How to Install a Gland on a Trimmer
When a leak appears in the area of the crankshaft seals (cuffs), the question arises of replacing them. Ignoring this breakdown can make the problem even worse. Leaking oil will become stronger over time, which will lead not only to the need to constantly add it, but will also provoke the failure of engine parts.
Causes of Breakdown
Often, the root oil seal has a working resource equal to 150 thousand kilometers. But it can happen that it will be damaged ahead of schedule. There are several main reasons why radial cuffs, whether front or rear, can be damaged: engine overheating, use of inappropriate lubricants, engine operation without timely replacement of oil and filter.
Tool and fixtures
To carry out the repair process you will need:
- Tank for draining oil from the crankcase;
- A set of curly and flat screwdrivers;
- Set of wrenches (spanners, spanners, heads);
- Hammer and mandrel.
The entire replacement process can be done independently, adhering to the correct sequence of technological stages of repair work. The methods of dismantling and installing new radical cuffs are described below on the example of the VAZ “nine”.
Change the radial front oil seal
Initially, we install the car on a viewing ditch or overpass and de-energize the on-board network by removing the negative terminal from the battery. We unscrew the drain plug from the engine sump and drain the oil. For convenient access to engine parts, the front right wheel can be removed. When work is not carried out alone, in parallel, you can begin to dismantle the generator and its drive.
In the future, we remove the ratchet from the crankshaft – we unscrew the fastening bolt and tighten it using two screwdrivers. If the ratchet key does not hold firmly on the shaft, it is recommended that it be removed as well. Then we remove the oil receiver from the motor. To do this, unscrew the two bolts of its fastening to the boss of the crankshaft bearing and one to the oil pump. Then we dismantle the oil pump itself by unscrewing six bolts. Now we have access to the cuff. Using a powerful flat-head screwdriver, we take out the main oil seal of the engine from its landing in the pump cover.
Installing a new radial seal
Immediately before mounting a new part, we thoroughly flush the cap in gasoline and wipe it with a rag. The cuff seat is pre-lubricated with a thin layer of engine oil. Observing the correct location of the gland in the cover, install it in place.
There is another, more operational way to replace the lip seal. But he is a little risky. The basis of the method is the lack of need to remove the sump, oil receiver and oil pump. The cuff changes directly on the engine. The disadvantage of this method is the inconvenience of the work. In addition, there is a possibility that the oil seal will not be pressed enough into the oil pump cover. There is a risk of damage to the glossy finish of the crankshaft – accordingly, there is the possibility of new leaks.
Such kind of spare parts for VAZ should be chosen with special attention and preferably only from authorized dealers. Otherwise, you can purchase and install a low-quality part on the car, which will lead to its rapid wear. In turn, this will entail certain additional time and financial costs.
Change the rear radical oil seal
As a rule, the replacement of the back cuff is carried out along with the replacement of the front.
After dismantling the rear clutch shield. We unscrew the bolts of the rear cover of the crankcase in an amount of eight pieces and remove it. We remove the cuff body from the motor, for convenience, you can use a screwdriver by tucking it away from the crankcase. Now you can carefully remove the old root oil seal. It is worth noting that a large number of various covers and parts are made of aluminum alloy, so you need to be careful about them so as not to add problems in the form of buying a new part.
Mounting a new seal part
Before installing a new seal, wipe the landing seat with a rag and lubricate it with oil. Using a mandrel with a diameter of ninety-nine millimeters and a hammer, we press in a new rear cuff into place.
Install the stuffing box on the engine
In order not to damage the main oil seal during installation, put a layer of oil on the surface of the crankshaft flange.
As you can see, it is quite possible to repair a car with such a characteristic breakdown. To do this, you only need free time, a suitable tool and high-quality spare parts for the VAZ, without which repairs can be considered inferior. It is more convenient to deal with the procedure with a partner. But if it is not there, you can do it yourself.
Video: How to Install a Gland on a Trimmer
Why is there an oil seal in the washer? Thanks to this element, water from the drum cavity is not allowed to enter the bearings. Diagnostics of an element and, if necessary, its replacement are rather labor-intensive procedures that require good skill and knowledge in the field of construction of an automatic machine. You can put the gland in the washing machine yourself, but before that you need to carefully study the manual for action and the main problem in disassembling the unit.
What is the oil seal for?
The role of this element cannot be underestimated, it acts as a kind of seal between the drum and the shaft. The oil seal prevents liquid from entering the washer shaft and bearings. The part looks very simple – it is a rubber ring having a certain diameter.
Manufacturers of washing equipment use oil seals of various sizes when assembling automatic machines, the diameter of the ring depends on the specific model of the washing machine and on the design features of the unit tank. Therefore, before buying an item, it is recommended to disassemble the machine, remove it from the case, this will allow you to understand what type of oil seal you need for installation.
How and how to lubricate the seal?
The stuffing box, due to its location in the system and its role, is constantly subjected to friction, the influence of temperature differences. This effect is negative for the sealant, after a long operation, cracks may appear on the rubber, this will undoubtedly lead to loss of function of the part. That is why the oil seal should be protected in a timely manner, namely, lubricate its surface. Periodic use of special greases will significantly extend the life of the element.
How to lubricate the ring? When choosing the right composition, be sure to carefully study its properties. High-quality grease must meet certain requirements.
- Be moisture resistant. It should contain organic particles, characterized by a water-repellent effect.
- Have good heat resistance. The side of the seal adjacent to the drum will overheat during the friction process, so it is very important that the lubricant does not lose properties after heating.
- Do not have aggressive components: chlorine and other elements that can damage or destroy the surface of the ring.
- Have a thick consistency. This is necessary for a dense coating of the rubber of the sealant, the gland bush. Bearings can also be machined.
Answering the question of users: “How to lubricate a part?”, We present several options for lubricants for washing machines.
- The lubricant for the stuffing box in the HYDRA-2 syringe from the Italian manufacturer has an operating temperature of 18 ° C to 190 ° C, extends the life of the part up to 10 years. It is characterized by anti-corrosion, water-repellent properties. The average cost is 150 rubles.
- Grease for O-ring HYDRA-2, 50 gr., In the tube. Similar to the previous substance, it has only an excellent release form. The price for a tube of declared volume is about 420 rubles.
- Waterproof grease SKL EBI Characterized by a temperature of use up to 140 ° C, the average cost of a package weighing 50g. – 380 rubles.
- SKL EBI398 waterproof lithium grease is suitable for treating washer seals and bearings. Operating temperature from 30 ° C to 120 ° C. It has a thick consistency, does not contain aggressive substances, has excellent moisture resistance. The average price is 430 rubles per tube.
The lubricants specified in this list have excellent characteristics, tested and recommended by professionals.
How to understand that it is time to change a sealant?
Several signs can indicate that the oil seal is out of order. First of all, during the washing process an uncharacteristic noise, an unpleasant rattle will be heard. In addition, the details indicate the inoperability:
- Machine vibrations and an incomprehensible knock coming from the inside;
- Backlash of the drum, you can check it yourself, after washing, spin the drum manually;
- The cessation of rotation of the drum, it completely stops spinning.
Having noticed at least one of the described signs, it is better to immediately study the condition of the omentum. If you ignore the symptoms and continue to use the machine further, the likelihood that the bearings will collapse completely will be almost one hundred percent.
To install a new oil seal, you will have to completely disassemble the washing machine. This will require a standard set of tools that is available in every home. The parsing algorithm includes the following actions:
- Disconnect the top cover from the housing, for this, unscrew the bolts holding it, located on the rear wall of the unit;
- Unscrew the bolts located around the perimeter of the rear of the case and carefully remove the back wall;
- Tighten the drive belt, the procedure is most easily performed by rotating the shaft with your free hand;
- Remove the cuff encircling the hatch door; for this, disconnect the metal ring holding the rubber seal;
- Disconnect the wires from the heating element and the electric motor, not forgetting to disconnect the ground;
- Remove all hoses and nozzles attached to the tank;
- Separate the water intake level sensor;
- Remove the shock absorbers and springs supporting the drum;
- Remove the counterweights located inside the case;
- Remove the machine motor, for this, unscrew the fixing bolts and move the engine forward;
- Pull out the drum tank from the machine;
- Open the tank body, gaining access to the drum using a hexagon, unscrew the pulley.
Having carried out the analysis, you will open access to the gland, sleeve, bearings. It is very easy to remove the o-ring, just pry it off with a screwdriver. Next, you need to inspect the elements of the system, if replacement is needed – put a new gland. To do this, it is desirable to lubricate well not only the installed parts, but also the seat.
It is important to install the removed ring correctly. The question may arise, which side to put the gland? This question is really important, so carefully inspect the seal. If it does not have any factory marks, install it so that it closes the niche most tightly in which the moving elements of the bearing are located. Water must not get inside.
Do I use silicone sealant in my work? It is useful in the case when the washing tank was not separable, and in order to gain access to the stuffing box and bearings, it had to be cut. Sealing and back gluing of the tank will become a necessary measure during the subsequent assembly of the machine.