How To Insulate A Dog House For The Winter With Your Own Hands
Many dog experts believe that a warmed kennel is only required for a dog if it belongs to a short-haired or smooth-haired breed. More fluffy animals can tolerate cold winters. A warm undercoat provides warmth for a four-legged friend.
This article will describe the different methods of how to prepare a dog booth for a cold period.
The main stages of insulation kennels
Many wonder how to insulate a dog booth for the winter. Do not forget that our four-legged friends also need good care and comfortable living conditions. Let’s take a look at how and with what to insulate a dog box for the winter. The instruction and the detailed description of the process will help us in this important matter.
The first step is to start working from the inside. To this end, a material that protects against cold is placed under the outer layer of the skin. He hides with the help of plywood or wall paneling.
The inner lining must necessarily fit snugly to the insulation. At the same time be careful that he does not get out from under it. Otherwise, cold air will flow into your pet’s house, which already poses a risk to the health of the dog.
If the ceiling at the kennel has a folding structure, then you will need to lay additional material. If you are new to this business, be sure to study all the necessary information, as well as consider the drawings, which explain in detail how to warm the dog house for the winter. Photos of such structures show that there is nothing difficult in the process of their creation.
The roof lining is made of two or three layers. Metal, plastic or bitumen is perfect for roofing. Protecting the booth from the cold is complex in nature and is carried out using different materials.
What is the construction of
How to insulate the dog house for the winter with maximum efficiency? Typically, the gasket is placed in all parts of the kennel. For the floor, roof and walls use different materials, based on their characteristics, as well as positive and negative sides.
How to properly insulate a dog house for the winter and what material to use depends on the location of the kennel and the personal choice of the dog’s owner, as well as on how often the dog sits in his house.
- Sawdust. Relate to natural materials. They are distinguished by a high level of thermal insulation and do not pose a danger to the health of the dog. The only condition – before use should be processed against parasites. This will prevent your pet from getting fleas and ticks. This material has negative sides. Sawdust is very flammable and rotting.
- Styrofoam. It is often used for insulation of residential premises. It is also suitable for kennels. Polyfoam prevents penetration of noise from the outside and differs in the high level of thermal insulation. It does not rot, which also distinguishes it from natural products. This material is highly flammable, which is dangerous not only for a four-legged pet and its kennel, but also for nearby structures.
- Mineral wool. Perfectly warms the room. However, over time, the material gets lost and loses its original characteristics.
- Penoplex are plate plates that do not leak moisture and perfectly protect against freezing in winter. However, the installation of this material produces a large number of seams that do not interfere with the cold and require additional insulation.
- Glass wool. This material has many advantages. The disadvantages include the presence of the smallest particles of fiberglass that irritate the skin of the hands during installation. There is also a danger that the fragments will fall into the lungs or eyes of a person and a dog.
- Polyurethane foam is a modern insulation that is applied by spraying. He has no cons. It does not pose a health hazard, does not burn, is not susceptible to deformation and does not rot.
We build independently
Many people wonder how to insulate a dog house for the winter with their own hands. After all, I want to make my pet a good home, where he will feel comfortable and safe. He will tell in detail how to insulate a dog booth for the winter, instructions. Photos and drawings show the entire process of work in detail.
The doghouse of a dog is small in size, so there should be no gaps between the materials. Even the smallest gap will reduce all your efforts to zero. How to insulate the dog’s booth for the winter so that gaps do not form?
The selected material is fixed on the roof and inner walls of the booth. The method of installation is different. Felt is usually nailed. Polyfoam and penoplex are fastened with screws or glued. The thermal insulation layer should be sheathed with plywood, OSB board or clapboard. The floor of the kennel is covered with hay or sawdust. They should be put dry. Such materials do not let the cold through. Periodically they will have to shake up and change. To the entrance of the kennel, which is open, did not release heat, it can be closed with a special curtain. It should close the hole with a margin.
How to install the curtain for the booth
The main purpose of the curtain is to maintain the optimum temperature in the kennel during the winter period. The material from which the curtain is made, should protect the booth from drafts. For this purpose are used:
- Tarpaulin. It is distinguished by density. In the manufacture of this material is covered with a special mixture that prevents fire. The main advantage of tarpaulin is its elasticity. Therefore, the curtain tension is adjusted with ease depending on the size of the entrance.
- Felt on an artificial basis perfectly retains heat. It can be easily cut. At the same time, the edges of this material do not crumble, so they do not need to be processed.
The shutter should completely close the entrance and not interfere with the dog to enter and exit. The material should be correctly marked. Determine the size you need and add allowances: 5 cm at the sides and 10 cm at the bottom. In order to prevent the dog from accidentally tearing off the curtain during sudden movements, it should be fixed on the upper part of the entrance with a plank of wood. The shutter is installed with screws.
Warming the kennel through polyurethane foam
This material does not pose a danger to human health and pet, is resistant to moisture. It is one of the best thermal insulation products. Differs affordable price. It is attached to the inner surface of the booth. Usually use elastic polyurethane foam. This is due to the openness of its structure and increased absorption of moisture. Therefore, it is not used outside.
Polyurethane foam with a rigid structure is suitable for mounting on the outside of the kennel. In principle, this is the best solution when protecting a doghouse from the cold. The material is non-toxic, as its basis is plastic. It can be purchased both in liquid and solid form. Liquid material is applied by spraying, and the solid has the form of plates.
The plates differ in large size and are not suitable for warming a doghouse. We advise to resort to the use of a liquid species, the main advantages of which include:
- filling all gaps and gaps;
- protection of the kennel from mold fungi and rotting;
- providing isolation from noise;
- long service life (over 30 years).
Warming of the box penopleks
As a rule, penoplex is used for warming a doghouse; its thickness is 50 mm. It is distinguished by its resistance to moisture. The material is mounted on the walls and ceiling inside. All the cracks formed can be poured by means of polyurethane foam from the outside and inside.
It is necessary to carry out the obligatory covering of the penoplex by means of plywood, OSB boards, MDF board and other materials. Otherwise, the sheets will crumble from the constant contact of the dog’s body with the walls of the booth. In addition, the animal can scratch the material with its teeth and claws.
Minus insulation through penoplex
In the hot period, such a booth will be a real steam room for the dog. After all, it is tightly closed and prevents the flow of fresh air.
The situation is saved by a flip cover. This allows you to make a draft and somewhat improve the situation. But when designing a kennel, a removable insulation must be provided. Penoplex should be installed so that it can be removed during the hot period.
How to insulate a dog house for the winter with hay? This is a rather old method. Outside the kennel is upholstered with sacking, but not tightly, but so that it lies loose. Straw is placed in the holes. The box takes a round shape and becomes soft. A straw is also put inside, in which the dog makes a nest.
Protecting the kennel from the cold with straw is undesirable, as it can get fleas that cause the dog inconvenience.
Main types of electric heaters
How to insulate the dog house for the winter with electricity? This can help:
- Panel based heaters. Metal structures are in a metal case. Their thickness is no more than 2 cm, which allows for a compact arrangement in the booth. They are attached to the casing with screws.
- Film based systems. This is a special thermal film that heats the booth with infrared radiation. It is installed under the skin of the kennel.
Tips for installing electric heaters
- If you decide to install an electric heater under the doghouse, you must fill the floor with a solution. The screed is done on foam plastic. The dog does not like to lie on the concrete, so lay a felt sheet or a shield made of wood.
- When installing the heating film on the side walls, it should be covered with plywood.
Pluses electric heating kennels
This type of insulation has many positive aspects:
- On frosty days, the electric heater will create optimal conditions for the four-legged friend.
- The kennel will be dry, which will prevent the appearance of mold fungi.
- Humid air, exhaled by a dog, will not turn into condensate and will not settle by hoarfrost on the walls of the booth.
- The heater does not consume much electricity – just 100 W / m².
Cons warming through electricity
Electric heaters have their negative sides:
- Pet is always active. In case of poor security of the power cable, the dog may gnaw it and die.
- Do not forget about moisture. Electric heaters based on the film are protected by a bitumen sticker. But if moisture constantly accumulates on their surface, then they carry a danger to the pet’s life. If you insulate the booth with your own hands, then protect the device from moisture. The water in the booth gets from the snow, which the dog puts on its paws and wool. Also, the snow is blown by the wind, if there is no curtain, or it passes air.
There is an alternative
Many can not long decide how and what to insulate the dog box for the winter. Should I generally protect the kennel from the cold on my own? After all, such insulation does not always guarantee the optimal conditions for the pet and requires certain knowledge from the owner. In the cold season it is better to keep the dog at home or to buy a ready-made kennel for it, which is designed for very low temperatures.
Such booths have a well-thought-out design and are made using modern insulation materials. A kennel of this type will bring the dog comfort in the coldest days.