How to Fill a Fishing Line With Champion Trimmer Spool
In most designs of the cutting block of electric trimmers and gasoline analogues, a special fishing line is used, otherwise called a cord or string. This cutting tool is considered a consumable and must be replaced after a certain period of use. Read about which fishing line for the trimmer is better. read below.
What fishing line to choose by trimmer power
If it is not possible to determine the characteristics of the cord, it is necessary first of all to be guided by the rated power of the lawn mowers. This parameter is indicated in the documents for the device and is measured in kilowatts (kW) or horsepower (hp).
- Electric trimmers with power up to 0.5 kW (500 t) are used for mowing grass in summer cottages and household plots. Often they are unable to cope with hard, dry plant stems and shrubs. For them, the ideal indicator of the diameter of the fishing line will be no more than 1.6 mm.
- Petrol and electric devices with power from 500 to 1000 (0.5. 1.0 kW) designed for cutting grass and shrubs in medium-sized areas. The moment of rotation of the head in such models is significantly higher, which allows the use of a fishing line for a 2.4 mm trimmer.
- Powerful brush cutters and lawn mowers with power from 1000 watts are used to work with large volumes of work to cut any grass and shrubs. The torsion moment of the mowing head is enough to cut thick weeds, bushes and stems. For such productive models, an excellent option would be a fishing line for a 3 mm trimmer, which is able to solve any issues related to the removal of unwanted vegetation.
Cords for trimmers with a cross section of more than 3 mm are used extremely rarely and are suitable exclusively for heavy-duty industrial devices.
Criterias of choice
Different manufacturing companies use different consumables for the manufacture of woods. To make the right and thoughtful choice, you need to know its main criteria.
Almost all lawn mowers use cords of 1.4-4.0 mm. However, before you get this or that fishing line, do not be too lazy to look into the technical characteristics of the device to find out what thickness of the cord it is designed for.
Important! If the thread is too thin, this can lead to premature engine wear. The use of excessively thick cord (more than 4 mm) leads to increased friction. The result is the same. the engine wears out quickly or burns out. Needless to say that this happens at the most inopportune moment!
The approximate cord thickness can be determined, depending on the power source:
- For lawn mowers with power up to 1 kW, operating on battery or mains, the maximum thickness of the fishing line is 2 mm.
- The optimal thickness of the fishing line for lawn mowers with a power of 0.5 kW is 1.5 mm.
- The thickness of the cord for gasoline appliances is 2.4-3.0 mm. With its help, you can cut not only grass, but also shrubs. Exploiting such a cord is much more profitable. If only because it is stronger, and you won’t have to change it often.
The composition, or from which they make the fishing line for the trimmer:
- The most common material for woods is nylon. This is a wear-resistant material that withstands mechanical stress and quite significant temperature differences. Nylon retains its strength characteristics for a long time.
- Coaxial thread is even stronger than nylon. Its validity is much longer.
- Now on sale are fishing lines with aluminum impregnation. Customer reviews about them are positive.
The most practical option is a round section. Compared with other varieties, such a cord is relatively inexpensive. over, the quality of mowing is very good. But the round fishing line has a drawback. a lot of noise during the operation of the tool. This problem can be solved if you purchase a fishing line with a spiral configuration. In addition, there are square, star and rectangular cords for sale.
Important! Fishing lines with sharp jagging along the edges do better with grass.
A special conversation is about cords with dents and grooves along the entire length. The thickness of this fishing line is 4 mm. It is used in addition to a powerful lawn mowing for overgrown and neglected areas. In this case, the sound from the trimmer is not very strong.
Video: How to Fill a Fishing Line With Champion Trimmer Spool
Important! Twisted fishing line is indispensable for mowing dead wood. It has a circular cross section and an inner insert of another material. The cord has considerable strength even with a relatively small (1.4 mm) thickness. Such a thread can only be used on a lawn mower. The cost of fishing line is quite high. It is not purchased for permanent use, but if you need to perform urgent difficult work in 1-2 days.
There are a lot of types of fishing line, you can not pay attention to the color. as such, there are no general “color-characteristic” standards. An important factor is the type of cross section of the string, it is chosen depending on the type of grass.
- The circle is a universal fishing line. Smooth when mowing is characterized by an increased noise level, twisted, on the contrary, mows quieter, but is consumed faster (like any type of twisted fishing line).
- Square or polygon. Such a fishing line is more effective than a round one. sharp corners cut stems faster and better.
- Asterisk, ribbed or twisted square. It has maximum efficiency and cutting speed.
It’s important to know! It is strictly forbidden to use metal wire, cables or rods instead of fishing line. Such equipment easily cuts even leather shoes and can seriously injure the operator.
After you have chosen the right cord, you just have to remove the worn part, clean the trimmer from dirt and grass, refill the fishing line and you can begin to improve the summer cottage.
The main parameters of the trimmer line
Fishing lines can be classified according to the following parameters:
- Thread thickness;
- Sectional shape;
- The composition of the fishing line.
You can learn about it by reading the operating characteristics of the trimmer or by orienting yourself in the dimensions and inscriptions on the universal bobbin. Typically, trimmers use yarns with a diameter of 1.2-4 mm. True, for each device you will have to pick up a fishing line of a certain diameter.
The thread for the trimmer, thinner than required, the engine will not immediately fail, although it will significantly increase its wear. If you use a thread thicker than necessary, the rotation resistance will increase, the engine will work more intensively, overheat and, as a result, will break. True, a lot depends on the engine itself.
You can also find out the approximate diameter of the fishing line for the machine by the type of engine. If the trimmer is powered by electricity or a battery and its power is 1 kW, you will need a cutting thread with a diameter of 2 mm, and if its power is less than 500 W, use a fishing line of no more than 1.6 mm.
For a gas trimmer, a fishing line is chosen with a certain diameter of 2.4. 3 mm. The choice of such a thick fishing line is associated with the features of gasoline units. they are more powerful and more productive than their electrical counterparts. You can operate a thick fishing line for a long time, in addition, it can easily overcome long-term dead wood.
The most often chosen fishing line for an electric braid with a circular cross section. It is inexpensive and the most popular, mows fresh grass well. Its main drawback is the published noise level, which is heard during the operation of the trimmer. The noise of fishing line in intensity is close to the hum of the engine. For the best noise reduction, manufacturers suggest using a spiral fishing line.
Today also produce a square line for the trimmer. Of the other forms, rectangular and star-shaped are quite common. Fishing lines with notches and sharp edges are especially productive. Such faces cut grass evenly.
There are also options for fishing line with notches and dents. They can mow large weeds. The noise level produced by such a fishing line is low, and due to the increased aerodynamic properties, the trimmer is given additional power. Such a cutting element is installed on powerful trimmers, which are planned to work on overgrown, neglected areas.
To work with a fishing line of this type, special heads are installed on the lawn mower. A fishing line is wound on them. She copes with herbs of all kinds (especially weeds) and shrubs. But its cost is quite high. The consumption of such fishing line is also high, since when feeding from the reel, difficulties may arise with its extraction. It is usually used with discs that are inserted in small pieces.
There is also a two-component twisted trimmer fishing line. Its purpose is high-quality mowing dead wood. It features a round cross-section, tear resistance and increased strength. It comes with a core made from another material. Twisted fishing line is suitable only for gas trimmers. She is able to cope even with small bushes. Its main disadvantage is its high cost. For daily work, getting a twisted fishing line is quite expensive.
The composition of the fishing line
It is the composition that determines the life of the fishing line. Often it is made of nylon. It wears out slowly and improves productivity at high temperatures and high loads. The material retains its working properties for a long time, low temperatures do not affect it, as well as continuous operation.
The line of the coaxial group for trimmers is considered one of the strongest. It has a dense core, and therefore wears out gradually. Such a fishing line is difficult to cut with a knife and creates little noise during operation. Also now there is a fishing line, which includes blotches of aluminum.
Varieties of fishing line in shape. what it affects and why they are different
Initially, the fishing line was produced only in a round shape, but soon other modifications began to appear. square, hexagonal, star-shaped and others. They also differ in color, but the color does not affect anything, except for the visibility of the cutting equipment during operation.
The shape of the string affects the type of mowing grass. The shape of the cord are:
- Round. this is a common form, which is also considered universal. The round shape of the string is divided into smooth and with turns. If a smooth string is distinguished by its noise, then a twisted string works quieter, but its accelerated consumption is observed.
- Square and hexagonal. the presence of sharp corners provides a more efficient cut of vegetation, which must be taken into account when processing large areas
- Ribbed and star-shaped. cut different types of stems even more efficiently and reduce the load on the engine
Some craftsmen, when the fishing line is used up, replace it with steel wire or a metal string, which is unacceptable. The wire is not only capable of cutting thick mowing shoes, but can also be wound on the head, which will lead to its jamming with the shaft. A jammed head will result in wear of the transmission mechanism and power unit.