How To Mow With A Trimmer
Country notes Safety when working with a grass trimmer. How to properly mow lawns, slopes, tall grass with a trimmer. We clean and store petrol and
Working in wet weather
If there is a need to mow with a trimmer in any weather, then it definitely must be gasoline, since it tolerates wet weather well. Although, according to the instructions, work in the rain or on wet grass is also prohibited by some manufacturers of such gasoline equipment. When choosing a trimmer, this is also worth paying attention to.
The electric motor is most vulnerable to moisture in battery trimmers. Accordingly, if it is located on top, then there is less chance of moisture getting there from the grass, but in rainy weather they cannot work either.
Typically, water from wet grass enters the connectors of the extension cord, where an electric arc can occur that can ignite the insulating plastic or cause a short circuit. Such a defect is corrected by purchasing a new extension cord or replacing the plug, but moisture ingress on the engine or control circuit leads to irreversible failure of the trimmer. In addition, it is simply dangerous to work with such a tool in the rain, since there is a high probability of electric shock.
It is convenient to cut flower beds, lawns and paths along the edges with an electric trimmer with a lower engine, since its cutting plane can be placed vertically. For an even greater effect on the cutting line, it is useful to dig a groove of about 4×4 cm. Then the line will cut the grass below ground level without touching its surface. The result is a very clean, blemish-free vertical haircut.
How to mow with a trimmer
The trimmer should fit well in your hand. Many people prefer a fairly light tool that can be used on weight. Otherwise, it should be well balanced, on a comfortable strap or knapsack harness, as it will not be possible to mow properly with a trimmer without this. A very convenient tool with a bicycle handle allows you to easily hold the mowing head at approximately constant height while mowing and the tip of the cutting tool at the desired distance from the ground. In order for the fishing line to last longer, it is undesirable to bring it close to fences, curbs, brickwork and other solid objects. In addition, the head should not touch the ground unnecessarily.
How to choose a trimmer for a summer cottage? Which is better: gasoline or electric? Find out here.
The slope is also processed according to the principle of mowed grass to the left, choosing a direction so that its top is on the right. Having reached the end of the section, they return to the starting point, rise higher by the width of the stroke and mow the next strip.
If the site is large and level, and the grass is soft enough, then it is more convenient to mow along imaginary squares, mentally breaking the entire area into them. Having previously mowed the grass along the perimeter of the first, they continue to work along a tapering square spiral clockwise until the site is completely mowed. Then proceed to the next square. With this method, the cut grass always remains on the treated surface on the left side. In order to mow vegetation to the very root, it is necessary to keep the cutting plane at an angle of 30, with the tip of the fishing line almost touching the ground.
Of course, it is better to mow flat lawns with a trolley lawnmower, which allows you to make a smoother cut and collects the cut grass in a special grass catcher. The choice of such a lawn mower is described in this article.
DIY garden and vegetable garden
How to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
There are several situations in which a scythe in a summer cottage or suburban area can be optimal:
- The rains passed, and the grass grew greatly;
- There is too much grass for the trimmer, but there is no lawn mower;
- You need to mow the grass in an inconvenient place for the lawnmower (uneven soil, near shrubs or trees).
If the grass is too tall, more than 15 cm, then the trimmer will scatter it in the form of small debris throughout the area. In order to remove the mown vegetation quickly and without unnecessary debris, it is advisable to use a hand scythe. How to use it will be discussed in this article.
- Why mow the grass
- Where and when they mow the grass
- How to properly mow the grass: technique
- How to sharpen a braid with a bar
- The man who mows the grass
- Feedback from netizens
Why mow the grass
Weed grass has good adaptability to any growing conditions and grows everywhere. If the weeds are not destroyed, then in a couple of years they will turn any area into a wild field.
Weeds reproduce not only by seeds, but also by rhizomes. Thus, it will take a lot of time to remove some types of vegetation.
Growing weeds quickly develop the useful area of the site, intensively use nutrients and moisture from the soil. It is impossible to destroy uninvited flora that grows next to useful plants using chemical means.
This will lead to the death of all vegetation. It is for these reasons that it is imperative to mow the grass. To use your time rationally, you need to choose the right mowing tool:
- You need to mow with a lawn mower on a flat large area of a lawn or a recreation area;
- It is convenient to work with a trimmer in any area if the height of the grass is from 5 to 10 cm.
- Sidelong mow tall grass or vegetation on uneven ground.
When choosing a tool, it must be remembered that the older the braid, the better metal was used to make it.
Modern braids are significantly inferior in quality to Soviet ones. The size of the tool is indicated by a number from 3 to 9. The number determines the length of the blade: the larger the number, the longer the braid.
Where and when they mow the grass
The grass must be cut as it grows. Intensive growth of vegetation occurs at the end of April and May, especially after rains.
The cut grass must be immediately removed from the site, as unharvested parts of the plants can grow on wet ground. Then you can mow once every 2-3 weeks, depending on the growth of the vegetation.
If you do not start growing, then you can mow small shoots with a trimmer as they appear.
In hot weather, plant growth slows down and you need to mow less often. In the heat, you cannot mow the lawn too low, the grass will start to burn out.
The last mowing on the lawns is in October.
How to properly mow the grass: technique
A good mowing is ensured by a well-chosen working tool and its preparation for work.
Instructions for preparing for mowing:
- The tool must be sharp and not dull while you mow. Sharpen it on an abrasive wheel. The width of the circle is 1.5-2 cm, the blade is moistened during sharpening so that it is wet. The lower part is sharpened.
- Chipping is performed using a special hammer. The purpose of the beating is to prevent the rapid blunting of the blade when mowing.
- Both planes of the braid are sharpened with a bar. If you have no experience in sharpening such a tool, then it is advisable to find a professional.
- Starting position of the mower: take the tool; in work, the trunk will bend slightly, following the movement of the arms; the supporting leg is slightly in front; the body is slightly turned to the left.
- The swing of the mower will consist of two parts: first, the tool goes in one direction, then in the other.
- Swings are not wide; the arms move like pendulums from right to left and then a second swing from right to left.
- There should be no tension in the hands, otherwise you will quickly get tired.
- For comfortable mowing, the handle should be at waist level.
- When the mower is mowing, the heel of the scythe rakes up the cut plants and folds them on the side of the cut. It turns out a grass swath.
The mow must be straight and the width must not change. : how to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
How to sharpen a braid with a bar
Sharpening a braid with a bar can be difficult for a beginner. Here, as in any other business, there is its own instruction:
- Rest the braid on the ground, while the blade and block should be in your hands;
- The tool in this position has two planes: upper and lower;
- The upper one is sharpened with a sliding motion along the blade from itself to the side;
- The lower plane is sharpened by moving the bar with an effort upward from itself forward.
Bar for sharpening braids
The man who mows the grass
The mower puts his legs so that a comfortable support is formed during movement (the distance between the heels is about 35 cm) and brings the supporting leg forward.
- The swing consists of two techniques: the tool moves to the right, then backward movement to the left. The blade cuts the plants. Try to grab no more than 15 cm of grass.
- After 1-2 swings, a step forward is made with the left leg.
- Again 2 sweeps and a step forward with the right foot.
- Don’t slouch as your back muscles will get tired and you won’t be able to work for long.
- Watch your breathing technique. Take your time, just try to do the movements correctly.
Now that you know how to mow and how to sharpen a braid, remember that this is a traumatic tool and must be handled with care, especially if there are other people around you. Also, do not get distracted while mowing so as not to injure the slanting leg.
Here are some tips for cutting tall grass:
- Try not to overload the mechanism during the bevelling process.
- If tall grass gets tangled on the line, turn off the mechanism immediately so that the motor does not burn out.
- If your trimmer runs on gasoline, cutting wet grass is strictly prohibited.
We carry out the correct mowing in both cases
The device should move correctly in front of you and strictly from right to left, because the grass you mowed will surely fall onto an already mown area, which will give you the opportunity to initially mow the tops of the grass. Then you carry out a reverse motion, due to which you will remove any remaining branches of the grass.
- When working with large areas of the lawn, it is best to divide the work into several stages, visually dividing the territory into squares. In the process of mowing the grass, you should move along the outside, which will make it possible once again not to trample the grass at the same time, without complicating the mowing procedure for yourself. To make it easier to work, it is best to move from below, walking parallel to the already treated area, and then come back.
With this approach, you can easily use the line trimmer to mow the grass around the trees planted on the site, carefully bypassing them, and at the same time not loading the devices. By mowing the grass in the way we recommend above, you can reduce the likelihood of the grass scattering to the sides, making it faster and easier to cut.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer
Any owner of a country house or suburban area knows that in summer and spring time it is necessary to constantly look after the lawn, otherwise it will lose its external, attractive appearance. Therefore, many dacha owners are wondering how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. And before you start learning how to mow, you need to choose the right tool for the site and only then use it correctly on the lawn.
- Controlling the trimmer, as it may seem to many, is not an easy task, but also nothing special (there is nothing complicated in it) if you properly follow the safety measures and know how to operate it correctly, rather than a garden tool, the cutter of which is a metal disc.
How to cut tall grass with a line trimmer
It is advisable to cut tall grass in your garden with a powerful trimmer using thick fishing line. But many, most likely, will agree that in most cases, where the weeds are located, the ground will certainly be uneven, as a result of which the owners of such garden plots have different debris and all kinds of stones. To prevent your expensive device (trimmer) from breaking down the mow of tall grass, it is best and faster to mow in two passes. Those. The first step is to cut the entire top of the grass, identify the more difficult mowing areas and run the mower a second time.
When you are going to harvest the grass (using a trimmer) for hay, and you are more or less versed in the area of your plot, then you can predict the course of the mowing of the grass in advance, so it will be faster, more convenient and easier for you. The main thing in such a situation is not to rush to mow, but to approach business competently with a cool head.
How to properly mow with a line trimmer
Mowing with a line mower is much safer than a trimmer equipped with a cord, but this is not always optimal and profitable. The cutting main element (mechanism) must be selected based on the garden area and the height of the weed.
- Previously, we looked at how to mow with a line lawnmower in automatic or semi-automatic mode and manual. In automatic mode, the main cutting element (line) is thrown out after each start of the device motor. On the one hand, this is very convenient, but on the other hand, it is not very economical, for example, your garden plot of a non-standard shape has uneven corners, notches, and with each next transition from place to place, you need to turn off the device and then turn it on again. In this case, it is best to use the second, semi-automatic option. This is when the line is fed in the trimmer by pressing a special button located at the very bottom of the drum (in the cutting area). You just need to press the tip to the ground and the line will be thrown out.
If you are an operator, you should understand that the length of the ends of the cutting element (line), which is located on the drum in an extended (working) state, should not exceed 15 cm. This length should be sufficient for the average power of the grass trimmers.
What you need to do to properly, easily and quickly mow the grass with a trimmer with a line in order for the device itself to serve you much longer than usual.
- Try to keep the main drum (spool) at least 5 cm off the ground.
- When mowing taller grass, mow the top first, and then get close to the stalks to protect your device from damage and prevent mower failure.
- In the process of mowing grass, it is imperative to introduce the cutting element (trimmer) in which the reel rotates in the direction.
- It is best to mow the lawn grass, which is located near the walls of the garden area as a decoration, using only the edges of the line so as not to overload the engine and not wear it out too much.
- Every 15-20 minutes worked, let the device rest.
Depending on what kind of trimmer you have, you still need to prepare it before starting work. If the trimmer is electric, we need to charge it, or turn it on to the 220 Volt network and start working like that. If you are using the grass trimmer with gasoline fuel, fill the tank. Prepare and check the cutting element, depending on the design. It won’t be superfluous to check the safety of the trimmer. When working with the device, it must be hung on the body and hold onto the handles correctly. Use protective goggles or a special mesh (protective) helmet during beveling.
Can wet grass be cut with a trimmer and lawn mower and how do I do it?
Arrangement of a suburban area (and even a local area in a city) is a very complicated matter. Especially because you have to look after the farm all the time. Many people also have questions about how to do this or that work, for example, is it possible to mow wet grass with a trimmer.
Features of the situation
Of course, such a question will not arise for those who live in the immediate vicinity of the lawn. Then you can wait a while, and work when the grass dries up. But the need to remove wet grass arises immediately if you can visit the site only occasionally. What to do if you have to mow the lawn on the weekend, on another day with rainy weather, that’s the subtlety. The opinions of the summer residents themselves differ, therefore it makes little sense to be guided by their position. You need to figure out the nuances yourself.
The role of equipment
It should be pointed out at the outset that there are two main types of trimmers that relate differently to wet vegetation. Some devices are equipped with a gasoline engine, others are set in motion by connecting to the mains or installing a battery. In turn, electric mowers are divided into two subgroups: with the location of the motor in the lower or upper part of the machine. Safe enough for the user to remove wet grass can only be gasoline trimmers or hand scythes.
In this case, it is strongly undesirable to use an electric lawn mower. Sometimes you can come across assertions that this requirement applies only to devices with a lower motor placement. Such an electric motor comes into direct contact with water. Because of this contact, you can be afraid of a short circuit.
If water does get inside the power plant, there is a risk not only of a short circuit, but also of an electric shock. It is worth noting that these restrictions apply not only to trimmers, but also to full-fledged lawn mowers. The assurances of manufacturers and marketers about safety should not be taken into account. To minimize the risk for yourself and your equipment, you should use a petrol cutter. But there are a few more subtleties that must be taken into account.
Even if the mower does not fail and its owner is not shocked (let’s say such a favorable situation for a minute), it is still impossible to mow wet grass with an electric trimmer. This is a deliberately abnormal mode of operation, due to which the equipment wears out too quickly. Wet vegetation is much more resistant to cutting elements than it should be. Therefore, even very well insulated motors are overloaded.
Due to the sticking of wet grass to the knives and to the spindle, the load on them will necessarily increase. This cannot be avoided, and no skill of mowers, no methods and schemes of lawn clearing help. Not only the motor suffers, but also the shaft, which sometimes turns.
Problems when mowing wet grass can also arise with gasoline machines. Yes, they are more powerful than their electrical counterparts, but the load still exceeds normal values. Piston pairs and other moving parts are most likely to be hit. If there is no way out other than using a gasoline mower, you need to take care of it. When mowing raw grass, the machine is periodically switched to idle mode without load. 30 seconds is enough to remove excess heat, as well as save the trimmer resource.
And more about different situations
When talking about mowing wet grass, you need to distinguish between the following possible situations:
- It is wet after rain;
- It is raining;
- The reason for the moisture is a damp area (lowland or soil water).
In the first case, it is quite possible to take a chance and try to put things in order with a petrol mower. In the second, mowing is impractical. In the third, you will first have to solve something with moisture and only then put the lawn or lawn in order. If you often have to mow wet grass after rain or dew in a small area, then it is better to use not a trimmer or a lawn mower, but a simple hand scythe. You need to look not only at the grass that is being removed, but also at the one where the power cable is placed.
Moisturizing it can be a very serious risk factor. To mow the grass after rain, you need to wait a little. A few minutes, even with a very big rush, will not noticeably reduce the time that can be allocated for mowing.
As for mowing raw grass, there are still the following objections to it:
- Walking with a trimmer or lawn mower is more difficult in such conditions, you can easily fall and get injured;
- You will have to spend more time on work;
- After mowing, it will be necessary to thoroughly clean the machine itself;
- Wet chlorophyll will leave more stains on clothes, leather, shoes.
Now you need to figure out exactly how to act if you still decide to use a gasoline trimmer to clean your lawn or lawn in wet weather. An important rule is to keep the grass at the optimum length. By overly shortening it, especially in the summer, summer residents run the risk of provoking early drying of plants. It is unlikely that this will contribute to a good appearance.
Sure, wear durable, waterproof footwear. Use headphones or earplugs only when working with a two-stroke petrol trimmer. On a large clearing with flat grass, mowing is carried out along imaginary squares, conventionally dividing the entire territory into them. They first move along the perimeter of each square, then mow it from the inside and move on to the next part of the lawn. Regardless of the weather, before starting work, you should do the following:
- Check the serviceability of the equipment;
- Remove all debris and foreign objects from the site;
- Replace, if necessary, worn cutting elements;
- Are determined with the direction of the mow so that the lawn does not resemble a washboard.