How to Make a Cross Cut From a Circular Saw
The miter saw is created with your own hands on the basis of the existing equipment. a hand circular saw, an angle grinder (angle grinder). And when mounting disks of a particular type, a home-made device can be used to cut a profile on a metal-plastic basis, pipes, which will increase the area of its use.
Trimming is divided into such types:
- with a broach.
The basis of the pendulum device is the bed. A table is mounted on it, which is based on a rotation mechanism with a ruler. This mechanism solves the problem of setting the angle of cut with its setting. The cutting angle can be adjusted by moving the desktop relative to the surface of the base. The saw component is fixed with a handle and spring-loaded with a hinge. The pendulum moves the saw vertically.
In the combined modification, it is possible to change the angle of cut in two directions. The structure is the same as that of the pendulum trimming, only one more hinge is added. In terms of changing the angle of cut in a horizontal surface. it can be changed in the horizontal direction, which is also opposite from the installed drive.
Trimming with a broach allows you to translate the cutting component both around the circumference of the hinge axis and directly along the length of the cut. This is due to the available guides.
It is possible to make a miter saw with your own hands, taking as a basis the available equipment.
From a hand-held circular saw
The structure is ordinary and acceptable to create at home. The body of the trimming unit is made of wood or iron. From plywood sheets (chipboard), a base is built on which a vertical stand is mounted, having previously cut holes in it for fixing the trimming. The device of the pendulum form is made of a board and fastened to the base with a long bolt.
Having prepared a steel rod or corner, it is attached on top of the pendulum so that the end sticks out. Then a spring is taken, at one end it is fixed to the rear shelf of the corner, and the second. to the vertical stand. The stretch is selected empirically, but it should be enough to easily hold the circular saw in the hanging position.
Having removed the handle from the equipment, it is fixed on the pendulum in a pre-prepared hole. The wires are placed in the slots prepared for this, and the power supply is connected. A small slot is made in the table top, and side stops are fixed to it at an angle of 90 °. If they are made turning, then cutting the workpiece will be possible under a specific degree. The unit is assembled, it remains to be tested in work. Using the drawings, you can make any, even a very difficult machine.
From angle grinder
Miter saws are able to work on wood, iron, plastic and other materials.
The most famous trimming is based on the use of an angle grinder.
If you manage to do everything correctly, your device with a broach will have the following options:
- disk rotation speed. 4500 rpm;
- the cut distance is approximately 350 millimeters.
If necessary, trimming is dismantled from the unit and practiced as an ordinary hand tool. A big plus is that a home-made device is versatile and freely disassembled.
Consider how the manufacturing procedure occurs.
- Place the rotary mechanism of the angle grinder on the axis of rotation of the implement wheel. Its fasteners are made using a ball bearing. The recommended size is 150 millimeters, but more will also fit.
- Ears are welded from the outside of the bearing. They are designed to secure the base of the unit. Mount with bolts M6.
- The clip should be covered with a protective cover so that during operation you will not fly chips.
- The broach problem finds a solution simply. To create it, take the shock absorbers from the truck. Even if they are not in working condition, this is not a problem. Remove the lubricant from the shock absorbers, drill holes for ventilation and cover with a mesh so that chips and dust do not penetrate into the cavity.
- Install the soft start module. Thanks to him, you will not experience sharp jerks during the trimming process.
- The final stage is the installation of saw blade protection.
Video: How to Make a Cross Cut From a Circular Saw
Depending on the delivered disk, the unit can be used for metal or wood, pipe trimming. But be aware that unit power may not be enough to trim pipe ends. Decide on the technical parameters of your angle grinder to find out if the machine is capable of cutting pipes, or if it is suitable only for working with wood.
This design has two important drawbacks.
- In order to adjust the accuracy of the cut, first the residual wood is used. Then the traction is fixed, and you can begin to work.
- The unit is very noisy when cutting pipes and working on iron.
The manufacture of a complex unit
There is an option with a more complicated and heavy mass design. She will precisely cope with the facing of metal pipes. At the same time, a home-made device does not require the use of circulars as an element of the unit. But for specific moments of work, it is better to keep the circular at hand.
Based on the selected components, you have the opportunity to make a high power unit. To create it you will need:
- an electric motor with a resource of about 900 watts, and if you need a constant cut of pipes, you can take a more powerful electric motor;
- sheet iron;
- metal corners;
- articulated groups;
- angle grinder;
- welding machine;
- powerful spring.
When everything you need is prepared, you can begin assembling the end face machine.
- The bed can be made by using customizable supports, metal corners and bed stands.
- As a working surface, a sheet of strong iron is used. It is necessary to make holes in it and to grind them with a file.
- For the manufacture of a pendulum rack we use a channel and a welding machine. The design is placed on an iron sheet. Approximate rack height 80 cm.
- The frame for the electric motor is made of iron sheet as a stationary plate. The bed is certainly mounted on hinges.
- A powerful spring will serve as the stabilizer of the trimming machine electric motor. If you find one, then you can refuse the pendulum and belts.
- By means of a folding bolt it is possible to make a tension and adjustment of belts. The pendulum can be made of steel so that the structure is strong, reliable.
- The cutting tool will be the disk of the required diameter. For home tasks, as a rule, a saw blade with a diameter of 400-420 millimeters is enough.
Pros and cons
Homemade miter saws have both positive and negative properties.
The advantages of home-made units include a number of characteristics.
- It will be necessary to invest an order of magnitude less money on creating a trimming machine than on purchasing industrial equipment for trimming wood, pipes, plastic and other things. Roughly experts on the re-equipment of the angle grinder invest in trimming from 500 to 1000 rubles.
- You have the opportunity to independently choose the performance characteristics for the future end face machine. These parameters include the dimensions of the working surface, the power of the electric motor, the diameter of the disks, the depth of cut and more.
- Manufactured devices have a simple design. For the reason that you independently assembled and disassembled the device, there will be no difficulties with finding breakdowns.
There are also disadvantages, among which several factors are particularly different.
- For home-made units, as a rule, they use old, useless materials, tools and devices. This adversely affects the quality, lifetime.
- They are not very often very powerful.
- In some situations, saving on the purchase of an industrial design becomes contrived, because a lot of money is spent on repairs, refurbishment, and preventive measures of a home-made unit.
- You expose yourself to risk, in terms of your own safety, using homemade trimming.
Having an angle grinder, a hand-held circular saw for wood and metal, you can freely make a home machine. Follow the instructions, follow safety instructions.
Be sure to consider the presence of protective guards, since working on such machines is not entirely safe.