How to remove a coil from a champion trimmer
Storage space for spare coil
It is very simple to install such a fishing line into the reel. according to the internal scheme inside the reel. We insert the center of the line with a metal mount in the upper part of the reel, and draw the ends of the line along the grooves and bring it out.
In addition to the standard lawn line, my trimmer also has a thick line for cutting rough weeds. It has the shape of a pigtail, i.e. three lines are tightly intertwined. This line has its own spool.
It is stored at the top of the trimmer body.
Trimming the line into the trimmer.
I want to devote today’s article to the sore subject of summer residents and gardeners of the entire post-Soviet space “How to fill the line in the trimmer.” Not many trimmer manufacturers answer this question in their instruction manuals. Therefore, it is also difficult for simple gardeners to figure out how to do it correctly.
Champion Help Center: Ignition Coil Replacement
I want to start with a brief description of the technical characteristics of the trimmers.
So, trimmers are electric and gasoline. The cutting element for trimmers can be a line and a knife. The fishing line is ordinary, four. pentahedral and intertwined (in the form of a pigtail). Knives come in 2, 3 and 4 bladed knives. Knives also come in plastic and metal.
The line feed system from the trimmer is manual, semi-automatic and automatic.
Development engineers who create new models of trimmers accurately calculate the diameter (thickness) of the line and the number of knife blades, according to the power of the trimmers. Otherwise, the engine is overloaded, resulting in damage to the engine. And these are additional and significant costs.
Trimmers on the market today:
With one nozzle. only a line.
With two nozzles. a fishing line and a three-four-blade knife.
With one attachment. only three to four blades.
Our Kulibins have long ago learned to improve any mechanisms. So, for example, some gardeners make successful, in their opinion, replacement of fishing line with a metal cable, or fishing line. But at the same time, they do not think about the safety of their own and their loved ones, because, like a cable with the power of a working trimmer, it can easily break out and not only injure the mower and others, but leave him crippled for life. The use of a fishing line can and gives a better effect, I have never personally tried it than a trimmer line, but this work has a number of inconveniences: when it comes into contact with hard objects, it loosens or it can simply be pulled out of the reel indefinitely.
So, what is called closer to the topic. Here is an example of how to thread the line into the trimmer (Trimmer BOSCH Art 30). Everything is very simple. Started.
After you have chosen the line for refueling, you need to cut off the required amount of line, because all the line in a skein will not wind up in a reel.
Cut off and start reeling.
Remove the coil and the protective cover from the coil.
They took it off. We fix one end of the line in the gap and carefully and evenly wind the line.
The amount of line should be such that the protective cover of the reel closes and the line on the reel unwinds a little.
We put the other end of the line into the hole on the protective casing.
Next, we take the coil and the protective cover of the coil. We squirt the end of the line from the reel into the metal hole on the protective cover of the reel. Tighten the line a little.
We put it all on the trimmer. Turn the coil clockwise until it clicks.
They fixed it. Now we connect the trimmer to the network. We put the trimmer in the starting position for work. We turn on the trimmer. Excess line length will be cut on the trimming blade.
Coil in trimmer
That’s all we start working.
Heavy-duty line in a reel
Such a reel is attached to the trimmer in the same way as a reel with an ordinary line.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable that is made of nylon and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has different thicknesses, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3. 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and recharge the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
Trimmer head with two antennae
Head with two flutes
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the fishing line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems. Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
For the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher grass it can cut. Often a universal line is used, the diameter of which is 2 mm. You can choose a diameter suitable for the mower in the following ways:
- Refer to the instructions that came with the trimmer for line thickness information.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes information about the possible diameters of the fishing line is applied on it.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the exit hole. If it easily goes through it, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
You can choose a cord thread according to the type of engine. If the line is too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. in this case, the engine will overheat and will soon fail. Helpful hints:
- For an electrical device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thread is suitable. If one is not found, then you can use a 1.6 mm line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then select a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a petrol trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the folded version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, use a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of section of the cord thread. Some popular options:
- The most common round lines. They mow fresh grasses well, but they cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but is good for thin young grass.
- Serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow your lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square trimmer lines, but they are not very strong.
- Strongest. two-piece inner-core round cord.
Types of trimmer line
Please note that you cannot use wire, metal strings and cables, as well as ordinary fishing thread instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the cable or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will scatter at high speed.
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the splines in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this very moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Ignition Coil Primary & Secondary Resistance Testing
Method 2. how to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with photo description and video
string trimmer weed eater coil test & replace
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The brace of the fishing line should be hooked on the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the reel, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
Many owners and experts note the ease of use and ease of refueling the single-whisker bobbin. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the threaded line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and the winding is carried out in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most reels have arrow marks on the outside of the body that indicate the direction of travel of the trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to increase the centrifugal force, which is decisive when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We pass the left end through the working hole of the coil and assemble the head.
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using the wrong thread can damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the machine’s motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
We carry out the winding of the fishing line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Preparing for replacement
We disassemble the trimmer spool
For clarity, the mowing head (spool) was removed from the lawn mower. To replace the fishing line, you do not need to remove it, everything is done locally. It doesn’t take long.
We disassemble the trimmer spool. it rests on the latches. Remove the cover by pressing on the latches. If you do not have enough effort to do this with your hands, then use a screwdriver.
The spool consists of the following:
- Spring case
- Cover with locking latches
- Button coil
The principle of operation is as follows. By pressing the button, the spool presses on the spring and comes out of the locking grooves in the spool cap. Holding in this state, the reel can be twisted, thereby adjusting the length of the line. When the button is released, the body spring returns the coil to its original fixed state.
Coil with one working tendril
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the reel and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2. 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the opposite direction of the spool rotation on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inside of the reel, an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of the line is left free to bring it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna (Husqvarna) lawn mower.
This type of head is present on most lawn mowers and trimmers such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feed;
- bobbin (spool) into which the line is tucked;
- eyes. through them the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
DIY trimmer coil repair: how to remove, disassemble, change the line, assemble and install back
- metal perforated plate (100 mm x 240 mm)
- 2 hacksaw blades for metal
- 4 screws and 4 nuts M5
- 4 washers and 4 oversized washers
From point of view
, hacksaw blades should not be completely hardened.
Everything you need to make a nozzle
The most difficult thing in making a nozzle is to symmetrically mark and make holes for the knives and the trimmer shaft. That is why a finished perforated plate is chosen.
First you need to make the base of the nozzle. For this from a metal plate
cut out a square with a side of 100 mm. You need to mark it in such a way that there is a hole exactly in the center (at the intersection of the diagonals). To do this, measure a distance of 50 mm from the center of the selected hole perpendicular to the short side of the plate and outline the cutting line for cutting.
Cut off the excess and get a square of 100 mm x 100 mm. Now you need to round off the corners a little and drill out the central hole for the trimmer shaft.
Round off the corners and drill the center hole for the trimmer shaft
We cut the canvases for metal, measuring 8 cm from each end.We get 4 blanks with ready-made holes.
We cut canvases for metal
These blanks need to be shaped like knives. To do this, we outline the cut line by eye (special accuracy is not required), fasten all 4 blanks together and grind off the excess.
Cut out knives from blanks
As a result, we get knives of the same weight and size, they can be sharpened a little on one side. Now all parts of the homemade trimmer attachment are prepared, you can start assembling.
Everything is ready for assembly
Put a small washer on the screw and insert it into the corner hole. We put on the knife from above, placing the sharpened side in the direction of rotation of the trimmer shaft. This is followed by a large washer and a nut that is not tightened so that the knife rotates freely. We attach the other 3 knives in the same way.
Fixing the knives
The end of the screw must be riveted so that the nut does not fly off.
The end of the screw must be riveted
The attachment is ready. It is installed with nuts to the ground and fixed in the same way as the three-blade knife that comes with the trimmer. When colliding with a stone, the knives fold and go inside a little.
This idea was suggested by our regular video author Tatiana (Tula region). You can see in more detail the whole process of making such a trimmer attachment and find out some of the nuances by watching the video that she prepared.
When working with a trimmer, it is important not to forget about safety, using any attachments, especially homemade ones.
We offer you to familiarize yourself with Dried flowers: names and photos, descriptions of species and varieties
We suggest discussing this idea in the comments to the publication. Share your thoughts with us, and also tell us about your good solutions.
How to remove the spool and replace the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, find themselves in confusion, bordering on panic, when they need to change the cutting tool or line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Stop the mowers engine or power off the trimmer before placing the line into the spool to avoid injury from accidental starting rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the attachment attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
Cut off the required amount of line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the same diameter as indicated in the instructions for the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum line diameter as this will result in increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
Assemble the mowing head. Be sure to insert the spring and washer (if equipped) before final assembly of the accessory. Place the spool in the body and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or lugs.
Put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Screw the adapter back onto the gearbox shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. You will need to twist the trimmer coil to the left (counter-clockwise).