How to Lubricate a Rotary Hammer Inside Makita
Hammers require careful care during use. For their long-term work, different types of lubricants are used. The compositions can be mineral, semi-synthetic, as well as synthetic. Minerals are made from petroleum products, so they quickly lose their operational characteristics, and they have to be changed quite often.
It is very important to choose a composition that will be suitable for the selected type of perforator.
What it is?
Lubricant is a viscous substance that reduces the coefficient of friction between tool parts. The work of the hammer is associated with a huge number of different rotational movements, which increases the degree of wear of structural elements.
When drilling, quite a lot of dust is released, which significantly worsens the operation of the device, which is why it requires periodic lubrication.
What parts need lubrication?
In their physicists. the technical parameters of the grease for the drill, piston, drill, as well as the gearbox and other elements are almost no different from all other types of greases. This is a rather viscous substance of an oily structure, it is used to reduce the friction force of rotating parts, thereby reducing the wear of existing mechanisms.
Lubrication only reduces wear and tear of mechanisms, but does not eliminate it. But significantly extend the period of their operation is quite realistic.
Over time, the grease is impregnated with dust, which is formed during drilling, grinding and crushing. this leads to a change in the degree of its viscosity. In this situation, friction, on the contrary, increases and the wear rate increases, so the lubricant should be updated from time to time. In order for the puncher to last longer, you should clearly understand what parts can be lubricated and how often it should be done.
The device has a complex structure, including several complex nodes:
- housing with anti-vibration protection;
- horizontally or vertically located electric motor;
- piston system;
- gearbox in the form of a housing. it contains cylindrical bevel and worm gears;
- coupling necessary to stop rotation;
- working nozzle (drill, as well as a chisel, peak or blade).
Lubricate almost all the mechanisms of the punch.
- Gearbox. This is the mechanism that is responsible for the rotation speed of the main working nozzle. It protects the parts located inside from dust and dirt, therefore it is equipped with a protective coating. When the tool is working, its parts experience enormous loads due to constantly increasing friction between them, which, in turn, leads to rather rapid wear.
In most devices, the gearbox is shifted initially, however, inexpensive products are most often lubricated with materials of very dubious quality, so they must be lubricated again immediately after purchase.
- Cartridge. In addition to the gearbox, you need to lubricate the cartridge, as well as the seat of the interchangeable nozzles. The cartridge is initially dry, therefore, after purchase, lubricate the area in it that is in contact with the tail of the nozzle. this is where the maximum friction occurs. If it is not timely reduced, then the degree of wear increases sharply, which quickly leads to damage.
- Tail piece. This part wears out under the influence of impact forces, which, when heated, increase its abrasion. The shanks must be lubricated every time they are installed, but before that you need to wipe off the dust with a napkin and remove all dirt.
If the device operates in intensive mode, then visually control the amount of lubricant on the working nozzle.
Depending on the operating characteristics, the perforators can work in different modes. some use the tool daily, others only occasionally, so there is no clear answer about the frequency of lubrication of the working parts of the tool. Usually, the operating instructions clearly state the lubrication of parts.
It must be remembered that structural parts that are not listed in it do not need lubrication.
When deciding on a lubricant change, they are guided by the following points:
- frequency of use of a punch;
- tips outlined in the user manual;
- warranty service period.
If the rotary hammer is still under warranty service, then use only certified lubricants listed by the tool manufacturer. Otherwise, if the tool fails, the service center has the right to refuse to fulfill all warranty obligations.
Video: How to Lubricate a Rotary Hammer Inside Makita
Features of the choice of oil
One of the main parameters that is considered when buying a lubricating composition is the viscosity of the oil. High-quality products, as a rule, are expensive, but in this case there is no need to save. The punch belongs to expensive tools, so its performance should be taken care of constantly. Typically, the types of lubricant are listed in the instructions, but if information is not available, you can always seek the advice of the manager of a service center or a sales outlet where the device was purchased. Specialists will select the optimal composition for the punch.
There are universal compounds with which you can lubricate different types of drills. In recent years, graphite lubricants have been very popular., since they have good viscosity and a high level of quality.
Experienced specialists confirm that many branded mixtures are of much lower quality than graphite-based mixtures. In addition, they have a fairly affordable cost, so many people confidently make a choice in their favor.
For perforators should take substances such as solid oil and lithol. Litol. 25 is a high quality durable material that has a low cost. Therefore, it is very popular among owners of power tools.
Do not forget that such mixtures can cause slight braking of rotating structures, and can also significantly increase the heating of the tool during operation.
If we talk about specialized lubricants, it should be noted that to lubricate various parts you need to use oils that are suitable for them. For example, oils that are used to process the gearbox are not suitable for lubricating the drill.
A more lubricant required to lubricate the gearbox, which should completely cover the contacting parts, filling the free cavities. But if there are plastic parts in the gearbox, the grease can only be silicone.
The transmission mechanism can also be lubricated with plastic compounds, but not all equipment can function without interruptions when using means with a similar structure.
Thicker mixtures are suitable to reduce wear on tail tips. Typically, the packaging indicates that they are designed to handle drills.
If you don’t have the necessary means at hand, you can focus on its graphite analogue, although it removes heat much worse than specialized oil.
For cartridges you can use silicone grease options. Lubricants are branded, which are made by manufacturers of electric tools, for example, Hitachi or Metabo, as well as AEG, Bosch or Interskol. They can also be produced by enterprises specializing in the production of lubricant mixtures.
The most popular brands are:
- Bosch. produces oils for lubrication by gearbox and tail nozzles;
- Makita. are acquired for the Boers;
- Lubcon thermoplex. produce products for gearboxes;
- Turmogrease. universal lubricants;
- Nanotech. used for shanks;
- Interskol. optimal for processing drills;
- PRORAB. represents the composition used processing the seats of the tail parts;
- Kress. used to lubricate the lubrication of the drill.
The most popular users are Bosch and Makita.
How to lubricate the parts?
When it comes to lubricating a rotary hammer at home, as a rule, they imply an independent change of lubricant on its individual parts. First of all, it is necessary to lubricate the gearbox. this mechanism is quite easy to disassemble, but has a complex structure, so all actions must be carried out in a strictly defined order.
First you need to prepare the necessary materials:
- dry clean cloth. rags;
- locksmith tools that are needed to assemble the gearbox;
- the lubricant itself.
In most cases, world-famous manufacturers such as Bosch and Makita, in the instruction manual indicate the entire procedure for disassembling and assembling devices and give important recommendations. Owners of punchers, who first encounter such work, following these tips, can master all the manipulations quite quickly, with a minimum of effort.
But if such a manual is not at hand, then you should work on a certain algorithm.
- The tool must be removed from dust and dirt.
- When disassembling and reassembling the drill and punch, you need to remember as accurately as possible the arrangement of all functional parts so as not to confuse them when disassembling. It is better to use video fixation.
- All work associated with the lubrication of parts is performed only after a certain time after the drill stops working. It must cool down, otherwise refrigerated grease can lead to interruptions in the operation of the power tool if it gets into hot areas.
- After all the basic parts, including the gearbox, are removed, they are washed with spindle oil or gasoline, and then thoroughly drained from excess moisture. Particular attention should be paid to the gearbox.
- Every part of the device should be inspected as thoroughly as possible. In some areas there is no lubrication. it means that it is not necessary to apply a new composition to this place.
- After applying the composition, the gearbox is carefully collected in the reverse order. If this is done correctly, then the hammer can immediately be used in work.
In addition to the gearbox, the drill should also be lubricated. In this case, the tail part of the mechanism, as in the first case, is washed with gasoline, cleaned and dried, and only after that it is carefully lubricated with specialized oils.
At the same time it makes sense to do it yourself and the cartridge seal, this will significantly increase the period of its service, as well as protect against dust. However, it should not be overlooked that lubricate it only when a system with an open type cartridge is mounted on the punch. If the system is closed, there is no need for lubrication.