How to Remove a Coil From a Trimmer
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool in trimmers, metal knives or a special fishing line are used, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be fixed with your own hands, while some will require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs. both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in most trimmers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- a bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- eyes. through them the fishing line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these nozzles do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In case of breakage of the cord, it is necessary to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and trimmers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the fishing line does not automatically extend;
- the cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1. a bite occurred, i.e. clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3. fishing line soldered inside the mower head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you still purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, wet it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Video: How to Remove a Coil From a Trimmer
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
Also, the fishing line can be extended without the use of a button if the spring is loose. If the spring check confirms this fact, then several washers must be placed under it to strengthen its clamping properties.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To avoid this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the housing, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. You need to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should go without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil into the housing and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on it before installing the disk on the shaft.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.