How to reel lawn mowers
How the trimmer works?
The principle of operation of such a device is that the grass is cut by a special fishing line installed on a fast-rotating head. The number of revolutions per minute can reach 8000. In a short time, the line becomes unusable, more precisely, it is erased. Then summer residents have a question: “How to fill the line in the trimmer coil”?
How to thread the line into the trimmer spool and which one is better to use for this?
Very often, those people who personally own dachas and vegetable gardens are faced with the need to care for the lawn on the site. In such cases, you simply cannot do without the usual manual braid or trimmer. The first is slowly fading into the background, and the number of people who use it is getting smaller and smaller. The trimmer works automatically and does not require a lot of effort. over, you do not need to have a special skill to use it.
Types of trimmer lines
First of all, in order not to resort to frequent replacements, it is better to use a denser line. The number of its types and manufacturing firms is simply amazing. The main parameter of the trimmer line is its diameter. It varies from 1.6 to 3.2 mm. The most common type is 2mm line. However, its selection must be made depending on the type of trimmer you have.
Scotts Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower, Organic Lawncare
There are several options for the section of the line. So, it can be round, square, in the form of an asterisk with sharp edges. The last option is the most effective. However, it should be used only on powerful braids and at the same time you need to know how to thread the line into the trimmer spool. Therefore, we can conclude that the more powerful your lawn mower, the thicker the line should be.
A process such as winding a fishing line on a trimmer is not difficult, but it has its own characteristics. First, you need to choose the right fishing line, the diameter of which is prescribed in the device’s passport.
First, unscrew the spool cap. Be careful, as the thread can be left or right. The left-hand thread is necessary so that the head of the scythe does not unwind during operation.
Threading the line into the trimmer
Before threading the line into the trimmer spool, measure 5 m from the skein (this is the average amount of line installed on trimmers). Then fold it in half to find the middle. The resulting center must be inserted into a special slot located on the spool. After that, wind the line in the direction of the arrow on the head.
From the above it follows that the process of replacing the fishing line itself is not difficult. Having carried out such a manipulation as winding a fishing line on a trimmer reel several times, you will bring this process to automaticity. The only thing is that you need to constantly monitor the condition of the fishing line in order to avoid breaking it at the time of work on the site, when a spare coil may not be at hand.
Now you know how to thread the line into the trimmer spool, and you can do it yourself without much effort.!
Removing the spool from the trimmer
Now we will consider the issue of removing the hairpin from different types of trimmer:
- The bottom motor powered conveyor has two buttons on the sides. With one press of two buttons, you will need to detach one part of the gas station from the other. Simultaneously with the first half, remove the inner part, on which the core is wound.
Important! When doing the described manipulations, you need to be extremely careful so that the inner spring does not accidentally fly out and rub. This little detail is a very important “link” to help you pull the line onto the roller.
- The body of an electric and gasoline conveyor with a bent metal bar should be wrapped around with one hand, and with the other, the electronic wing should be moved counterclockwise. This small piece connects the reel to the trimmer bar. After removing the lamb, it is necessary to remove the entire coil, while holding the inner spring with your fingers.
- For an electric and ashless conveyor with a straight bar, you need to find a recess under the bobbin, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, and slowly rotate it until the tool goes deeply and the roller is completely fixed. Next, turn the coil slowly clockwise (due to the left-hand thread) and remove it from the conveyor. Then you will need to disassemble the bobbin, assembled by snaps or twisted into a lamb. If you have a snap-on roller, then you need to push the latch on the sides to release the two parts of the part. After that, you should unscrew the lamb.
How to choose a fishing line?
For each trimmer power, the developers accurately calculate the nylon thread diameter and the number of blades for the corresponding knife. Otherwise, the motor of the power tool will be severely overloaded, which will lead to its breakdown. Unknowingly, an overpayment for consumables will be provided to you. That is why the choice of line for your trimmer must be treated responsibly in order to keep costs to a minimum.
At the very beginning, you need to purchase the appropriate line. It is sold in skeins up to 120 meters long, and its diameter will be indicated in the detailed instructions for your trimmer.
Here’s what to look for when choosing a line and trimming it:
- Most often, a 2 mm conductor is used for cutting grass with a trimmer. For mowing soft and young grass, it is enough to take a thin line, the diameter of which is 1.5–1.8 mm. But on more powerful lawn mowers you need to reel thicker fishing line.
- Do not forget to pay attention to the structure of the vein. For example, round cord is considered the most durable and copes well even with the toughest weeds. But the vein of a curly configuration is more suitable for young or twisted grass. A thread with notches along its entire length can only work with thin stems.
- The minimum length for one threading of nylon thread into the mower spool is 2-4 meters, depending on its diameter and the manufacturer’s recommendations. For example, if you wind too much line on the bobbin, then its movement will be difficult, and in the process of mowing the grass, you will notice new ends of excess material.
- It is advisable to buy only approved companies. which are listed in the recommendations of your mowing appliance. It must be made of high quality material and have good durability. it is good to “mow” the lawn and not wear out very quickly.
In order to increase the elasticity and strength of the cord, place the purchased thread in water for 30 minutes. Thanks to such actions, it will be difficult for you to break even the thinnest core.
How to tuck line into the trimmer reel. lawn mowers?
What is a trimmer?
So let’s take a look at the trimmer varieties. They are of two types:
- Electric powered.
- Gas tank fed.
Reel Mowing Tall Grass?
Fishing line or knife. perform a cutting function in this device. In turn, the nylon thread can be as follows:
- Ordinary thread.
- With four or five faces.
- Intertwined (looks like a pigtail).
But a knife in a lawn mower can be:
According to the material of manufacture, knives are divided into:
Line feed from a reel is:
- Manual type.
- With automatic feeding.
Important! The ranking of the most bought electric lawn mowers is as follows:
- Iron angel.
- What is a trimmer?
- How to choose a fishing line?
- Removing the spool from the trimmer
- How to wind the line on the reel of a lawn mower?
Modern power tools help to facilitate human labor several times. So, for example, thanks to the trimmer, you do not have to mow the grass by hand, and the lawn will quickly and effortlessly become well-groomed and beautiful. For some people, a trimmer can help turn tough physical work into real fun. But what to do when the main cutting material runs out? Agree, not every person will immediately understand how to properly thread the line onto the reel of a lawn mower. For each type of coil, a corresponding nylon thread is needed and the replacement rules are completely different. Today we will consider all these issues in more detail.
How to wind the line on the reel of a lawn mower?
Steps for a roller with one tendril:
- To begin with, we unwind from 2 to 4 meters of nylon thread. Its length depends on the size of your coil.
- We find a hole on the inside of the roller. which fixes the vein. We insert one end of the nylon thread into it and begin to carefully wind it in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the device. Sometimes an arrow is drawn on the inside of the spool indicating the direction of winding the line.
- After part of the core is already on the coil, we leave the rest of it (5-10 cm) free to expose it outside.
- We fix the tip of the core in a special groove (groove). You will find it on the inside of the coil. If you do not have such a groove that holds the cord, then you need to hold the line with your finger.
- Now we take the outer part of the coil. we slowly pass a segment of the “hanging” core into the existing hole. The nylon thread is now wound on the bobbin.
- We put the roller on the conveyor.
Steps for a roller with two antennae:
- We look at the inside of the bobbin. determining the number of grooves for the core. The coil can have either one groove or two. Two antennae are wound along one hole at the same time. And a tendril is wound on a bobbin with two holes, which must travel along a separate groove. The roller with one groove has one through groove, along which the line slides.
- We unwind 4 meters of a new nylon thread. we pass it through a double hole so that the line segments from each part are the same.
- Now we wind the two ends of the core in a single direction, which should coincide with the direction of the pointer drawn inside the coil (arrows).
- We leave a small part of the core for stock. We fix its ends in the grooves.
- Slide the 2 ends of the cord into the groove on the outside of the roller.
- We collect all the components of the roller and attach it to the trimmer bar.
Important! If the conveyor has two grooves, then you need to fold the section of the core in half, and insert the loop obtained at the bend into the groove that is located between the two grooves. After that, both cuts of the line should be wound at the same time, each in its own “way”. All further actions should be done in the same way as the above instructions.
Actions for a roller with a core threaded through a double-sided hole located on the inside:
- We thread the ends of the new nylon thread through the hole on the outside of the roller without winding.
- We collect the reel and press the button for further release of the core as it gradually wears out. When you rotate this button, the line itself winds inside the bobbin.
Important! If you do such winding often, then you can wind the nylon thread without disassembling the drum. To do this, you just need to combine the double-sided groove of the inner part with the grooves of the inner roller body, and then thread the same fishing line through them.
As you can see, it is quite possible to wind the core on the trimmer coil yourself. The winding technique depends on the type of your lawn mower and on the design of the reel itself. Below we offer you a video that will help you better understand the whole process and perform high-quality line refueling in your device.
How to tuck line into the trimmer: a few simple tips
How to quickly and correctly tuck the line into the trimmer?
Once you figure out how to change the cutting material, further use and maintenance of the trimmer will be greatly simplified. To wind the trimmer line, several operations should be performed, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right. You will have a head in your hands with the remnants of an old thread. Open it with a screwdriver, or wring out the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. This operation should be carried out carefully, since there is a spring inside, which, straightening, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the rest of the material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. There is a hole in the middle of the spool where you need to insert the material. There is also an arrow indicating the direction to reel in the trimmer line. It is important to consider some points. If the spool has two holes, then half of the trimmer line should be tucked in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. When finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Assemble the drum, reinstall the spring and washers. Then, while holding the spool, thread the ends of the line into the holes on the sides of the nozzle. Then put the head back in place, tightening the cutting material.
How to tuck the line into the trimmer?
In order for the area near the house to always look well-groomed and neat, it must be cut regularly. Fortunately, modern technology allows you to solve this problem without excessive physical effort. Electric trimmers are so easy to operate and maintain that even a teenager can use them to mow. The main thing is to figure out in advance how to fill the line in the trimmer.
How to load the line into the trimmer?
So, our task is to properly load the line into the trimmer. Let’s take a closer look at where to start its implementation and what pitfalls can await us in the process.
Step 1. choosing the line
Step 2. remove the coil from the trimmer
To perform this operation, the trimmer must be disconnected from the mains and turned over with the working head up. The further course of action depends on the trimmer model and the design of the coil itself:
- for small trimmers with a lower engine position, press on the keys on the sides of the coil and remove its upper part from the head;
- on trimmers with a curved bar, we clamp the coil body with one hand, while simultaneously turning the winglet located on the body counterclockwise;
- for trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox, insert a screwdriver into the hole located under the coil, and then turn the coil body counterclockwise.
Step 3. disassemble the coil
After the coil is removed from the head, it must be carefully disassembled. It is better to do this on an already mown area, since there may be a spring inside the coil, which will be quite difficult to find in tall grass. After disassembly, we will have three parts on our hands: the body (top cover), the protective casing and the coil itself.
Step 4. measure the required amount of fishing line
Newbie mowers are usually interested in how many meters of line to wind on the trimmer reel? There are two ways to solve this issue:
- Unwind a skein of line on a flat, dry place and separate half of it.
- Measure 3-4 meters of line from the skein.
In any case, after the end of winding, the turns of the line should be on the body of the reel, without sliding off it. You do not need to try to wind as much as possible, as the line will unwind poorly and tear more often.
Step 5. winding the line onto the reel
How to attach the line to the trimmer depends on the coil design. Consider the option when the reel body has one outlet for the line. In this case, the end of the line is clamped in the crevice of the coil, and then we wind the line, trying to lay the turns as tightly as possible. The direction of laying the turns should be opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil and is usually indicated on its inner part. After the end of winding on the reel, you must put on a protective casing and bring the end of the line into it.
If the reel is designed to work with two tails, then the line must be folded in half and laid in the groove in the center of the reel. Further winding will be carried out along one or two slots, depending on the coil design. The direction of winding must also be opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil. At the end of the ponytail, the line will also need to be led out into the holes on the top of the reel.
How to change the line on the trimmer
Below we have provided step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer thread.
The first thing to do is to unplug the tool and turn off the engine. Then you need to remove the trimmer head. This can be done using a simple screwdriver and dropping it into the hole of the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew
They are usually unscrewed in a clockwise direction, but different models have different mechanisms, so it may have to be turned in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason, you cannot figure it out, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it.
Second. After removing the mowing head, open it. This can be done by means of clamps that are located opposite each other. By pressing on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out the spool on which the line is wound. By pulling it out, you can determine what type it belongs to. There are bobbins one-piece and two-piece
We analyze how to thread the line into the trimmer spool in two versions
So, there is only one option. we load the line into a single-section reel. The prepared piece of thread is folded in half and pushed into the spool. Then, we begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by the arrow on the spool. At the end of winding, do not forget to make sure that different ends of the thread are looking in different directions.
Option two. winding the line with a two-piece reel. The pre-prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends must be fixed: this must be done by placing them in special fasteners
Winding is carried out, as in the first case, along the arrow indicated on the spool. Both segments should be wound so that they do not cross. Further, the ends of the thread should be fixed in the grooves and divorced on opposite sides.
The spring is then inserted into the reel and the whole thing is placed in the mowing head. When placing the spool in the trimmer, you need to gently hold the spring parallel while inserting the line into the slots on the mower head. And in the end, it just needs to be secured with the final part, that is, with a lid.
After threading the trimmer, you need to check it. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you make a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, or even better, if you watch the video on how to install a line on a reel in a trimmer.
How to remove the line from the trimmer spool
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to pull out the remnants of the old line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instructions plus a video on how to pull the thread from the trimmer spool, which you can find on the net, will help in solving this issue.
It is necessary to disassemble the mowing head
Remove the cover using the clips
We clean the remnants of cutting material
Hard ? Of course not. But if, nevertheless, doubts creep into you that for some reason you cannot do this, then of course find and watch the video how to pull out or how to wind the thread on the reel of lawn mowers.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
05 July 2018
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house that needs to be constantly trimmed. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, it will become necessary to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How can this be done? To replace the main cutting element, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the instruction manual for lawn mowers should indicate the diameter of the thread to be used in it.
When you have acquired the required cutting element, try to install it correctly. It should be noted that there are a huge number of videos on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly thread the line into the trimmer coil.
How to replace the line on an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, be it electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a gas streamer, you get more freedom, since you are not limited by the cable that is present on the electric streamer.
Yes, do not hesitate to use the special videos on installing or threading the line in an electric scooter, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.
If the line breaks frequently, this may be due to the following reasons:
- stones, small branches and other solid obstacles come across in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, then it breaks off the “antennae” even faster;
- poor quality of the cord (it is recommended to purchase a quality one);
- the outlet holes in the mowing head are worn out, due to which the line is erased on the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks off (a complete replacement of the part is required).
High cord consumption
Basically, the cord runs out quickly if you hit the ground frequently with the semi-automatic head or push it down hard. The spool is unlocked, and the line, lengthening, is cut with a knife. Another reason that the cord runs out quickly is improper operation of the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine speed when mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed in such a way that it is with each decrease in speed that a new portion of the line is supplied, so it is quickly consumed.
Changing the line to a disc or knife
When ennobling a personal plot, park areas and other places where it is required to mow various kinds of plants, it is often necessary to change the cutting tool in the trimmer. This is due to the fact that the standard cord installed in the mowing head can only handle grass. But when a bush or young growth of trees appears in the path of an employee, the line cannot cope with such a task, and it needs to be changed to a more efficient cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen such situations, and supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of discs, similar to circular saws.
If you replace the fishing line with a knife with several “petals”, then this tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the fishing line to a disk, the lawn mower user has the opportunity to cut down shrubs or small trees.
Knives and discs are installed according to the following algorithm.
- The first step is to remove, locking the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the boot nut, if the unit has not yet been used.
- Position the saw or cutter blade so that it fits over the small protrusion (bushing).
For a better understanding of the process of changing tools, you can watch this video.
What can be used instead of fishing line
Many trimmer users are wondering: what can replace the default cord used in this kind of machines? Begin unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wires, metal ropes or strings, and regular fishing line in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, the trimmer turns into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the unit, the steel cable will gradually be triggered, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
A similar thing happens when using steel or copper wire, with the only difference that the pieces that have come off will be larger and can cause significant injury.
And if you accidentally hook your or someone else’s foot while working with a steel cable (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and in some cases amputation of toes, is guaranteed. It is not in vain that the manufacturer uses nylon for these purposes, since it is quite light and durable, and when it comes off it does not fly far and cannot cause injury.
Of course, you can use a fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard line, but this will add extra trouble to you, since it wears out quickly, breaks, mows slowly and is not suitable for cutting tough grass. In addition, during work, a lot of time is wasted to replace a broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of a regular line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if he is from the netting. In this case, in order to protect the standard and sometimes expensive line from wear and tear, it is changed to fishing line, which is not a pity. Usually, in order to change the line to line, it must be selected with the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
The line is flying out
The reason that the cord unwinds after starting the unit can also be a weakening of the spring inside the head. In addition, there are times when the mowing head flies apart when the machine is turned on, and the spring installed in it is lost. Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. Therefore, the cord does not hold, and under the influence of centrifugal force flies out.
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line is required for a particular reel, it is necessary to wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line sticks out over the edges of the spool, you will not be able to insert it into the casing. After you have decided on the length of the material, it must be threaded into the bobbin, so do the following.
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- Please note that the bobbin is divided into 2 parts by the central collar, from which charging begins. Find a groove on it and insert a cord bent in half into it, applying a little force.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line is wound onto the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. In such a situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done carefully, turn by turn, with maximum thread tension.
- After the laying of the cord is completed, you will first need to fix the short end of the line by inserting it into a groove of a suitable diameter on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the one that is longer, is fastened in a groove on the opposite side of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the loaded bobbin into the mowing head. To do this, alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the outlet holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
Trimmer users, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have problems with the cord. “Advanced” mower owners can easily cope with the difficulties that have arisen, understanding why this is happening, and for beginners it is a problem that has no rational explanation. But in fact, everything is solved quite simply. The most common problems that happen with the line are as follows.
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press on the latches (latches) located on both sides.
- Removing the cover reveals a spool that needs to be removed from the case. Some spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- When you remove the bobbin, you will see a slotted screw for a Phillips or flathead screwdriver in the center of the case. It is possible that there may be a hex bolt or an “asterisk” bit.
- Using a screwdriver, selecting the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
How to Wrap the Line on a Trimmer Spool Correctly. Step-by-Step Guide VIDEO
Preparation. remove and disassemble the spool
On most electric and petrol trims, you will need to remove the spool to replace the line. The FUBAG tool lets you skip this step. To make the instruction universal, we will still consider it in detail:
Secure the shaft. Insert the locking element into the corresponding hole. It can be a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example. strictly in the clockwise direction.
Unscrew the cover according to the direction indicated on the body.
Remove the coil for winding.
The preparatory stage has been passed. You can proceed to winding the fishing line.
Insert the resulting loop into the groove.
Lay the line in the direction indicated on the element body.
Insert the short end into the slot on the side of the spool.
Secure the long end in the opposite groove.
Place the spool of coiled line into the spool body.
Pull the line out of the locking grooves.
Put on the cover and fix.
Trim the ends of the line, leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
The replacement of the line is completed and now it remains only to screw the bobbin onto the trimmer and you can work.
How to choose a fishing line. length, diameter, restrictions
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. This replacement is ineffective and dangerous. The rope can injure not only the mower himself, but also those around him.
As for the length, you should rely on the estimated frequency of use of the trimmer. The more often, the more it costs to stock up expenses.
Information about the possible line diameter can be found on the body trimmer spools. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. The thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the characteristics of the cultivated area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
ATTENTION! Typical line problems
No wonder they say: “Forewarned is forearmed“. Knowing about possible problems and the causes of their occurrence, you can prevent them in time. We recommend to remember or leave a memo.
|Line break||Stones, branches and solid objects in the grass||Avoid collision|
|Poor cord quality||Replace with a quality analogue|
|Head outlet wear||Complete replacement of part required|
|The line is unwound||The spring in the coil is weakened||Check spring and replace if damaged|
|The line is sticking||Poor line quality, due to which it can melt under the influence of temperature from the heating head||Reel in less line or replace with a better line|
For a better understanding of the mechanism of the process of changing the line in the spool with a video guide prepared by FUBAG specialists:
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the trimmer spool before inserting it into the trimmer spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be dismantled with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can start dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the trimmer reel and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the reel about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. Let’s consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the splines in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this very moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Method 1. how to properly wind the line or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out the amount of line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the rig inside the coil until it is aligned with the side protrusions. In this case, the rigging should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the equipment into the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, a piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in a reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, take the second end from the other side, and fold it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil, into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we find out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. The direction of winding should be indicated on it (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
- This arrow-shaped pointer can also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the reel, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the pickup, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then do the same procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and, by pulling the ends of the line, we disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
- This completes the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the assembled drum on the tool
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is also a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference, and how is the second method of threading the line on the reel of lawn mowers carried out, we will find out in detail.
Learning to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel and lawn mowers installation instructions
Owners of private houses know how necessary this type of tool is, such as a trimmer. It can be gasoline and electric, but they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during use, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
Method 2. how to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into a lawn mower’s line is the same as with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The brace of the fishing line should be hooked on the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the reel, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable that is made of nylon and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has different thicknesses, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3. 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and recharge the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.