How To Pull The Line To The Trimmer
How to wind line on a trimmer spool: winding methods and
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true of those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
- Features of the use of trimmers
- Which line to choose
- Selection by thickness
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with very few exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, this species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others that have sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is due to this feature that threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which can be called rapid wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of thread is often used in gasoline-powered tools with an engine over 1.5 horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is significantly higher than the cost of other types of yarns.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the reel, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the top edge of the bobbin to secure the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these recesses so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable into the tool. the ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves in the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not easy. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the spools of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It must be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device like a trimmer exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, trimmer types differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a fishing line. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of the line on the reel plays an important role in the trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Selection by thickness
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one "but". It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using an unsuitable thread can damage the instrument. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the device motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can start considering ways to wind it on a reel.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
05 July 2018
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house that needs to be constantly trimmed. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, it will become necessary to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How can this be done? To replace the main cutting element, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the instruction manual for lawn mowers should indicate the diameter of the thread to be used in it.
When you have acquired the required cutting element, try to install it correctly. It should be noted that there is a huge amount on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly thread the line into the trimmer coil.
How to change line on a trimmer
Below we have provided step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer thread.
The first thing to do is unplug the tool and turn off the engine. Then you need to remove the trimmer head. This can be done using a simple screwdriver by lowering it into the hole in the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew
They are usually unscrewed clockwise, but different models have different mechanisms, so it may have to be turned in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason, you cannot figure it out, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it
Second. After removing the mowing head, open it. This can be done by means of clamps that are located opposite each other. By pressing on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out the spool on which the line is wound. By pulling it out, you can determine what type it belongs to. There are bobbins one-piece and two-piece
We analyze how to thread the line into the trimmer spool in two versions
So, there is one option. we load the line into a single-section reel. The prepared piece of thread is folded in half and pushed into the spool. Then, we start winding both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by the arrow on the spool. At the end of winding, do not forget to check that different ends of the thread are looking in different directions.
Option two. winding the line with a two-piece reel. The pre-prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends must be fixed: this must be done by placing them in special fasteners
Winding is carried out, as in the first case, along the arrow indicated on the spool. Both segments should be wound so that they do not cross. Further, the ends of the thread should be fixed in the grooves and divorced on opposite sides.
The spring is then inserted into the reel and the whole thing is placed in the mowing head. When placing the spool in the trimmer, you need to gently hold the spring parallel while inserting the line into the slots on the mower head. And in the end, it just needs to be secured with the final part, that is, with a lid.
After threading the trimmer, you need to check it. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you make a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, or even better, if you look at how to install the line on the reel in the trimmer.
How to remove the line from the trimmer spool
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to pull out the remnants of the old line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instructions plus how to remove the thread from the trimmer spool, which you can find on the net, will help in solving this issue.
The mowing head must be disassembled
Remove the cover using the clips
Cleaning up the remnants of cutting material
Complicated ? Of course not. But if, nevertheless, doubts creep into you that for some reason you cannot do this, then of course find and see how to pull out or how to wind the thread on the reel of the lawn mowers.
How to replace the line on an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, be it electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a gas streamer, you get more freedom, since you are not limited by the cable that is present on the electric streamer.
Yes, do not hesitate to use special rollers for setting or threading the line in an electric scythe, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.
What can be used instead of fishing line
Many trimmer users are wondering: what can replace the default cord used in this kind of machines? Begin unsafe experiments by placing metal or copper wires, metal ropes or strings, and regular fishing line in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, the trimmer turns into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the unit, the steel cable will gradually work, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
And if you accidentally hook your or someone else’s leg while working with a steel cable (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and in some cases amputation of toes, is guaranteed. It is not in vain that the manufacturer uses nylon for these purposes, since it is quite light and durable, and when it comes off, it does not fly far and cannot cause injury.
Of course, you can use a fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard line, but this will add extra trouble to you, since it wears out quickly, breaks, mows slowly and is not suitable for cutting tough grass. In addition, when carrying out work, a lot of time is lost to replace the broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of a regular line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if he is from the netting. In this case, in order to protect the standard and sometimes expensive line from wear and tear, it is changed to fishing line, which is not bad for AL-KO. Usually, in order to change the line to line, it must be selected with the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
How to change the line in the trimmer
The trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is distinguished by its simplicity in service, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can handle it. It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trim heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers. Nozzles and line are consumable tools, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it must be replaced. In this article we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
No cord feed, coil does not spin
An automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the line without stopping the unit. But if it does not come out, then the reasons may be as follows:
- The line in the reel is not wound correctly, because of which the latter does not spin;
- The cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between the turns (the thread should be wound neatly, turn to turn, without distortions);
- Too short ends of the thread come out of the holes, as a result of which there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line is not fed (it is recommended to always adjust the cord length before starting the unit by pulling it slightly);
- The line is stuck together (will be discussed later).
Option number 2
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix this shaft. To do this, in similar trimmers, for example, in the Huter and Champion, there is a hole through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 easy steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start turning it clockwise. Turn in this direction for the reason that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
Option number 1
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press on the latches (latches) located on both sides.
- Removing the cover reveals a spool that needs to be removed from the case. Some spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- When you remove the bobbin, you will see a slotted screw for a Phillips or flat head screwdriver in the center of the case. It is possible that there may be a hex bolt or an asterisk bit.
- Using a screwdriver, choosing the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grab the part housing and, swinging it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
Line winding algorithm
Depending on which trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the line are selected. The diameter of the cord can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. It is not difficult to guess that the thicker you fill the cord, the harder and thicker grass it is able to cut.
There are 3 ways to find out which line diameter you can use on your mower.
- View information on the thickness of the cord in the instructions for the device.
- Look at the bobbin itself. It can contain information about the possible diameters of the line.
- Insert the line into the outlet. If it easily passes into it, then a cord of this diameter can be used.
The line is wound on a reel in the mowing head. Therefore, you first need to open it (this was discussed above). There are 2 ways to wind the cord.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer. this will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small, bottom motor electric trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-hand) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to unwind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound in order to expose it outside. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, collect and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both tendrils are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove must have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We rewind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the fold into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the "wrong" direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. That is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this sore question. Explore the article and find out how the line winds around the trimmer reel.
The procedure for winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line. this point should be taken into account when purchasing consumables.
So how do you load the line into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the entrance, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove old line scraps.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut it off and fold it in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing recess or insert into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided spool: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end in one direction, the other in the other, while the loop of the fishing line must be wound into the dividing slot in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step is to assemble the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, trying to tighten the line without displacing the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a characteristic click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimming blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is not difficult: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will come in handy when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- The line comes in different thicknesses and cross-sections. The best option for winding is the "native" line for this model;
- Never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. This replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- The line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop each time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass and pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.