How to mow with an electric lawn mower
How to sharpen a braid with a bar
Sharpening a braid with a bar can be difficult for a beginner. Here, as in any other business, there is its own instruction:
- rest the braid on the ground, while the blade and the block should be in your hands;
- the tool in this position has two planes: upper and lower;
- the upper one is sharpened by a sliding motion along the blade from itself to the side;
- the lower plane is sharpened by moving the bar with an effort upward from itself forward.
Bar for sharpening braids
Where and when they mow the grass
The grass must be cut as it grows. Intensive growth of vegetation occurs at the end of April. May, especially after rains.
Lawn Mowing Alternatives. Electric Mower
The cut grass must be immediately removed from the site, as unharvested parts of the plants can grow on wet ground. Then you can mow once every 2-3 weeks, depending on the growth of the vegetation. If you do not start growth, then you can mow small shoots with a trimmer as they appear.
In hot weather, plant growth slows down and you need to mow less often. In the heat, you must not mow the lawn too low. the grass will begin to burn out.
The last mowing on the lawns is in October.
Why mow the grass
Weed grass has good adaptability to any growing conditions and grows everywhere. If weeds are not destroyed, then in a couple of years they will turn any area into a wild field. Weeds reproduce not only by seeds, but also by rhizomes. Thus, it will take a lot of time to remove some types of vegetation.
Growing weeds quickly develop the useful area of the site, intensively use nutrients and moisture from the soil. It is impossible to destroy uninvited flora that grows next to useful plants using chemical means.
How to Use an Electric Lawn Mower. Electric Corded Lawn Mower
This will lead to the death of all vegetation. It is for these reasons that it is imperative to mow the grass. To use your time rationally, you need to choose the right mowing tool:
When choosing a tool, it must be remembered that the older the braid, the better metal was used to make it. Modern braids are significantly inferior in quality to Soviet ones. The size of the tool is indicated by a number from 3 to 9. The number determines the length of the blade: the larger the number, the longer the braid.
How to properly mow the grass: technique
Good mowing is ensured by a well-selected working tool and its preparation for work.
Instructions for preparing for mowing:
- The tool must be sharp and not dull while you mow. Sharpen it on an abrasive wheel. The width of the circle is 1.5-2 cm, the blade is moistened during sharpening so that it is wet. The lower part is sharpened.
- Chipping is performed using a special hammer. The purpose of the beating is to prevent the blade from dulling quickly when mowing.
- Both planes of the braid are sharpened with a bar. If you have no experience in sharpening such a tool, then it is advisable to find a professional.
- initial position of the mower: take the tool; in work, the body will bend slightly, following the movement of the arms; the supporting leg is slightly in front; the trunk is slightly turned to the left.
- the swing of the mower will consist of two parts: first, the tool goes in one direction, then in the other.
- swings are not wide; arms move like pendulums. from right to left and then a second swing from right to left.
- the swings are smooth. there should be no tension in the hands, otherwise you will quickly get tired.
- for comfortable mowing, the handle should be at waist level.
- when the mower is mowing, the heel of the scythe rakes up the cut plants and folds them on the side of the cut. It turns out a grass swath.
The mow must be straight and the width must not change. how to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
How to properly mow the grass with a hand scythe
There are several situations in which a scythe in a summer cottage or suburban area can be optimal:
- the rains have passed, and the grass has grown greatly;
- there is too much grass for the trimmer, but there is no lawn mower;
- you need to mow the grass in an inconvenient place for the lawn mower (uneven soil, near shrubs or trees).
If the grass is too tall. more than 15 cm, then the trimmer will scatter it in the form of small debris throughout the area. In order to remove the mown vegetation quickly and without unnecessary debris, it is advisable to use a hand scythe. How to use it will be discussed in this article.
- Why mow the grass
- Where and when they mow the grass
- How to properly mow the grass: technique
- How to sharpen a braid with a bar
- The man who mows the grass
- Feedback from netizens
The man who mows the grass
The mower puts his legs so that a comfortable support is formed during movement (the distance between the heels is about 35 cm) and brings the supporting leg forward.
- The swing consists of two techniques: the tool moves to the right, then backward movement to the left. The blade cuts the plants. Try to grab no more than 15 cm of grass.
- After 1-2 strokes, step forward with the left foot.
- Again 2 swings and a step forward with the right foot.
- Do not slouch as your back muscles will get tired and you will not be able to work for long.
- Watch your breathing technique. Take your time, just try to do the movements correctly.
Now that you know how to mow and how to sharpen a braid, remember that this is a traumatic tool and must be handled with care, especially if there are other people around you. Also, do not get distracted while mowing, so as not to injure the slanting leg.
How to mow with an electric lawn mower
Lawn grass is cut regularly, trying not to miss the moment when it grows up to 10 cm. It is better to choose dry weather, but the grass should not be dry, on the contrary. slightly damp. On dry soil, the mower will clog up very soon and the sod will be pulled out by the roots.
It is advisable to mow the lawn grass that has been growing on your site for several years for the first time in a season immediately after the snow melts. The earth should dry out a little, and the plants should start growing. Adjust the Levia mowers so that they knock down only the tops of the blades of grass, do not cut the lawn short for the first mow.
Experts advise mowing in the morning or evening. At dawn or before sunset, the blades of grass are more drawn to the sun, stand evenly, and all the irregularities of the cover are in full view.
Provided that the weather is sunny and warm, you need to mow the lawn once a week, then it grows intensively, retains its density and freshness. In inclement weather and prolonged precipitation, the haircut is postponed until the grass dries well. Wet blades of grass clog the mower, get tangled, wrinkle, and as a result, the lawn is uneven, torn.
How to mow a lawn in autumn
So that in the spring you can enjoy a smooth and well-groomed lawn, take care of the grass in the fall. Clean it from fallen leaves and debris using a fan rake, cut it, guided by the following rules:
the last time the treatment is carried out when the average daily air temperature does not fall below 12 ° C;
if then it suddenly gets colder and becomes warm again, you can cut the grass again.
As a rule, for central Russia, the pre-winter haircut period ranges from early to mid-September. Repeated, if necessary, and in warm weather can be carried out in October.
The cut grass is removed immediately; it is not recommended to leave it on the lawn. The remains may contain mice, rats, insects, which will seriously spoil the exterior of the cover by spring. In addition, mold quickly forms under the layer of mown and caked grass, which subsequently causes various types of fungal and bacterial diseases.
How to care for your lawn after mowing
After you have mowed and removed the cut grass from the lawn, a set of simple measures should be taken:
Use ordinary garden forks to pierce the turf to a depth of 30 cm with a minimum distance between punctures of 30 cm.Leave the lawn alone for a couple of days.
Sow the grass where bald spots have formed during the winter. In the fall, this moment should be omitted, since in winter the plants will not take root, but will simply freeze.
Cover the pits that appear on the site with garden soil mixed with peat in a 1: 1 ratio.
Feed plants with preparations containing phosphorus and potassium.
In dry, hot weather, the plants are shortened to a height of at least 4 cm. The higher you leave the blades of grass, the more moisture is retained in the turf. It is very difficult to mow lawn grass that has grown above 10 cm, plus, after cutting, it is much more difficult for plants to recover. Blades of grass stretch upward, exhausting their resources, become thinner, become weak and die.
If you did not have time to mow the grass in time, after the procedure, treat the surface with Purshat-M for lawn grass. This is a modern remedy designed to increase the immunity and resistance of plants to various kinds of negative factors. In particular:
the destructive effects of UV radiation;
fungal and bacterial diseases;
Forming a thin waxy film on the surface of the grass, the preparation controls moisture evaporation by keeping it inside the plant tissues. This significantly increases the interval between irrigations and reduces the total water consumption.
Lawns for the lazy
It so happens that the owners simply have no time to regularly mow the lawn. For such gardeners, it is worth recommending planting grass that does not need to be mowed at all. Look for grass mixes that include the following herbs:
red or hairy fescue;
The best option for those who do not have time to search. Moorish lawn.
Important rules for mowing
The main rules of lawn mowing are reduced to a single concept. do not harm! The main ones are:
do not cut more than a third of the grass at a time;
do not cut the grass too low to the ground;
use only a sharp mowing tool.
With frequent shearing, the blades of grass try to adapt and take the desired shape, not increasing the mass, but letting go of the strength to develop new shoots that form a dense and beautiful grass cover.
Lawn mower practice
Any complex technical device takes some time to get used to. If you have not had the experience of working with mowers of any design, the first step is to study the instructions in order to clearly understand which levers and knobs are used to control the lawn mower motor, and which ones are used to adjust the mowing parameters. In addition, you will need to learn how to adjust the position of the cutting edge of the lawn mower so as to mow the grass in an even and neat layer, leaving the laid 3-4 cm of vegetation throughout the entire area.
Adjusting and starting the lawn mower motor
Maintaining and adjusting the engine speed is considered to be the most difficult stage in preparing a lawn mower for work. Therefore, before engaging in the struggle with complex equipment, even with some experience, be sure to read and re-read the operating instructions. The typical procedure for preparing a new motor for operation is approximately as follows:
- The mower must be placed on a firm, level surface, and all folding elements and handles must be screwed into position. The wheel drive engaging lever must be disabled. If the mower is equipped with a spark cut-off system, be sure to turn it off;
- It is only necessary to mow with an absolutely serviceable lawn mower, therefore, before starting the engine, it is necessary to inspect it and make sure that there is no oil and fuel leakage. With a gloved hand, check the tightness of the chip on the candle and proceed to refueling with fuel and oil;
- The filling of liquids is carried out using the dipsticks; for the oil sump of the motor, it will be necessary to fill in the grease according to the average measure, no more. If overflowed, liquid may squeeze out of the vent or through the gasket;
- Be sure to change the oil after running in. If you decide to use semi-synthetics, do not switch to mineral water, and vice versa. For about the first 20-30 hours after running in the engine, it is necessary to mow the grass at medium and low speeds. The performance will be low, but in the end you will significantly benefit in the resource of the motor, after a couple of mows you can mow in normal mode.
What kind of oil should I put in the mower? High quality mineral or semi-synthetics. It is most appropriate to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations, rather than follow the advice of the seller of motor oils.
Do not believe the fables of sellers and advertising slogans about preliminary running-in of motors at the enterprise. This procedure is carried out in full at the enterprise only for powerful high-speed motors with a high degree of forcing.
The easiest way to mow with high-octane unleaded fuel, but only if you are 100% confident in the quality of the gasoline. The engine of the lawn mower keeps the revs well and practically does not get warm. American and Chinese engines work fine on the A-92, European versions may be more capricious in the choice of gasoline. For two-stroke engines, gasoline is mixed with a special oil in a 50: 1 ratio.
We start the motor in the following sequence:
- Before starting, check the position of the lawn mower motion control knob, the transmission must be turned off, otherwise at the moment the engine starts, the mower will begin to move and mow on its own. We turn off the power to the magneto or the ignition system and turn the motor shaft several times with a starter cord or using a starter.
- We turn on the ignition, close the air damper and try to start the engine.
- If the start fails, turn off the ignition, open the air damper and, turning the shaft with the starter for a few seconds, blow through the combustion chamber.
- After successfully starting the engine, move the throttle control lever to the position corresponding to the rpm between medium and lowest.
Start the lawn mower engine only if there is no fuel leakage at the pipe connections.
Almost all models have the ability to mow and dump the grass into the grass catcher, so we choose a convenient place for the lawn mower to park in order to remove and unload the grass box and convert the machine or simply inspect it if necessary. There will also be fuel, tools and spare candles.
Lawn Mower Control Basics
In fact, any of the lawn mowers is a motor with a pair of sharp knives mounted on the motor shaft. The entire structure of the motor shaft with the impeller is covered with plastic or steel protection and fixed to the wheel cart. Despite the relatively large weight of the unit, in theory, any adult without special physical training can mow with a lawn mower. However, mowing grass is not as easy as it might look on an advertisement.
To operate the mower correctly and safely, you must:
- Correctly service the device, adjust and prepare the mower for work;
- It is good to navigate the terrain of the mowed area. Before starting work, inspect the area and remove stones, large branches, any debris that can break off the cutting edge, knife and engine;
- If there are flower beds or shrubs on the lawn, it is necessary to think in advance about the route of the mower and the place to unload the container with cut grass.
Modern lawn mowers make it possible to adjust the position of the handle for any height or features of the constitution and physique of a person. The easiest way to mow and steer the cart is if your hands on the handle are at the level of the center of gravity of the body or 2-3 cm higher.
With a large mass of the lawn mower, the control handle requires a lot of effort, therefore, when choosing a model, choose a design with an aluminum or steel tubular frame.
This is especially true for front-wheel drive lawn mowers. Owners of front-driven mowers like to hang the front axle, thereby reducing traction and adjusting the direction of travel of the machine by turning the body on the rear axle in the desired direction.
How to operate a lawn mower
Any advertisement presents a modern lawn mower as a versatile tool capable of doing the work of a dozen mowers in an hour. In addition to high productivity, a lawn mower allows you to get a good quality lawn and successfully mow, regardless of skill, with relatively little physical activity. But working with a lawn mower is not so easy, it requires a certain skill in operating the machine and a good knowledge of the terrain.
Lawn Mower Blade Adjustments
Before mowing, adjust the height of the blades above the ground. Most often, the lift of the mower body above the grass is set with one handle, less often with two. for each pair of wheels, this helps to mow lawns with very dense and heavy grass.
The heavier the mower body, the lower the cutting edges can be. Most often this is a value of 20-25 mm. It is good to mow soft grass with a low position of the cutting plane, for hard and high one it is necessary to adjust not only the clearance, but also the angle of inclination of the lawn mower body.
The forward tilt helps to compensate for the backward tilt of the windrower if the handle is pushed too hard. Especially if the grass is wet. it is difficult to mow, the rear drive wheels may slip. For a front-drive lawnmower, this tilt will only impair the performance of the mower, skips will appear and the surface will remain uneven.
How to mow without blunders
First of all, you need to mow without putting excessive unnecessary force on the control handle. The lawn mower was designed without taking into account this overload on the rear axle. For the front-drive version of the mower, this impairs the mowing quality. When working on the rear-wheel drive version, this “help” wears out the transmission and leads to the appearance of potholes in the lawn, it becomes more difficult to mow. In addition, it can easily damage the knife, motor or mow the grass on the ground.
The art of lawn mowing comes with practice. Most often, the direction of movement is corrected by moving the handle to the left or right. In particularly difficult cases, you can mow even on difficult paths by slightly tilting the mower body to the left or right, increasing the traction of the wheels on one side and loosening on the other. The controls are simple, but require practice and skill.
It is considered the most difficult to mow near a curb or fence. Such work requires accuracy and a good eye. Most often, damage to knives occurs when trying to mow in areas interspersed with gravel or under the edge of a stone blind area.
Models with a piano suspension of the front pair of wheels are best mowed in such difficult conditions. For complex edge configurations, mowing with such a lawn mower is much easier.
WHY CLEAN THE MOWER AFTER WORK
Lawn mower care: correct use of your garden equipment. guarantee of its longevity
MAINTENANCE OF THE CUTTER
- We disconnect the electric mower from the power supply, and put the gasoline mower on the brake (it is advisable to drain the fuel before that). We unfasten the grass catcher (the container in which the mown lawn is located, there are models without a grass catcher).
- We put the mower on its side. We put on protective gloves so as not to injure our hands and clean the knife from the remnants of grass and other waste with a brush. When the knife is dull, then remove it (below we will write how to do this). The cutting knife looks like a bar that is 50 cm long and 2.5 mm thick.
- Next, you can clamp the knife in a vice and process it with a file. It is worth noting that its cutting part is hardened and therefore your actions must be careful. We process only the damaged part with a small file. In the event that the knife is accidentally bent, place it on a firm and level place, and then level it with a hammer. Use a file to remove large burrs and remove small ones with a bar. The block should move from itself from the center of the knife to the edge. As if we are sharpening a braid. You can also sharpen on electric machines, just do not grind a lot, otherwise you will have to throw out the knife. it may break during operation.
- Finally, we set the knife to its original position.
PRINCIPLE # 1: PROPER USE
- When operating, strictly follow the instructions for the lawnmower, pay particular attention to when it is necessary to take a break from work. For example, taking a break from working with the lawn mower at the wrong time can lead to overheating of the motor and subsequent troubles.
- After you finish mowing the lawn, remember to remove any grass residues from the deck and knives each time.
- Be sure to store the lawnmower in a heated and dry room, do not expose it to rainfall.
- After work, do not forget to turn off the equipment, because its spontaneous movement can lead not only to damage to the lawn, but also become a threat to you and your family members. Never inspect and repair the unit while the engine is running.
- If damage is found (cracks, chips, dents), it is necessary to contact a specialized service center for diagnostics. A problem detected in time will not lead to serious damage and therefore save money.
- If the lawn is heavily neglected and the grass is tall, do not cut it in one pass from the mower. This will put a lot of stress on the engine and the knives will work less efficiently, it is better to walk a few times, removing the grass gradually.
- In order to avoid dullness of the knives from touching the soil, it is necessary to level the unevenness of the soil before mowing.
- For a high-quality mow, drive the mower slowly and only forward (the knife device is designed with an eye on mowing in only one direction).
- To avoid possible injury, use only shoes on the mower and preferably have no exposed areas of your body. Since a stone can hit the knife and bounce back on you.
- It is advisable not to use the mower near trees, poles, curbs, it is very easy to blunt and break knives there. In such places, garden shears or a trimmer will be more effective.
- If you want to have a striped lawn (the stripes on the lawn alternate between bright and dark grass colors), you should mow, constantly changing direction, and a special roller should be installed on the mower.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE STARTING
Nowadays, lawn mowers are produced in two main types: electric and gasoline.
Electric Mowing Tips and Tricks
Petrol lawn mowers are very convenient when mowing grass at a distance from your home. Their main advantage is mobility, since they are not tied to a specific place, you can move to the farthest corner of the site and work there. Gasoline engines are much more powerful than electric ones and are capable of mowing for many hours without interruption (does not affect the engine). Gasoline lawn mowers are several times higher and the speed of mowing grass along with electric.
Before turning on the mower, you should first check for the presence of fuels and lubricants, and most importantly. oil, because if it is absent or not enough, then the engine can jam during operation, and you will have to spend a lot on repairs.
Electric lawn mowers are less noisy than gasoline mowers, they are also cleaner (more environmentally friendly) and more economical to use (especially when the electricity bill is inexpensive). The main drawback of such a lawn mower is limited mobility due to the connection with a cord to a power source, and the extension cord is often confused and clings to everything.
Before starting the electric lawn mower, you should first check if the extension cord and the power cable itself, as well as the functionality of the socket, are not damaged.