How to properly cut door trims
How platbands are attached to interior doors: basic methods
How to properly fix the platbands on the door. this question often becomes relevant when carrying out repairs in the house. It is actually quite simple to do it yourself if you know some of the nuances regarding the types of products and methods of fixing them along the perimeter of the opening.
Another method of fixing platbands involves the use of special glue. The most popular option is the so-called liquid nails. This compound provides fast adhesion to almost any surface.
Let’s consider how to properly fix the platbands without ordinary nails. To do this, it is necessary to initially determine the exact position of each element. Then apply a small amount of glue to the back of the plank and press it against the wall. If glue comes out from under the trim, wipe it off immediately. It is advisable to apply only a few points to prevent spreading.
Platbands can be fixed either completely without nails, using glue, or by combining these two methods, this will provide greater structural strength.
Fastening platbands to liquid nails simplify the process
The most traditional way of installing platbands is to use nails. In order to hide the attachment points as much as possible, special miniature carnations are used, their feature is the almost complete absence of a cap.
In order to properly nail the platbands on the door, you need to set them in level. Since when mounting on a wall, distortions or gaps may occur that were not on a flat surface, it is recommended to leave a small excess of material when cutting.
Since nails without heads are used for the platbands of interior doors, try not to damage the coating of the cladding itself. It is most convenient to work with a small hammer. In advance, you can outline the connection point using an awl.
In order to cover up the nails on the platbands, they mainly use a special mastic or grout to match the coating. Minor damage can be masked with paint, felt-tip pen or pencil.
The use of nails is the traditional way of attaching platbands
Preparation of the working area
Before proceeding directly to the fastening of the platbands, the working surface should be properly prepared. The entire list of works can be conditionally divided into several stages:
- Installation of the box. Platbands serve as a kind of decor for doors, as they are able to create a spectacular frame and hide minor wall defects. Consequently, their installation must be done at the very end after installing the doors.
- Foam removal. After the box dries out, it is necessary to cut off excess polyurethane foam in order to bring an even level between the wall and the lute, it is best to do this with a clerical knife.
- Removal of irregularities. If, during the installation of the door leaf and the frame, there are small defects on the wall, for example, concrete chips, they can be repaired with plaster, this will not only facilitate installation, but also improve the strength of the opening. So that during the installation process there are no gaps, the surface for fixing the platbands must be flat.
- Wall decoration. Before installing the platbands, it is necessary to complete all finishing work: painting, wallpapering, etc.
- Cleaning. Remove all dust and other debris from the surface; when using glue, you must additionally degrease the perimeter of the opening.
Preparation of the working area for the installation of the door casing
Next, we will consider in detail the various ways of attaching platbands to interior doors.
The main types of platbands
Before we look at how you can attach platbands to interior doors, you should familiarize yourself with their main types. The installation method directly depends on the specific type of product.
According to the material of manufacture, they are distinguished:
- from pressed paper;
Varieties of door trims, depending on the material of manufacture
For budget options, pressed products are used. In a modern interior, the most popular type is products from MDF, moreover, unlike other types of platbands, any mounting option is available for MDF.
In appearance and configuration, they are distinguished:
- carved and curly;
Variations of platbands by configuration
Additionally, a capital can be installed above the upper platband. This element plays an excellent decorative role, especially when it comes to the classic style and variations close to it.
As for the fastening methods, the platbands can be installed in three main methods:
- on ordinary nails;
- on glue “liquid nails”;
- according to the principle “thorn-groove”.
In order for the opening to look organic, it is important to observe the optimal dimensions for all parts. Cutting elements can be done in two ways: at right angles or 45 degrees. In the first case, the upper bar is most often installed over the sidewalls, while the edge must be processed. With an oblique cut, you need to bring out the ideal angle so that the fragments dock together without gaps. It is better to use a miter box for cutting.
The simplest is to attach telescopic platbands to interior doors. It is made without nails, but can be supplemented with glue for greater strength. Installation features are directly related to their design. The fact is that the edges of the platbands, when connected, coincide with the edge of an extension or a lute. The principle of adhesion. “thorn-groove”.
Telescopic platbands are fixed strictly in the groove of the box bar
In other words, one part goes inside the other. Thus, in order to install such products, it is enough just to cut off the excess and dock the parts. The protrusion of the element is inserted into a recess in the door frame. Then you need to set the required distance, which is regulated by the size of the recess.
Regardless of which installation method you choose for a particular situation, you should be careful, since one awkward movement can ruin the entire structure. If there are irregularities on the wall, it is necessary to pre-align them so that there are no gaps, this applies to absolutely all models of platbands, regardless of the material of manufacture and configuration.
The fastening of the platbands turns out to be reliable if they are nailed down with studs with flat caps. If you want the caps not to be visible, then you can remove them using side cutters. The length of the finishing stud should be about 4 cm, but the size is taken into account in each individual case in different ways, the main thing is that the stud should go into the door frame by about 2 cm.
On the casing, the finishing studs must be fastened at a distance of at least 500 mm. They carefully nail the planks, and paint over the caps using a wax pencil.
Before you properly nail plastic or wooden platbands on interior doors, you should heed the advice of experts:
- Installation is carried out only after the completion of all wall decoration work;
- If there are significant defects, then they are hidden under wide platbands, about 12 cm wide;
- If, when joining the planks at an angle of 45 degrees, any errors occurred, then they can be eliminated with a putty, which, after drying, is tinted with a corrector to match the planks;
- If there are any gaps between the box and the casing, then they are sealed with a sealant. Then they are also tinted to match the cladding.
Thus, with the right approach to the choice of planks and their installation, it will be possible to create a complete image of an interior door and give it a stylish appearance.
Mount at an angle of 45
This method is suitable for curved and rounded platbands. The procedure is as follows:
Measure the height of the vertical planks from the floor. They are placed on the floor, therefore, their joints with the skirting boards will be on the side. The height of the vertical elements is measured from the floor. Planks from below are placed on the floor covering, which is why the joints of the skirting boards and door trims are obtained from the side.
Then the workpiece is cut according to the markings using a miter saw, and in its absence, using a hacksaw and a miter box. Cut from above at 45 degrees from the desired side.
Now the side platbands are attached no higher than halfway, so that they bend from above.
The upper loose parts of the platbands are folded back and the upper part is placed under them. At the junction, mark the mowing line at an angle of 45 degrees, then cut off the excess part. Now you can fix the platbands in all the remaining places.
The peculiarity of this type of installation is that additional devices are not required here, since the design of the casing itself provides for an attachment consisting of a slot and a groove. The main requirement is the presence of a protrusion between the door frame and the interior partition. It is also important that the adjacent walls are level.
Methods of fastening platbands
If the bar has a flat shape, then its fastening can be performed at an angle of 90 degrees, without preliminary cutting. If the bar has a complex structure and is made of wood or MDF, then cutting is performed at an angle of 45 degrees.
Do-it-yourself fastening of platbands can be done in two ways:
- nailing on small carnations;
- gluing with liquid nails.
How To Undercut Door Frame Casing & Trim. 2 Different Methods. Flooring Installation.Jonny DIY
How to install platbands depends on their type and material of manufacture. So, telescopic are attached only to liquid nails. You can install the rest in one way or another.
Installation of plastic platbands
For plastic platbands, glue is used extremely rarely, since the connection with it is not reliable. The mounting profile is most often used:
- The mounting profile is cut to the size of the door frame (maybe slightly smaller).
- Docking places are sawn off at an angle of 45 degrees.
- The profile is fixed with self-tapping screws to the door frame. If the door is cheap (Chinese), then the mounting profile is fixed on the wall, since it will not work to tighten the screws securely into such a door.
- The profile is screwed from the middle to two sides. At the same time, they monitor compliance with the level.
- Then measure the height of the side parts and cut off their tops at an angle of 45 degrees. Next, the workpieces are inserted into the grooves of the vertical profiles, where they can move.
- A fastener is inserted into the cut of the slats. corner fittings. The top is measured out and cut off on both sides at 45 degrees. The product is connected to vertical platbands, fixing in the mounting profile.
Any platbands fit at an angle of 45 degrees.
This is a classic version of connecting platbands with each other. For classic doors with curved lines in the design, this is the only option. With this method of installing the platbands, a very important role is played by their sawing at a given angle. The cut should be as even and precise as possible. If the walls are curved, then a slope or offset in the cut will be required. In general, in the end there should be a perfect joint. Otherwise, gaps and chips will be very noticeable, especially on light doors.
How to install platbands: at an angle of 90 or 45 degrees?
Door frames. it is an important element in the appearance of the door. Platbands highlight, emphasize the door in the interior. Of great importance is the angle at which they join: at an angle of 90 degrees or 45. In which cases this or that option is appropriate, we will analyze in this small material.
The standard width of platbands is 70 mm, but they can be wider. Rounded, flat and embossed are distinguished in shape. By the method of fastening, ordinary and telescopic.
Only flat platbands fit at right angles.
For installation of platbands at 90 degrees, only platbands specially made for this are suitable. This means that the shapes of the joints of the platbands must be the same. In rounded or curly platbands, the shape of the saw cut differs from the shape of the side part. over, even flat platbands have a slight rounding at the corners. Therefore, the upper casing should be thinner than the lateral ones so that it is slightly recessed. Otherwise, the end of the platbands will be exposed.
If the corners of the platbands are sharp, as, for example, on ProfilDoors doors, then such platbands are installed at right angles without adaptation. If the corners are rounded, then the master will need to narrow the upper platband. Not everyone will take it.
Platbands are installed at right angles on doors in a modern style with straight lines. The right angle of the platbands, as it were, complements the right angles of the door structure.
Recently, manufacturers have begun to produce flat platbands designed only for installation at right angles. This means that in a set for one door of 5 platbands, one will be thinner than the rest. The installers need to be careful not to cut in half the thick platband, which is the side.
The upper casing is also installed at a right horizontal angle. This is how capitals and cornices are installed. decorative platbands.
Installation of platbands at 90 degrees
How to nail the trim in an easier way? Do not cut the slats and leave them in their original form. rectangular. Unfortunately, this design option is not suitable for any type of opening and door frame, but if you have a rectangular section or small rounding of the edges, this is the solution. The planks are connected to each other at an angle of 90 degrees relative to each other. It looks like this: two vertical, long platbands are placed with a small margin on top, and a small horizontal one is “implanted” between them. This greatly facilitates the process, but does not make it completely elementary.
Accurate measurements and accurate cuts still cannot be undone. Of course, here you only need to calculate the height of the vertical rails and the length of the horizontal, but if you make a mistake in this, you will have to redo all the work or part. depending on the error.
Of course, there is no need to be engaged in “curly” cutting of a certain corner. When it comes to installing platbands at right angles, it is important to understand that even a significant simplification of the entire process compared to the previous one does not mean that you can nail the bar onto the interior doors at random, without comparing them with the wall beforehand and without measuring the attachment point with a pencil.
How to put platbands on the door: choose the corner of the cut for joining
In order to decide on the choice of angle, you must first decide on the design issue. What will your plank look like and which design would you prefer? There are only two options in the assortment for those who want to know how to properly nail door trims:
- Smooth planks without special decorative details are sawn at right angles, it is not difficult and will not cause trouble even for a novice carpenter. The same is done in the case of the capital. the framing of the upper part of the casing. You choose the direction yourself: it can be vertical, or it can be horizontal. It is important to treat the cuts with varnish or paint. This will protect them and give them extra strength.
- Embossed platbands require a slightly different approach to installation. When we are dealing with a rounded surface, the gash occurs at an angle of 45 degrees. This option is more popular, despite the fact that it requires much more concentration in the process of work and the accuracy of the master. Miscalculations and flaws threaten to result in noticeable gaps between loosely fitting parts.
So, you need to make a perfectly even cut of the workpiece, and for this you will need a miter box and a hand saw with small teeth, which can be used to correct minor flaws in rough work. Of course, ideally, we advise you to cut on a specialized miter saw, which is equipped with a rotating platform.
What are the platbands and what is the difference between them?
The most popular types of platbands are molded from natural wood, from MDF or plastic. Professional carpenters recommend using laminated or veneered MDF or PVC. they practically do not give a negative reaction to fluctuations in humidity or temperature, and for our climate this is a big plus. Structures made of such material can even be used for sauna doors, since they are moisture-resistant and stable at any temperature.
How to nail platbands on interior doors, photo from tooschool.ru
How to fix platbands on interior doors
First stage: preparing the doorway for installation
First, you need to process the opening, for this we will take a special construction knife and remove the foam. Try to make the cut as even as possible, but be careful directly with the wooden door frame. do not damage it.
Then we will check. measure how much the wall and the doorway coincide in level. This is necessary in order to know what flaws will have to be corrected in the process and to take into account the defects in further work. Before work, you need to trim the ends from the bottom of the platbands so that they are equally even.
Sixth stage: we fix the structure
You should start with vertical ones, only after that do horizontal ones. If you decide to use nails, you should not hammer them all the way to the stop, it is better to leave a few mm so that in case of a mistake you can quickly fix it.
Stage three: vertical planks
We are engaged in vertical platbands. We attach them to the marks and mark the height of the sawed off with a pencil. An important and negative factor at this stage of work can be the curvature of the floors. When you measure the place of the cut, number each component part, because despite the external similarity of the parts, it is not a fact that a difference of a couple of millimeters will remain invisible.
Second stage: outline the scope of work
Next, we mark where the platband will be attached. it is important that after installation the door can freely open and close. In addition, observe the position of the hinges and the lock. everything should remain in working order. The planks need to be attached to the box and mark with a pencil their location a couple of millimeters above the corner.
Do-it-yourself installation of platbands on the door: analysis of the features of various designs
Types of platbands and methods of their fastening
For cashing the door frame, the owner of the bath can use molded products made of wood, MDF or plastic. Carpenters advise to give preference to laminated or veneered MDF products or PVC trims, which practically do not react to the effects of steam and temperature fluctuations.
Mounting material and specifics:
- Wooden platbands can be installed on “liquid nails” or fastened with thin nails without heads. The hats can be cut off on their own or fastened with a construction pistol that “shoots” the pins without them. When using nails with caps, the fasteners are slightly “sunk”, and the locations are masked with wax correcting pencils or matched acrylic sealants. The use of adhesives is permissible, but it will create problems if it is necessary to dismantle it for laying a cable or for carrying out the next repair. Liquid nails are applicable only in the case of perfectly aligned walls, otherwise there will be gaps between the platband and the wall being trimmed.
- Platbands made of MDF outwardly practically cannot be distinguished from their wooden counterparts, but their fastening is carried out according to special rules. In order not to damage the strips, the guide holes for the nails are drilled on them in advance. The holes are not through, a diameter of 1-1.5 mm is preferred. MDF just like wood can be simply glued.
- Platbands made of plastic prefer to glue. Their cost allows you to dismantle the cashing without regrets and the desire to reuse. Flexible plastic molding can be glued to walls with slight irregularities.
Features of telescopic platbands
Buyers of doors produced by a number of domestic factories are given the opportunity not to use fasteners at all when installing platbands with a patented telescopic design. Happy owners of Volkhovets or Sophia products will not need additional additions, since correction in case of vertical deviations and in case of discrepancy between the size of the box and the width of the opening is carried out by adjusting the telescopic door frame.
Details of how the installation of doors with telescopic platbands is carried out, their owners will learn from the manufacturer’s instructions, since each of them has their own technological schemes. A common feature for all is the presence of a protrusion-slot, which is introduced into the groove on the box. It is recommended to strengthen the joints with liquid nails.
The choice of the corner was washed down for joining
The angle is determined by the presence of a contoured relief on the front side. DIYers who are figuring out how to install door trims have two options at their disposal:
- Planks with a flat surface without a shaped shape can be sawn at right angles. Do the same if the door is framed by platbands with a capital. The docking direction can be either horizontal or vertical. Before installation, the saw cuts are painted or tinted with varnish.
- Embossed moldings, platbands with a rounded surface are sawn down at a standard 45º angle. This is the most common scheme that requires strict adherence to the rules and accuracy. The slightest flaws will result in unattractive crevices.
In order to perfectly cut the workpiece at an angle, you need to stock up on a miter box and a hand saw with fine teeth. A flawless edge will be obtained if the owner saws on a miter saw equipped with a turntable.
- after the completion of wallpaper pasting;
- when equipping doors with platbands on both sides after pasting two adjacent rooms;
- before installing the skirting board.
You need to start work from the side of the door structure into which the canvas opens. That is, from the side where the door hinges are located. The guideline for measurements will be the strip that closes the box from the side of the hinges, since because of them the platband is not installed flush with the box. This indent should be equal for all three lines. To fix the platbands on the back of the door, indenting is optional.
So, the order of work is:
- We measure with maximum accuracy the length of the vertical bar installed next to the hinges. The distance resulting from the indentation is added to the length. The point obtained as a result of measurements will be the beginning of the mowing line, along which excess is cut off from the workpiece at an angle of 45º.
- For the manufacture of the opposite platband, we make measurements in the same way, but separately. It is not a fact that the distance from the floor to the required point will be equal.
- We bait the sawn strips with two nails. We fix one of them at the base, the second after about a meter.
- Under the unfixed upper ends of the vertical platbands, we place the blank for the upper strip. We mark on it the points required for perfect sawing at a 45-degree angle, saw off with a miter saw or a simple power saw.
- We fix all three components.
The base of the door platbands usually rests on the floor, but sometimes a kind of bedside table is placed under the door frame.
The step of installing the studs or nails is determined independently. Carpenters recommend hammering in galvanized or copper nails every 15 cm if the door slammer is actively using it. Optimal pitch of 50 cm when used carefully from an aesthetic point of view.
If the cutting angle is slightly violated, cracks will inevitably result in the joints. Those who have not managed to avoid this due to inexperience do not need to despair. Failures can be masked with a sealant. To do this, on both sides of the gap, you need to glue the usual mounting tape on the platbands. Preferably in several layers. Then fill the gap with an acrylic compound of a suitable tone.
We bring to your attention a quick way to accurately markup:
Correctly executed installation of interior door trims guarantees considerable savings. The entrance doors are cashed in the same way, however, the platbands are fixed mainly from the inside, since the outer frame is already on the box. The work is not difficult, but meticulous, and without knowing the nuances, you can spoil a lot of material. By the way, carpenters advise inexperienced home craftsmen who want to become more skilled in this direction, to start with the overall opening, so that in case of failure, the slats can be framed with a smaller door. Well, and having gained practical experience, you can take on difficult tasks.