How to Pick a Chain For a Saw
The tire and chain are the working “duet” of the saw, which is responsible for the efficiency and accuracy of sawing wood. The modern market is literally filled with all kinds of tire and chain models that are suitable for one or another purpose. How to choose suitable parts from the entire range of products? We will give answers to this and other questions together.
How to choose the right chain for the saw. we understand the details
In its importance, the chain is often put by experts on a par with the saw engine. Therefore, if you want to choose a suitable saw element, you should approach its selection with particular responsibility. To choose a chain for a saw, you should pay attention to the following parameters:
- Compatibility with a saw. in other words, you should choose the part that was released by the manufacturer of the tool itself. In this case, the risk of making a mistake and acquiring an unsuitable saw element is reduced to zero;
- Decide on the tasks of the chain. if you are looking for a saw element with high performance, then select the part in increments of 3/8 inch. If the saw is used only to solve simple domestic problems, then the purchase of a saw element with a chain pitch of 0.325 inches will be optimal;
- Sharpening angle. this parameter is important for further repair, maintenance and restoration of the saw element. productive chains have a sharpening angle of 30 °. such saw elements are easier to accept high loads. However, for complex wood processing. if it is frozen or wet. you should stop on a chain with a sharpening angle of 10 °;
- The length of the saw element. must correspond to the length of the saw bar. Even if, over time, the chain stretches and sags, this problem can be solved by removing several links.
In addition to these parameters, the cutting method and material that can be processed should be taken into account. Be sure to keep in mind that for the purpose of longitudinal cutting, a chain with a small sharpening angle will be optimal. The performance of such a chain will be slightly less, however, its service life will increase significantly.
Features of choosing a tire for a saw
When buying a tire, the first thing you should pay attention to is the material from which it is made. If it is strong enough and reliable, then the part will serve for a long time and in good condition. In addition to the material, when choosing a tire, you need to study its following parameters:
- Shank. with its help, you can determine the correspondence of the tire with your saw model. It’s all about the location of the saw tensioners and the holes for supplying oil to the chain. Most well-known brands produce branded shanks for their saw models. At the same time, shanks from different companies can replace each other;
- Groove width. in today’s market, you can choose tires with a groove width of 1.1 and 1.3 mm for household saws of low power, as well as 1.5 and 1.6 mm for more powerful saw models;
- Saw tire length. this parameter is one of the most important when choosing a part. To determine the length of the saw tire, you will need to measure the distance between the extreme point of the toe of the tire and the gear. Most often, it is 12-20 inches. it all depends on the model of the saw. The longer the selected tire is, the larger the tree you can cut.
Видео: How to Pick a Chain For a Saw
Properly selected and compatible tire, chain and saw will allow you to work efficiently and quietly without the extra cost of money and time.
How to put a chain on a saw. a detailed algorithm
Choosing a saw element for your tool, you probably wondered how to put the chain on the saw with your own hands. In fact, there is nothing complicated in this procedure. All that is required of you is to carefully study the specified algorithm and observe it when working.
To install the chain on the saw, you need to act in this order:
- First you need to move the protective shield, while lowering the brake lever;
- Next, use a screwdriver to turn the tensioner and unscrew the nut. Thus, you loosen the tension of the old chain;
- Remove the cover and separate the tire with the chain from the sprocket;
- Then remove the old chain and install a new saw element in its place;
- After that, install the tire on the saw, and adjust the chain tension with the screw. Try to pull the new chain smoothly, avoiding jerking.
- Lower the brake lever and unscrew the nut;
- Remove the cover and push the tire back a little;
- Remove the old chain and install a new saw blade. In this case, the new chain is mounted first on the dismantled sprocket, and then along the entire length of the tire;
- After that, the sprocket must be replaced and the nut tightened.
At the end, it remains to turn the tension wheel in the direction shown by the arrow on the housing, and tighten the wing to the end.
How to sharpen a saw chain with your own hands?
Many craftsmen sharpen a chain of a saw at the first symptoms of wear of its cutting teeth. However, using a specific tool for this procedure does not work. To work, you need to stock up on a whole set of special equipment. To do this, you will need:
- Flat file. it is needed to adjust the depth gauge;
- A round file having landmark lines;
- Mandrel. it will help in determining the angle.
Using a round file, be sure to protrude above the chain teeth by no more than 1/5 of its length. The first sharpened tooth of the chain needs to be marked with a marker, so as not to go in the second round.
Do-it-yourself sharpening the saw chain with precise and rhythmic movements and only one way. After making a few sharpenings, proceed to the processing of the limiter. over time, it wears out and loses its shape. When working, attach the gauge with the end side to the edge of the stopper. If the limiter greatly extends beyond the caliber, then it will have to be trimmed with a flat file. In this case, the gauge should be located strictly perpendicular to the saw bar.
Determine the result of sharpening the chain visually does not work. You can only find out if you did everything correctly when sawing wood.
How the saw chain is lubricated. a procedure for beginners
As a rule, saw chain lubrication is performed using high-quality automotive oil. The only important point is that you should not use the used compounds, as they will only harm the garden tool.
Before adding oil, disconnect the saw from the power supply. If the saw is equipped with an automatic oil supply system, the lubricant must be poured into a separate tool container, and then start work.
If you notice that the chain on the saw is not lubricated even if there is a large amount of oil in the tank, then first of all you will need to check the plunger pump of the tool. In most models, it is made of soft plastic, and the teeth on it very quickly become unusable. In such cases, replacing the part will be quite expensive, which is why many owners prefer to buy new saws.
If there is no such automatic lubrication system in the saw, the chain is lubricated in a completely different way. To do this, dip the chain in oil, and then install it back onto the saw. The chain lubrication must be plentiful, otherwise, due to lack of oil, the saw engine will be subjected to heavy loads.