How To Make A Booth For A Big Dog
The dog is not only a friend of man, but also a full member of the family. Of course, in the conditions of a city apartment it is not always possible to have a shaggy pet. But if you live in a private house, then most often you have a dog that performs the role of the watchman and a friend.
In this case, be sure to provide your beloved dog with housing – comfortable, practical and warm.
Today you will learn how to make a kennel, in which the dog will feel cozy and comfortable in any weather.
Today we will consider all the nuances of construction and equipment of the dog house with our own hands, from preparation for work to installation of the roof.
Determine the size of the dog house and its location
First select the place where the booth will be located. This is a kind of guard post, and the location must comply with certain rules:
- when installing the structure, take into account the wind direction, since the booth should not be purged;
- the place should be well lit, but located near the shaded area where the dog will rest from the heat;
- Avoid moisture that may accumulate under the kennel, set the kennel on high ground in a dry place;
- the kennel should be close enough to the front door of the house, optimally on the south side;
- From the side of the booth, the gate, entrance gate and most of the site should be clearly visible.
The last point is justified by the fact that the dog by its nature requires a maximum view of the space, which allows it to detect danger and provide protection.
We now turn to the next task. Whatever the shape of the dog house, the dimensions should be calculated optimally for the pet. Therefore, the basis for the calculations are taken indicators of the size of the dog with allowances.
Traditionally used for the construction of the booth dimensions:
- A doghouse for a small dog (for example, a dachshund) – 700 mm length, 550 mm width, 600 mm height;
- The box for an average dog (husky, german shepherd) – 1200 mm length, 750 mm width, 800 mm height;
- The booth for a large dog (Alabai, Caucasian Shepherd Dog) is 1400 mm long, 1000 mm wide, 950 mm high.
Since the size of the dog, even within the same breed can vary, the size of the kennel can be customized.
And in order to determine them optimally, use this technique in the calculations. To determine the width of the manhole, measure the width of the dog’s chest, and add 5-8 cm to the value obtained. The height of the manhole should be 5 cm below the dog at the withers, and the height of the whole booth should be 5 cm higher. The depth of the booth should be the same as in height.
Drawing for the booth with their own hands
So, having decided on the size of the booth and the additional conditions for its installation, proceed to the exact image on paper.
To make a good, reliable box with your own hands, you need to make a drawing correctly, taking into account not only the dimensions of the dog, but also its peculiarities of character and even the climate.
Take into account such additions that will make the kennel a good and convenient protective structure:
- There should be enough space inside the booth so that the dog can get up, turn around or lie down, stretched out. The same goes for the entrance hole. That is, in the calculations do not forget to add a few centimeters to the growth, especially if the dog is still a puppy and will continue to grow.
- Use for the construction of the booth only natural, environmental materials. The best solution is wood: cheap, affordable and not harmful to your pet’s health.
- If you live in a cooler climate, take care that your dog is not cold in winter. Be sure to warm the booth, and if possible apply additional measures. For example, a booth could be a two-room apartment. The booth’s width will increase about 2 times, while the manhole to the first room, or vestibule, is located from the courtyard, and the manhole to the second room will be made in the inner wall closer to the back surface of the booth.
- You can also build a booth inside the enclosure. This option is well suited for large dogs, not accustomed to sit on the chain. Thus, the pet will not lose the freedom of movement, and the booth will be provided with additional heat preservation. If you live in the southern, warmer regions, it is better to make a booth more than its size: the dog will need more coolness than heat.
- Decide which roof you want for the booth. On the sloping roof, the dog will be able to rest comfortably, and under the gable you can equip a small attic for toys.
Taking into account all the nuances, make an accurate drawing of your structure. It will also help you calculate the amount of materials needed.
Materials you need
Before you build a dog house, equip yourself with all the necessary tools and prepare the materials. So, in addition to the finished drawing you need:
- Building level;
- Antiseptic for wood impregnation;
The optimal choice of material for the body of the booth is a tree, mostly coniferous.
Such wood breathes well, retains heat, is easy to process and is durable in use. Use the same lining. The floorboard, sheets of plywood, bars, and for decoration – decorative slats and corners.
If you need to build a warmed dog booth, take care of its impermeability and impermeability as well. For all this you will need:
- Mineral wool (it can be replaced with foam);
Be sure to clean the wall panel, which is used in the construction of the booth, otherwise the pet may get hurt or shuffle. Do not treat the structure from the inside with chemical or substances or substances with a strong odor, such as paint, antiseptic, drying oil: dogs have a very delicate scent, and this can damage the health and health of the dog.
How to build a dog booth: start the process
Now that we have everything we need, we will describe step by step how to make a kennel.
This is a fairly simple job, but, like any construction business, it requires care.
- First we build the bottom and frame. From bars 40 to 40 we assemble the frame for the bottom and nail the floorboards as closely as possible to each other so as not to form cracks. If your pet is large and heavy, reinforce the floor additionally with the same bars to save the floor from sagging. On the finished bottom in the corners, fasten the bars 100 to 100 in a vertical position. This will be the basis for the walls. Our design looks like a table upside down. Now perpendicular to the bottom, set the bars 40 by 40 between the main bars. They will serve as roof support, wall reinforcement and manhole designation.
- Go to the walls. In order to sheathe the booth outside, use the paneling, which does not stratify with time, unlike plywood. It is better to fix the trim with galvanized nails with small hats.
- When the walls are ready, we begin to build a ceiling. If you are planning to install a booth in an open-air cage or under a canopy, there will be a rather thin ceiling, which will serve as a roof at the same time. If the kennel will stand in the open, the ceiling and the roof should be made separately and additionally insulated. For the ceiling, take a sheet of plywood of the appropriate size and bars 40 by 40. Fasten a layer of mineral wool or polystyrene on top, dress it with glassine, and cover it with a second sheet of plywood. If you do not plan to put an additional roof, then you can simply close the ceiling with roofing felt and lay shingles.
- Now make the roof gables: take the bars 40 to 40 for the perimeter, attach the glassine from the inside and sheathe the outside with clapboard.
- The last step is to enter. It should be closed from the wind with a canvas curtain, and so that it does not wrap or open, hang loads from the inside, for example, plastic bags with sand.
Well, the booth is ready. To give it a finished beautiful look, coat it outside with varnish or paint.
Insulated dog house: what to do to make the pet feel comfortable even in winter
We have already said that additional warming will not be needed in all cases. Your dog may be shaggy enough to do without a warm kennel, and the yard is closed enough for cold winds and damp. But still the question of insulation and waterproofing is a separate consideration.
- First of all, remember that you can not put the booth directly on the ground. Because of this, the floor will quickly begin to rot. Install logs on the ground – thick boards, logs or bricks, on which you will lift the finished booth. This will be the first step to waterproofing the structure.
- Turn the structure over so that it is installed upside down. How should it be treated outside with an antiseptic, cover with roofing material and nail in addition over the bars 100 to 50, also pre-impregnated with antiseptic. Having turned the structure back to its original position, cover the bottom with glass mat, lay a layer of insulation (mineral wool or polystyrene), lay it again with glass mat and fix the finishing floor.
- The walls are insulated in exactly the same way and lined with clapboard on the inside. In this way, you will ensure that the design of the effect of a thermos, which allows you to keep warm from the inside.
Remember that if you have made a booth from a thick timber of 8-10 cm, then the wall insulation is not necessary, but the roof and floor will need to be warmed.
All these methods will help you provide protection from moisture, drafts, dampness, which means that the pet will be comfortable and cozy in the booth.
How to care for a doghouse
As you know, it is not enough to build a good building, you need to take care of it in order to extend the maximum service life and save time for major repairs. This is especially true for a doghouse.
It should be cleaned at least once a month: sweep away leftovers, bones, wool and debris that the pet dragged inside. It is also necessary to regularly disinfect the kennel: in the winter it is enough once per season, from spring to autumn, especially in summer – at least every month. The same applies to the fight against parasites. The treatment of a booth with creolin, lysol or formalin will not be superfluous. While the walls treated with mortar dry, it is better for the dog to be far from the booth.
In order to simplify the subsequent care of the kennel, during the construction make it collapsible.
For example, with a folding roof or retractable walls. Thus, you can also simply brush the snow in winter from the surface of the booth, and it will be much easier to disinfect from the inside of the structure.
In addition, in the event of a breakdown or damage to any element of the structure, it is much easier to replace it if it is collapsible than to repair everything completely.