How To Make A Casing For A Grinder For A Vacuum Cleaner
How to make a cover for a grinder for a vacuum cleaner with your own hands Appointment of a cover for a grinder for a vacuum cleaner. Do-it-yourself assembly of a protective device for angle grinders with dust extraction. Expert advice on making it easier to cut ceramic tiles.
Homemade pan cover
In some cases, it is worth using a welding machine and independently making a cover for a grinder for a vacuum cleaner from a thin metal sheet. Such a design will turn out to be beautiful and durable, but it requires welding skills and expensive materials. If the workshop has an old aluminum pan, then you can make a high-quality casing without using a welding machine.
For this work, you will need the following materials and tools:
- Aluminum pan;
- Measuring instruments;
The main part of the dust collector is cut out first. The cover must be carefully fitted to the electrical appliance. It is worthwhile to immediately accurately calculate the maximum penetration depth of the cutting disc, because the cutting height directly depends on this.
From the other part, a special landing axle for attachment to an angle grinder. The diameter of the drawing product is tried on directly on the angle grinder. Its size must be the most accurate so that a homemade casing does not jump off from large vibration during work. Experts advise using a strong clamp when securing the fixture.
How to make a cover for a grinder for a vacuum cleaner with your own hands
In addition to a large number of advantages, the angle grinder has one drawback. When carrying out various works with wood or concrete, angle grinder produces a lot of fine dust. This debris then needs to be removed from the most inaccessible places. To avoid this, it is worth using a casing for a grinder for a vacuum cleaner, which can be made with your own hands from scrap materials.
Home craftsmen have developed a more economical option for modernizing angle grinders with a casing for a vacuum cleaner. In any workshop there is always an unnecessary plastic canister from technical fluids. Such a container holds its shape perfectly, is quickly processed and has a factory outlet of the required size.
To make such a product, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Plastic canister;
- Stationery knife;
- Fastening materials.
First, a fitting is performed, the main criterion of which is to ensure the required immersion depth of the cutting blade. The necessary through holes are cut with a clerical knife. Their sizes are selected taking into account the further preservation of the maximum rigidity of the product. Both mounting holes are cut on both sides of the canister so that the direction of rotation of the cutting blade can be reversed. The hose of a household vacuum cleaner is connected to the neck of the plastic container and secured with a clamp.
Next, you need to attach the casing to the grinder using a strong clamp and a special adapter ring. The assembly of this part must be taken very carefully. The hole in the canister is closed by a lid, which can be moved to the opposite side when changing the direction of rotation of the cutting blade.
Purpose of the dust collector for angle grinders
Modern construction technologies provide a large number of works, which are carried out using a grinder. Cutting metal parts is not particularly difficult, but there are other technological processes in which a lot of fine dust is emitted.
Special angle grinder attachments will be needed when carrying out indoors such types of work:
- Gutting floors or walls. In this case, a lot of dust is generated, regardless of the type of material. The greatest difficulty is that such work is mainly performed at high altitudes. In addition, debris falling from above settles evenly throughout the room. For these works, it is better to use a powerful bosch wall chaser.
- Tile cutting. This is the most common dusty process. Dust from ceramic tiles is considered the finest and most harmful to human health.
- Cycling wood floors. This is a very voluminous job that takes place over a huge area. That is why a lot of dust and small debris is emitted.
Dust-free cutting of ceramic tiles
It is very difficult to cut ceramic tiles using a factory dust extractor, because the cover overlaps the cutting site, and the builder needs absolute control over the work. For this purpose, it is worth making a homemade dust collector out of transparent materials, for example, from a large plastic bottle.
This fixture is secured with the factory protective cover. The neck of the bottle fits very well with the bell of a household vacuum cleaner. This self-made transparent nozzle will help you complete the most difficult jobs. And also the master will be able to control the entry of the cutting disc into the ceramic tile. At the end of the work, you just need to throw the garbage out of the bag.
A casing for a grinder under a vacuum cleaner: selection and use
- How to choose?
- Popular models
- Installation instructions
The angle grinder is considered a multifunctional tool. Besides many advantages, it has one significant disadvantage when cutting and sanding the material, it produces a lot of dust. To free themselves from long-term cleaning of the room after working with a grinder, craftsmen use devices equipped with a vacuum cleaner. The main element of any of these devices is the protective cover. It can be easily matched to any angle grinder model. The main thing is to be able to correctly attach the part to the exhaust system.
Protective covers for a vacuum cleaner for angle grinders are available in a huge range. Over, each of their types can differ not only in design, but also in functionality. Several models of attachments are very popular with masters.
- Bosch 2605510224. This casing is suitable for grinders of various brands with discs 115 and 125 mm. It is equipped with a special ring brush that allows you to work with a fiber attachment and a grinding wheel. The size of the nozzle is 200 × 190 × 80 mm, its weight is 0.3 kg. The cost is low.
- STOMER 98299441. This device is made in the shape of a semicircle. It is installed on angle grinders with 230 mm discs. The main advantage of the nozzle is the presence of a guide, which is responsible for adjusting the shaking depth. Case dimensions 320 × 160 × 240 mm, weight 2.71 kg. It can also be purchased at an affordable price.
- Mechnik Air Duster. This version is suitable for tools with 125 and 230 mm diamond discs. It has a low price and the ability to connect to medium power vacuum cleaners (up to 1.6 kW). The casing is lightweight and easy to install.
- Blastrak. This is a professional vacuum cleaner cover that can be attached to a grinding tool with 125 and 180 mm discs. The nozzle is characterized by variable elasticity, it is more rigid at the points of attachment with angle grinders and softer at the edges in contact with the floor.
- Metabo GED125. This casing deserves special attention. It is recommended to purchase it for processing concrete and stone. The nozzle is completed with a special branch pipe that allows you to attach it to the vacuum cleaner.
How to choose?
Protective attachments play a huge role when working with angle grinders, and special attention should be paid to the choice of a casing for a vacuum cleaner. Since not every fixture can be suitable for a grinder and protect the room from dust well, it is important to consider some basic points before purchasing.
In most designs of grinders, a dust collector is provided. Thanks to him, dust is immediately collected from under the working surface of the device, without polluting the room. Such models are characterized by high suction power. They protect not only from dust, but also from debris. Additionally, a protective casing made of durable material is installed on the dust removal mechanism. It is able to withstand intense mechanical loads and, during surface treatment, collect various fractions, including fine dust particles, and pieces of metal or concrete.
The protective cover for the vacuum cleaner has two main functions.
- Dust protection. It prevents the spontaneous spread of debris in the work area. The dust element also traps small and large pieces of debris that are generated during surface treatment. In addition, this device also protects the tool itself from getting into the outer part of the body of various particles, which adversely affect the functioning of the rotating parts and can further disable them.
- Adjustment. The casing is not only responsible for dust removal, but also allows you to adjust the operation of the wheel.
Since cleaning is carried out with a vacuum cleaner connected to the nozzle, when installing the cover, make sure that the diameter of the dust extraction tube and the hole of the nozzle match. The nozzle in the form of a flexible hose should fit exactly into the hole and slide over the casing without any backlash.
It is recommended to use a cover for a vacuum cleaner in the following cases:
- For grinding concrete and chipping walls and floors. This type of surface treatment produces a lot of dust. In addition, most of the work is done at a height, and debris falling from above can settle throughout the room. To increase the protection against dust, it is necessary to choose an aerodynamic or sanding cover that is suitable for powerful models of grinders and withstands well loads.
- When cutting tiles. Such work is always accompanied by a large amount of dust, which not only pollutes the room, but is also harmful to human health. For this process, experts recommend choosing a cut-off or universal casing.
- For scraping wooden floors. This process is quite time consuming. It provides for the treatment of surfaces of large areas, after which a lot of debris and dust are generated. Thanks to the protective cover, scraping is quick and efficient, since the master does not need to be distracted by cleaning the working area. It is installed on the angle grinder using special fasteners.
The cover for the vacuum cleaner can be sold as a complete set with the tool, or separately. At the same time, many craftsmen make a protective device with their own hands in order to secure the working process. A homemade casing does not differ in functionality from the factory one, but it may be slightly inferior in performance. Self-made casings are able to protect the craftsman from injury, preventing particles of the processed material from flying away. But if the financial capabilities allow, then it is better to purchase finished products, since they are of high quality and allow you to expand the capabilities of the device.
To improve the efficiency of the protective cover, it must be correctly positioned and secured. The installation process is simple, even a novice wizard can handle it. The attachment of the nozzle is as follows:
- First, you should close the standard grinder casing with an aerodynamic one, for this it is pressed against the thrust bearing;
- Then the casing is clamped onto the pins, it is fixed with screws, ensuring symmetry to the disk;
- The vacuum cleaner hose is connected to the exhaust pipe, it should freely pass into the hole in the casing;
- The installation process is completed with a control check of the fasteners, since work can only be started when the cover is securely fixed.
For information on how to make a dust removal casing for a grinder with your own hands, see the following.
Options for grinders
Covers for a grinder for a vacuum cleaner can be made independently, so there is no need to spend money on a factory nozzle. In addition, there are more than enough options for making a homemade casing. Let’s consider a couple of options for making grinder attachments that will help to carry out work indoors without noise and dust. In terms of noise, the use of such nozzles also reduces the noise level, although only slightly.
The first version of the casing involves the use of a saucepan. It is possible to make a cover from a pan without much difficulty and even without using a welding machine. The only condition is the presence of an old aluminum pan. To make such a nozzle, you will need to cut the cover out of the pan, adjusting it to the size of the power tool.
Having decided on the depth of penetration of the circle, you should remove the excess part of the pan, which can also be done using a grinder. In the resulting part of the pan, you need to cut a hole for the landing axle. The diameter of the axis can be tried on directly on the grinder itself. The diameter must be as accurate as possible, otherwise the nozzle will slide off during operation.
In the back of the resulting nozzle, a hole should be made for the vacuum cleaner hose. This hole, which is called a dust extraction, must enter the pipe of the vacuum cleaner in order to suck out the dust. The presence of a dust collector or dust collector allows you to perform the main task, to eliminate the occurrence of dust in the room when using the tool. At the final stage, the edges of the casing should be bent inward, with their help, the side wall will be fixed.
The side wall for the grinder’s protective casing can be made of any material. It is best to use a thin galvanized sheet or straighten the rest of the pot. A piece of metal of a suitable size should be cut out and screwed to the main product with self-tapping screws. Below is a view of the resulting casing for a do-it-yourself grinder.
You can also make a cover from a plastic canister. This option is also economical and even easier to implement. First you need to find an empty plastic canister, which is necessarily in the garage. We start taking measurements, since an important condition is to ensure the required immersion depth of the circle.
Cutting out the casing is done with a construction knife. The neck of the canister should be left, as it will play the role of a dust collector or to fix the hose from the vacuum cleaner on it. We recommend cutting a hole at the level of the grinder axis, the size of the working disk mounting nut. This will improve the convenience of replacing an erased disc.
After the product is ready, you can put it on the tool and try it in action. You should end up with something like the one shown above and below. Such a casing is not only easy to manufacture, but also does not require any additional costs.
Depending on the material and manufacturer, factory attachments will cost from 600 rubles, but is it worth buying such a device at all when you can make it yourself without much difficulty. The above options are especially relevant in cases where you need to perform a one-time work in the room, but you want to reduce the occurrence of dust.
Cover for grinder for vacuum cleaner
The grinder is not only a popular type of tool, but also easy to use. You do not need to have special skills to use the tool, but it is important to follow safety precautions. When working with a grinder indoors, there is an active generation of dust when concrete, wood, and ceramics are processed. Especially in order to avoid the generation of dust, covers for the grinder under the vacuum cleaner were invented and manufactured. With such a device, working with a grinder has become even easier and more enjoyable.
General recommendations for using the grinder
Safety precautions must be followed when working with a tool such as an angle grinder. A cover for a vacuum cleaner for a grinder is not only an option, how not to litter the house when performing work. The advantage of such a cover is the protection of the person doing the work from various factors. Working without a cover is like playing Russian roulette: lucky or unlucky.
During the operation of the angle grinder, such options for negative consequences are possible as breaking a circle, which often happens with abrasive discs, as well as the appearance of small fragments and pebbles that can get into the eyes. The harm of dust generated during the processing of concrete and ceramic products lies in the fact that it is able to reach the lower respiratory tract. It is strictly prohibited to carry out work on cutting concrete or ceramics without a protective cover and respirator. It is especially important to use a respirator and safety goggles if work is done without a protective cover.
The angle grinder is an indispensable tool for various jobs. With the advent of such a tool, human manual labor has become much easier, but at the same time the likelihood of injury has increased. In order for the tool to continue to be the best helpers in the household, design a homemade cover for it, protecting yourself from possible serious injury.
Do-it-yourself methods for making a casing for a grinder for a vacuum cleaner
The grinder is a simple but extremely popular hand-held power tool that has managed to gain noticeable popularity in most types of technical and repair work. Its capabilities cannot be called too broad, as well as a set of functional capabilities, but the tasks that the grinder solves are in themselves inaccessible to other tools.
Users appreciate the angle grinder and are constantly trying to refine, improve the set of functions and capabilities. Let’s consider one of these options that can make the use of the tool clean and comfortable.
- Purpose of the dust collector for angle grinders
- Types of covers
- Homemade pan cover
- Canister attachment
Types of covers
The types of accessories for the grinder that perform the tasks of collecting and removing dust are quite numerous.
Manufacturers are aware of the problem and solve it by releasing special devices for their equipment.
There are two options for the type of functionality:
- For cutting discs;
- For grinding discs.
The first outwardly resemble the usual protection with a closed case and a nozzle for a vacuum cleaner. The second option is a closed lid with a branch for connecting the vacuum cleaner hose. Both types are installed in the usual way on the grinder and do not require special tools for installation. Most users are familiar with common patterns:
- Stomper SG-230;
- Stomper SG-230 R;
- BOSCH 1605510180;
- BOSCH 2605510107;
- BOSCH 2605510224;
- BOSCH 2602025285;
- Metabo GED125;
- Metabo GED125 Plus.
Homemade pan cover
You can make a casing from an old pan with your own hands, both for grinding concrete, and for a cutting wheel or chipping.
- It is only necessary to select the diameter in accordance with the size of the disc (2-3 cm more). The easiest way is to attach the disc to the bottom, choose the optimal position and mark the center with a marker;
- Then a segment is cut off, which determines the amount of disc protrusion from the casing;
- A circle is outlined around the designated center, the diameter of which corresponds to the landing size of the grinder;
- A hole is drilled along the marked center, from which beams are cut from the center to the edges with metal scissors. The resulting petals are bent outward, forming a landing diameter for installation on a grinder;
- A metal clamp of the appropriate size is taken and carefully welded to the bent petals. Trying on a grinder and finally fitting;
- A cutting disc is installed, its position is marked in a circle on the walls of the pan with a margin of about 1 cm.Then transverse cuts are made from the edges to the marked mowing line, and the resulting petals are bent inward. The excess parts are cut off with scissors for metal;
- The outer wall is attached to the bent petals in any available way for welding, bolts, screwed with wire. The material for it can be a metal sheet, plastic, etc.
- The hole for the vacuum cleaner connection is marked on the side of the casing. The branch pipe itself can be made of a plastic sewer pipe, or made of metal. The branch pipe is inserted into the hole, attached by an accessible method by welding, screwed with wire, etc.
An exhaust home-made casing for grinding is made even easier; a pan of the required diameter is installed on the bore hole, cut in height so that the grinder’s grinding disc is completely covered with the remaining part. Then petals about 5-10 mm high are cut along the perimeter and bent outward. A foam rubber seal for doors or windows is attached to them, which ensures the tightness of the casing. It remains only to make a hole in the bottom next to the landing one, and attach the nozzle for the vacuum cleaner. The casing is ready.
It is not always possible to choose a ready-made protective casing for angle grinders with a dust extraction, since not all products coincide in connection dimensions. In addition, they are not always available. The third limiting factor is the price of the Metabo GED125 model will cost 3800 rubles, and the Bosch GWS 22-230 costs 13800 rubles, which is 2 times more expensive than the grinder itself. Such prices force the owners of angle grinders to think about making their own protection against dust, especially since this event is not particularly difficult.
People with a technical mindset invent such devices and alter containers for this that are at hand. As a result, devices appear quite efficient, albeit unsightly in appearance. They perform the assigned tasks no worse than industrial designs, and they cost practically nothing. Let’s consider some options:
Purpose of the dust collector for angle grinders
The use of angle grinders (grinders) for carrying out repair work with concrete at home creates a large amount of dust.
If you need to level the wall, sand it for painting or applying other types of finishing coat, all irregularities or bumps become the smallest particles of concrete suspended in the air.
Despite the personal protection used, they penetrate the mouth, eyes, and respiratory organs.
In addition, dust accumulates on all pieces of furniture, walls, ceilings and other surfaces, requiring laborious and time-consuming cleaning. Dust from brick walls eats into surfaces, irreversibly spoiling their appearance.
A plastic bottle-canister from technical fluids is convenient in that it already has an almost ready-made outlet for a vacuum cleaner. The neck of the canister connects well with the hose, it remains only to choose the required amount of overhang for the disc and make a hole in the side flat part of the canister. You will need a clamp with an adapter ring that connects the container to the grinder. This element is important, therefore it is necessary to make it as carefully as possible, otherwise, during operation, the dust cover will fall off the mounting diameter of the grinder. A slot for the disc is made in the narrow side part.
Such a casing is simple, lightweight and takes little time to manufacture. Old cans are lying around in any garage, it is not a problem to find them. It only remains to spend a little time and work.
The prices for factory protection models are too high, so the vast majority of craftsmen use homemade products. They do not require expenses, are made from scrap materials and do their job quite well. It takes a few hours to make, and the benefits obtained from such products are great and fully justify the effort and time spent.