How to properly cut corners on slopes
How to cut and glue the corners on door and window jambs
When the doors and windows are installed, you need to deal with finishing slopes, as a rule, this is the final stage. To hide minor roughness and give a finished aesthetic appearance, many use prefabricated corners. How to properly cut and glue a corner made of plastic, cork or fiberboard? Below are detailed recommendations for their installation.
1 Why do we need to mount the angle on soffits?
Let’s start with the most important why it is necessary? What role do the corners play only decorative or they have more serious functions? Let’s not argue that if you frame Plastic corners are made by hot-bending a sheet of polyvinyl chloride. In general, they have the same width of the shelves from 10 to 40 mm with a step of 5 mm. However, there are asymmetrical copies, such as 10×25 mm, but regardless of this parameter, the angle between the sides is 90 degrees. If it is necessary to transform the arched opening, it is done by means of a special flexible profile. Their advantages include a relatively low cost, they do not need to be painted, unlike the same wood.
The next type. corners made of cork. Such decorative elements are quite often used for arched openings, but this does not mean that their use is limited to this area. They can also be used to decorate soffits of various shapes. Cork has a number of advantages, including durability, fire resistance, practicality and environmental friendliness. In principle, this material has almost no disadvantages, except that if your pet wants to sharpen the claws on it, it will damage the surface.
Also note the wooden and bamboo products, which will always be a sign of excellent taste and fit into almost any interior. In addition, we should not forget about their environmental friendliness. True, such elements are somewhat more expensive than their counterparts from other materials, but also often need to be painted. Even with natural wood can be compared and a material such as wood-fiber board, but it costs much lower, because for its creation using wood dust.
You can see that the range is quite extensive, and there are many to choose from. But what is the guideline for this? Of course, no matter how much we would like, but almost always the budget is limited. So first of all we have to proceed from our financial situation. As mentioned above, plastic products are quite acceptable price, with their appearance is not much inferior to counterparts made of natural materials. But, in addition to the price, you should also pay attention to the fact that these elements of decor in harmony with the design of the room.
For arches, you should buy special multi-sexed arched corners, they perfectly maintain their position when bent. Keep in mind that the wider the sides of this element, the heavier the load it can withstand.
3 Installation of the corners on the window or door soffits
Once you understand what such products are made of, what their features are, and having decided on the choice, you should study how to install the corners on the slopes. Detailed instructions are shown below.
In addition to the corners themselves, we also need an adhesive compound, with which we will fasten the selected element. When choosing it, it is worth remembering that quite often, especially if you need to glue a narrow product, the glue leaks out from under it and, of course, gets on the walls. This can damage the latter and consequently have a negative effect on the appearance of the room as a whole. Therefore, you should choose a glue composition, the excess of which can be removed from the surface.
Mostly the corners are glued to the new soffits, but make sure the surface is relatively flat, because the big bumps will not be covered by any trim. It should be free of foreign objects like nails, self-tapping screws, etc. д. It is also necessary to degrease it, for this purpose white spirit is suitable.
How to cut baseboard angles on different slopes
Before discussing how to mount the corners on the slopes, you should know how to cut them correctly. After all, this step is the most time-consuming of all, and perhaps even the most important, because it depends on how their edges will fit together, and this directly affects the aesthetic appearance of the room. It is best to use a fine toothed hacksaw. First it is necessary to measure the length of an aperture, then we put marks on the corner so that the piece corresponded to this parameter. Then the part that will adjoin directly to the slope, cut off strictly on the marks, and the part that is to the wall. at an angle of 45 °.
To trim the corner, use a fine-toothed hacksaw
Here, finally, we got to the main question, how to glue the corners on the slopes. However, before proceeding directly to the fixation, should carry out, so to speak, trying it on. After making sure that everything is trimmed correctly, you can go further. Apply glue mortar to the inside of the corner, at the junction of the sides, with a spacing of approximately 10 cm. At this stage an indispensable assistant will be a mounting pistol. After that, quickly press the product to the surface and fix it in that position with masking tape. You should start with the horizontal lining, and then proceed to the sides. Remove excess sealant from the wall surface with a damp cloth and allow to dry well. You can remove the tape only after 24 hours.
So plastic corners can be put on the slopes of windows or doors. As you can see there is nothing complicated about this process.
Once you understand what such products are made of, what their features are, and you have decided on the choice, you should study how to install the corners on the slopes. Detailed instructions are listed below.
How to Cut a Plastic Corner at 45 Degrees
When repairing work in the premises skirting boards play a decorative role, is the finishing touch of design. They are also designed to cover joint imperfections between different surfaces. Proper gluing of ceiling and floor skirting boards is an easy task, but responsible. In this regard, particularly critical becomes a question of installation.
The photo shows the junction of baseboards in the inner corner of the room.
Floor skirting is represented by a very wide range of products:
- Of PVC foam, plastic, produced with cable-channel for wiring and in their absence.
- Of wood, made of various types of wood, solid or otherwise laminated; the installation of wooden baseboards is no different from the installation of plastic trim.
- Iron, iron and dural, with cable channels and flat.
Complemented by plastic or iron products are different connections and endings, with which easy to perform the installation. So it is actually never a question of how to cut plastic skirting boards at the junction. Made of wood are devoid of such connecting parts. They need to be notched for a perfect connection.
Principle. Made of wood, the bumpers prior to installation should be kept about the room to which they are intended for more than a day. Just like any wooden product, it should adapt to the temperature and humidity.
Let’s see how the process of trimming.
To connect the slats when bypassing the corners is a question of how to cut the skirting board at 45 degrees? This is done painfully simple, but it is better to have a special device called a chisel.
TERMINATION 5min.How to glue a plastic corner on slopes, outer corners of walls. Plastic Corner Video
Not a matter of principle, profound tool of metal or more ordinary versions of plastic or wooden tools you buy, they will help to perform this work in a home-made environment without excessive worry.
In this case, the cost of professional devices is justified, if you have to frequently engage in such work. For small volumes you can be limited to more ordinary and cheap variations.
Principle. The height of the walls of the machine should overlap the height of the trim strips to get a smooth cut.
Fixture for sawing moldings, the arrows show the technological slots for work in accordance with the annotation.
- prepare two pieces of the river to join;
- take the 1st piece, insert it into the jig from the right to the left so that it lies on the reason, as on the floor and leaning against the far wall of the fixture, as against the wall;
- sawing the piece from the left end, passing the saw through the holes number 1;
- The 2nd piece is inserted into the device from left to right, exactly adhering to the orientation of the floor and wall;
- sawing it from the right end, passing the saw through the holes at number 3.5.
- prepare two pieces of skirting board for docking;
- take the first piece, insert it to the right from the left into the tool so that it rests on the base. as on the floor and leaning against the far wall of the tool as against the wall;
- Saw it from the left end, passing the saw through the hole number 5;
- The 2nd section is inserted into the tool from left to right, keeping the orientation of the floor and wall;
- we saw it from the right end, passing the saw through the slots at number 1.
Tip. At the junction along the walls is better to cut the slats at 45 degrees, after such a connection is completed the junction will actually not notice. Trim strips are inserted into the tool from 2 sides, seemingly leaning against the wall, trimming occurs through a single technological gap. First, they trim one, then push it towards the 2nd, the 1st moved away from the gap, and cut through the 2nd.
How to glue plastic corners on the slopes
We dismantled how to cut the floor plinth. as we see it is not so difficult process.
Ceiling strips for cutting are applied to the side of the tool closest to the person working.
Let’s consider at this point how to cut the ceiling baseboards, in what is fundamentally different from the process of trimming floor products.
The main rule that must be understood is that the ceiling tacks are attached to the side of the cutter for cutting, which is closer to the child working with a person. At the same time the side of the skirting board that is supposed to lie on the ceiling will be on the base of the tool.
Perfectly executed produced fillet with trimming.
Annotation on cutting the inner corners of the ceiling plinth:
- let’s prepare two pieces of skirting boards for the joint;
- Take the first piece, turn over and put into the jig from right to left so that it was on the base of the jig, as the ceiling and leaning against the nearest to our site wall unit, as the wall;
- We make a cut of the lath from the left end, passing the saw through the slots under the number 2.4;
- The second piece is inserted into the jig from left to right, precisely following the orientation;
- we will saw it from the right end, through the slots at number 1.
- Prepare two pieces of fillets for docking;
- Take the 1st piece, insert it into the tool from right to left so that it lies on the base of the machine, like the ceiling and leaning against the nearest wall in our country, as the wall of the tool;
- we saw it from the left end, through the slots at number 1;
- The 2nd piece put into the jig from the left to the right, precisely adhering to the orientation;
- Cut it at the right end, through the hole number 3.5.
How I glued plastic corners on the wall and windows.
The process of trimming baseboards to go around interior and exterior corners in a room is simple, but requires precision in execution. In the following video you will find additional information on this topic.
How to cut a plastic corner. Corner nooks and crannies to protect the corners of walls: options for selection
This method of decorating wall corners. protective corners. is not to everyone’s liking, but there are no special alternatives. In any case, on walls with wallpaper, the corner is still better than protruding and torn cloths.
Available only one solution to the integrity of the wallpaper without the use of decorative corners. to make not a sharp corner of the slope, but rounded. In this case there will be no problem with its finishing. You can just wrap the cloth wallpaper, without cutting it. But to withdraw the corner must be perfect, otherwise you will again have to cut, and, therefore, again there will be a question of protecting the junction of wallpaper on the corner.
It is important to choose the correct decorative corner so it does not look alien. There are special techniques for this.
Interior in the appropriate style looks good
Wall corners should be chosen according to the general design of the room. There are several standard solutions:
Either in tone with the wall finish or in tone with the doors
In general, it is necessary to choose corners to protect the wall corners, depending on the room design. You can do this after the furniture will be set up and hanging textiles. That makes it easier to imagine the end result. Because the picture in our heads can be very different from reality.
If you absolutely can not pick up an acceptable color, and the corners of the apartment to protect the need, pay attention to transparent plastic corners. They are of different types. rigid, flexible, with different thickness of the wall.
Installing plastic corners
Work on the installation of plastic corners on the slopes is as follows:
- Regardless of where you want to glue the plastic corners. on the door, if not provided for casing or window, outside or inside, you must make measurements and properly cut the material to length.
- Prepare the surface where the gluing will take place. remove excess elements, clean the base.
- Install and properly glue the strips.
How to properly glue plastic corners on any slopes:
- Degrease the surface well before attaching the corner piece.
- Assembling foam is not used in the design process.
- Excessive protruding plaster is scraped to a noticeable smoothness.
How to glue plastic corners
- Gluing provides for marking with a pencil.
- Before you glue all the parts, you should take advantage of advice: corners for the slopes of doors and plastic windows is better to measure in place. First of all, install the upper horizontal element, and then using a cutting tool mark the vertical strips.
Important! Using the photo and video, every beginner can cope with the process of gluing independently. The metal element is also fixed with self-tapping screws.
Paneling with the corners and involves additional fixing strip using a narrow masking tape. Fix the strip in several places with it and leave it for about 24 hours. This time is enough to glue the corners securely to the surface.
If the corner is used as a finishing trim, the place where it is glued must be scraped of finishing materials. This increases the quality of the bond. When fixing on the area decorated with trellises, you should cut a strip a couple of millimeters narrower than the plastic corners. Adhering to the simple rules of design, fix the decorative elements will be simple and fast, and in the end they will please you with an aesthetic and relaxed appearance.
Installing plastic profiles is not difficult at all, so you can handle this case yourself, without the help of professionals. Nevertheless, everything should be done carefully and according to the rules. You can also stick to the following step-by-step instructions:
- Preparing. Before you get down to business, you need to make sure that the following materials, and tools are available:
- Metal scissors.
- Mounting adhesive.
- If the room has a high level of humidity, you will also need a special silicone sealant.
- Plastic corners.
- Surface preparation. If all the tools and materials are available, you can start preparing the surface. In doing so, special attention should be paid to the following:
- On the surface it is necessary to remove all protruding elements, such as nails and others. This all will only interfere in the future.
- The surface should be deglazed with plaster.
- The greasy surface must be excluded, so it is recommended to use a solvent.
- If there is wallpaper in the place where the plastic profiles will be glued, they will need to be trimmed, as it is not recommended to glue them directly to the wallpaper.
- Preparing the plastic corners. Now it is necessary to prepare the profiles themselves. To do this, you need to put them to the sides and measure their dimensions. You should start with the top side, then the sides, and then the bottom side. In the process of measuring on the same corners will need to mark with a pencil scythe line, corresponding to the required size. Then the material will need to be cut along these lines using metal scissors. It is necessary to cut carefully, so that not all the irregularities and notches are left. After that you can proceed to the last step of the whole process.
- Mounting. This is the most crucial moment, so you should be more careful.
- You need to apply adhesive to the inside of the profile, using a special gun for glue. At the same time it should be applied closer to the center. The distance between the drops should take 15-17 mm.
- Once the adhesive is applied, the PVC profile must be attached to the window sill. In doing so, you need to press it on all parts evenly, so the help of a friend will not interfere. After it is glued, you need to remove the excess glue and tape the profile. This is done so that it will not fall off before the glue dries.
- Then after a day you can remove the tape. You can also leave it for a few days so that the glue can finally dry.
Types of protective corners: what materials
According to the area of application corners are available for external (outdoors) and internal use. For now, let’s talk about how to protect the corners in the apartment and home. in the rooms. Let’s start with the materials. Corners to protect the corners of the walls can be:
- Of plastic (PVC). Different colors, textures, there are even transparent.
- Made of metal. Brass, aluminum (polished and not), stainless steel, painted and unpainted.
- Wooden. Of different types of wood, smooth, with relief.
The corner of the arch is laminated with a flexible plastic corner
The most popular. plastic corners to protect the corners of walls. Do not think that such protection looks ugly. Either way no worse than frayed corners. Just plastic has different appearance. polished, with metallized effect, with a satin (matte) surface, with different topography. It is clear that in order to find something specific or special, you will have to run through construction stores and markets. But there are many kinds of design. If the corners to protect the corners of the walls are chosen correctly, they blend into the design, absolutely not attracting attention. In this case protect and decorate the joints very reliably.
Before you start the work, you need to prepare the surface and the corner. First of all, you need to clean the wall surface. Remove dirt, dust, sawdust and other construction debris from them. If necessary, wash and dry so that there is not a drop of moisture on the surface.
The corner itself also requires preparation. Degrease the plastic with solvent or white spirit, cleaned of dirt and wiped dry. What to do if the angle of curvature of the surface does not coincide with the shape of the angle? Plastic can be straightened by heating it with a construction hair dryer.
Recommendations of professionals
Useful tips to help beginners when installing with their own hands.
- Be precise when marking so that there are no gaps between the joints. To prevent this, you can increase the length of the workpiece by 0.5-1 mm. They will still fit in place due to the elasticity of the material.
- The joints are not recommended to fill the silicone, as over time it will darken, and it will stand out against the lining.
- To reinsure, do not glue the corners immediately, but first attach them with tape and make the necessary measurements.
- Use a construction hair dryer to create the right shape for the arch.
- When processing areas in the opening, where the angle is not 90 °, but more or less, you want to measure on site, and cut with a knife.
Plastic corners serve as a reliable protection of window sills from damage and also give aesthetic completeness to the whole interior. Among the wide assortment of shapes, sizes and colors it is easy to choose the best variant for a specific design. And also just attach them yourself, owning all the necessary tools and skills. Secure the acquired knowledge by watching the video.
Plastic corners for soffits are the logical completion of the renovation of the house. They act as a protective and aesthetic design doorways, window jambs and corners.
The installation process begins with the choice of adhesive mixture. Polyurethane glue well fixes plastic elements, allows you to frame surfaces where there will be a load. Gives you the opportunity to glue details in the bathroom if ceramic tiles will be glued.
Silicone sealant is used as a fixative with less stress. The corner piece can be attached with liquid nails. If the trim is dark, it can be glued with a black compound and for light and white trim with transparent nails.
What to cut the plastic slope at the window
It is important to buy quality material, because otherwise under the influence of direct sunlight the panels may lose their shape and turn yellow.
When working with this material, you must be careful when mechanically impacting it, such as when cutting. The material is quite fragile, and you can damage the sheet if you do not calculate the force.
Sandwich panels should be handled carefully so as not to damage the property.
Due to the lack of space between the window hinge and the wall, this material cannot be installed. It is important to note that the window opening when using this material will be reduced on both sides by the thickness of the panels.
Advantages over other finishes
If you plan to handle the slopes of plastic windows with your own hands, it is best to insulate the panels.
Using drywall, you will have to buy more material than you need for one window. Working with this material is considered labor intensive and requires certain skills.
Sandwich panel slopes are the least labor intensive compared to other methods.
Plastering takes a lot of time and effort. If you are not experienced with gypsum, it is very difficult to create a smooth surface. It will take time for the plaster layer to dry. The process itself involves a lot of pollution.
Using other materials such as Fibreboard would look strange. With a plastic window frame, the trim element of the same material will look more harmonious.
Preparing for the job
To install sandwich panel slopes with your own hands, you will need the following tools and devices:
- Several trowels of different sizes and drawer boxes so that you can cut the plate at the right angle;
- A jigsaw or metal hacksaw;
- Screwdrivers or screwdrivers;
- Measurers in the form of a level and a tape measure;
- “Liquid nails and a gun for them;
- A furniture stapler.
Before installing warm slopes, it is necessary to prepare a number of tools
Before installing the sandwich panel for the slopes must be prepared:
- Window sills and plastic windows should be covered with polyethylene or cardboard;
- The wall surface is checked for mold or moisture;
- Use a stationery knife to cut off excess foam;
- At this stage, it is important to assess the strength of the foundation, if it is partially destroyed, it must be rebuilt;
Before installing the panels, you need to clear the window openings
Installation of sandwich panel slopes will be done qualitatively with the correct measurement of the opening.
Independent lining sandwich panels on plastic windows are made in three ways: with foam, liquid nails or lining.
Installing the slope with installation foam. easiest
Anyone who has done foam installation knows that this method is the easiest. Slope for a window made of sandwich panels is mounted in several steps:
After the measurements are taken, the starting profile is installed. Then you need to transfer the dimensions to a sheet of cladding material and cut out the necessary elements;
According to the measurements, they cut the cladding sheets
The gap between the wall and the panel is filled with a thin layer of foam
Treatment of joints is done with sealant
It is important to know that the treatment of the lining should not be postponed indefinitely, but should be carried out immediately after the foam dries
Master of Architecture, graduated from Samara State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering. 11 years of experience in design and construction.