How To Insulate The Dog House Insulation Requirements
How to warm the dog box for the winter?
In the article we will examine the options for performing thermal insulation and try to choose materials that will provide your pet with heat at minimum cost.
No, this is not a country house. Just a shelter for a dog in case of bad weather.
Is insulation necessary?
Let’s start from afar – with arguments about whether the dog needs insulation in principle.
On the one hand, wild relatives of domestic dogs – wolves do not look for themselves for the winter, even in severe cold, warm shelter. A typical wolf’s lair is a hole, somehow covered with spruce branches or located under the bend. Yes, after heavy snowfall, it is relatively well sheltered from frost and bad weather; however, when searching for shelter, the wolf does not select too protected shelter.
Taking care of your pet, who is guarding the house, is understandable. However, whether it is necessary to create greenhouse conditions for him?
In the modest opinion of the author, the insulation of the dog’s booth is desirable only if you have a short-haired or smooth-haired breed. Dogs with long hair perfectly adapt to the cold: they quickly grow a thick undercoat, thanks to which the dog sleeps beautifully in bare snow.
The booth is a great shelter in case of rain and strong winds. However, a dog living in the cold is healthier in most cases than a pet.
Thick undercoat perfectly protects against cold.
However: in extremely strong frosts of dogs usually just run into the house.
Remember the adage about bad weather and a good host?
When deciding how to insulate a dog’s booth, you need to remember: we are dealing with an animal that obeys, above all, its instincts. The beast can not explain that you do not need to tear the mat on the floor, nibble the canopy at the entrance and claw the foam on the walls.
- Insulated dog kennels should not have internal or external walls that are easily damaged..
Foam lining on the floor or the interior lining of polystyrene foam is not an option.
- Any mineral wool insulation should be reliably isolated from the internal volume of the booth.
Mineral wool fibers irritate the human respiratory system – what can we say about a sensitive dog’s nose! And they will rise into the air with any strong concussion.
- Canopy is a good idea. But it must be tight and very durable: the dog will probably play with it. Considering the strength of the guard dogs’ grasp – a tarp or insulated vinyl will not last long.
Such a curtain will reduce heat loss, but it will not last long.
- It is desirable that the insulating material is natural or released into the environment as little as possible of harmful substances.
He is possible. We will not discuss its feasibility: if there is an opportunity to bring food to the booth, it is quite possible to make it heated.
The advantages of this solution are obvious:
- Even in severe frost in the booth, the temperature will be quite comfortable.
- More importantly, it will always be dry there.
Please note: among other things, this means no mold.
The dog, like any other living creature, exhales humidified air that will condense on cold surfaces. In the heated booth, you can forget about this problem.
The cost of electricity will be more than small: with an area of square meter, a warm floor will require no more than two hundred watts of electrical power.
- Activity dogs. If the heating elements are not protected absolutely reliably – sooner or later a situation will arise when the dog scratches the floor or walls and gets to them.
- About humidity, too, do not forget. Yes, tires of a film heat-insulated floor are protected by bitumen stickers; however, in a pool of water, closure is still theoretically possible. As a result, we will have not a warmed dog booth, but a portable electric chair of delayed action.
Where does water come from, if the booth is insulated and heated? There are a lot of options – from snow brought on paws to a situation when a sick or something scared dog forgot where the nearest tree is.
- As a heat source, you should choose not a film heater, but a heating cable. It has reliable protection against short circuits along the entire length.
The cable is also well protected from accidental damage. But from the dog it is still better to hide.
- If the heating element fits into the floor – it is better not to be lazy and pour a screed. Since it is senseless to heat the ground – the screed is poured over the padded foam. Of course, sleeping on concrete is a dubious pleasure, so it is better to lay a sheet of thin felt on top.
- When laying in the wall heating cable is protected by plywood or other durable material. Yes, with a substantial part of the heat will be absorbed by the gasket, but the alternatives are simply dangerous.
Thermal insulation options
So, how to insulate a doghouse? Let’s look at several options of different complexity.
In terms of time and cost, this option is the easiest and cheapest.
It can be implemented with your own hands in just a couple of hours.
- The size of the walls, roof and floor of thick felt mats are cut. For cutting using a conventional sharp knife.
- They are mounted inside the booth with the roof removed with the usual roofing nails with wide caps.
- The roof is installed in place.
What is the result? We receive rather effective warming which will not be blown by a wind. The material is environmentally friendly and does not damage the health of our pet. What is equally important is that it has good vapor permeability: there will be no moisture in the booth.
The main advantage is vapor permeability.
Let’s be frank: its use is rather doubtful. The design will be quite complicated; in addition, for the sake of high-quality wall insulation will have to make very thick.
How to insulate a dog house with mineral wool?
The instruction itself on thermal insulation works is familiar to anyone who has ever used to insulate a loggia or balcony with this heater:
- The walls are covered with vapor barrier, which is mounted with a stapler.
- On the walls around the perimeter of each crate is crammed from a bar of 50×50 millimeters.
- Mats of mineral wool are cut with a knife in size and invested in the crate, after which a second sheet of vapor barrier is stitched with a stapler (see also How to warm the roof with mineral wool: the recommendations of professionals).
- Outside the crate booth is sewn with plywood, OSB or wooden clapboard.
Mineral wool clotted over time. In addition, its fibers are very volatile.
Against the background of the previous insulation foam has several significant advantages:
- It provides equally effective thermal insulation with a smaller thickness.
- Polyfoam does not caking and does not get wet (therefore, it is often used to warm balconies). Its insulating qualities do not deteriorate over time.
How to insulate the dog’s booth for the winter with foam? Less unnecessary vapor barrier – just like mineral wool.
However: you can get by with a much smaller thickness – from 2 to 4 centimeters.
Against the background of heat loss through the manhole, the difference with thicker insulation will not be felt.
Along with home-made designs on sale you can find already warmed dog kennels. In most cases, they use exactly the foam laid between the two walls of the wall paneling. To look at such a product is quite informative.
The product in the photo is called Max. Its price is 599 euros, which is quite comparable with the cost of a small country house.
Let’s be realistic: with open lase, the insulation will not have a very significant effect on the temperature in the booth. It is much more reasonable not to increase the thickness of the walls, but to reliably protect the dog from drafts.
In this case, you can get inexpensive roll insulation.
- Polyethylene foam provides reliable protection from the wind and good insulation even with a thickness of 4-6 millimeters.. It is mounted on the walls, floor and roof of the booth with the same stapler, after which it is again sheathed with any durable material.
The crate is not needed: short self-tapping screws can be screwed directly through the insulation into the boards, as long as they do not stick out inside.
It is useful: on sale it is possible to meet polyethylene foam with an adhesive layer. The method of its fastening is familiar to you if you have ever performed insulation of plastic windows or steel doors with self-adhesive window insulation: after removing the protective glossy paper, the material is simply pressed against the surface. In this case, temporary fixing with a stapler is not necessary.
- Penofol – advanced version of the roll insulation. Aluminum foil is applied to one of the sides of the polyethylene foam, which reflects infrared radiation. Fixed between the inner and outer walls of the booth, the material will further reduce heat loss.
Penofol – effective and inexpensive insulation.
As you can see, the mass of options. If you are still thinking about how to insulate a dog booth – in the presented video in this article you will find additional information on this topic. Warm winters for you and your pet!