How to insert line into a Stihl mower
How to fill a line in a lawn mower: how to change and load into a reel, how to change and how much to wind into a trimmer
When spring comes, people often spend their free time at their summer cottage. They try to rid their area of problems such as weeds and grass with the onset of warm days. It is difficult to do this manually, especially if the area is very large, so a lawn mower will help. Thanks to this technique, you can trim the grass and remove weeds. it is a suitable device for mowing unnecessary plants near the fence, at home, between rows in the garden on a flower bed, and so on. Read about how to choose the right mower for your needs here. The cutting element in this device is a fishing line (strong polyethylene thread), which is wound on a special element. a spool. But over time, the line wears out and it becomes necessary to replace it. The article will talk about how to fill the line in a lawn mower.
Which line to choose to refuel the lawn mower
The thickness of the polyethylene thread depends on the model of equipment and varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. She may be:
- with a round cross-section. this is the most durable material for mowing grassy plants;
- with a curly section. used for mowing soft plants;
- twisted. used for thin grass;
- professional type, not suitable for all models of equipment.
To change the line on a lawn mower, you need to purchase a cutting thread that will be ideal for the type of mower.
You can soak the thread in a bowl of water for a few minutes to increase elasticity and strength.
To quickly and safely change the line on the reel of the mower, it is necessary to observe safety precautions. Before removing the reel to wind the line around the mower, the technician must be disconnected from the power supply (if the mower is powered by electricity). Here I would like to mention the reliability rating of electric lawn mowers, which will help you choose a safe helper.
Another important safety rule that must be observed is pressing the lock button. You can find out its location on the vehicle body using the operating manual. For example, you can find the operating instructions for the manual petrol lawn mower here.
Do not forget that the cutting element needs to be adjusted. There is an adjustment button on the body of the unit. If the process does not start automatically and the thread tension has been released, then the button is clamped, and the fishing line is pulled out of the spool with force.
Remember that changing your mower’s line is an important and responsible process. It is necessary to carry out everything in stages, and only special polyethylene fishing line should be inserted into the spool. An iron cable, some high quality wire, or even a reinforced fishing line will not work here.
Watch the video instruction.
Line arrangement in the mower
The device of the element on which the nylon thread is wound is very simple. This element is called a coil. It has two “tracks”. the upper and the lower. Between these tracks there is a special partition with a recess. A fishing line is wound on these tracks. It must first be pulled through the recess.
In order to be able to pull out the coil without obstacles, it is necessary to unscrew the special button, which is located on the mower body.
Features of replacing fishing line on video.
Replacement instructions. how to insert the line
It should be noted that the reels in mowers can be different:
- for functioning with one antenna;
- for functioning with two antennae;
- the line must be threaded through the through hole, which is located inside the element.
And do not confuse this part with an extension cord for a lawn mower on a reel, because despite the similar name, these are two completely different elements.
The mini chainsaw is designed for light work and people who prefer to hold the device with one hand.
This article will tell you about how much the ZIL 130 dump truck weighs and what this transport is capable of.
Read here //machinspec.com/lesozagotovitelnaya/benzopila/stanok-dlya-zatochki.html how to assemble a machine for sharpening chainsaw chains with your own hands quickly and easily.
In the first option, winding the cutting element is very simple:
- There is a locking tab on the inside of the spool element.
- One tendril of thread is inserted into it.
- It is necessary to thread the nylon thread in the direction opposite to the rotation of the spool element.
- You will need only 2 to 4 meters of fishing line. When the winding process is complete, put the small end of this cutting element outward and fix it in the groove, which is necessary for fixing the line so that it does not unwind during the operation of the mower.
- If there is no special groove, then the end should be held by hand so that the cutting element does not unwind during further assembly of the element.
- At the last stage, it is necessary to thread the outer end of the thread into a special hole located on the outer part of the element. The spool can then be inserted into the mower.
When the roller is working with both ends of the plastic filament, then the following steps must be taken to thread the line into the mower:
- Inside, on the spool, you will see how many slots there are for winding (two or one). If there is only one groove, then both ends of the thread will be guided through this groove. If there are two of them, then the antennae are laid out separately. each in its own notch.
- It is necessary to unwind from 2 to 4 meters of polyethylene thread and thread its two ends into the hole.
- Wind both threads in the opposite direction to the rotation of the drum.
- When all the line is wound, the ends should be fixed in the grooves or held by hand.
- Both ends are threaded into the eyelet from the outside of the roller housing.
- The drum is then collected and inserted into the mower.
Tips and steps for changing the line on video.
To insert line into a lawnmower that has two grooves on the spool, you must use the previous threading method for this polyethylene thread. In this case, each of the ends of the line will be wound along its own groove. All other actions are similar to the previous process.
The spool element or roller can have a completely different design from the previous two options. The line can be threaded through the eyelet, which is through and located inside the reel. In this case, you do not need to disassemble the roller drum and manually wind the polyethylene thread.
The polyethylene thread is threaded through the hole and rotated by pressing a special button. This button is located on the body and is intended for the operation of the technique, so that it is possible to release the line as it wears out.
Do not worry that the polyethylene thread will wind in the wrong direction, since in this design it can only spin in one direction.
If you have a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then for the convenience of cleaning grass and weeds, you must use a lawn mower. In case you are thinking of choosing an electric lawn mower or a gasoline one, then click here and you will find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the line on the mower wears out and needs to be replaced. you can do this yourself. The choice of this polyethylene thread is necessary depending on the model of the mower. It is also worth keeping an eye on the rest of the unit’s details, here, for example, you will find information about Craftsman lawn mower knives, which also wear out and can lead to irreversible consequences.
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix this shaft. To do this, in similar trimmers, for example, in the Huter and Champion devices, there is a hole through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 easy steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start turning it clockwise. Turn in this direction for the reason that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press on the latches (latches) located on both sides.
- Removing the cover reveals a spool that needs to be removed from the case. Some spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- When you remove the bobbin, you will see a slotted screw for a Phillips or flathead screwdriver in the center of the case. It is possible that there may be a hex bolt or an “asterisk” bit.
- Using a screwdriver, selecting the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
Some spools provide a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or loading a new thread into the spool, determine how many meters it will take using the method described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the bobbin for the line to be fixed, and insert the looped end of the thread into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level not exceeding the spool diameter.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the head is no different from the method that was given when threading the bobbin with a half-folded piece of fishing line was considered.
For Shtil lawn mowers, there is a very simple and quick way to replace the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can familiarize yourself with by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length when the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- turning on the trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut against the knife fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if it was necessary to supply a large diameter cord, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been loaded into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head, when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not lengthen automatically. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on an electrical device, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force, if you set the maximum spindle speed.
Regardless of the thickness of the line you set, you should remember: in order not to constantly interrupt work and not change the line, you should avoid areas where the working tool can touch hard surfaces (stones, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
How to change the line in the trimmer
The trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is distinguished by its simplicity in service, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can handle it. It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers. Nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it must be replaced. In this article, we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
The cord does not feed, the reel does not spin
An automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the line without stopping the unit. But if it does not come out, then the reasons may be as follows:
- the fishing line is incorrectly wound in the reel, due to which the latter does not spin;
- the cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between the turns (the thread should be wound neatly, turn to turn, without distortions);
- too short ends of the thread come out of the holes, as a result of which there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line is not fed (it is recommended to always adjust the length of the cord before starting the unit, pulling it slightly);
- the line is stuck together (will be discussed later).
If the line breaks frequently, this may be due to the following reasons:
- stones, small branches and other solid obstacles come across in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, then it breaks off the “antennae” even faster;
- poor quality of the cord (it is recommended to purchase a high-quality one);
- the outlet holes in the mowing head are worn out, due to which the line is erased on the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks off (a complete replacement of the part is required).
High cord consumption
In general, the cord runs out quickly if the semi-automatic head is tapped frequently on the ground or if it is pressed down hard. The spool is unlocked, and the line, lengthening, is cut with a knife. Another reason that the cord runs out quickly is improper operation of the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine speed when mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed in such a way that it is with each decrease in speed that a new portion of the line is supplied, so it is quickly consumed.
Trimmer head with automatic line threading
Trimmer head types
Some models on the market have a reel with an automatic winding mechanism. It is enough for the owner to properly thread and fix the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on. It is almost impossible to wind the line incorrectly into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae. The advantages of an automatic trimmer head include ease of threading the line, and the disadvantages are frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
How to properly tuck the line into the Makita trimmer
Threading the line into the trimmer spool is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a specific procedure. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable is enough, wind it around the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Having decided on the length of the cord, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should be started from the center board, which divides the trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last in half.
- Determine in which direction you want to wind the line. To do this, take a closer look at the bobbin, which may contain an arrow or an inscription. She indicates the side of the winding. If there are no markings on the reel, then look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind in the opposite direction.
- The consumables should be washed carefully, turn to turn. Try to stick to the maximum thread tension.
- After completing the lining, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into a groove on the side of the coil that fits in diameter. The other end (longer), attach in the groove on the other side of the trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the fishing line, cut off the ends. Do not forget to leave allowances of about 10 cm.
- Place the loaded bobbin onto the mowing head of the device. To do this, you need to alternately insert and pull the thread into the outlet holes of the head, in order to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- Using the required force, pull the cord out of the locking grooves and tighten the material. After completing this step, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding of the line to the spool
Trimmer line reload on Stihl Auto Spool
You can also wind the cord on the trimmer in another way, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. The replacement is done like this:
- Bend one end of the cord into a crochet hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin to hold the line in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the device head is similar to the first method.
How to wind line on a trimmer
You don’t need to have any special skills to reel in a gas or electric trimmer. To begin with, it is important to decide on a suitable consumable, and then choose the best method. There are two different ways to load the line into the spool of the device.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a cover, a spring (not available in every model), a bobbin with a cord, and a cover. Before proceeding with the disassembly of the coil of the electrical unit, be sure to disconnect the trimmer from the mains. The disassembly method depends on the attachment of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the spool. remove it from the body. Some trimmer spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the line to the reel
Single-barbed trimmer spool
Single-barb lawn mowers reel
Many owners and specialists note the ease of use and ease of refueling the bobbin with one mustache. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the threaded line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and the winding is carried out in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most reels have arrow marks on the outside of the body that indicate the direction of travel of the trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to increase the centrifugal force, which is decisive when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We pass the left end through the working hole of the coil and assemble the head.
Trimmer head with two antennae
Head with two flutes
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the fishing line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems. Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
Changing the line in the trimmer: 2 easy ways
A trimmer is a necessary and useful tool for a summer cottage and a private house. Many people own and actively use it, but not everyone knows how to replace the line in the trimmer, especially at first.
In this manual, we’ll walk through the entire replacement process step by step. Looking ahead, there are two ways to line the trimmer spool. There is no fundamental difference. the difference lies in the fact that in the first case one line will be refueled, folded in half, and in the second there will be two such lines.