How to properly run in a new engine of your power tiller
How to properly run-in a single axle tractor?
Power tillers today are almost irreplaceable equipment in the horticultural work. This is a serious piece of equipment and must be treated as such. If you want it to serve you as long as possible, you must follow all the recommendations for its use.
Engine running-in, as mentioned above, is extremely important and it is necessary in order to extend the life of the equipment. This prepares the machine for further work, loads. It should not only be performed after you buy a new machine, but also after you have made major repairs.
Before starting work, prepare the machine. To begin with, you need to inspect each element, check all fasteners, check for damage or breakage. All malfunctions must be repaired immediately, otherwise unexpected situations or even failure of the unit may occur during the running-in period.
The process of getting ready to run-in:
- Check all bolts and all fasteners. They should be firm and securely screwed on;
- Fill the single axle tractor with gasoline and also fill it with oil;
- the brake and steering system should be checked before starting and also several times during the running-in period;
- The steering wheel should be in the correct position;
- Check the condition of the axles, bearings, seals, drives;
- According to the instruction manual, you must oil all the parts that require it. This step is performed in complete cleanliness, so that the oil does not get any dust, dirt or small particles of anything that could adversely affect the operation of the machine.
How to properly run in a single axle tractor?
Run-in the tractor immediately after purchase or after overhaul. Before starting the running-in period, the following actions should be carried out:
- Tighten the bolts and other fasteners;
- check technical condition of steering and brakes;
- adjust steering wheel to a comfortable position;
- Check the condition of the bearings and oil seals;
- clean and dry parts lubricate, pour oil into the crankcase (lubricants and fuel should be used that,
- which is recommended by the manufacturer).
The first thing you need to do after running-in is to “get into shape” all the machine parts and assemblies. This is why the running-in period is carried out at low loads for about the first 20 hours of operation. After the completion of the running-in period also re-inspect all the systems and assemblies of the power tiller, lubricate them.
First start of the motor block
If you buy a new crawler, always check that you have oil in the casing before starting the machine for the first time. You can do this by inspecting the oil dipstick or unscrewing the engine oil drain plug.
Usually the manufacturer already pours the engine oil at the factory and puts a sticker with relevant information on the single axle tractor, but this is not always the case. It is better to make sure yourself, since starting the engine of a motor block without engine oil will lead to its jamming or breaking in just a few revolutions. So you should always keep these in mind the first time you start a new power tiller.
First operating hours
There are several recipes for running-in a motor-block, but they all boil down to a few simple principles, which are often prescribed in the instructions for using the unit:
- First you need to start the single axle tractor and let it idle for a few to 10 hours, depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations. But it doesn’t hurt to run it in for a few extra hours. Some owners of power tillers say that it is necessary to run-in only at idle speed.
- . Then you need to start loading the links and joints of the tractor unit, starting from the smallest and gradually increasing them. You should take your bearings from the instructions of your power tiller manufacturer. But there is a well-known statement that a power tiller should be run-in at half of its maximum capacity. That is, if a single-axle tractor can plow land at a depth of 20 cm, then during the test run the plough should be run at a depth of 10 cm. It is best to do it step by step, letting the parts of your power tiller gradually adapt to the load and to each other under the load.
- Avoid sudden loads on the single-axle tractor during the running-in period, as it is fraught with minor damage to engine and transmission components, which, over time, may develop into a serious problem.
- In the first month before starting work, warm up the single axle tractor thoroughly for optimal lubrication of the engine innards.
If you carry out correct and gradual running-in of the power tiller at the beginning of use, you will save the declared by the manufacturer service life of the unit and postpone the beginning of the first engine malfunctions for a considerable period.
How to properly run-in the single axle tractor?
A running-in period for the machine is essential. All gear pairs are lapped for further normal operation.
All work must be carried out strictly in accordance with the operating instructions. The manual has information about the permissible loads of a particular model of the machine.
It is important to follow a number of rules, including:
- It is necessary to run the single-axle tractor in compliance with the specified time;
- If the plowing depth is specified up to 50 centimetres, work is carried out at a depth of up to 30 centimetres;
- A new single axle tractor can be with or without oil. This is an important nuance. It is important to pay attention to the selected brand of machine oil;
- The engine brand is determined. There are stickers on it.
After filling the crankcase with oil you can start the running-in. If there are any problems, the oil drain plug is unscrewed to check for grease.
The procedure should be carried out slowly and carefully, you must not accelerate, so as not to provoke negative consequences.
Running-in of individual models
Consider this process on individual brands of power tillers.
Oka with Lifan engine
This model must run-in for 30 hours. During this time all elements are lapped under light operating conditions and defects are identified. A new unit with a Lifan engine during testing should work at minimum loads.
When testing the motoblock for functional operations, the following requirements are met:
- The ground is worked to a depth of 10 cm in one pass in one direction;
- the choke must be open to 2/3 of its full stroke;
- on clay soil, the single axle tractor under load should not work more than 2 hours.
In addition, it is necessary to check the oil level before each start of the engine. If short, topping up to level above minimum mark on dipstick.
Neva with Subaru engine
This model, as well as MB-2 models with other engines, is run-in for 20 hours. This time is quite enough for the parts to rub down to the ideal working condition, as well as for the defects to appear in them. Do not overload the machine with heavy loads during this period.
The following should be observed during the running-in period:
- cultivate the soil with a full set of cutters in several passes at a depth of up to 10 cm at a time;
- Load the single-axle tractor with a maximum load of 200 kg;
- before starting the engine check the oil level and if it is deficient top up above the minimum mark on the dipstick;
- Fill the unit with fuel of the required brand and proper quality.
Also the tension of the drive belt should be checked regularly. Do not forget the unlocking element on the left side of the undercarriage.
The machine of this brand should run in accordance with strict rules. Their performance prolongs the service life of the power tiller as a whole.
Running-in of the new air-cooled Centaur is performed according to the following algorithm:
- The engine is loaded in stages: it should work on a third of its technical capabilities during the first three hours.
- After the first three hours of the running-in period drain the oil from the engine and the transmission fluid from the transmission units.
- During the next 4 hours of the test, the engine should be loaded to 2/3 of its rated capacities.
Monitor the permissible loads during operation. Carry out regular maintenance and service work in the intervals specified by the manufacturer.
The Salyut-100 single-axle tractor is run-in at medium rpm. The first cultivation should be done with 4 milling cutters. They are gradually lowered with every pass. Tillage is performed with the coulter.
After every 30 minutes of operation, take a break of 10 minutes. After the first 4 hours of operation change oil in engine. Change oil in the gearbox after the single axle tractor has run-in.
25 hours of break-in time is enough for this model. Do not operate the machine at full load during this period. It is also forbidden to overload it during the tests with weights.
The following standards are to be strictly observed during the running-in period:
- when testing the functional modes, it is necessary to cultivate the area in 2-3 passes, deepening the burrs no more than 10 cm at a time;
- The choke must be opened to ¾ of its full stroke;
- idle running of the motor may not exceed 10 minutes;
- Check and top up engine oil level.
The reliable operation of these power harvester models is ensured by regular maintenance and repair work. This necessarily includes the replacement of the oil and transmission fluid.
Test run-in of individual models
Let’s look at this process on some brands of power tillers.
Oka with Lifan engine
This model should be run-in for 30 hours. During this time, all elements are lapping in light operating modes and defects are identified. A new machine with a Lifan engine must operate at minimum loads when tested.
When testing the power tiller for functional operations, the following requirements must be met:
- The ground is worked to a depth of 10 cm in one pass in one direction;
- Throttle opening must be 2/3 of its full stroke;
- on clay soils the single axle tractor should not work under load for more than 2 hours.
In addition, before each start of the engine it is required to check the oil level. If there is a shortage, fill up to the level above the minimum mark on the dipstick.
Neva with Subaru engine
This model, as well as MB-2 models with other engines, is run-in for 20 hours. This time is quite enough for parts to be lapped to an ideal working condition, as well as for defects to appear in them. Do not overload the machine with too much load at this time.
When running-in the machine observe the following
- Cultivate the soil with a full set of cutters in several approaches at a depth of up to 10 cm at a single pass;
- A single-axle tractor should not be loaded with more than 200 kg;
- Before you start the engine, check the oil level and if it is insufficient, top up above the minimum mark on the dipstick;
- Fill the machine with proper quality and grade of fuel.
Check the tensioning of the drive belt at regular intervals. Do not forget the release element on the left chassis of the power tiller.
Run the machine in accordance with the following precise rules. Adjusting the carburetor on the trimmer extends the service life of the trimmer as a whole.
Running-in of the new air-cooled “Centaur” is held according to this algorithm:
- The motor is loaded in stages: it must operate at one third of its technical capacity during the first three hours.
- After the first three hours of the running-in period drain the oil from the engine together with the transmission fluid from the transmission units.
- The next 4 hours of test load the engine to 2/3 of the technical capabilities.
During operation, the permissible loads are monitored. In the allotted time periods by the manufacturer, regular maintenance and routine repairs.
Tilling in the Salyut-100 single axle tractor at medium RPM. The machine is cultivated for the first time with 4 milling cutters. They are gradually lowered with every pass. Cultivate with coulter.
After every 30 minutes of work a break of 10 minutes is made. After the first 4 hours of operation change oil in the engine. In the gearbox assembly, the oil is changed after the single-axle tractor has been run-in.
A 25-hour warmup period is sufficient for this model. During this period the machine must not be operated under full load. It is also forbidden to overload it during testing with weights.
During this period the machine must not be run-in under full load:
- when testing the functional modes, you need to cultivate a site in 2-3 passes, buried milling machines no more than 10 cm at a time;
- the throttle valve is opened to ¾ of its full stroke;
- engine idle for no more than 10 minutes;
- the engine oil level is checked and topped up.
During further operation, reliability of the operation of the listed models of power tillers is ensured by systematic maintenance and routine repair work. This includes replacing the oil and transmission fluid on a mandatory basis.
Break-in procedure for your power tiller
During the running-in period, all engine, transmission and running gear parts are lapped and worked through. Practically, it is a sparing mode of operation of the motoblock.
Running-in is carried out, following four basic rules:
- Oil level. It should be controlled before each start of the motor;
- Filling the fuel tank. The action does not cause difficulties, but it is recommended to use exactly the brand specified by the manufacturer in the instruction manual of the unit;
- Starting the power tiller. The engine should run at a medium speed for a while. Test all gears within an hour. This is not only a warm-up test for the engine, but also a fine tuning of the machine for later operation;
- The functionality of the machine. This phase includes work on cultivating, ploughing and transporting. It is important to adhere to the maximum permissible load.
Each owner of a power tiller needs to know about the peculiarities of the running-in of the device. When the process is complete, change the oil in the engine and all driveline components. Do not run the engine of a power tiller at idling speed without moving, because such actions may provoke extremely negative consequences for the machine.
Before you start work, it is necessary to carefully study the instructions. Manufacturers have indicated general recommendations for running-in of the engine of a certain brand. There is not much difference between running in a diesel motorblock and a gasoline one.
How to run in different makes of engines?
Recommendations of manufacturers on running-in of motors of current brands:
- Honda. The engine should not run idle for a long time, so that oil does not accumulate in the crankcase and its lubricating properties are not reduced. It is recommended to operate the unit within the optimal speeds, to observe the permissible loads, to adhere to the frequency of use (after 5. 20 hours of work, depending on the model);
- Subaru engine. General recommendations include: checking the condition of the air filter system, spark plugs, the fuel system, the level of contamination of the cylinder ribs. Accordingly, the Subaru engine does not need a special running-in period;
- Lifan (Lifan). Special sensors of the device will not allow the engine to start if there is a lack of oil. Single axle tractor should be run-in at medium speeds. The duration of the first operation in a gentle mode. five to eight hours. After that, the oil is changed again.
Chinese-made engines are also often fitted to modern models of power tillers. Most are four-stroke and air-cooled.
Lubrication of Chinese-made parts is performed as follows:
Ten minutes of running with no load and at 2500 rpm (average load mode);
Ten minutes of use without load and at a rotation of 3000 rpm (slightly below high load mode);
Ten minutes of no-load use and at 3,600 rpm rotation (at maximum speed);
Half an hour of operation with a light load at full throttle (cultivation at shallow plowing depth);
Half an hour at full throttle and average power (average deepening of the tillers for tilling).
This is the end of the running-in phase. To understand the difference, the idle speed is 1200 rpm.
The general recommendations for the run-in of engines are also valid for other popular brands: Neva, Shtenli, Groff, Kentavr etc.д.
Running in of diesel and gasoline power tillers. what is the difference??
There is actually no difference in running in of a diesel or gasoline tractor. The main thing is to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding operation and pour quality fuel and oil into the unit.
The engine oil and coolant fill must be done by yourself. You can’t trust store employees and suppliers of garden equipment. If they make any mistake, the consequences will be irreparable. Starting up without oil and coolant is guaranteed to “kill” the most reliable engines when running in both brand new and overhauled machines. As always, you can’t do without reading the manual. it explains all the details you won’t find elsewhere.
The main points that should be of interest to the farmer are the time of running-in manipulations and the permissible load of the power tiller during them. A cultivator is usually loaded by 50% of the maximum values. That is, if it is designed for plowing virgin land up to 50 cm deep (only the most powerful models can do this), it is not allowed to plow up more than 30 cm during the test run. To keep the cost of spare parts for trailed power tillers low and to find them quickly, it is better to choose machines of well-known brands with a well-developed service network. Limitations on loads also apply, of course, to the maximum mass of the load to be carried.
Checking for oil is not only a visual inspection. It is much safer to unscrew the screw or remove the cover (depending on the model) and see if the technical fluid is leaking out. If it does not leak, then a full tank must be filled. Once the preparations are complete, start the engine. For some time, only half-load. This time is 8 hours for most models.
Despite the formal end of the running-in period, the personal cultivator can only be fully loaded after 20 or even 30 hours of operation. It is important to keep this in mind. No less important: The most correct running-in period is good only if the machine runs smoothly and without problems. The same oil level in the engine and gearbox should be assessed before any start-up, even if you have to work for 10-15 minutes. Also check the fuel level in the tanks. Saving on quality fuel and lubricants is unacceptable. it quickly turns into even greater losses.
When the engine is running, it should first run at a moderate speed. You can start working in full only after the warm-up phase. But even in normal use after the running-in period it is not desirable to load 100% without a strong need. If you can move a load in 2 or 3 passes, you should do it. Experienced people use a similar approach when ploughing land, harvesting crops, etc. д.
Running in of some models of power tillers
Some models of power tillers have their own peculiarities during running-in. Let us have a closer look at the examples of some well-known brands.
First of all it is necessary to check the condition and the degree of fastening of all parts and connecting assemblies, check the oil and fuel level. Check for smooth clutch and throttle response, and smooth gear shifting.
Allow the machine to idle for half an hour before starting for the first time. Tillage, cultivation, ridging, grass mowing, etc. д. Carrying loads of up to half the weight of the machine.
Standard run-in time is about 15 hours. Afterwards it is necessary to carry out a complete technical inspection of the machine.
This single-axle tractor can handle fairly continuous and heavy loads, cultivate the toughest soils. This ability is ensured by the engines that the single-axle tractor is equipped with. Their power: 8. 10 l.с. Their manufacturers are world famous, these are: “Honda, Subaru and Briggs & Stratton. Their weight ranges from 105 to 115 kg. The cultivation process is limited by the width of the cultivated area: it reaches 80. 170 cm. The depth is up to 20-22 cm. Transport dynamics are as follows: maximum 12.3 km/h.
Neva MB 23 single axle tractor
There are different variations of the Neva MB-23 power tiller. They are shown in the following table.
|MB-23B-8.0||I/C 8.0 (from )||4 beats. 1 cylinder. Air cooled.|
|MB-23B-10.0||I/C 10.0 (“Briggs and Stratton”)||Same|
|BB-23B-8.0 Pro||“Vanguard 8.0 ( Briggs & Stratton)||Same|
|MB-23C-9.0 Pro||EX27 9.0 (||same|
|MB-23H-9,0 Pro||GX270 9.0 (||Same.|
The MB-23C-9.0 and MB-23B-10.0 versions won great fame.
Here is a table with technical information.
|Parameters: DxHxV max||145 x 65 x 130 cm|
|Net weight maximum||105 kg|
|Traction at the highest load maximum||160 N (kgf),|
|Dynamics of motion on the specified wheels. Condition: Engine operation within 3000 rpm at 1 km/h||Initial gear: 2,51/3,14 Second gear: 9,54/11,92 Rear drive 2,14/2,68|
|Operating potential at ambient temperature, °C||Determined by technical criteria of the introduced engine|
|Angle of fixed resistance minimum||Up to 15 degrees|
|PTO (GOST 28524-90)||Pulley type. lateral. V-belt transmission. Rotates with the same intensity as the other shaft (crankshaft).|
|Undercarriage technology||4×2 wheel configuration. Axle. one.|
|Clutch clutch||Always off. Activation method. special wedge-type belt pulley.|
|Gearbox type||Mechanical, pinion-chained. One gear shaft can be switched off.|
|Number of gears||Front wheel drive. 4. 2 on the rear.|
|Bus||Pneumatics. Parameters: 4,0×10; 4,5×10|
|Tire pressure parameter||4.5-10. 1.50.2 kgf/cm2|
|Track type||Variable, controlled in steps.|
|Track width||Standard. 32 cm. With extensions. 57 cm.|
|Turning radius||110 cm.|
|Steering gear||Boom. Intermediate settings can be implemented. Flats: horizontally and vertically.|
|Engine||Gasoline. Carburetor. 4 strokes. 1 cylinder. Forced air cooling. Presence of manual start.|
This tiller has a fuel capacity of 3.6 l. fuel. Specific consumption depends on the model capacity. 1 to 1,6 liters of fuel per hour.
Design of a power tiller and purpose of its components
Gearbox. Its type is shown in the table. It is concentrated in the case of the apparatus. Parts of the gearbox are lubricated by spraying oil. The rotation of the gears is due to the bearing. The gearbox gives the apparatus gears (front and back). Due to the drive belt (it is in the arms) you can get one more gear (rear and front). It can be filled with the following oils:. TEP-15. It retains its properties at temperatures from.5°C to 35°C. According to GOST 23652-79 TM-15. Maintains performance in conditions from.5°C to 25°C. Corresponds to GOST 17479.2-85. It is normally filled with 2.2 litres. oil.
Clutch system. Equipped with: belt, coil return spring, roller with lever, linkage and control lever. The position of the last item on the tiller arm. If the levers are pressed, the roller will move and the drive belt will be properly engaged. Engine impulse is routed to the idler pulley.
Cutters. They loosen the soil. Do not create a layer turnover. Positions: both geared axles (right and left).
Wheels. Function. moving the tractor.
Hitch hitch. Attaches additional equipment. It does not need an active drive.
Cultivation parameter (depth) limiter. Its position: the tail end of the machine. It limits the depth of ploughing and the dynamics of movement when working the soil. It can be fixed at different heights. The deciding factor here is the type of soil.
Neva MB 23 engine
Neva power tillers with Subaru engine
This single-axle tractor is run-in for 20 hours (like other Neva models with different engines). The load on the single axle tractor must not be exceeded during this period. Cultivate no more than 10 cm and transport loads weighing no more than 200 kg.
Running-in of the air-cooled Centaur engine should be carried out according to a clear algorithm:
- For the first three hours, the engine should run at one-third of its capacity;
- drain oil from the engine and transmission units, replace it with new;
- Allow the engine to run 2/3 of its operating range for 4 hours after that.
Also do not forget about the load limits and after the end of the running-in period. Perform regular inspections and repairs.
Oka motor blocks with Lifan engine
This model should be run-in for about 30 hours, doing light-duty work with minimal exertion. When running-in with attachments, remember the following rules:
- Do not work for more than 2 hours on difficult soils (e.g., clay);
- Throttle opening should be 2/3 open;
- Ploughing must be done to a depth of 10 cm in one pass.
The sequence of steps for running-in of the power tiller
During the break-in period, all engine, transmission and running gear parts are lapped and smoothed out. Practically, this is a sparing mode of operation of the Moto-Block.
The running-in is carried out by following four basic rules:
- Oil level. It should be monitored before each start of the motor;
- Filling the fuel tank. The action does not cause difficulties, but it is recommended to use exactly the brand specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the unit operation;
- Starting the engine. The motor should work for some time at medium speed. Test all gears within one hour. In this way, the engine is not only running in, but also the device is tuned for further work;
- The functionality of the unit. This stage includes work on cultivating, plowing, and transporting loads. It is important to adhere to the maximum permissible load.
Each owner of a power tiller needs to know about the peculiarities of the running-in of the unit. When the process is over, replace the oil in the engine and transmission. Running in the engine of the motor block at idling speed can not be carried out without movement, as such actions can provoke very negative consequences for the unit.
Before you start work, you must carefully study the instructions. The manufacturers give general recommendations for running in and running out of a particular brand of engine. There is no difference between running in of a diesel engine and a gasoline one.
How to run in different makes of engines?
Manufacturers’ recommendations for running-in engines of current brands:
- Honda (Honda). The engine should not run idle for a long time, so that oil does not accumulate in the crankcase and its lubricating properties are not reduced. It is recommended to operate the unit within the limits of optimum speeds, to observe permissible loads, to adhere to the frequency of use (after 5. 20 hours of work, depending on the model);
- Subaru (Subaru) engine. General recommendations include: checking the condition of the air filter system, spark plugs, fuel system, the level of contamination of the cylinder ribs. Accordingly, the Subaru engine does not need a special running-in period;
- Lifan (Lifan). Special sensors of the device will not allow the engine to start if there is a lack of oil. Single axle tractor should be run-in at medium speeds. The duration of the first operation in the sparing mode is five to eight hours. After that a new oil change is made.
Chinese engines are also often fitted to modern power tillers. Most are four-stroke and air-cooled.
The lapping of Chinese-made parts is carried out as follows:
- Ten minutes of no-load use and a rotation of 2500 rpm (medium load mode);
- Ten minutes of use without load and at a rotation of 3000 rpm (mode slightly below high);
- Ten minutes of no-load operation and a rotation of 3,600 rpm (at maximum speed);
- Half an hour of operation with a light load at full throttle (cultivation at shallow ploughing depth);
- Half an hour of use with average load at full throttle (average deepening of the cutters during cultivation).
This is the end of the running-in phase of the power tiller. To understand the difference, the idle speed is 1200 rpm.
The general guidelines for running in and out are also valid for other popular brands: Neva, Schnenli, Centaur, etc.д.