How to properly cut corners to the ceiling
Docking the skirting board
Having studied in detail the information provided, you can answer the question of how to cut a ceiling plinth using different methods for solving this problem. But besides this, you need to know effective ways to connect the planks.
One of the ways (which has already been mentioned) is based on the use of connecting elements.
They are available for external corners, for internal corners, as well as for connecting skirting boards in straight sections. A very convenient way to save time and, in some cases, financial resources.
Even experienced professionals will not be able to mount skirting boards for ceilings so that everything is perfectly smooth and beautiful.
In order for the quality of the work performed to be at the highest level, you must use the following recommendations:
- on straight sections of the plinth, you need to connect so that one part slightly covers the other;
- after applying glue at the joints, the remnants must be wiped off;
- all gaps between different parts or between the skirting boards and the ceiling / walls must be sealed with a sealant (alternatively, putty with water-based paint).
How to make a miter box without the help of specialists
If you do not have a miter box, but you know that you can use it to prepare ideal angles, then make this device yourself.
- three small boards;
- a hammer;
- hacksaw for metal.
Make a small U-shaped tray with cuts that form the corners necessary for your task. The main thing is not to rush, carefully check your incisions (preferably with a protractor) and make sure that your structure is stable.
If you know how to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth, but for this you need a device that allows you to cut off non-standard corners on fillets (another name for plinths), make the necessary tool with your own hands.
To do this, you need to connect two rectangular boards with the letter “G”, and make cuts on one of them. On paper, using a protractor, you need to draw a mowing line so that they form the necessary angles with one of the boards. The device is ready, it remains only to test its functionality in practice.
As a last resort, you can always find some kind of thing that will help you cut off part of the baseboard at the right angle (book, table pushed against the wall, etc.).
An important point! When making measurements, keep in mind that for the outer corner of the ceiling plinth you need to take a margin equal to its width (fillets, in this case, protrude outward).
Preparing corners with a miter box
Builders, joiners and renovators are well aware of this device.
HOW I ROLL CORNERS
A miter box is a special wooden tool with slots, in the form of an inverted “P”, which allows you to cut a board or plinth so that an angle of 45 or 90 degrees is obtained.
In addition to this device, you will need a clerical knife, a hacksaw for metal and a sandpaper if you are working with wooden skirting boards.
The preparation of the corners should be carried out without undue physical effort, so as not to damage the skirting board.
How To Cut & Install Crown Moulding
Experienced experts recommend adhering to the following procedure:
- At the bottom of the miter box, you need to lay the side that will contact the ceiling, and the lower part is pressed against the right wall.
- The adjacent corner is prepared in the same way, but the plinth is applied to the left wall / slot.
- The resulting cuts are applied to the corner, if you have a large gap, trim the irregularities with a clerical knife.
- In the case when a small gap is observed between the prepared skirting boards, remove it after fixing all the elements using putty.
To do this, it is enough to cut the strips at right angles and then insert them into the connecting element. But this solution to the issue cannot always be applied in practice.
Very often the connecting part looks ridiculous, stands out strongly against the general background and spoils the appearance of the room.
The main disadvantage of preparing skirting boards using a miter box is the fact that this method is only suitable for rooms where the angle between the walls is 90 degrees.
Any deviations or irregularities can prevent you from performing this work efficiently. And one more advice from experts.
If you have no experience in preparing skirting corners, practice on scrap or unusable material before proceeding with this task.
Material for the production of ceiling slats
The first skirting boards were made of plaster. But they did not last long on the building materials market (the main reason is the high cost of gypsum plinths), giving way to products made of polystyrene, wood and expanded polystyrene.
Before proceeding with a detailed analysis of the question of how to correctly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth, it is necessary to find out what are the features of each category of the presented products.
Polyfoam is the most economically profitable material for the manufacture of ceiling plinths. The main advantages of this product category are:
- low cost;
- looks great on the ceiling;
- it is not difficult to choose skirting boards that harmoniously fit into the interior of almost any room;
- well cut;
- these skirting boards are easy to work with.
There is also a “reverse side of the coin”. foam products break easily, but many experienced experts argue that this fact is not a serious problem (the skirting board is not physically affected on the ceiling).
Even if you do not know how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth, you can practice on products from the presented category (cut pieces, etc.).
Expanded polystyrene, which is used as a material for the production of ceiling skirting boards, is stronger than polystyrene, but this criterion negatively affects the cost of products.
The main advantages of the presented category of skirting boards are their high strength, long service life and the ability, without strong physical efforts, to cut off the corners you need.
Wood products are more expensive and look more solid than the above products. But the presented category of ceiling plinths is difficult to machine.
In order to cut off a corner, you will not only have to work with a hacksaw (experienced experts recommend using a blade for metal), but also eliminate irregularities using sandpaper.
The question of cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth must be solved taking into account the materials that are used for their production. For example, to prepare foam products, you can use an ordinary clerical knife, which will be a poor helper if you are installing wooden skirting boards.
How to cut a corner on a skirting board: professional advice
The appearance of the ceiling in your home, apartment or office largely depends on the choice and installation of ceiling plinths. It is not only the color, material, width and other parameters of the presented elements of the decoration of the premises that play a role, but also how they are prepared and mounted.
In order to prevent irreparable mistakes in the process of fixing the planks, you need to know the answer to the question: how to cut a corner on a ceiling plinth without asking for professional help.
How to cut a ceiling plinth without special tools
If you do not have a miter box and the desire to make it using the above recommendations, try to cut the skirting board without using a special tool.
To do this, you need to attach the fillet to the ceiling (only the way it will be fixed) and draw the line.
A similar operation is carried out with another wall forming an angle. The intersection of the two lines will show you where to cut off a piece of the ceiling plinth. To do this, you must once again attach the plank to the ceiling and draw the line from the specified point to the end of the plinth, to the bottom corner.
If you need to prepare the material for the outer corner, use the following algorithm:
- On the right side, a plinth is applied to the ceiling and a fishing line is drawn along it.
- A similar operation is carried out on the left side of the corner.
- On the plinth, you need to make two marks: the place where the corner of the room passes and the point of intersection of your lines.
- After connecting these points, you will receive the necessary cutting line.
Among the main disadvantages of the presented method, it is necessary to highlight the fact that sometimes there are significant errors, the cause of which may be: a human factor, a bad pencil or an uneven ceiling / walls.
A few tips from experts
If you are interested in the question of how to cut corners on a ceiling plinth, from a theoretical point of view, or you are planning to make repairs in the indefinite future, then you should remember some tips:
- when making repairs indoors, make sure that all the elements not only create an overall beautiful picture, but also “dock” with each other;
- you should not buy wooden skirting boards if you do not know how to work with it;
- fix the planks only after they are fully prepared (you are unlikely to be able to clean up irregularities on the glued ceiling plinth);
- installation of ceiling strips should be carried out, starting from the corners, according to the principle: “from complex to simple”;
- when buying ceiling plinths, take the material with a margin (not only taking into account possible errors, but also to compensate for losses on uneven walls).
Practice shows that trimming the ceiling plinth, despite the complexity of this process from the position of beginners, after “passing” several corners, is perceived much easier. But doing similar work in a room with rounded corners can be a major challenge, even for professionals.
Usually such problems are solved using a method that is based on the creation of “patches” where the bottom is wider than the top. This work requires perseverance, a good eye and accuracy.
After a detailed study of the question of how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, even a person without experience in this field of activity will be able to independently perform this task at home.
As a result, you will not only save money, but also get moral satisfaction after the repair work.
The ceiling plinth performs not only a decorative function, visually separating the walls from the ceiling, but can also hide the joints of various finishing materials of the ceiling and walls. Not every interior design involves the use of a skirting board, but more often than not, the overall appearance of the room seems incomplete without it. There is nothing difficult in fixing this element. fillets. almost all types of skirting boards are attached with glue. But the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the premises can confuse many. Indeed, even in the simplest room there are internal corners, where the plinths of the ceiling plinth must be precisely and beautifully docked. And in a more complex configuration of the room, you will also have to dock the skirting boards, performing the outer corner. In this article, we will look at various options for how to cut a ceiling plinth with and without tools at hand.
First you need to figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth, the answer to it depends on the material from which the fillet is made. At the moment, we sell ceiling skirting boards made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (foam), polyurethane and wood.
PVC skirting boards are the cheapest. Dents and creases are easily formed on them, which cannot be repaired, so the product must be thrown away. Also their disadvantage is electrostaticity. the ability to attract dust. You can cut them with a sharp construction knife or hacksaw.
Styrofoam ceiling skirting boards are also cheap. This material is very fragile, it crumbles easily during processing, therefore, it is necessary to cut the expanded polystyrene with a sharp knife or a hacksaw on metal, without making too strong pressing forces.
Ceiling skirting boards made of extruded polystyrene foam are slightly more expensive than polystyrene foam, they are denser and more difficult to cut. However, they crumble less, making them easier and more comfortable to work with. Cut with a construction knife and a hacksaw for metal.
Polyurethane ceiling skirting boards are the most expensive at the moment. They are durable, elastic and moisture resistant, can be easily cut with a construction knife and do not crumble. The disadvantage of polyurethane skirting boards is their dependence on temperature extremes. For example, over a gas stove, a polyurethane skirting board will permanently deform and crackle slightly. If you try to process or cut such a plinth, it may bend or deform in other ways.
Wooden ceiling skirting boards are dense, heavy products that can only be cut with a hacksaw, preferably with fine, dense teeth. You can also use a cloth for metal.
Before proceeding to the enumeration of the ways of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, I would like to note that there is a possibility not to cut the plinth with great precision. There are special corner pieces on sale into which the edges of the skirting board are inserted. In this case, it is enough to cut the plinth strip at an angle of 90 °, and the corner element will hide all the flaws. But this method is not always used, since the dimensions of the corner elements are slightly larger than the skirting boards themselves, so the corners in the room will stand out against the general background. Sometimes it can look bulky. However, if the design of the room allows the use of corner pieces for ceiling skirting boards, it makes sense to use them. Further instructions will be useful to those who nevertheless decided to accurately cut the skirting boards at a given angle.
How to cut a ceiling plinth using a miter box template
Something resembling a miter box can be done by applying the required cut angles to paper, cardboard or wood. Draw two parallel mowing lines, locate the center, and then set the required angles with a protractor. The advantage of this method is that you can postpone any angle, including more than 90 degrees. Of course, before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth, you must first check the angle between the walls using a corner and measure with a protractor.
The technique for cutting a ceiling plinth using a painted miter box is exactly the same as using the miter box itself. We press the plinth plinth to one of the parallel lines, then set the hacksaw at the desired angle, which is already outlined, and cut off.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box
The miter box is a simple carpentry tool that allows you to cut the workpiece at the desired angle. Most often it is a plastic, wood or metal tray with vertical slots for cutting at an angle of 90 ° and 45 °. There are also more complex miter box designs. for cutting at angles of 90, 60 and 45 degrees. For more professional work, a miter box with a swivel mechanism is used, where the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
How to cut coving corners perfectly
How to cut a skirting board with a miter box. inner corner:
- We apply the plinth to the ceiling, measure the required length.
- Then we install the plinth strip in the miter box so that the position coincides with the position of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The plinth strip must be pressed against the far wall of the miter box.
- Hold the plinth with your left hand.
- We choose such a position of the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and at the same time the handle of the hacksaw is as close as possible to the left hand.
- We cut the workpiece without making excessive pressure on the saw.
- The next step is to trim the plinth striker. We also install it to the far wall of the miter box.
- Press and hold with your right hand.
- We choose such a position for the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the skirting board.
Next, we join the trimmed plinths and check the cutting accuracy. For a more accurate orientation, they also say that in order to complete the inner corner, it is necessary to start cutting from the front of the plinth. After trimming, wooden skirting boards will most likely have to be adjusted with a file.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box. outside corner:
- In order not to be mistaken with the dimensions, it is better to start by marking the inner corner, and then cut out the outer corner. Otherwise, a situation is possible when the planks may not be enough in length.
- It is necessary to attach the plank to the ceiling and outline the dimensions.
- Install the plinth strip and press it against the nearest wall.
- Hold with your left hand and choose a position for the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the left hand.
- Cut off the workpiece.
- We install the striker to the nearest wall, hold it with the right hand.
- We set the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the workpiece and join the corner.
Trimming the workpiece with a miter box is only suitable if the angle between the walls is even. 90 degrees. If the accuracy is poor, you will have to use other methods.
How to trim the corner of a ceiling plinth using ceiling markings
Marking the skirting board on the ceiling also allows you to cut the corner evenly and accurately. The only drawback of this method is that it is difficult and inconvenient to keep the plinth plinth suspended during the cutting process. Otherwise, you can mark the cutting angle in this way even more accurately than in other ways. Applying the skirting board to the installation site, all wall flaws and deviations in the corner size are immediately taken into account.
Cutting the corner of the skirting board:
- First of all, two workpieces must be cut at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Then we first apply one plank, resting its end against a perpendicular wall. We draw a line on the ceiling, outlining the contour of the plinth.
- We remove this bar and apply a striker, also resting its butt against the wall. We outline the line.
- The point of intersection of the marked lines will be the mark at which the skirting board needs to be cut.
- Again, we apply each bar in turn and mark the cutting point on them.
- We draw the line from this point to the other edge of the plinth.
We cut off the skirting boards along the outlined lines, join them and apply them to the installation site. Please note that this method is more convenient to cut the inner corners.
DIY impromptu miter box
Making a miter box with your own hands is also not difficult.
You will need three wooden planks or boards, which must be put together in a U-shaped box. Then the necessary angles are marked on the walls of the box, and a cut is made with a hacksaw. As a result, you should get a wooden miter box, in which grooves are cut.
A combination of an impromptu miter box and a template with marked lines. For the convenience of cutting, it is necessary to build something in which it will be convenient to hold the plinth strip, since it is difficult to keep it suspended. It is enough to put together a corner from two wooden planks or boards. On paper, you need to draw a mowing line with angles for cutting at 45 degrees or at any other. Then we apply the baseboard blank to the corner, press it with our hand, as described in the technology for using the miter box, move the piece of paper with the template under the edge where we are going to cut it, and cut it off. In the process of cutting, we focus on the line drawn on the paper.
As an impromptu miter box, you can use anything, anything. that we form an angle. For example, a table pushed against a wall.
Important! Pay attention to the rule of making measurements for trimming the ceiling plinth. To mark the inner corner, you need to measure the length directly from the corner itself. To outline the outer corner, it is necessary to be guided by the fact that the plinth will protrude deep into the room by a distance equal to its width.
You should not fix the plinths of the ceiling plinths before you cut the striker and try on their location. Only after the two strikers are perfectly aligned in the corner, you can start attaching them to the ceiling. Minor imperfections can be finished with a file or a nail file in the case of wooden and polyurethane skirting boards. To fit foam products, you will have to wield a sharp knife.
If suddenly, even after adjusting the skirting boards, a small gap remains between them, do not despair, it can be repaired with a putty. Cutting the ceiling plinth yourself is not difficult. But in order not to spoil many products, it is better to pre-practice on small blanks.
How to work with miter box?
We have told you how to properly cut a ceiling plinth without any tools. Now let’s dwell on the method of working with miter box in more detail. Follow all the steps in the same sequence. and the outer corner of the ceiling plinth will turn out to be perfectly even:
- with the plinth against the wall, measure the length you need;
- Install the bar in the miter box so that its position coincides with the position on the ceiling. Press it against the far wall;
- the plank is held with the left hand. To prevent the cut accessory from chipping and breaking, the saw is pressed with minimal effort;
- to trim the mating part, repeat the procedure in the same sequence, but hold it with your right hand;
- how to cut the corners of a skirting board if it is made of wood? You act in exactly the same way, but since the tree is not so flexible, at the end the edges are still fitted with a file;
- to exclude an incorrect calculation of the size, start by marking the inner corner, and only then move on to the outer one. A heavily cut outer corner can cause the plank to simply not be long enough.
Cutting the ceiling plinth: how the professionals do it
It seems to beginners that even a housewife can cut and fix the plinth. But when it comes to docking, the need to cut a corner turns into a real hard labor. Due to ignorance of how to cut a corner on the ceiling plinth, many apartment residents have no desire to repair something in the house once and for all. We sincerely hope that the skirting boards will not bring you to white heat. After reading this material, you will no longer puzzle over how to properly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth.
The most painful installation question comes down to how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners and achieve a perfect fit. It is known that plinths in the corners are fastened at an angle from 38 degrees to 45. How to properly cut a ceiling plinth when it is so difficult to cut at forty-five degrees? Indeed, on the inside, the cut edge often does not fit, the gaps are still visible.
The main secret of cutting
The inner corner of the skirting board is the key. Professionals know that the skirting board is cut at the outer edges and on the front side (which is also the inner one). To cut the ceiling blanks more conveniently, a miter box is used. It is imperative to choose a good saw that will cut corners quickly and accurately. You can take a regular hacksaw for metal.
High-quality trimming of the ceiling plinth is impossible without the right choice of materials. If the walls in the apartment are not even enough, smaller material is suitable for joining at the corners. Due to the fact that it is flexible enough, the corners of the skirting boards are more accurate. How to cut a large ceiling plinth? The task is simplified when the walls are perfectly flat.
The next point is how to cut the skirting board depending on its location. The rule is very simple: the left one is always applied to the miter box on the left, and the right one. on the right side. If you confuse the order of how to cut the ceiling plinth, then the docking will become a real problem.
Styrofoam is the easiest to work with. Let’s take a look at how to cut a ceiling plinth according to all the rules:
- having measured the corners of the walls, we get to work. If they’re perfectly straight at ninety degrees, you’re in luck. you just need to cut off a 45-degree angle. The principle of working with the 2nd segment is exactly the same;
- but how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth at the curved joints? The radius of the corner between the ceiling and the walls is divided by 2;
- once again we focus on how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth. A baguette for gluing on the left side has a characteristic cut on the right, but the right fillet is cut on the left;
- an important question: how to cut the corners of the skirting board inside and out? The bottom edge always protrudes above the top, with respect to the outer corner, the opposite is true. The pliable polystyrene foam and soft texture do their job. it is much easier to customize such accessories. You will have to tinker with only wooden or plastic parts;
- when the inner and outer corners of the skirting board are ready, the planks are fitted to the ceiling. They will need to be trimmed according to the direction of abutment to the surface;
- if the rough docking is successful, the fillet is glued or screwed to the wall and ceiling. Seams securely seal.
Cutting without a miter box is real!
Of course, when you have a miter box at hand, the work is done much faster and more accurately. But there are situations when the necessary tool was not at hand. Now you will learn how to properly trim the ceiling plinth by holding it over your head. The disadvantage of these markings is that you have to keep the plank on weight all the time. And this is not very convenient.
As for the quality of the markup, there is no doubt that it will be as accurate as possible. After all, before cutting the corners of the plank, you attach it ten times to the intended installation site. Consequently, flaws in the walls and any deviations become noticeable immediately.
- two workpieces are being prepared. They are trimmed at a 90 degree angle;
- after that, one of the planks is applied in such a way that the end rests against the perpendicular wall;
- a fishing line is drawn on the ceiling, allowing you to outline the contour;
- the bar is removed. Next, you attach a counter piece, which also rests on the wall with its butt;
- after marking the lines, pay attention to the point of their intersection. This is the mark at which you want to trim;
- once again applying the material, mark the cutting points, draw the line from the desired point to the edge of the bar;
- you will see for yourself how to trim the planks along the lines. Please note that this method allows you to cut both external and internal corners, although the second option is more convenient.
Having a clear diagram of how to cut the outer corner, you can fix the ceiling plinth evenly and beautifully. Cutting corners will no longer seem like a problem during renovations. Whatever material you have to work with, remember one thing: always take measurements carefully, do not rush. So, you can avoid damage to the material and save on the purchase of a new one.