How To Make A Dog House With Your Own Hands
A dog house with its own hands is a true concern for a pet, but on condition that such a miniature building is made with all the peculiarities of its inhabitant taken into account. This simple dwelling will protect the animal from heat and cold, precipitation and sun. If the dog likes the booth, it will become the main haven for her. Of course, in our time it will not be difficult to acquire a ready-made dog house and install it in the yard. However, firstly, it is quite expensive, and secondly, with your own hands, but with love, you can make such a house that is most optimal and suitable for your pet, and will also please the owner’s eye.
- Subtleties of construction facilities
- Where better to install a kennel
- How to construct a structure
- Video building a dog house with their own hands
- How to choose the parameters of the dog house
- What materials can be used?
- Stages of construction
- Video of building a dog house with their own hands – drawing
Subtleties of construction facilities
At its core, a dog house with its own hands or a kennel is a dog house where it sleeps, rests, hides from the weather. An important condition is that an animal should like such a dwelling, and it should use it absolutely voluntarily. Forced settlement of a dog in a kennel will cause only an unpredictable reaction and distance from the owner.
There are several basic requirements for a doghouse:
- It should be warm in winter, even when it is very cold outside, and cool in summer, in the heat.
- It must reliably protect from any precipitation, be windproof, sustainable even with strong winds.
- Water should not flow from below, i.e. litter should be dry.
- A doghouse should have sufficient mechanical strength, for example, given that the dog can climb onto the roof.
- The risk of injury (cuts, punctures, etc.) must be eliminated, both outside and inside.
- It is necessary to use materials that do not emit unpleasant odors for the dog, do not cause an allergic reaction and irritation.
- The animal inside the booth should feel safe: a review of the approach to the kennel, the ability to quickly jump out.
In addition to specific requirements, there are general wishes: simplicity of design and low price; the ability to manufacture of scrap materials; beautiful appearance and inconspicuous in the overall design.
Booth – hut
Where better to install a kennel
The location of the doghouse is selected taking into account the climatic features, the location of buildings and the habits of the animal. Based on the climatic factor, the site where the kennel is being built should be closed from the frequent and strong winds by the wall of the building, capital fence, etc. The house should not be placed in a completely open area where there will be a constant sun: it is enough light, but with a shadow (it is possible under a canopy). It is necessary to exclude frequent dampness, which means that it is not necessary to build a booth in a valley – it is better if this is a slight elevation.
Any dog is peculiar to the instinct of self-preservation and guard the owners, the territory.
With this in mind, the booth should be positioned so that the animal, being inside, can observe all approaches to its dwelling. In addition, the dog must see the entrance gate to the site, and preferably the entrance to the apartment building. If such conditions are not met, then the pet will not be calm. And with every rustle, he will run out to assess the situation. It is advisable to choose the site at some distance from the constant stimuli, for example, where people often go: road, pavement or playground. Otherwise, frequent dog barking is guaranteed.
It is worth thinking about the approaches to the kennel. Firstly, a normal approach should be ensured, even after long rains. Secondly, you shouldn’t unnecessarily move the house away, otherwise the owner will have to take a long walk to feed or water the pet, and in cold weather it is not very pleasant.
The booth must be installed in a suitable place.
How to construct a structure
Building a booth with your own hands should be very simple, but for optimal cutting of materials, it is better to draw up preliminary drawings with detailed breakdown. In principle, a dog house can be of a very simple design, for example, a box with 1 berth or a complicated structure: with a tambour or for 2 dogs, i.e. with an internal partition. In addition, special design solutions are sometimes used, which are associated with the desire to give a special appearance.
The most common is simple construction, which in the projection has the shape of a rectangle and consists of 4 walls (3 walls are deaf, and 1 side with a manhole), a roof and a bottom (floor). The roof, as a rule, is performed with a slope to the rear wall. Often the booth imitates the house, and in this case, the roof is made of two slopes with a small pediment and ridge. From the designer’s point of view, a dual-slope roof looks preferable, but the lean-to option allows the dog to lie on the roof, basking in the sun, which the animal loves very much.
The side and back walls are made deaf, to eliminate drafts. In the front wall, a round, oval or rectangular shaped manhole is formed, which serves as an entrance door for an animal.
When arranging the floor, you need to remember about 2 main problems: heat and dampness. First of all, at the bottom of the booth, a waterproofing layer is necessarily formed to eliminate the penetration of moisture from the soil. It is equally important to provide heat, for which it is worth thinking about a dry and warm bedding.
Complicated structures may have a divided internal space. A big box with a tambour is quite popular. The scheme of such a house is made so that the animal first enters the vestibule, and then enters (if desired) in the sleeping compartment. Such a design can be made in the form of a tram, i.e. both sections along the same line, or with a side entrance to the bedroom. In the latter case, the sleeping compartment is almost completely isolated from external exposure, which is especially good at puppy birth: a dog can lie down alone (in the vestibule) or with puppies. Rare enough other option – a house for 2 dogs. Such a paired design has 2 sections with different entrance openings.
Symmetrical booth for two
Video building a dog house with their own hands
How to choose the parameters of the dog house
The size of the dog house is chosen taking into account the fact that a large volume retains heat worse in winter, but at the same time the dog does not like the crowdedness. In other words, one should strive for optimal sizes, which means that they are chosen individually for each animal, taking into account its size. It should be understood that the pet should be able to calmly stand, sit and lie inside, turn around if necessary. It is necessary to take into account even such nuances as the desire of a dog to curl up or stretch, bring and nibble a favorite bone or hide it, as well as other individual characteristics of the animal (Fig. 2 Box dimensions).
Correctly select the size of the booth
The height of the booth is selected as follows: the height of the animal at the withers with the addition of 15-20 cm. The depth of the inner space should allow the dog to fully stretch in the prone position, that is, the following rule: the length of the dog from the tip of the tail to the claws of the front paws extended with the addition of 12-16 cm. The width of the kennel should allow the dog to lie across, that is, the dimensions must be at least the length of the animal from the tip of the nose to the tail plus 10-15 cm.
The dimensions of the manhole or the entrance to the house are important. It can not be too big, so as not to start the cold in winter, but at the same time allow you to quickly jump out if necessary. The following parameters are recommended for choosing the size of a manhole: height — dog’s height at the withers plus 6–12 cm, width — width of the chest plus 6–10 cm. The shape of the manhole may be rectangular or rounded (most often just on top).
It is possible to provide such recommendations on the choice of the size of a dog house:
What materials can be used?
The choice of material is important when arranging a doghouse. In such a construction, I want to make the most of available materials to reduce the cost of construction, and at the same time one should not allow odors and allergic reactions that are unpleasant for an animal. Your dog house, even an aviary, should be comfortable and not cause unnecessary associations.
The most popular material for such construction is wood, with conifers being preferred. For the booth frame, a timber of 8–10 cm in size is usually used for the main posts and floors, as well as a bar of 40–50 cm. Boarding is provided by a board with a thickness of 2–3 cm. Can be used for decoration and wall paneling. It is important that all wooden parts are well polished and impregnated with antiseptic.
In principle, in the manufacture of the kennel, you can use metal: a profile for the frame and a sheet for plating. Plywood is sometimes used. Do not use chipboard, because when heated under the sun, it can emit harmful substances. You should be very careful with plastic.
As a waterproofing, ruberoid is usually indispensable. Thermal insulation may be provided with mineral wool, foam, and other materials.
Stages of construction
When building a dog house with your own hands you need to take care in advance about the availability of such a tool:
- electric drill;
- paint brush;
- metal ruler;
- construction level;
The most simple doghouse in the form of a rectangular box with a lean-to roof is done in the following order:
- The first stage is the formation of the floor. A rectangular frame of 10×10 cm timber, which is 3-4 cm thick, is upholstered on top and bottom of the board. The waterproofing layer of roofing material is applied to the bottom casing. Insulation is mounted between the wooden layers. For the strength of the frame, it is recommended to fasten an additional beam diagonally. It is important that the upper floor paneling be without gaps or gaps.
- Installation of the main racks of the frame. In the corners of the structure (to the floor frame), racks of 10×10 cm timber are vertically attached.
- Mounting frame. Additional vertical bars are fixed between the main posts. Their number depends on the size of the house. The distance between the bars is recommended to be in the range of 20-30 cm. In the upper part, the vertical bars are interconnected by horizontal bars.
- Forming frame manhole. On the front side of the booth frame, a frame is made to strengthen the edges of the manhole. For this, a 4×4 or 5×5 cm beam is fixed according to the following scheme: 2 bars vertically with a distance between them equal to the width of the manhole, 1 beam horizontally at the height of the upper border of the inlet.
- The wall sheathing is carried out similarly to the floor: in the form of two layers, between which waterproofing and insulation are fixed. The inner lining, as a rule, is carried out by a board 2-3 cm thick, and the outer one by a board or clapboard.
- Roof mounting. For access to the inside of the booth, if necessary, the roof is recommended to make removable. In other words, it is manufactured separately and then mounted on the horizontal upper frame of the frame. The formation of a shed roof goes in this order: a frame is made of side boards in the shape of a right-angled triangle, providing the desired slope; front board and timber behind. The roof is double-layered with the installation of waterproofing and insulation. The top coating of the roof can be made of roofing paper, roofing felt or any other roofing material.
- The final stage – exterior finish. Most often painted booth in the desired color, and only outside. Apply should be paints and varnishes on a natural basis, without harsh odors.
A dog box made by own hands in a country house or in the yard of a private house will surely please your pet, if you take into account the particularities of the dog, and do everything correctly with taking care of the animal. A kennel is a fairly simple structure, but you need to make it so that the dog is warm, dry and comfortable.