How to put on a brushcutter correctly
How to work correctly with a brushcutter (trimmer)
The working principle and design of brushcutters is not very different from any other small gasoline-powered implement, e.g. chain saw, power hack saw or hedge trimmer. The basis of the brushcutter design is a gasoline 2-stroke carburetor engine with one cylinder (less often a four-stroke), a manual starter and an air cooling system. The engine runs on a fuel mixture of gasoline and 2-stroke motor oil, in the proportion of 1:50. The proportion of fuel mixture may vary from the standard depending on the individual recommendations of the manufacturer, specified in the instruction manual of the product. Always follow the recommended proportions. The cutting attachment for the brushcutter is the mowing drum with the line or the metal cutting blade, the saw. The engine revolutions are transferred to the cutting headset in the following way: crankshaft. clutch. clutch plate. drive shaft. bevel gear. mowing head (blade).
For good mowing results and long working life it is important to use and look after your brushcutter properly. Even if this is the first time you are holding a brushcutter you will soon get the hang of correct mowing techniques. Simply swing the machine from right to left in a semicircle, gradually moving forward.Below we show you the basic technique and some tricks with which you can quickly mow even large areas and get the best results in mowing quality.
Basic mowing technique. The most common ones are.
Since the cutting tool rotates counterclockwise, in working practice, the most common mowing motion is from right to left.The advantage of this method is that the cut grass falls on an already cut surface.
Large, flat surfaces. The right technique.
Large, flat surfaces are best mowed using the square mowing method. The area is divided into squares, then you always work along the outer side towards the middle.
The basic technique in case of tall grass.
For very high grass or stiff weeds we recommend mowing in both directions of movement: first you cut the upper part of the mowed grass in one movement to the right, with a counter-movement (to the left). lower. Even then the cuttings remain on the left side.
Along the slope. Mow after mow.
You will make good progress with the straight mowing method especially on a slope: mow one swath parallel to the slope and then go back along the mowed swath. Then mow the next higher swath. And here the mowed grass is always placed on an already mowed surface.
Skilfully negotiate around obstacles. Mow playfully.
To cut close to trees or bushes without damaging limbs or trunks, a string trimmer is best. If there are many plants a short distance apart, mowing is suggested here before mowing. Use the guard of your brushcutter as a guide. Lead it all the time directly along the trunk of the tree or shrub, and move around them. The trunk will remain protected, the area around the trunk will be mowed.
A few more tips when working with a brushcutter
Mowing. Hold the grass trimmer head directly over the ground at an angle. The end of the stringline does the job. Allow the string to run at its own speed. Do not press the trimmer line against the area to be mowed! This overloads the motor and the mowing head. they can fail or melt! Cutting. grass trimmers are ideal for cutting grass that is difficult to reach with a regular mower. Keep the string parallel to the ground while cutting. Avoid pressing the grass trimmer head against the ground, as you could ruin the lawn and damage the tool. Trimming with a knife. Mow with a side-to-side pendulum motion, the right-to-left motion is working, and the left-to-right motion is reciprocating. The blade must cut the grass with its left edge (on the clock face. between 8 and 12).
Cutting the grass
Purpose of trimmer head (grass trimmer reel, mowing head, grass trimmer bobbin)
- To remove all unwanted vegetation under walls, along fences, curbs, around trees, posts, bushes, between stumps and other obstacles.
- To mow lawns that are out of reach of the lawnmower.
- To selectively cut thinned grass and weeds before mowing your land for hay.
- To cut weeds in the bed between the plants.
- To sow potato haulm in the vegetable garden before digging.
- To completely remove grass and weeds from, for example, paths.
- To sweep (creates an air vortex from the large revolutions of the grass trimmer’s line).
The trimmer head (mowing head or grass trimmer reel) has a high output when mowing grass, t.к. it is lighter for its metal blade and has a larger cutting diameter of 45 cm, compared to 25 cm for a hay blade.
Three versions of garden trimmers are available. electric, battery and gasoline. Network models, plugged into the socket, are less common, as they have minimal opportunities for autonomous operation due to the connection to the power grid. Also, in terms of economy, it’s not the best grass trimmer for mowing the grass. An electric unit can justify itself only in the work in areas adjacent to the house, if there is an opportunity to supply extension cords for connecting cables.
Potential for churning flying rocks puts windows at risk in homes and cars. Shields around the trimmer head are in place to reduce flying debris and protect the operator. no one removes the shields after the modified grass trimmer is no longer under warranty or can be used safely.
When refueling, make sure the engine is stopped and the grass trimmer is placed on a flat, level surface. preferably not grass. The grass trimmer should never be left on the grass for an extended period of time. Re-priming should be done with the proper system to avoid leaks or overfilling.
The direct competitor of electric models has always been considered gasoline modifications. They provide high power, virtually limitless movement, and handle even shrub cutting. But, gasoline grass trimmer for mowing the grass is also characterized by a lot of weight, noisy operation, strong vibrations, exhaust emissions and high cost. Cordless versions are also not tied to a power source, but they lose out to gasoline trimmers in terms of power.
Be sure to use the appropriate string weight as specified in the owner’s manual. A grass trimmer string that is too thick for the engine can cause damage. Some grass trimmers can accept a trimming blade, but never use a blade on a trimmer that is not designed to use trimming blades. Accessories that are not designed for a particular grass trimmer can create excessive vibration, engine wear or binding. This can lead to engine strain, possible component failure, and potential damage to the operator.
How to properly mow grass with a garden trimmer
Working with a brushcutter is easy enough if you know the basic principles and have a little hand. Here are a few tips to help you get a good result and keep your lawn well groomed:
- If tall grass or strong stemmed weeds need to be cut, use double motions. First cut the top of the stems, moving the mower from right to left, then mow everything else, moving in the opposite direction.
- If you need to process a large area, you need to divide the area into squares, starting the movement on the outer sides and gradually moving toward the center.
- Work on slopes according to the following algorithm: start at the bottom, mowing grass in parallel lines and gradually climbing up. Grass will drop down into the cut area without interfering with your work.
- To mow plants around an obstacle, consider the protection of the chain saw. Move around the obstacle and move your tool gently around it.
- Always use only good quality attachments on your petrol grass trimmer. If you work with lines or blades of poor quality, the grass may not be cut, but uprooted. the lawn will quickly deteriorate.
How to mow grass with a fishing line
It’s safer to mow with a trimmer that has a trimmer cord or fishing line than to work with knives. But the work efficiency will be lower. It is always better to select consumables for specific tasks and combine their use.
When working with a gasoline trimmer, on which a line for the trimmer is installed, you need to adhere to the following tips:
- mow at a height of about 10 cm above the ground;
- mow the top part of the grass first, and then cut the stem at the base. this will help to avoid winding on the working part;
- it is better to drive the unit in the same direction in which the spool rotates;
- When mowing lawns, it is better to work with the tips of the line to reduce the load on the engine;
- every 15 minutes of work it is necessary to give the gasoline trimmer a rest.
How to mow grass with knives
Knives (disk) show themselves well when working with hard grass or shrubs, but you should follow some safety rules. Here are the main points to remember when using the blades:
- The blades are suitable for mowing hard grass, young trees or bushes.
- The more difficult the task, the larger the diameter of the blade disc should be.
- Only install discs on your grass trimmer that are the right size for the tool’s capabilities. Otherwise, the grass trimmer may break.
- If the tool is on, it can only be used to mow, but not to replace consumables, lubricate or inspect the gasoline trimmer.
- Choose discs based on the information on it, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not sharpen the blades yourself, this can ruin the part.
Popular questions about gasoline garden trimmers
In this section, we’ve answered a few common questions about gasoline trimmers.
Why the lawnmower does not start?
If you can not start the gasoline trimmer or it immediately stops, you need to check the ignition by removing the spark plug. A dry spark plug means that the problem lies in the system responsible for the fuel supply. A wet spark plug indicates a faulty ignition system. If the spark plug has soot on it, clean it or replace it.
Another reason could be a clogged air filter. If it is contaminated with oil, you need to clean, wash and dry it.
Why does the lawnmower quit??
Depending on the exact moment at which the grass trimmer stalls, the causes may be different.
- In case the gasoline grass trimmer stalls when you step on the gas, you need to check the air damper. If it is in the closed position, it needs to be in the open position.
- Another possibility is a clogged filter.
- The gasket between the cylinder and the carburetor may also be damaged.
- A cracked fuel hose will cause air intake.
At idle speed
It can sometimes take a while before the lawnmower stops working after it is running. Causes may include:
- The carburetor is not properly adjusted;
- Contamination of the carburetor, filter, or throttle;
- Air in the carburettor system;
- Faulty ignition system;
- lack of gasoline.
Why does the lawnmower get hot??
- One of the warmest parts is the gearbox. If there is not enough lubrication in the mechanism, the gears will rub and get hot. This can also happen with new gearboxes where the gears have not had time to run in. Gearbox operating temperature may be up to 60°C.
- Another reason why a lawn mower gets hot is when it is used at its maximum capacity. The tool should be resting regularly.
- There may not be enough oil in the fuel mix. this leads to oil starvation, more friction and generates more heat during operation.
- clogged cooling air passages.
Lawnmower. what to replace the line for the trimmer?
If the capabilities of the fishing line are not enough to mow hard grass or shrubs, you can try to install a reinforced line for the trimmer. Another alternative. a disc with knives. It is suitable even for young trees and tough undergrowth.
How to mow grass correctly with a line trimmer?
Practical gardening tools are becoming increasingly popular. With the acquisition of a new helper, questions are inevitable, how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. To begin with, it’s a great addition to your existing lawnmower. It can be trusted with large areas, and the finishing work will produce a trimmer for grass with a fishing line. Let’s clarify, the line for the trimmer is designed to cut weeds and delicate branches. For rougher work, models equipped with metal blades or a chain are used.
Safety precautions during work
Technique work trimmer with a string and disk has some differences. A trimmer line cuts the grass at its tip, but going too fast activates the entire length. The result is that stems are not cut, but the grass is wound up on the cord, thus overloading the engine. That’s why it’s important to choose the best line speed. In addition, when mowing tall and hard grass, the trimmer line is consumed faster than when mowing the lawn.
There are a few simple recommendations that make mowing more efficient and effective.
- Trimmer with a motor below is convenient for mowing garden paths, flowerbeds and the edges of lawns. The plane of rotation of the coil of such a device can be placed perpendicular to the ground.
- Mow thickets, large weeds, bushes with discs or special attachments.
- When clearing large areas, the unit should be tilted to the left, in the direction of the sweep.
- To cut the grass around flower beds, bushes and other objects, you should turn the grass trimmer head with the hood towards them. That way you can cut the cutting head without damaging it.
Remember that the bobbin or disc must not touch the ground or any obstacles other than grass or twigs that you want to cut.
Safety precautions when working with brushcutters include.
- Do not use trimmers in rain or high humidity.
- People and animals must keep at least 15 meters away from the working device: grass clippings, small debris and stones fly out from under the cutting head at high speed and can injure people.
- The grass trimmer operator should wear heavy clothing that completely covers his hands and feet.
- Wear safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, closed shoes, special earphones or earplugs.
- The lead of the power grass trimmer must be behind the mower.
So, the use of hand-held devices for grass mowing allows you to maintain order on a small area. On large areas it is more convenient to use a mower. In addition, the grass trimmer is relevant when making hay and putting in order on the territory: small grass clippings can mulch strawberries and other useful plants. You can visually see how to mow with this tool on the video.
Unlike a disc, a cord trimmer is safer, but not always the best way to mow. As they say, it is worth choosing a cutting mechanism under the peculiarities of your area of work, or use integrated systems, where you can operate both the disc and the line for the trimmer, if necessary, setting the first, then the second.
As we have already written, lawn mower with a fishing line can be automatic, semi-automatic and manual. In the first case, the cutting element is “thrown” itself after each new start of the machine. It is very convenient, but not economical enough, for example, if your area is irregular in shape, and contains corners, jagged edges, and during the long transition to each of these areas mechanism should novo turn off and on.
It is important for the operator to understand that the length of the line ends that he sees in front of him when extended is exactly the diameter that the device will mow. You can read about how to thread a line in a reel in one of our articles, but the main thing to remember: the length of line ends should be optimal for correct mowing.
How to mow with a chainsaw correctly? This should be done so that it will last as long as possible:
- Keep the spool 10 cm above the ground;
- When working with tall grass. mow it at the top, and then already at the stem, to protect yourself from its winding on the device;
- lead the machine in the same direction in which the spool rotates;
- lawn grass, especially near walls and garden décor, it is better to mow with the tips of the line so as not to overload the motor;
- Take a break every 15 minutes.
You’ll find any answers to your questions about mowers in this section of the site, but we’re also happy to offer spare parts for lawn mowers among our other range of benzoinstrument.
Ideally, tall grass can be mowed with a powerful trimmer with a thick line. But, agree, the land where weeds grow is not always smooth, landowners often have bushes and all kinds of debris, stones. To avoid running over your precious machine it’s better to mow in two stages.
If you are preparing grass for hay and you know the condition of the ground more or less. then you can forecast your work easier. Any technique, designed for grass mowing, can cope with high overgrowth. The main thing is not to rush and to approach the process itself, as we demonstrate in the practical video.
- Do not overload the machine;
- If the grass gets tangled, immediately turn off the device;
- Do not mow wet grass, not even with a petrol-powered trimmer.
Buy a grass trimmer spool, knives and disks. you can always at us, in the store KosiKosa.
Choosing a line
In order to thread the line into the trimmer head successfully, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumable. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. A universal trimmer line with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Look for information on line thickness in the instruction manual that came with your trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. It sometimes has information about possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet hole. If it fits through without difficulty, then the chosen line diameter is suitable.
Grass trimmer reel
You can choose your filament by type of motor. If the trimmer line is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. the motor will then overheat too much and will soon fail. Helpful recommendations:
- A 1.3mm filament is fine for an electric device with a motor under 500V. If you can’t find one, you can use a 1.6 mm trimmer line. If the power is greater than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has the importance of the shaft mower. For the bent version, 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common filaments with a circular cross-section. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with bushes, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated, sharp-edged line is ideal for overgrown weeds in a neglected area.
- Smoother lawn mowing is possible with a rectangular, starred or square line for grass trimmer, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a round section.
Types of line for grass trimmer
Note that you cannot use wire, metal cords and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly apart at high speed.
Block: 3/6 | characters: 2323
How the head with a fishing line works on a brushcutter why it is necessary to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are instructions on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without the spring, t.е. on the manually actuated head. The principle of dismounting a semiautomatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- There is a coil inside the head, which is mounted on slits preventing it from moving freely
- The coil is actuated by a spring, which presses it against the slits in the cover structure
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually it is between 1 and 4 meters long
- During work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the reel is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the splines. The line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing in length
- When the necessary amount of line has been released, release the hold-down, and continue mowing
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening as compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the trimmer line simply comes off, without negatively affecting the tool’s gearbox and engine, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, it is this point that most owners of special tools have difficulties with.
Block: 4/8 | characters Number of characters: 1782
How the line head works on the brushcutter, why it is necessary to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is the instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without the spring, t.е. on the hand-held head. The principle of dismounting a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer spool is as follows:
- There is a spool inside the head, which is seated on slits that prevent it from moving freely
- The spool is actuated by a spring, which presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A trimmer line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if the length of the line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the reel is pressed, so that it is disengaged from the slits. The trimmer line winds up from the reel, increasing in length
- After letting go of the necessary amount of line, release the hold-down, and continue mowing
The advantage of the tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, in comparison with metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mower or trimmer heads, it is necessary to move on to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, this is the moment that causes difficulties for the majority of special tool owners.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1782
Lawn trimmer line winding
The measured and careful removal of the bobbin from the grass trimmer spool allows you to proceed directly to winding the fishing line. Design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of operations in this operation, as well as determine the methods used. Today there are several varieties of spools, depending on the number of line tendrils and methods of its threading:
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and experts note the ease of operation and threading a reel with a single whisker. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of line to be threaded can range from 2 to 5 meters. In the head, the end of the line is inserted in a special technological groove or hole, and winding is done in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. On most spools on the outside of the body there are marks in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding you need to leave the free end 15-30 cm to increase the centrifugal force, which is the determining factor in the extraction of trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. thread the left end through the working hole in the reel and assemble the head.
Trimmer head with two spools
After removing the bobbin from the body of the spool, determine the number of thread winding spools (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between single-groove and double-groove spools, but there are operating problems with careless spooling into a twin-groove. Because of the possibility of intertwining of neighboring lines of the tool a situation may arise when, after the wear and tear of the working strands it is impossible to pull out new ones.
Regardless of the number of spools, trimmer line length of 1 or more is used for threading.5 to 3 meters. Winding must be done in the opposite direction of rotation of the trimmer head, because winding with the direction of rotation will not allow the trimmer line to be taken out of the bobbin. After a line for a trimmer is tucked into a grass trimmer reel we thread the free ends (15-30 cm) through the special holes. Then reassemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operation. Do not worry if the ends of the two tendrils differ greatly in size, because when starting the grass trimmer, the blade installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and secure the ends in the head and the winding operation is performed by the tool when it is put into startup mode. Incorrect winding of lines in a grass trimmer with this head is virtually impossible, since the spool independently determines the position of the tendrils. The advantage of the automatic grass trimmer head is the ease of line threading, but the disadvantages are the frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of design and high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
There may also be a punctured ignition coil in the electrical equipment. In this case, the lawnmower does not start or starts and works intermittently, and then shuts down, or on the “hot” does not start at all.
Check the coil can be checked in the same way as when checking the spark: unscrew the plug, lean it on the body trimmer for grass. If there is no spark when the starter jerk, or it appears intermittently. you need to change the coil.
If everything is all right with the electrics, check the carburettor.
Grass trimmers are equipped with vacuum carburetors. When disassembling it, cleaning or washing it, you must be extremely careful. in no case disassemble the lower part of the carburetor, where the primer is. The air filter (it is visible if you remove the protective cover from the carburetor) should be washed with detergents. Best to use a dishwasher. After the drying process, put it back. Flush the carburetor with clean gasoline and blow out all the holes with a pump. The gasoline line filter is also washed, then everything is dried and reassembled. Usually after all the manipulation the grass trimmer begins to work.
Thin rope instead of line. is it worth using it on a brushcutter??
The thought has crossed the mind of anyone who has ever had to mow 10 acres of overgrown grass. Seems like a good idea at first glance. The cable is stronger than the line, it does not wear out as much. But it is not that easy.
Cutter block attachment
The cutting block is the main component of the Philips styler. It has short and sharp edges and is used for quick and precise trimming of hair in length.
To remove the cutting unit from the body of the styler, check for the disconnect button on the body of the styler. If it is there, press the button to remove the cutting unit.
If the styler does not have a release button, place your finger under the teeth of the cutting unit and pull it out of the appliance. To reinstall, insert the lower part of the cutting unit into the styler body, then slide the part with the teeth in until it clicks into place. Do not use excessive force; this could damage the appliance.
If you can not install the cutting unit, check for foreign bodies in the body of the trimmer and try to clean it with a small brush or cotton swab.
No matter how well the electric grass trimmer we purchased worked on the dacha plot or a country house. sooner or later there will come a time when we need to remove the grass trimmer head for replacement or maintenance. I should say right away that in order to replace the fishing line trimmer head is not necessary to remove completely. Within this article, I’ll tell you how to remove or replace the entire mowing head using the BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer as an example.
Tips and advice on how to wind a trimmer line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations, which will be useful to know not only for beginners, but also for experienced masters. These tips help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and malfunctioning of the mechanism. These recommendations are as follows:
- Replace the cover until it clicks into place. It is 2 or more clicks, depending on the number of clips. If one latch does not click into place, the reel can jump out and injure a person when starting the tool
- Do not coil up the line for the trimmer with a strong pull on it, and in an amount greater than can be inserted in place. It is better not to wind the tool up than more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two line outputs, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle rim between the extreme bases of the spool
- After replacing the material you should first check the functionality of the tool, and only then start mowing. If not checked beforehand, the scaffolding can unravel and injure people
This is interesting!To reduce the risk of injury when working with petrol or lawn mowers, trimmers and brushcutters use only high-quality replacement material. In the process of mowing grass, small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances so, despite the fact that the line for the trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit. The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the usual enough to cover an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or blades are available for this purpose.