How to replace the trimmer line on a gasoline mower
What you need to know before using a new lawnmower
the grass trimmer is a handy, easy-to-use tool for mowing grass and trimming small bushes and trees. It often uses a trimmer line (string, cord) as a cutting element, because it costs less than blade-discs and is safer to use. Intensive use of the tool will eventually require changing the trimmer line on the trimmer. This process is similar on mowers from different manufacturers, whether Husqvarna or Huter, with possible minor differences.
First of all, winding the line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- Small electric grass trimmers with the working position of the engine and spool in the bottom, as a rule, have side keys on both sides of the reel. When they are pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the reel with the internal contents for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring that is part of the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wing nut: in such designs should be one hand to hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise to rotate the fixing the bobbin on the rod nut, wing nut. After loosening the nut, the entire bobbin can be removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. To immobilize the bobbin, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow rotation is used to achieve a mutual arrangement whereby the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is locked. Then turn the spool body clockwise (with left-hand thread) and remove it from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. Bobbins with a wingnut unscrew the wingnut, spools with latches are pressed latch-fixators and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
How to replace, remove the mowing head of the electric grass trimmer BlackDecker GL716
How to change, remove mowing head electric grass trimmer
BlackDecker GL716 to repair or replace.
In most cases, gasoline trimmers with an engine capacity of more than 1.5 liters.с. use cords with an iron cable inside. In this video I show how to disassemble the spool of gasoline trimmer for grass, as well as how to properly wind the line for the trimmer on it. Look closely at the video I have on a similar trimmer how to change the line for the trimmer in. This thread is perfectly suitable for mowing dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
How to replace the trimmer line on a trimmer?
Replacing the grass trimmer fishing line with step-by-step instructions will allow even the owner of a lawnmower, who is inexperienced in such matters, to perform quite complex work.
However, before you begin work on replacing the line on your trimmer, you need to ensure that the work is done safely. In particular, care must be taken to ensure that the lawnmower cannot start up unintentionally or by accident:
- Prevent the mower from starting by itself,
- Remove the battery (if used),
- Place the tool on a comfortable work site.
Grass trimmer line replacement is convenient to perform when the mower is lying on the table and the person who performs the grass trimmer line replacement has an opportunity to step up to the tool from any side.
Grass trimmer head cover removal
The first stage of disassembly involves removing the grass trimmer head cover. Using the “Black and Decker” and other trimmer models as an example, you can usually apply some pressure to remove the cover by pushing the locking tab, which is located on the side of the head.
On some models of lawnmowers initially provides for the removal of the grass trimmer head, for which a hexagon wrench included in the tool kit is used. The head is normally held in place by two or three screws that are accessible through the side holes in the back cover.
The cover of the head, where the line spool is installed, is usually held in place by a latch. Sufficiently, with some effort to squeeze the tongue-latch and a little turn the cover, after which the cover is easily removed At the moment of squeezing the tongue-latch need to turn slightly and lift the cover of the trimmer head for grass to extract the winding drum.
Step two: Remove the spool with the line
The next step in the process is to remove the reel with the fishing line from the inner area of the head. Turn the head with its open side to see the trimmer line and spool. On the side of the head to find two recesses (eyelets), through which the line for the trimmer is led out.
The line for the trimmer should be released from the holes by turning the reel. Then carefully remove the spool from the head area. The winding drum of some models is installed on a spring. This must be taken into account during the extraction operation.
Procedure for extracting the grass trimmer reel with fishing line from the inner area of the head: 1. head complete with reel; 2. extraction gently with a small axial turn; 3. extracted parts The old trimmer line is completely removed from the reel. To remove the old grass trimmer line, you need to remove the line from the hinges and pull the free end. This method removes all old winding. The same process is repeated on the second reel. It is recommended that the handyman wear gloves when performing the work.
Types of trimmer heads
A grass mowing head is a cylindrical body, in which a spool with a line (cord) is inserted. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. Heads differ in the way of filling and filing and come in 3 types.
- Automatic. The filament is fed after the operator has reduced the engine speed. Although automatic filament feeding is convenient if you perform large amounts of work, but such bobbins have one disadvantage. a high consumption of filament.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head does not require any complicated manipulation from the user. The principle of their work is arranged so that the cord is extended automatically at a time when the machine works at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer due to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, after which it is cut to the required length by the knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you need to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled manually.
On the basis of the above, semi-automatic spools are the best option. Also keep in mind that grass trimmer reels for grass come in one-stranded (used only for trimming grass) and two-stranded, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, thin-stemmed shrubs.
Types of trimmer heads
Grass cutter head is a cylindrical body, in which a spool (bobbin) with a line (cord) is inserted. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. Bobbins differ in the way they are threaded and fed and come in three varieties.
- Semi-automatic. The filament is fed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Although automatic line feed is convenient if you perform a large amount of work, but these bobbins have a disadvantage. high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head does not require any complicated manipulation from the user. How they work is designed so that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the head of the grass trimmer on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin and then cut to the right length by the blade located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord it is necessary to stop the machine, and then the line for trimmer is pulled out manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic spools are the best option. Also keep in mind that grass trimmer spools come in single strings (used only for trimming grass) and double strings, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, thin-stemmed shrubs.
Installing a new line on the grass trimmer reel
Reassemble the spool with new fishing line in reverse order. The procedure looks approximately as described below, regardless of the model of lawnmower:
Step one: clamping and laying
Fold in half the end of the line. Place the piece over the bobbin on each side of each half of the winding area. Wrap both halves completely around the winding drum. Threading the line for the trimmer through the loop.
Procedure for preparing the line connection in the area of the two reel sections. The loops are placed in the specially made notches, and then the line is wound in each area It is enough to pull the line strongly for the trimmer and fit the knot in the groove made on each side of the winding drum.
Step two: winding the cutting material in sections
The next step is to wrap the line carefully around the spool. Make sure that each half is filled with “its own” filament, evenly, with no overlaps. Usually you can see arrows on the body of the spooling reel indicating the winding direction. This point should be kept in mind when filling up the spool with line.
Step Three: Fitting the Head Assembly
Pull the line ends through a pair of oval slots on the spool. Replace both washers and the spring (if present in the design) with the new elements included in the package. Bend both ends of the fishing line at right angles.
The last technical touch of the line replacement process on the trimmer is to put the cover on the head and then lock it by applying pressure and a slight twist. Pass each end through the hole that is at the base of the winding drum. Set the bobbin in the inner area of the head with the stop on the spring. Put the cover on, align it with the base and with a slight downward pressure with a slight counterclockwise rotation, place the cover on the tabs of the locks. This completes the replacement procedure.
Winding the line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer bobbin is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you have determined the filament length, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the cord in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center rim, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction to wind the line for the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the winding side. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it in the opposite direction.
- Wrap the consumable material carefully, coil to coil. Try to keep as much thread tension as possible.
- After you finish laying the cord, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the second end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the line for the trimmer, cut the ends. Don’t forget to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Fit the threaded spool to the mowing head of the machine. To do this, take turns inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to then place the bobbin of the device into the leather.
- Extend the cord from the holding grooves by applying the required force and tighten the material. When finished, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
You can also wind the cord on the grass trimmer in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. The replacement is done as follows:
How to quickly remove the bobbin from the tool
Before the thread is spooled onto the bobbin, the bobbin must be removed. And the methods of removal depend on the characteristics of the tool. On trimmers with a motor near the ground itself, the spool has two side buttons that, when pressed, detach part of the body along with the device for winding the thread.
Tools with a bent bar move the wing nut in a counterclockwise direction and remove both the reel and the spring inside it. On trimmers with a straight boom, use a screwdriver to fix it, rotate it clockwise, and remove it. Then the device is disassembled either with the help of latches or by moving its parts in different directions. Remove the spring from the spool.
How to rewind?
Knowing how to disassemble the spool can speed up the process of changing the line. Here it all depends on the design of the spool and the number of strands. Threading a spool with only one working whisker is fairly easy, especially if you follow a consistent plan.
Depending on the parameters of the bobbin and the length of line installed initially, it is recommended to choose a string of 2 to 5 meters.
First remove the bobbin from the tool and then open it.
In the hole inside the bobbin, you must install one of the ends of the line.
Next, the line should be wound onto the reel. This is done in the opposite direction from the normal rotation of the bobbin. Usually, trimmers have an arrow on the inside of the bobbin which shows in which direction to wind it.
Part of the line must be pulled out and secured in the special groove located on the inner part of the bobbin. Its purpose is to hold the bobbin winding while bringing the bobbin into working position.
The end of the string must be put through the hole that is on the outside of the spool.
The last step is to assemble the parts of the bobbin and put it on the mower’s boom.
Installing the line on the spool with two whiskers is carried out in a slightly different way. First, you need to determine how many grooves go on the inside of the spool, on which the line for the trimmer is put. There are versions with one groove, and then both whiskers must be wound together. There are also models with two grooves, when each of the whiskers goes separately.
In single-groove models
Then the winding is made in the direction opposite to the rotation of the reel on the mower. Often there is an arrow inside the spool, indicating how to put on the line for the trimmer correctly.
The ends of the line are fastened in the special groove, or simply held temporarily by hands and pulled into the hole located on the outside of the bobbin.
After that, the bobbin is closed and attached to the rod, after which the mower is ready to work.
In the version with two grooves
The line for the trimmer first folded in half to determine where the middle of the bend.
Next, the loop formed on the bend is slipped into the groove that is formed between the two grooves.
After that, you can wind both line whiskers in a separate groove.
Fix the whiskers and reel assembly can be completely the same as described above.
For the first time opening the spool and winding a new line for the trimmer is not always easy. Over time, this procedure becomes almost automatic and will not take much time. Some spools have an automatic system that independently winds the line for the trimmer. In the end, all that remains is to correctly tuck the end of the line, and all is done. In these models, the string must be put into the hole that is on the outside of the body. Next, the bobbin is assembled, and when the winding is rotated, the line is put on the bobbin.
How to quickly in a trimmer to replace the line for the trimmer in the spool on the disc
Depending on the complexity of the mowing, you can install a disc made of metal or high-strength plastic.
How to put a chain instead of a fishing line on a grass trimmer
it is possible to “pump” the machine additionally in order to mow not only grass, but also weeds and young growth. This does not require expensive tools or special skills. As the saying goes, everything is brilliantly simple!
- Chain from an old chainsaw;
- a bent inward cup, which is used to attach the grass trimmer blades;
- a washer and a nut;
- vise, marker and ruler;
- welding machine;
- metal drills.
The length from the chain ends to the washer must be the same.
Grass trimmer reel design
Mowing heads for trimmers come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows a semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the package of the majority of gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The design of a mowing head is quite simple. It consists of the following parts:
- The base of the mowing head;
- button for semi-automatic cord feed;
- bobbin (spool), in which the line for the trimmer is tucked
- eyelets. through them the line for the trimmer goes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line for trimmer (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads, shown in the following photo.
All of these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). In case of cord breakage, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
preparation for replacement
To make it clear, the mowing head (bobbin) was removed from the brushcutter. No need to remove the line to change it, everything is done on the spot. This does not take long.
We disassemble the grass trimmer bobbin. it is held in place by latches. Remove the cover by pushing on the latches. If you can’t do it with your hands, use a screwdriver.
The bobbin consists of the following:
How it works is as follows. Pressing the button, the bobbin presses the spring and comes out of the retaining grooves in the bobbin lid. Holding it in this state, you can twist the spool, thereby adjusting the length of the line. When you release the button, the body spring returns the bobbin to its original locked position.
Types of trimmer heads
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) with a fishing line (cord) tucked into it is inserted. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. Heads differ in the way they are threaded and fed and are available in three types.
- Automatic. The cord is fed after the user has reduced the engine speed. Although automatic filament feeding is convenient if you perform a large amount of work, but such bobbins have one drawback. a high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head does not require the user to perform complex manipulation. The way they work is that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It’s enough to slightly knock the head of the grass trimmer on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer due to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, and then cut to the right length by the blade located on the protective cover.
- Manual. Extending the cord requires stopping the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled out manually.
Semi-automatic bobbins are the best option, based on the above. Also note that grass trimmer reels are single string (used only for grass trimming) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
Read also: How to change the disk on a circular saw
How to remove and disassemble the reel
Before proceeding to the process of replacing the filament, trimmer users have the need to remove and disassemble the spool. Let’s see how to do it.
The grass trimmer’s mowing head consists of several parts: the cover, the spring (not in all models), the bobbin with cord and the cover.
Attention! Before attempting any maintenance on an electric machine, it must be unplugged.
Trimmers most often use 2 options for attaching the mowing head.