How to Disassemble a Trimmer Bobbin
In this manual, we will step by step analyze the entire replacement process. Looking ahead, there are two ways to tackle the trimmer spool with fishing line. There is no fundamental difference – the difference is that in the first case there will be one fishing line, folded in half, and in the second there will be two lines of such lines.
Disassemble the trimmer spool
For clarity, the mowing head (spool) was removed from the lawn mowers. To replace the fishing line, you do not need to remove it, everything is done locally. It does not take much time.
We disassemble the trimmer spool – it rests on the latches-latches. Remove the cover by pressing on the latches. If you do not have enough effort with your hands, then use a screwdriver.
The spool consists of the following:
- Spring housing
- Locking lid
- Button Coil
The principle of action is as follows. By pressing the button, the coil presses on the spring and exits the locking grooves in the spool cover. While holding the coil in this state, you can twist, thereby adjusting the length of the fishing line. When you release the button, the housing spring returns the coil to its original fixed state.
Disassembled Trimer Spool
Bottom on the coil there are several holes for different diameters of the lines. Different trimmer manufacturers may vary. In some cases (as here) they are signed, in others not.
These holes are needed to fix the fishing line when replacing it. After winding on a woman’s fishing line, the ends of the latter are inserted into them. This is necessary so that the scaffold does not unwind at the time of installation of the coil in the trimmer housing. In other words, it facilitates the replacement of fishing line.
Fishing Line Holes
There are models without specifying the diameter of the consumable. Then, in order to find out what the maximum diameter of the scaffold can be used, it is tried on through the holes for withdrawing fishing line from the body of the trimmer spool (see figure below).
Fitting on fishing line outlets
The reel has two sections for fishing line, separated by a partition. They may not be. They are needed only to distinguish and facilitate winding of the consumable.
Two sections for fishing line
Initially determined with the required length of the loess. The latter is wound in one of the sections of the coil so that it does not go beyond its limits. In this case, 3 mm was wound, the length was about 2 meters. Those. For two sections you will need a 4 meter cut – this is for the 1st method. For the second method, you need two segments of 2 meters.
Determination of the required length of fishing line
Now you need to figure out which side you need to wind it. To do this, many manufacturers of trim tabs on the coils apply special designations such as in the figure below.
Special designation on the reel
If such designations were not found, then you need to pay attention to the body of the spool. There is without fail an arrow that indicates the movement of the mowing head. The line is wound in the opposite direction.
Designation on the spool housing
Bent in half fishing line
The prepared segment (in this case, 4 meters) is bent approximately in half – one segment should be 15-20 cm longer and inserted into a special slot located on the dividing partition.
The fishing line is inserted into the slot
In a previously defined direction, a fishing line is wound. This is done in a tight fit, the line is neatly distributed. In this case, you need to wind a segment that is longer in the section that is closer to the button.
There are designs in which the division of the coil into two sections is not provided. This does not change anything, the fishing line is wound in a similar way. It is only necessary to ensure that the segments do not overlap among themselves.
The first segment that ends at the bottom of the coil, i.E. One that is closer to the fixing holes.
This tip is placed in the corresponding diameter hole. The fishing line is firmly fixed.
The fishing line is firmly fixed
A long section is wound another half turn. There it is fixed in a similar way. In this case, the segment crosses another section of the coil.
A long section is wound another half turn
The fixed ends of the wound fishing line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool housing.
The fixed ends of the wound fishing line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool housing
The coil is attached to the body. The ends of the fishing line are pulled with force so that the fishing line previously fixed in the holes of the reel springs out. This is easily determined by the characteristic sound (click).
The ends of the fishing line pull
The button coil is latched into the trimmer spool housing.
Coil with button snap into the trimmer spool housing
Replacing the fishing line was successful. In this case, you need to install it back on the trimmer and you can start mowing the grass.
It should be repeated, you do not need to remove the spool from the trimmer – this was done to make the process of replacing the fishing line easier. You can disassemble the spool in place, wrap it on a reel and put it back.
Successfully replacing fishing line
The tips so that they do not hit the trim cover can and should be trimmed.
Method 2 – two segments
Two wound lengths of fishing line
Method number 2 fundamentally no different from method number 1. The only difference is the two winded pieces of fishing line, instead of one.
The end of each segment is bent
The end of each segment is bent.
Two special locking sockets
There are two special locking sockets on the coil (see figure above).
Start winding the fishing line
They hook onto it with a hook formed earlier on the fishing line, and begin to wind the fishing line.
Winding is carried out in a special order.
The winding should be carried out in the following order: first the bottom line, i.E. The one that is closer to the fixing holes at the bottom of the coil, and only then the upper one, i.E. One that will overlap the bottom section.
Video: How to Disassemble a Trimmer Bobbin
The bottom line is wound
The tips are made into the holes in the body of the trimmer spool. They are pulled up to a click, which indicates that the line has come out of the clips.
The tips are threaded into the holes of the trimmer spool housing
The coil is fastened into the housing. The fishing line in the spool is replaced.
The fishing line in the spool is replaced
VIDEO: How to wind a fishing line on a mowing head trimmer or lawn mowers
How to wind a line onto a mowing head of a trimmer or lawn mowing machine
Replacing the fishing line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
Feedback from our readers is very important to us. Leave your rating in the comments with the argument for your choice. Your opinion will be useful to other users.
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs – both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- A bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- Eyes – through them the fishing line comes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- The fishing line does not automatically extend;
- The cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1 – a bite occurred, i.E. Clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2 – too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3 – fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.