How to put the coil on the trimmer
How to remove the trimmer coil; Mowing head at trimmer
Before changing the line, separate the mowing head of the lawn mowers in which the line reel is located. This element is attached to the end of your trimmer stick and is removed by unscrewing it in the direction where the arrow on the spool points.
After removing the mowing head with the spool, it is necessary to open it. First of all, you need to find a latching mechanism on the coil. It is part of the spool and is like 2 clamps, by pressing which you can open the spool and get to the place where you want to wind the line.
Open the mowing head and take out the line reel
You can open the coil either with your hands or with a screwdriver or other tools with which you can pry the latching elements.
Changing the line to a disc or knife
When ennobling a personal plot, park areas and other places where it is required to mow various kinds of plants, it is often necessary to change the cutting tool in the trimmer.
But when a bush or young growth of trees appears in the path of an employee, the line cannot cope with such a task, and it needs to be changed to a more efficient cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen such situations, and supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of discs, similar to circular saws.
If you replace the fishing line with a knife with several “petals”, then this tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the fishing line to a disk, the lawn mower user has the opportunity to cut shrubs or small trees.
Knives and discs are installed according to the following algorithm.
- The first step is to remove, by locking the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the boot nut, if the unit has not yet been used.
- Position the saw or cutter blade so that it fits over the small protrusion (bushing).
- Install the attachment cover on top of the knife and screw the nut onto the shaft (counterclockwise).
- Tighten the nut (counterclockwise) using a pipe wrench.
For a better understanding of the process of changing tools, you can watch this video.
How to properly wind the line in the trimmer, and what to do if the line is quickly consumed, breaks off
The trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is distinguished by its simplicity in maintenance, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can handle it.
It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers.
Nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it must be replaced. In this article, we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
Types of finishing tabs
First of all, in order not to resort to frequent replacements, it is better to use a denser line. The number of its types and manufacturers is simply amazing. The main parameter of the trimmer line is its diameter. It ranges from 1.6 to 3.2 mm. The most common types are 2mm line. However, it should be selected depending on the type of trimmer you have.
How to Load Line Into the Trimmer Reel
How to fill the line in the trimmer spool and which is best for this use?
Very often, those people who personally own cottages, gardens, are faced with the need to take care of the lawn on this site. In such cases, you simply cannot do without a conventional braid or trimmer.
The former is slowly disappearing into the background and the people who use it are getting smaller. The trimmer works automatically and does not require much effort.
over, there is no special skill to use it.
Some spools provide a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
Trimmer Repair. Replacing the Ignition Coil (Ryobi Part # 850080001)
- Before changing or loading a new thread into the spool, determine how many meters it will take using the method described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the bobbin for the line to be fixed, and insert the looped end of the thread into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level not exceeding the spool diameter.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the head is no different from the method that was given when threading the bobbin with a half-folded piece of fishing line was considered.
For Shtil lawn mowers, there is a very simple and quick way to replace the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can familiarize yourself with by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length when the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- turning on the trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut against the knife fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if it was necessary to supply a large diameter cord, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been charged into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment.
However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head, when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen.
In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on an electrical device, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force, if you set the maximum spindle speed.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared segment of six meters in length is required to be bent exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The hook is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. You do not need to wind the thread to the very tip. about fifteen centimeters should remain free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small recesses (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these grooves.
- The top of the coil is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And for this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment was inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coils are exactly the same as described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the trimmer spool changes. There is nothing complicated in the process. And already after several refuelings, all actions will come to automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different videos showing how to wind the line on the trimmer reel.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and neat dismantling of the spool from the spool of the braid makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the line.
The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used.
Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line antennae;
- Auto winding reel.
Automatic line winding on a spool
There is a type of reel in which the automatic mechanism winds on its own. from the user it is enough only to correctly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through a hole on the inner part of the body, its antennae without winding are passed through the hole on the outer body, the reel is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the fishing line inside is wound independently. In such a spool, it is impossible to make the winding wrong: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only turn in one direction.
Private home owners know how essential a trimmer tool is. It can be gasoline and electric, and they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during use, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the trimmer spool before threading it into the trimmer spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand.
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew it, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can start dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but by slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- It is recommended to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable made of nylon that serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2 to 2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3. 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and reload the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
How to put a line on a trimmer
The warranty production of the factory trimmer refueling will inevitably require line replacement. Having a very rough idea of how to thread the line into the trimmer reel on their own, beginners are reluctant to take up this business. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the similar instruction presented below will make this process as easy as possible.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line antennae;
- Auto winding reel.
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Coil with two working tendrils
In this type of spool, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the spool:
- one groove. both antennae are wound together in one groove;
- two grooves. each antenna is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.In single-groove reels, the line is pulled into a through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the rod side. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct direction of winding. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through them or held with the fingers of the free hand, they are threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference between the line winding in two-groove spools is that initially a 2-5 m long line segment is folded in half (to determine the middle bend), and the bend loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each along its own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the above option with one groove.
The first execution of this procedure, perhaps, will seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show how to thread the line into the trimmer spool and wind it correctly. this operation is not difficult and with some patience it will certainly be crowned with success:
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small electric bottom motor trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (on such trimmers it is not yet possible to put a knife), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-handed) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
How to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the spool (bobbin) of the trimmer. It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer. this will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound in order to expose it outside. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both tendrils are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the bend into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the “wrong” direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the fishing line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!