UNF.
Both types of cartridges perform their task equally well, the only difference is in the convenience and speed of changing nozzles from a screwdriver.
How to disassemble a screwdriver chuck
To disassemble the screwdriver chuck, no special equipment is required, it is enough to have a few keys, a screwdriver, a hammer and, if possible, a vice on hand.
The design of the chuck is an empty metal cylinder with a special ring and sleeve for adjusting it. Inside the chuck there are jaws that fix drills or special nozzles. The chuck itself is put on the screwdriver shaft. The chuck can be threaded or tapered, depending on the type of shaft mounting. With the right guidance, disassembling the screwdriver chuck shouldn’t take long.
How to remove the chuck from the screwdriver correctly
There are several ways to remove the cartridge from the screwdriver, let’s take the first one:
- Take a 10mm Allen key;
- Clamp the key with the short end in the chuck;
- We turn on the screwdriver for a couple of seconds, so that the clamped key hits the table with the second end;
- We rotate the key and unscrew the screwdriver chuck.
The second way that professionals recommend:
- First you need to fully open the chuck jaws;
- There should be a screw inside the cartridge, if it is not visible, it may be covered with dirt;
- You need to unscrew this screw clockwise;
- Clamp the hex key in the chuck;
- Turn the key sharply counterclockwise;
- The chuck should unscrew easily, if not, you can lightly hit the end of the wrench with a hammer.
If none of the above methods work, you will have to disassemble the screwdriver and remove the spindle and gearbox from it along with the chuck. To do this, you need to clamp it in the pieces and unscrew the cartridge with an adjustable wrench. On some chucks there are special turnkey recesses, which greatly simplifies this process.
To remove the chuck from a screwdriver on a Morse taper, you need to knock it out with a hammer on the body.
These methods are suitable for disassembling the chuck in all types of screwdrivers, drills and hammer drills. We also recommend looking at how to disassemble the screwdriver chuck.
How to remove a cartridge from a screwdriver
A device such as a screwdriver has long ceased to be a professional tool and is actively used in everyday life. The tool periodically requires replacement of chucks for a screwdriver in cases of breakage or bit change. Since the models differ from each other, you need to know how to change the different views of this part.
How does it work
Chucks differ from each other in appearance, shape, thread and purpose, but in general they are a hollow cylinder equipped with a ring with an adjusting sleeve and pressure cams. Usually, the body is plastic, and the base and cams are made of metal (steel). Hex shanks are made entirely of steel.
The chuck is screwed to the screwdriver (on the shaft) using a thread or a cone, to the top of which nozzles are attached.
The design of the device is almost standard in most models.
How to remove / unscrew the chuck from the screwdriver?
This part can be removed and disassembled into components with your own hands. The dismantling process differs depending on the type of attachment.
We clamp the short end of the hex key in the chuck, turn on the device for a few seconds, hitting the key on any surface (for example, a table). After that, we turn the hexagon and unscrew the cartridge.
We unclench the cams of the mechanism, find the screw and unscrew it clockwise. Clamp the hexagon in the chuck, quickly turn it counterclockwise. After that, the chuck is easily unscrewed, otherwise you need to hit easily, for example, with a hammer, at the end of the hexagon
If it was not possible to remove the component in this way, we disassemble the screwdriver itself and take out the mechanism from it together with the gearbox and the spindle. For this, the device is clamped in a vice, and the cartridge is removed with an adjustable wrench.
Installing and replacing the cartridge
Installing a part is easier than removing it. To do this, we find out the way of fastening a thread or a cone and install it in accordance with it. Improvised means are usually not required for this.
Replacing the cartridge in case of its malfunction occurs according to the same principle: first, the old mechanism is removed, then a new one is selected taking into account the characteristics of the device, which is then installed in place.
How the cartridge is attached
Before removing the cartridge from the screwdriver, you need to find out how to attach it.
There are two types of attachment of the bit holder to the screwdriver:
- Morse taper. The chuck slides onto the shaft and snaps into place. This is a very reliable type of fastening.
- Thread. The part is simply screwed onto the shaft.
- Fixing screw. An additional connection that some manufacturers use in their models.
There is a mark on the screwdriver itself, which method of fastening is used in it. If a tapered connection is used, then the surface will have an inscription 1-6 B10, which means the diameter of the shank is 16 mm and the cone 10. Accordingly, a 10 hexagon is required to remove it.
Marking for threads 1.0-11 M12 × 1.25. The first two digits indicate the diameter of the drill shank, the digits after the letter M are the thread size. On imported devices, labels are given in inches, so they may differ from the above.
Dismantle the cartridge
Dismantling is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- Detach the mechanism from the base of the screwdriver;
- Disassemble into components;
- We separate the gearbox and the plate;
- Unscrew the bolts on the gearbox elements;
- Using pliers, reduce the diameter of the spring;
- Removing in turn the elements of the regulating clutch (stopper, washers, bearing), we disassemble it;
- We separate the shaft.
In this way, the part is completely disassembled into its components.