How to Make Drill Heads
Types of metal cutters for a drill
Thanks to the use of mills that are mounted on electric drills, it is possible to process non-ferrous or ferrous metal, as well as products made from hardwood. There are several different types of special nozzles that can be used during milling:
- Cylindrical. Used to remove the metal layer directly from the workpieces themselves.
- Disk. They are used if it becomes necessary to cut grooves or grooves directly on the metal surface itself.
- Butt. They are used during the machining of the front part of the parts.
- End. Designed for making grooves and grooves of great depth on the surface of parts.
- Corner Suitable for machining corner grooves as well as sloping surfaces.
The cutter is selected depending on the type of work being carried out. For processing materials and workpieces made of wood, it is recommended to use special tools designed for wood processing.
Thanks to the use of a drill, it is problematic to carry out high-quality processing of products made from durable types of metal. This is due to the fact that for the processing of strong metals, a power tool equipped with a powerful electric motor is required. For processing dense material, the use of special milling cutters is recommended.
How to choose a metal router
It is quite simple to choose a mill for a drill. For this, during its selection, you need to pay attention to the following characteristics:
- The material that was used during the manufacture of the cutting part.
- Tooth sharpening level. It should be noted that there should be no cracks or microscopic chips on the teeth.
- Shank Type Some cutters are not always suitable for working with a power tool such as a drill.
Video: How to Make Drill Heads
How to work with a milling nozzle
The purpose of such a power tool as a drill is to make holes of large and small diameters on the work surface to be machined. It should be noted that such a tool is not intended for cutting or milling parts or products made of sheet metal.
- it does not tolerate a constant heavy load, so it is not recommended to use it for long-term work;
- It is not recommended to use a power tool that is equipped with a plastic gear;
- so that the milling nozzle does not fly out during operation, you need to remember that the electric drill cartridge does not tolerate lateral loads;
- the lower the power of the electric motor of the tool, the worse the quality of the cut will be.
When using a drill as an analog of a manual milling cutter, you need to constantly monitor the operation of all its moving elements. If the tool starts to get very hot, turn it off and allow time to cool completely.
How to make a nozzle for a do-it-yourself drill
On your own, at home, you can make three types of milling nozzles. The first type is made of a silicon drum from an ordinary lighter, which is mounted on the axis of the desired diameter. The second type of milling nozzles is made of a wooden cylinder, on the edges of which it is necessary to fix sandpaper. To create the third type, you need to grind the dowel and use it as a cutting nozzle.
Milling nozzles for electric drills are very popular in case of need for one-time, simple work. Thanks to their use, you can even make a home-made milling machine from an electric drill. However, it is worth noting that an electric drill will not be able to fully replace the router. Therefore, if it becomes necessary to carry out complex long-term work with solid materials, it is recommended to use a full-fledged factory-assembled router.