How to properly thread the line into the trimmer
How to replace line in any trimmer
Technological progress provides us with a lot of opportunities to get rid of manual labor. This includes, among other things, mowing grass, which required a lot of physical energy when using a conventional scythe. In modern conditions, this process is much easier, because the applied technique minimizes all costs. Devices such as electric and petrol trimmers have firmly taken the place of irreplaceable assistants in gardening. Mowing grass with their help has become more fun than hard and exhausting work.
Structurally, the trimmer consists of an engine, a rod and a working body, which, depending on the vegetation being cut, is either a mowing head or a milling disc. And if everything is more or less clear with the cutter, then sometimes questions arise with the nozzle. As a rule, they appear when the line ends.
String Trimmer Head | How to install new trimmer line on a traditional bump head
How to properly wind the line on the reel? Understanding.
So, first unscrew the nozzle. This should be done by rotating the drum to the right. Here we have a drum with the remnants of an old fishing line in our hands. We open it. Most often, the lid is closed with latches that can be opened with a screwdriver, threading it through the holes and slightly pressing. Or you need to squeeze the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. In this case, the lid itself must be held, since reels with automatic line feed have a spring that, when straightened, can throw out all the inner parts of the drum. Gently pulling out the reel, remove the scraps of fishing line from it.
Now you need to take 5 meters of new line and fold it in half (to find the middle). In the middle part of the reel there is a notch (in some designs. a hole), for which we need to hook our fishing line. There is also an arrow on the spool showing the direction of winding. An important detail. if the reel has two compartments, then one half of the line should be wound in one direction, and the other in the other. When finishing winding, you need to leave 15-20 cm of fishing line free. There are also two notches on the top ring of the coil, through which these free ends need to be passed. We dealt with the winding itself.
The last step in the line replacement process is to assemble the drum. First you need to install the spring and washers in their place. Then, holding the reel with one hand, with the other you need to thread the ends of the line into the corresponding holes on the sides of the nozzle. After that, install the coil in its place, pulling the line and being careful not to dislodge the spring. When all the internal elements of the nozzle take their places, you can close the drum with a lid. You just need to make some effort to ensure that the latches fall into place. Voila! The mowing head is ready for use!
How to change the line on the trimmer
Below we have provided step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer thread.
The first thing to do is to unplug the tool and turn off the engine. Then you need to remove the trimmer head. This can be done using a simple screwdriver and dropping it into the hole of the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew
They are usually unscrewed in a clockwise direction, but different models have different mechanisms, so it may have to be turned in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason, you cannot figure it out, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it.
Second. After removing the mowing head, open it. This can be done by means of clamps that are located opposite each other. By pressing on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out the spool on which the line is wound. By pulling it out, you can determine what type it belongs to. There are bobbins one-piece and two-piece
We analyze how to thread the line into the trimmer spool in two versions
So, there is only one option. we load the line into a single-section reel. The prepared piece of thread is folded in half and pushed into the spool. Then, we begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by the arrow on the spool. At the end of winding, do not forget to make sure that different ends of the thread are looking in different directions.
Option two. winding the line with a two-piece reel. The pre-prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends must be fixed: this must be done by placing them in special fasteners
Winding is carried out, as in the first case, along the arrow indicated on the spool. Both segments should be wound so that they do not cross. Further, the ends of the thread should be fixed in the grooves and divorced on opposite sides.
The spring is then inserted into the reel and the whole thing is placed in the mowing head. When placing the spool in the trimmer, you need to gently hold the spring parallel while inserting the line into the slots on the mower head. And in the end, it just needs to be secured with the final part, that is, with a lid.
After threading the trimmer, you need to check it. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you make a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, or even better, if you watch the video on how to install a line on a reel in a trimmer.
How to remove the line from the trimmer spool
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to pull out the remnants of the old line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instructions plus a video on how to pull the thread from the trimmer spool, which you can find on the net, will help in solving this issue.
It is necessary to disassemble the mowing head
Remove the cover using the clips
We clean the remnants of cutting material
Hard ? Of course not. But if, nevertheless, doubts creep into you that for some reason you cannot do this, then of course find and watch the video how to pull out or how to wind the thread on the reel of lawn mowers.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
05 July 2018
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house that needs to be constantly trimmed. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, it will become necessary to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How can this be done? To replace the main cutting element, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the instruction manual for lawn mowers should indicate the diameter of the thread to be used in it.
When you have acquired the required cutting element, try to install it correctly. It should be noted that there are a huge number of videos on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly thread the line into the trimmer coil.
How to replace the line on an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, be it electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a gas streamer, you get more freedom, since you are not limited by the cable that is present on the electric streamer.
Yes, do not hesitate to use the special videos on installing or threading the line in an electric scooter, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.
How to wind line on a trimmer
During winding, the handle of the reel should be turned smoothly, without jerks and at high speeds. Care should be taken to ensure that the thread runs in straight parallel lines. Do not wind too thick line that is not intended for this reel.
Smoothly winding fluorocarbon, you should pay attention to how much is left to the side. The optimal distance is 2 mm from the top layer to the edge of the side.
Every fisherman must know how to wind the line on the trimmer and what is backing. Backing is a reel spool reel. For this, a thread with a diameter of 0.1 to 0.3 mm is often used. If you use a thicker fluorocarbon as a reel, it can lead to uneven and uneven laying of the main line. It is highly undesirable to use wet materials for backing, such as nylon and cotton threads. They are unable to dry completely for a long time, which leads to a debate, and changing the line on the trimmer. these are additional financial costs.
The amount of thread needed for backing can only be determined empirically. This requires two spools. The required amount of working line is first wound onto one, and then the backing is wound in such a way that two millimeters remain to the edges of the side. After this procedure, the spool with wound fluorocarbon is removed and an empty one is put on, on which the thread is wound, only in the reverse order. first backing, then working nylon.
Beginning fishermen, due to their inexperience, pay little attention to the choice of a rod and tackle, and after all, the right equipment is the key to the success of fishing. Usually, spools are purchased with a spool size from 2000 to 3000, which can accommodate 100 meters of line with a number from 0.2 to 0.3 mm.
In addition to their size, they differ from each other in the way they are wound on a bobbin. You can wind the line on the trimmer spool with straight, cylindrical or tapered laying, it all depends on the model. It is also worth paying attention to the country of origin of fishing tackle. If the reel is of Chinese origin, from a cheap series, then always be prepared for line tangling during casts and the appearance of a “beard”, in addition, the cheap version quickly fails and requires repair or replacement.
With high-quality winding, fluorocarbon should form a strictly parallel stacking relative to the spool with a direct winding method, and inclined with a tapered.
How to properly attach the thread to the trimmer
Winding the line to the trimmer. it’s a simple matter, but it requires some skill. First you need to firmly attach the reel to the rod. Then pass one end of the fluorocarbon through all the ears of the rod and fasten it to the spool. To do this, you need to raise the bow of the coil, wrap the fishing line around and tie it with an Arbor knot.
If the thread is stiff or thick, then before winding it should be immersed in warm water, after this procedure it will become more elastic and lie smoother. When winding, it is desirable that there is an assistant who would hold the bobbin with the fishing line. In the process, you should slightly slow down the fluorocarbon with your finger or a soft cloth.
What should be the length of the working thread
It all depends on the method of fishing and the reservoir. If a small length of line is required for fishing, then it should be less; if a long cast is required, then more fluorocarbon is needed. For a quick change in the field, every angler should know how to change the line on the trimmer. If the spool of the reel is deep, then approximately two thirds must be filled with a cheaper thread, while the remaining part should be wound with working fluorocarbon, which is necessary directly for fishing. The reel should consist of a thinner line than the working line, this will increase the density and not fall through the main.
How to wind line on a trimmer: examples and recommendations
As a rule, before going fishing, it is necessary to check all the tackle, the reliability of the connecting loops and the sharpness of the hooks. But do not forget about the backing, which is wound on a reel, because the success of fishing in general will depend on how you wind the line around the trimmer. Incorrectly wound, it can lead to a “beard”, which is quite difficult to untangle and which takes a huge amount of precious time, the casting distance can be significantly reduced, and in general in such a situation it is better not to fish.
Storing nylon thread on a spool
How to wind the line on the trimmer. sorted it out, now let’s talk about storing fishing tackle, in particular fluorocarbon on the spool. For a long service life of the thread, you should adhere to several rules, the implementation of which allows you to save money on the purchase of new equipment.
It is important to remember that after fishing, the line and parts of the reel get wet, they should be well dried. Poorly dried fluorocarbon melts very quickly and becomes unusable. It becomes brittle and can break at the most crucial moment. To prevent this from happening, after seasonal fishing, the line from the reel should be rolled up and spread on the floor so that it dries well. This procedure should be carried out with backing (reeling). You can dry the nylon thread after each fishing trip if you go to it once a month.
You already know how to change the line on the trimmer, it shouldn’t be too difficult. Always store your fishing tackle in a dry place, this will guarantee reliability and durability.
How to change the line in the trimmer and which one is better to choose
Since we examined the choice of a trimmer in the previous article, today we will tell you how to properly fill the trimmer with fishing line, and which one is better to choose based on the working conditions.
After you bought a trimmer and began to actively use it, sooner or later the question of replacing the fishing line will arise, since this is the most wearing element in the tool, intensive use of the trimmer will lead to frequent replacement of consumables.
What types of woods are there
The most common type of line that fits almost all reel types is round cord. This is an ordinary fishing line, suitable for mowing succulent grass, but it will be much more difficult to mow dead wood with it, and even more so it will not cope with bush.
As a rule, the diameter that can be used to cut young grass does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the more coarse grass it is able to overcome.
There are fishing lines with sharp edges in the form of an asterisk or a square, this option is more adapted to mowing dry grass just due to the existing sharp edges, but its disadvantage is greater wear and is inferior in strength to a round cord.
There are fishing lines with improved aerodynamics with characteristic dents, scales and notches, such a product makes less noise, but it is used only on lawn mowers, since the exit of such a thread from the spool is difficult, it is used most often with discs into which segments are inserted. The disadvantage of such a product is its fragility.
Most often in gasoline trimmers with an engine with an output of more than 1.5 hp. use cords with a metal cable inside.
This thread is ideal for cutting dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core has a positive effect on the wear resistance of this material.
The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above opponents.
How to remove or tuck the line into the trimmer
In order to wind the line, it will take about 10-15 minutes. What is a trimmer coil? Plastic body with a cassette inside, on which there is a special hook for easy winding of the fishing line.
Almost all trimmer reels have a similar fastening principle, this is a central screw-button, when pressed, it becomes possible to pull out the line of the required length. The photo below shows a few examples of different trimmer spools.
The bobbins of the trimmers, the motor of which is located at the very ground, have a different attachment to the axis of rotation, they have two buttons on the spool located on the sides that need to be wrung out, otherwise the replacement of the thread is no different from other cassettes.
The principle of correct winding of the fishing line is similar in all of the above cases, therefore, for example, consider the standard version with two antennae.
To remove the spool with the fishing line, you need to unscrew the centrally located screw, but note that the thread is left there, so you will have to turn it clockwise, this was done on purpose so that during operation it does not open under the influence of centrifugal force.
Next, using a screwdriver, disassemble the head and remove the spool onto which the fishing line is directly wound.
Having measured the required length and folded in half, you need to tuck the fishing line into the spool, eventually bringing its ends opposite each other (for this there are special slots for fixing).
After that, it is necessary to assemble the head in the reverse order, threading the ends of the cord into two corresponding holes.
If you have doubts or it is not entirely clear how to load the line on the trimmer, we recommend that you look at how to properly wind the line into the lawn mower.
In this video, in detail, step by step, the instructor will open the trimmer head, measure the required amount of line, usually from two to four meters, and demonstrate assembly and installation on the trimmer.
- See information regarding the thickness of the cord in the annotation to the device.
- Look at the bobbin itself. Here you will like more information on the probable diameters of the line.
The line is wound on a reel in the mowing head. Therefore, at first it must be opened (as mentioned above). There are 4.5 methods of winding the cord.
Trimmer for giving
Endless and comfortable lawn mowing head
To correctly find how many meters of fishing line will be needed for a particular reel, you need to wind it on the bobbin in such a way that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line sticks out over the edges of the spool, you cannot stick it into the casing. When you have determined the length of the material, you need to thread it into the bobbin, so do the following.
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half, so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- See that the bobbin is split into 2.4 parts by the central collar, from which charging begins. Find a groove in it and stick a cord there, bent twice, applying a little effort.
- It is of fundamental importance to find in which direction the line is wound on the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. Under these circumstances, see the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done carefully, turn to turn, with the highest thread tension.
- If the laying of the cord is completed, it will be necessary to first fix the small end of the line by inserting it into a groove suitable for the diameter on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the longer one, is attached to the groove on the back of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the loaded bobbin into the mowing head. For this purpose, alternately inserting and pulling the thread along the exit holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now, of course, put on the lid and fix it with the latches.
In some reels, the 2nd method of securing the cord is provided: you can charge 2 pieces of thread, instead of the 1st, folded in half. The line is changed according to the following method.
How To Put Line On A Spinning Reel
- Before you change, in other words, load the newest thread into the coil, determine how many meters it will be needed using the method discussed above.
- One end of the cord bend hook type.
For Shtil lawn mowers, there is a very common and quick method of changing the line without disassembling the mowing head, which, of course, can be studied by watching this video.
- by turning on the trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut off against the knife, fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if the passage, if it was necessary to put a cord of a huge diameter, and the edging knife is not able to shorten it.
If the filament was loaded into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the device. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. But there are cases with the use of an automatic mowing head, when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they are not lengthened automatically. Here you need to turn off the unit (on an electronic device, you certainly need to unplug the plug), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord will again be able to move out due to centrifugal force, if you set the highest spindle speed.
Whatever thickness of the fishing line you set, you should keep in mind: in order not to interrupt work at all times and not even change the cord, you should avoid areas where the working tool touches hard surfaces (pebbles, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
Some users of trimmers ask themselves the question: how can you change the cord, which is used by deflot in this type of apparatus? They begin to conduct dangerous experiments by installing iron or copper wire, iron cables or strings, in addition to ordinary fishing line, in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, then the trimmer is converted into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that at the time of the operation of the unit, the metal cable will work evenly, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
A similar thing happens with the use of metal or copper wire, only with the only difference that the pieces that have come off will be larger and cause significant injury.
Choose a line for the petrol trimmer (lawn mowers | lawn mowers): 1.6, 3.2, 3 mm. round, star, square
If you accidentally hook your or someone else’s leg while working with a machine with an iron cable (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and sometimes amputation of toes, is guaranteed for you. The manufacturer does not use nylon for such purposes in vain, since it is quite light and strong, and when it comes off it does not fly far away and cannot cause injury.
It is probably possible to use fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard one, but this will add unnecessary hassle for you, since it quickly wears out, breaks, mows slowly for cutting tough grass. Also, when carrying out work, a long period is lost for never replacing a broken tool.
How to properly wind the line in the trimmer, and what to do if the line is quickly consumed, breaks
Why Trimmer Line Runs Out Quickly
Step-by-step annotation on how to wind the line on the trimmer spool
With the arrival of spring, you often spend your time at the dacha or in your personal plot. The trimmer will protect you from obstacles such as grass and weeds. I don’t know why in the trimmer. 4. 4mm line is very fast why. This tool easily trims and mows grass in difficult areas, where an ordinary lawnmower cannot do it. The trimmer is a very effective and successful tool for cutting grass along fences, flower beds, houses and aisles in the garden. A number of types of garden trimmer have been invented (gasoline, electronic and battery). It would seem that everything is fine, in your arsenal there is such an excellent assistant, but over time, the cutting element wears out and it becomes necessary to replace the finished line. How to tuck the line into the trimmer, not everyone knows. We suggest using a step-by-step annotation with attached photos.
Instructions on how to wind the line on the trimmer spool
- 1. First you need to disassemble the trimmer head. Click on the latch on the product body and turn the cover clockwise. Removing the bobbin.
- Now we have to figure out how to wind the line on the trimmer reel. We measure approximately 6-7m of line and insert its end into the hole of the bobbin.
- We reel the line from 2 sides. The winding direction is always marked with an arrow on the bobbin.
- Leave the ends of the 15 cm long cutter free. Do not wind too much line. Leave 6mm between the outside of the bobbin and the line.
- Insert the remaining two ends of the line into the reverse holes of the bobbin.
- We fix both ends in the grooves on the head body.
- Carefully install the spring back into the bobbin guides and into the head body.
- In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer to be correct, the bobbin must go back into the head body (press it a little). Pull the loose ends of the line out as needed. Pull the ends of the cutting element sharply one by one so that they come out of the grooves of the bobbin and pass freely through the holes on the head.
- So, we figured out how to wind the line on the trimmer reel. It remains only to align all the grooves on the head body and close the lid. Then we press on the bobbin and begin to rotate it counterclockwise until it stops. While holding the bobbin, turn it slightly clockwise and release it. If there was a clicking sound, then it snapped into the head. If this did not happen, then you need to repeat the action again.
- Pull out the loose ends of the line until they stop.
Why does the line fly out when using the trimmer?
The trimmer is the most common machine used for trimming grass and cutting small bushes. This device is distinguished by its own simplicity in maintenance, easy control during its operation, and due to its low weight, even ladies can use it. It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. For the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) are used in trimmers, as it is also called trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line are a consumable tool, if there is an option to sharpen the knives, then when you use the fishing line, you need to change it. In this post, we will very carefully tell you how to correctly change the line.
A grass mowing head is essentially a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a fishing line (cord) tucked in there. This design can be installed on both a gasoline trimmer and an electronic trimmer. Heads differ in the method of threading and feeding the cord and there are 3 types.
- Automatic. The line is fed when the user lowers the engine speed. Although the automatic line feed is comfortable, if a huge amount of work is being done, such bobbins have one drawback. a high thread consumption.
- Automatic. The introduction of this type of heads does not ask the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their operation is designed so that the cord is lengthened by the office machine when the machine is operating at full speed. It is enough to hit the trimmer head on the ground a little (this removes the blockage of the cord), and the line is pulled out of the bobbin by centrifugal force, then cut to a suitable length with a knife placed on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the device must be stopped, then the line is manually stretched.
For the above reasons, automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be noted that there are single-string trimmer coils (used only for trimming the grass) and two-string ones, which are used for mowing the highest grass and small, with thin trunks of bushes.
Before starting the process of changing the cord, it is necessary for users of trimmers to remove and disassemble the coil. Let’s see how to do it.
The trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: a cover, a spring (not on many models), a bobbin with a cord and a cover.
Attention! While proceeding with any maintenance of the electronic unit, it must be disconnected from the network.
In trimmers, in most cases, 4.5 options for mounting the mowing head are used.
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you need to press on the latches (latches) located on its 2 sides.
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you will need to fix the myth shaft. For this purpose, in similar trimmers, for example, in the Huter and Champion machines, a hole is foreseen through which, of course, stick either a narrow screwdriver or an iron bar.
To remove the bobbin, follow the usual 2.4 steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start turning it clockwise. Twisting in this direction should be due to the circumstances that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
Depending on the duration of the project, which trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the line are selected. The diameter of the cord you will like better from 1.4 to 4 mm. It is easy to think that the thicker you fill the cord, the more tough and thick grass it is able to cut.
As a rule, a universal line with a diameter of 4 mm is used.
There are 3 methods to find out which line size your mower is using.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small electric bottom motor trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-hand) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on snaps, then press on the sides on the base of the snaps so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the spool (bobbin) of the trimmer. It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer. this will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to unwind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound in order to expose it outside. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both antennae are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. Assembling the coil and attaching it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the fold into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the “wrong” direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!
Trimmer head types
Also, the scythe heads may have a different device: with automatic line feed, semi-automatic or manual. In the first case, in order to lengthen the working ends of the thread, it is necessary to slightly reduce the speed. And when you add them again, the line will come out automatically. For semi-automatic devices, you need to press a special button located below. It is not necessary to turn off the trimmer. It is enough just to hit the scythe on the ground. The most inconvenient to work with are hand-fed trimmers. To lengthen its working ends, the tool must be turned off and the operation must be performed manually.
There is also a reel with a trimmer line:
- single-string. suitable only for cosmetic trimming of the local area;
- two-string. used for more serious work to clean the area from grass.
- A ring must be cut out of thin but durable plastic, and its inner diameter should be equal to the thickness of the core on which the fishing line is wound, and the outer one. to the diameter of the reel.
- On the inside of the ring, you need to make a small notch through which the thread will be threaded.
- Next, the ring is cut, put on the coil. And the place of the cut is glued together with tape or soldered with a hot knife. That’s all. now each end of the line can be wound on its own part of the reel.
Trimmers are different
To understand how to wind the line on the trimmer reel, you first need to figure out the tool itself: what kind of company it is, how it works, how it works and what parts will be needed for repairs. To begin with, trimmers are divided into gasoline and electric, and they can have a knife and fishing line as cutting elements. There are 3 trimmer modifications:
- with fishing line and knives with 2–4 blades;
- only with knives;
- only with line.
Of course, craftsmen can improve anything and sometimes they fill the trimmers, for example, with metal wire or fishing line. But doing this is absolutely not worth it. you can seriously injure yourself or others.
As you already understood, refueling the line into the trimmer reel is a simple matter, it is quite within the power of every novice summer resident. You just need to understand how exactly your instrument is arranged, and do the work carefully, without rushing.
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared segment of six meters in length must be bent exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The hook is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. You do not need to wind the thread to the very tip. about fifteen centimeters should remain free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small recesses (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these grooves.
- The top of the coil is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And for this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment was inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coils are exactly the same as described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the trimmer spool changes. There is nothing complicated in the process. And after several refueling operations, all actions will come to automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different videos showing how to wind the line on the trimmer reel.
A garden trimmer is a useful tool that makes life much easier for any gardener or private home owner. The grass just rushes in the summer, especially after the rains, so you can’t go anywhere without it. But over time, sooner or later, the line in it will end, and it will be necessary to insert a replaceable skein of new line. Some summer residents get stumped. how to do it yourself? So our article will help them.
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with rare exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, such a species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is thanks to this feature that the threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which can be called rapid wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. Threads of this type are often used in gasoline-powered tools with an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core significantly exceeds the cost of other types.
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device like a trimmer exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, trimmer types differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, a fishing line can be its cutting element. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of the line on the reel plays an important role in the trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Choosing a fishing line
Look closely at the cross-section of the line, it can be round or with ribs (square, “star”). The cut thread is good for picking up tougher grass and weeds. However, if the grass is too stiff, it is better to use a lawn mower with knives (milling cutter).
Some types of fishing line have rather sharp edges, so in order to avoid injury, it is worthwhile to refuel the reel with gloves.
How to wind the line into the trimmer?
When refueling the line for the first time, this process may seem quite laborious, but with time and dexterity, the task is solved much faster.
In order to refuel the line, you must:
- Take the coil, unscrew its cap. Some spools have a thread to the left, so the lid must be unscrewed in the required direction.
- Measure five meters of line;
- Fold this segment in half, that is, determine where the middle is;
- Next, place this middle of the fishing line in a special hole on the reel;
- Wind the line in the direction of the arrow;
- If there are two places for winding, then the first part of the line should be wound on one half of the reel, and the second part on the other half;
- Push both ends of the fishing line into the holes of the reel;
- Screw on the lid.
Winding the line correctly onto the trimmer spool
What line is used for the trimmer?
There are several types of fishing line:
- The most durable is rounded;
- For mowing soft vegetation. curly;
- For mowing thin grass. serrated;
- Special. fits certain trimmers.
The section of the cutting thread must match the vegetation to be cut.
If it is necessary to replace the fishing line, then it is necessary to select exactly the type that is recommended by the manufacturer of this particular trimmer model, that is, the thickness of the cutting thread should be suitable for the engine power and the size of the unit.
It is better to choose a specialized cutting thread. It is worth soaking the line for a while if you plan to replace it in the spool.
After soaking, it gains elasticity and becomes stronger.
The cutting thread can be made from different components. The most common among them is nylon.
This material is characterized by a high degree of wear resistance, the ability to withstand various temperatures and high loads.
Nylon line can be stored for a long time, it does not dry out and does not lose its strength.
Therefore, its service life can be quite long.
Lawn mower spools or heads have a different structure:
- Single string. In the modification of such a trimmer, there is only one working line. This unit is used mainly for small jobs, such as trimming the grass.
- Two-stringed. They can be both automatic and semi-automatic. The package here includes two strings. This trimmer is used for mowing and clearing areas.
Instructions for correctly winding the cutting thread onto the trimmer spool:
- First of all, you need to disassemble the head. To do this, press the latch and turn the cover to the side. Next, the spool is removed.
- Measure out the required amount of cutting thread and insert it into the slot.
- Wind the line on both sides in the direction of the arrow.
- Leave the ends 15 cm long uncoiled.
- These ends fit into opposite slots.
- Then the ends are fixed in the hole on the head.
- After that, the spool is carefully inserted into the body, for this you need to slightly press on it.
- If necessary, you can pull the remaining ends of the thread out. To do this, first pull one end of the thread, and then the other so that they can easily pass through the slots on the head.
- Now you need to collect the grooves on the body and screw the cover.
- Then press the spool and try to twist it all the way. If you hear a click, the spool has clicked into place.
- Next, you need to pull the free ends of the thread to the end.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer?
To change or wind the cutting thread on the spool, it must be removed.
The complexity of its removal depends on the model of the tool:
- Low motor tool. The motor is almost at the ground here. To remove the coil, press the buttons on the side of the trimmer. After pressing these buttons, the body opens where the line spool is located.
- Curved bar trimmer. Here it is necessary to turn a special lamb counterclockwise. Then the coil and the spring in it are removed.
- Straight bar tool. The bar is held motionless with a screwdriver or other object. It is removed by turning it clockwise. Then the tool is disassembled into parts and the reel is taken out.
- If a tool with one antenna is used, then about four meters of thread will be needed. This thread is passed into a hole inside the spool, where it can be fixed. Next, one end of the line is directed in the direction of the arrow. Then the end of this thread is fixed in the groove, which is in the bobbin. This is to prevent the thread from unwinding when assembling the spool. If there are no grooves, you should hold the line with your hand and collect the bobbin.
- If a tool with two antennae is used, then first check the number of grooves present.
If the reel is equipped with a semi-automatic mechanism, then the line is wound as follows:
- The thread is threaded through the hole that is inside;
- Fix the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The coil is assembled and a special button is pressed;
- After which the line itself begins to dangle in the right direction.
It must always be remembered that the cutting thread must be protected from hard things. This will extend its lifespan.
If you do not adhere to this rule, you will often have to stop work, remove the spool and change the thread to a new one.
Threading the spools with thread of different types of bobbins
With two-string automatic heads:
- First you need to press the clamp until you hear a click, remove the cover.
- Rotate the spool carefully so that it can detach from the holder. Extract her.
- Measure out two lengths of cutting thread of the same length. To make further work easier, the ends of the line must be cut off at an angle. Take one end and push it into the special hole in the coil. It can also be slots, grooves, clamps, etc.
- Further, in the direction of the arrow, you need to wind the fishing line, and quite tightly and evenly. It is necessary to fix the end of the fishing line in a special eyelet on the reel.
- Subject the other half of the line to the same operation, only on the other half of the reel.
- Next, install the coil into the trimmer head. And thread the rest of the line through the hole in the head.
- Then carefully straighten the thread and close the lid. If the line turns out to be long, then it is better to cut off the excess. There should be about fifteen centimeters left on each side.
On the semi-automatic head:
- The thread is threaded through the hole that is inside;
- Fix the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The coil is assembled and a special button is pressed;
- After which the line itself begins to dangle in the right direction.
It is necessary to very carefully and carefully thread the cutting thread into the unit, because not only the cleanliness of the garden area, but also personal safety depends on the correct winding of it.