How To Insulate A Doghouse The Correct Insulation Of The Kennel
The climatic conditions in which the dog lives, or if it is possible to say “live”, have a huge impact not only on the state of its health, but also on the activity and vitality of the animal. Therefore, due to the fact that the dog spends most of the time on the street, it is necessary to take care of the improvement of its “home”.
A quite reasonable question arises: How to insulate a dog shed so that the animal does not overcool at night or, most importantly, in winter?
Installation of the curtain for the booth
Take care of the warming of your pet’s booth even in the summer!
The main purpose of the curtain is to preserve heat during cold periods of time. In this regard, it is necessary that the material from which it is made, prevented the occurrence of drafts. The following materials are perfect for this purpose:
- Tarpaulin. It is characterized by increased density, and in the manufacturing process it is subjected to treatment with a specialized refractory mixture, which eliminates the possibility of spontaneous combustion. The main advantage of a tarpaulin is also its elasticity, so you can adjust the tension of the curtain depending on the size of the exit manhole of the booth.
- Artificial felt. It is distinguished by increased heat-insulating qualities, in this regard, the material is excellent as a heater booth. Felt is easily cut, while its edges are not showered, so they do not require additional processing.
The shutter for the booth should: firstly, completely close the entrance, and secondly, not be an obstacle to the entrance and exit of the dog. Thus, the selected material for the booth must be properly marked. It is necessary to determine the desired size by eye, then add 5 cm to the sides, and 10 cm to the bottom. Based on this, the curtain fits to the entrance. It is attached with screws to a wooden plank.
Insulation booth: a review of materials
Unfortunately, the foam is too flammable – it is dangerous not only for the dog and its booth, but also for nearby buildings.
To achieve the maximum effect, all parts of the doghouse are usually insulated – floor, roof and walls. For each element, you must use different materials, based on their thermal insulation characteristics, as well as the pros and cons of a heater. The main types of materials used as insulation are as follows:
- Sawdust. Natural material, characterized by good heat capacity, and which is safe for health. The only thing that needs to be done is that before its use it is necessary to carry out anti-parasitic treatment in order to avoid the appearance of ticks and harmful insects. And this material, used as a heater, has such a flaw as flammability, besides sawdust susceptible to rotting.
- Styrofoam. Foamed plastic, which is often used as a heater for residential buildings, and is perfect for a doghouse. It has good sound insulation properties and retains heat well. In addition, the foam does not rot, which also distinguishes it from natural insulation. But, unfortunately, this material is flammable, which is dangerous not only for the dog and its kennel, but also for nearby buildings.
- Mineral wool. Excellent insulation with good thermal insulation properties. However, after some time, the mineral wool is cramped, in connection with this it loses its original characteristics.
- Penoplex. It is a plate plate that does not get wet and retains heat well. However, when installing such insulation, however, like all the above materials, except for sawdust, a mass of joints is formed, which require additional insulation.
- Glass wool. This insulation is all good, except for such a disadvantage as the presence of the smallest fractions of fiberglass, which pierce the skin, prick the hands during installation, and there is a danger of fragments in the eyes or in the respiratory tract, and both man and animal.
- Polyurethane foam. The heater of the new generation, applied by spraying. Unlike the previous materials, polyurethane foam does not have any special disadvantages, since it is safe for the health of people and animals, is not combustible, is not deformed and is not subject to rotting during the entire period of operation.
The choice of specific materials depends on the location of the booth and the personal preferences of the owner, based on the characteristics of each of the above materials, as well as how often the dog is in his "home".
Stages warming the doghouse
The roof can be used: metal, plastic or bitumen
First of all, it is necessary to ensure the insulation of the box from the inside. To do this, under the outer lining of the inner space, you need to lay a layer of insulation, and you can hide the material by means of plywood or eurolining. It is important that the inner lining firmly adheres to the insulation. At the same time, it is necessary to remember that the insulation does not protrude from under the skin. Otherwise, it will not only reduce the absorption of cold air, but may also cause health problems for the dog.
If the ceiling of the booth has a convertible top, you will need additional insulation. You can make it two- or three-layer, without the use of insulating materials. The roof can be used: metal, plastic or bitumen. However, regardless of the chosen material, each of them must have a base of solid boards, which will be the first barrier to cold air. Thus, the warming of a dog kennel must be comprehensive when using different materials.
Features of insulation of the kennel when using polyurethane foam
Polyurethane foam is absolutely harmless for both humans and animals, and its insulating properties make it one of the best materials for warming a doghouse
Currently, this material is widely used as insulation for various structures, both residential and industrial. This is due not only to the affordability of polyurethane foam, but also to its unique characteristics, which advantageously distinguish this material from a number of similar heaters. In particular, it should be noted that there are several types of it: rigid PU foam and elastic PU foam.
The main difference between them is resistance to moisture. With the help of polyurethane foam insulated wells and pools. As a heater for the inner surface of the booth, you should use elastic polyurethane foam. This is due to the fact that it has an open structure and absorbs moisture, thereby, reducing its effectiveness as a heat insulating material when used outside. Accordingly, polyurethane foam with a rigid structure is perfect for insulating the exterior of the walls of a booth.
In general, the insulation of polyurethane foam booth is the most optimal character. This is due to the main characteristics of this material, which is a modified plastic structure. And since almost all the elements that people use in everyday life are made of plastic today, polyurethane foam is as safe in terms of toxicity as, for example, mattresses or sitting in a car. Moreover, the material acquired in large shopping centers or in specialized firms, has all the certificates of quality and guarantees of environmental safety.
Polyurethane foam can be purchased both in liquid form (sprayed on) and in solid (slab)
Polyurethane foam can be purchased both in liquid form (sprayed on) and in solid (slab). As a rule, the plates have massive dimensions and are not very suitable for the insulation of the booth. It is best to use special sprayers of liquid PUF, the main advantages of which can be considered the following:
- The liquid structure completely fills all the gaps and gaps, thereby providing maximum protection against cold air.
- PPU protects the source material of the booth (usually a tree) from the occurrence of mold, mildew and rot.
- After solidification, PUF increases the soundproofness of the dog kennel.
- With proper application and absence of mechanical damage, the PUF will last more than 30 years.
Nonconventional ways of warming
The film is installed under the booth trim
If after the implementation of the insulation measures the booth still passes the cold air and the dog is not comfortable there, additional insulation can be used. These include heaters. It is important to remember that in their application it is necessary that the booth is protected from accidental ignition. For this purpose, only heat-resistant materials should be used as basic insulants, the most optimal of which is recognized as polyurethane foam.
The application is absolutely free and does not oblige you to anything!
Main types of heaters:
- Panel systems. They are represented by elongated metal panels located in a metal casing. Thickness – no more than 2 cm, that is, it is possible to arrange compactly in a doghouse. They are attached to the screws to the trim.
- Film systems. This is a specially made thermal film that heats the booth with infrared radiation. It is necessary to install it under the booth trim.
Thus, answering the question of how to insulate a dog kennel, it is important to consider its location and size. Taking these nuances into account, the necessary materials are being selected and, if necessary, additional measures of thermal protection in the face of heaters.