How to properly replace the line in the trimmer
How to Tuck Line in a Grass Trimmer: A Few Simple Tips
Thanks to modern power tools, a person is given a lot of opportunities to reduce manual labor. Among these innovations is the grass trimmer, which greatly simplifies the process of mowing grass and lawn care. This device reduces the time for gardening work, turning difficult physical work into entertainment. The trimmer uses a fishing line as a cutting tool. It stretches strongly and thus mows grass of almost any height. It is quite easy to operate a power tool, but the problem arises when the cutting material runs out. Not everyone will immediately figure out how to tuck the line into a grass trimmer. Although this is a simple operation, it is not always clear to a person who is faced with this task for the first time how to properly wind it on a reel. over, the instructions do not contain information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line.
Makita. How To: Replace Nylon Line Cord
How to quickly and correctly tuck the line into the grass trimmer?
Once you figure out how to change the cutting material, the further use and maintenance of the electric trimmer will be greatly simplified. To wind the line for the grass trimmer, several operations must be performed, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right. You will have a head with the remnants of an old thread in your hands. Open it with a screwdriver, or wring out the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. This operation should be carried out carefully, since there is a spring inside, which, straightening, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the rest of the material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. There is a hole in the middle of the spool where you need to insert the material. There is also an arrow indicating the direction to reel in the grass trimmer line. It is important to consider some points. If there are two holes in the spool, then thread half of the grass trimmer line in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. When finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Assemble the drum, reinstall the spring and washers. Then, while holding the spool, thread the ends of the line into the holes on the sides of the nozzle. Then put the head in place, pulling on the cutting material.
Changing the grass trimmer line: step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer line
grass trimmers (they are also lawn mowers) are actively used by modern society for the care of lawns and other similar objects of horticultural farms. The tool is noted for its high efficiency, despite the questionable quality of cutting grass (compared to the usual peasant scythe. earth and sky). The main advantage of trimmers (lawn mowers) is high productivity with low expenditure of physical forces of the operator. However, over time, the grass trimmer’s cutting element (nylon scaffolding) wears out or gets damaged, making the grass trimmer a useless tool as a result. From here, the task becomes urgent. how to replace the trimmer head and how to replace the line of the grass trimmer head? Let’s consider this process using the example of lawn mowers manufactured by “Black and Decker” and others.
How to properly change the line on the trimmer
The grass trimmer is a handy and easy-to-use tool for cutting grass and trimming small shrubs and trees. As a cutting element, it often uses a fishing line (string, cord), because it costs less than disc knives and is safer to use. With intensive use of the tool, over time, you will need to change the line on the trimmer. This process is the same on mowers from different manufacturers, be it Husqvarna or Huter, with possible minor differences.
How does the head with a fishing line work on a brushcutter why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the splines in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the fishing line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, it is this very moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
The first way
The prepared segment (in this case, it is 4 meters) is bent approximately in half. one segment should be 15-20 cm longer, and inserted into a special slot located on the dividing wall.
The line is wound in the direction determined earlier. This is done in an interference fit, the line is neatly distributed. In this case, you need to wind a segment that is longer in the section that is closer to the button.
There are designs that do not provide for dividing the coil into two sections. This does not change anything, the line is wound in a similar way. You just need to make sure that the segments do not overlap with each other.
The first should end that section, which is located at the bottom of the coil, i.e. the one closest to the fixing holes.
This tip fits into the corresponding hole in diameter. The line is securely fixed.
A long segment is wound half a turn. There he is similarly fixed. In this case, the segment crosses another section of the coil.
A long segment is wound another half turn
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes in the spool body of the grass trimmer.
The fixed ends of the coiled line are inserted into the holes in the spool body of the grass trimmer
The coil is attached to the body. The ends of the fishing line are pulled with effort so that the fishing lines previously fixed in the holes of the reel jump out from there. It is easily identified by the characteristic sound (click).
Button spool snaps into the grass trimmer spool housing.
Button spool snaps into the grass trimmer spool housing
The line was changed successfully. In this case, you need to put it back on the grass trimmer and you can start mowing the grass.
It should be repeated, there is no need to remove the spool from the grass trimmer. this was done to clarify the process of replacing the fishing line. You can disassemble the spool in place, wind it on the spool and put it back.
Tips can and should be trimmed to prevent them from hitting the grass trimmer cover.
Step two: removing the winding drum (spool) with line
The next step in the process is the removal of the winding drum with line from the inside of the head. You need to turn the head open side to see the line and spool. On the side of the head, find two grooves (eyes) through which the fishing line is brought out.
It is necessary to free the line from the holes by turning the drum. then carefully remove the coil from the head area. The winding drum of some models is spring-mounted. This point must be taken into account when performing the extraction operation.
Procedure for removing the coil of the grass trimmer with a fishing line from the inner area of the head: 1. the head assembly with the coil; 2. remove carefully with a small axial rotation; 3. extracted parts
The old line is completely removed from the reel. To remove the old grass trimmer line, remove the wood from the retaining loops and pull on the free end. This method removes all the old winding. The same process is repeated on the second section of the drum. The master is recommended to use gloves when performing work.
Coil with one working tendril
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the reel and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the opposite direction of the spool rotation on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inside of the reel, an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of the fishing line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Complain about the video?
Please sign in to report inappropriate content.
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for dressing in a grass trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with rare exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, such a species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others that have sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference between these threads.
It is thanks to this feature that the threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which are quick wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of thread is often used in gasoline powered tools with an engine over 1.5 horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is much higher than the cost of other types of yarns.
How to replace string trimmer edger line
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a cover, a spring (not available in every model), a bobbin with a cord, and a cover. Be sure to unplug the grass trimmer before disassembling the coil of the electrical unit. The disassembly method depends on the mounting of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the spool. remove it from the body. Some trimmer spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the line to the reel
First of all, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the grass trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and bottom reel usually have side buttons on either side of the reel. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool together with the inner content for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not jump out and is not lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have spools with a special wing: in such designs, hold the spool in a stationary position with one hand, and rotate the locking reel on the rod with the wing nut counterclockwise with the other. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- electric and petrol grass trimmers with the option to mount the blade on a straight bar (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. For the rod to remain stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and, with slow rotation, such a mutual position is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. The spool body is then rotated clockwise (left-handed) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In bobbins with a lamb, a lamb is unscrewed, in coils with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread must be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to keep the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these grooves so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final step of loading the consumables into the tool is to thread the ends attached to the bobbin into the corresponding holes in the grass trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. grass trimmer ready for further work.
Features of the use of trimmers
a grass trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, like a grass trimmer, exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, the types of grass trimmer are noticeably different from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, a fishing line can be its cutting element. Of course, the line tucked into the reel of the grass trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more active the line is. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to tuck the line into the reel of the grass trimmer?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But winding the line on a reel plays an important role in the operation of the grass trimmer. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.