How to Remove a Circle from an Angle Grinder
Angle grinder (popular name. "angle grinder"), the most common tool of home craftsmen after an electric drill.
Despite the ease of use, “amateurs” often have questions about tool maintenance, especially in the event of emergency situations. As a rule, breakdowns occur due to improper use of the tool.
Main applications of angle grinder
- Cleaning surfaces, peeling old paint. It is carried out by brushes with steel bars or petals of sandpaper. No difficulties in work, except that the sandpaper brushes require compliance with the direction of rotation.
- Sanding with sandpaper. A concentric nozzle with Velcro is screwed onto the angle grinder, on which the abrasive is in turn attached. Before use, the direction of the threaded fastening and the rotation of the tool shaft are checked.
- Grinding with abrasive wheels. These nozzles require careful handling, since under high load, the abrasive may break. It is impossible to cut off material with such disks; shock loads are unacceptable.
- Cutting of metals, stone, gating concrete. Performed by cutting discs.
It is with such nozzles that emergency situations most often occur.
At the cutting wheels dwell more
The question of which side to put the disc on the angle grinder does not have the correct answer. Abrasive wheels do not have a programmed rotation direction, so it doesn’t matter how you install it. The direction, rotation (away from yourself or towards yourself), is determined by the position of the protective casing. The choice depends on the position of the tool convenient for the operator. In addition, the direction of flow of sparks (or stone dust) depends on the position of the casing.
For mounting the disc on the shaft, a collapsible flange is included. The lower part is rigidly fixed with chamfers, the upper part is a regular self-tightening nut. It is she who determines which way the disk should rotate to the angle grinder. During operation, the threaded connection is tightened, preventing the nozzle from coming off. Sometimes washers are included in the kit for damping transverse vibrations. They can be made independently from a dense electrocardboard or paronite. To fix the flange, a special open-end wrench is attached to the tool. The shaft is secured by a clamping button to create the necessary force when tightening.
Видео: How to Remove a Circle from an Angle Grinder
Ignorance of a simple question: how to properly install the disk, for inexperienced users can lead to damage to equipment or personal injury. First of all, when changing the disc, it is necessary to clean the shaft and the inner surface of the protective casing with a steel brush.
A layer of metal particles is riveted onto these elements (when cutting the material). Thickness can reach several millimeters, as a result of which the disc loses its alignment or jam.
Large nozzles do not just overload the electric motor. Installation requires removal of the protective cover. If the angle grinder disintegrates and the guard is not installed, fragments can seriously injure the operator.
Another debatable question is whether it is possible to put a disk on a tree on an angle grinder. If you hold the tool with your hands, an unequivocal answer is impossible. The circular can easily jam in the fibrous structure of the tree. An instrument escaped from the hands will cause many troubles, including fatal injuries.
What to do if you have lost the open-end wrench?
precisely, how to unscrew the disk on the angle grinder without a key? There are three ways:
- Make a bracket from a rod of suitable diameter (a nail will do). With this device, the flange can be loosened by hand. If the tightening is too strong, insert the lever into the bracket.
- Use the gas key. Grasping the outer radius of the threaded flange, it is enough to drop the nut, and then it will unscrew by hand.
- Touch the thread with exact tangent strokes. To do this, you can take a core or punch, install it in the hole for an open-end wrench, and with light hammer blows, turn the flange.
All manipulations to change the nozzle are carried out after disconnecting the power cord.
Remove a split disk
There are times when the cutting wheel is jammed during operation. Not only have you lost the nozzle, in such a situation the flange (its threaded part) is clamped with repeated force. How to remove a disk from an angle grinder in such a situation?
First of all, the tool should be securely fastened. Use clamps and a solid workbench. Then you need to lock the shaft lock key. If the efforts of the hands are insufficient, extend the handle of the open-end wrench: for example, with a piece of steel pipe.
There are times when the flange is jammed “tightly”. Then there is a chance of damage to the lock key. To save the tool, you should disassemble the gearbox, and clamp the output shaft in a vice.
After that, we continue disassembling the above methods: reinforced horn or gas key. The disadvantage of this method is that you can damage the shaft, notches will remain on it.
If the shaft is completely removed from the gearbox, it is possible to fix the chamfers of the lower part of the flange using a traditional key. Then the risk of damage is minimal. With any method, it is recommended to use penetrating lubricant: WD-40 or ordinary kerosene. After several minutes after application, you will significantly reduce the effort.
Any problem is easier to prevent than deal with the consequences. Observing the rules of operation and the tool, you minimize the possibility of emergency situations.