How To Run A New Chainsaw
Chainsaw won’t start reasons and repair
If you notice that your saw has stopped starting, this may indicate that engine oil is flooding the tool spark plug. To inspect the candle, you need to pull out the rubber cap on the body and unscrew the part with a candle wrench. If you see large spots of oil on the candle, it means that the cause of the breakdown lies precisely in this.
Stihl 180 chainsaw malfunctions and repairs
In the case of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, malfunctions and methods of their elimination may be different. In order to be able to independently eliminate breakdowns of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, we will study the most common causes of breakdowns and methods of their elimination on our own.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180 stalls at idle
The most common reason for this is incorrect adjustment of the saw carburetor. If the saw does not idle, the tool assembly will need to be re-adjusted. To do this, take an adjustment wrench from the saw kit and insert it into the screw on the tool handle. While doing this, slowly turn the screw clockwise until the saw starts working normally.
Features of the operation of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw
This model of the chainsaw, like its modification of the Stihl MS 180 C BE chainsaw, is not difficult to use. Below we will study the basic rules of operation that will save the main parts and mechanisms of the chainsaw from premature wear.
How to break in a new Stihl 180 chainsaw?
Starting using the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, most tool owners do not know how to properly run in a purchased saw. To do this, you must act in this order:
- Check for the presence of oil for the chain; for this, the saw must be placed on an old newspaper and the tool must be started. If there is oil, traces of it will appear on the paper;
- Then turn off the inertial brake;
- After that, start the chainsaw and let it idle for 20 minutes. In this case, every minute you need to do short pressing on the gas trigger;
- After 20 minutes, start sawing thin branches, gradually increasing the density and diameter of the wood.
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180 specifications
In terms of operational performance, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is in many ways superior to its counterparts in its price category. This tool, as well as its modification of the Stihl 180 C chainsaw, has the following technical characteristics:
- Power 2 hp FROM.;
- The working volume of the cylinder is 31.8 cm3;
- Fuel consumption 0.7 l / h;
- Fuel tank capacity 250 ml;
- Tank volume for oil supply 145 ml;
- Idling speed 2800 rpm;
- Manual launch;
- Automatic chain lubrication;
- The length of the tires used is 3035 cm;
- Chain pitch 3/8 ” v
- Working weight 4.2 kg.
The Stihl MC 180 chainsaw does not require special maintenance. The only thing that the owner will need is to use high-quality fuel and top up oil on time. The diameter of the file for sharpening the chain of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw should be 4.55 mm.
Chainsaw break-in instructions
There are two types of break-in procedures, which are carried out on a new tool, and on a chainsaw after a motor overhaul. A new chainsaw needs to be run in with an average load, since the idling of the engine helps to reduce the engine resource. In order not to harm the tool, and at the same time carry out the grinding procedure for rubbing parts correctly, you should provide a gentle load for the chainsaw.
Running in a gasoline-powered tool engine is performed in the following way:
1. Setting the supply of the enriched fuel-air mixture. To do this, you need to adjust the carburetor. The process of starting the unit is described in detail here 2. The carburetor is adjusted by moving the adjusting screws L, H and T 3. Initially, the maximum engine speed is reduced by 600-700 rpm from the maximum value. To reduce the speed, loosen screw H 4 with a slotted screwdriver. To determine the number of revolutions at idle, use a tachometer. How to check the revolutions of the chainsaw with a tachometer is described here 5. If it is not possible to check the revolutions with a tachometer, then the adjustment should be performed according to the instructions. Sawers need to purchase a tachometer to measure the rpm, as the carburetor will need to be adjusted regularly for the unit to function normally. 6. Without a tachometer, adjustment is made by moving screw H a quarter turn towards the rich side. You can determine the increase in fuel supply by the sound of the engine 7. After passing the running-in stage, you will need to fine-tune the carburetor using a tachometer
During the running-in process, let the unit run for 3-5 minutes at XX, then start cutting wood with a small diameter up to 10 cm.High loads on the motor must be excluded, and the sawing process should be accompanied by pauses of 1 minute of work and a 20-second break at XX.
How to break in a chainsaw and how long does it take to break in
Running a chainsaw is one of the main procedures that the owner of a new tool must carry out. This procedure is necessary in order for the moving parts of the tool to rub in. The components of the mechanism can also rub in when working with a chainsaw, however, in such a situation, the motor may jam. The break-in procedure should be carried out exclusively in the mode of gentle loads.
Why you need to run in new chainsaws
Running in a new chainsaw contributes to the final formation of optimal clearances between the piston rings and the cylinder walls. When lapping, an increase in compression occurs, therefore, an increase in tool power is observed. Running-in is needed so that the heat from the piston, which it receives during fuel combustion, is transferred to the cylinder walls, and does not straighten it.
If you do not perform the grinding procedure of parts, this will affect the working life of the chainsaw, which will be reduced tenfold. If you do not run in, and load the engine from the first hours of operation of the tool, then it can jam. As a result, you will have to pay with a major overhaul or even the purchase of a new tool.
Not only the chainsaw engine needs to be run in, but also the chain with the tire, which must also rub against each other. The teeth of the chainsaw sprocket with the tail part of the chain are also rubbed, which is also important. Not every experienced sawer knows whether it is possible to run a gasoline tool under load. Many people believe that this procedure should be performed exclusively at idle, which is also wrong.
How to break in an engine after repair
Internal combustion engines need to be run-in after overhaul. The difference in the grinding process between a new engine and after a major overhaul is only that less running-in hours are required (1 tank is enough). Otherwise, all actions are performed similarly to the process of running in a new tool.
After overhauling the motor, it is also advisable to install a new tire, chain and sprocket. This will make it possible to simultaneously run in the entire component headset. Fill the fuel tank with a mixture of gasoline and oil. Gasoline should be of the AI-92 brand, but not lower, and the oil for the mixture with fuel is selected special for two-stroke engines.
How to break in the chain and tire of a chainsaw
Simultaneously with the running-in of the motor, it is necessary to grind the saw headset. To ensure proper lapping, you need to make sure that:
There is sufficient oil in the tank to lubricate the chain. The chain is well tensioned. Oil flows to the chain when the tool is running.
When starting up for the first time, additional oil can be applied to the chain, which will not be unnecessary. It can be removed and soaked in oil for a while (1-2 hours). It is recommended to use special oil, but not waste.
After the chain is soaked in oil, it is installed on the chainsaw bar and stretched. The tension should be sufficient so that the chain does not fly off, but still moves freely by hand. After 10-15 minutes of operating the tool under load, re-tighten the headset.
Chinese chainsaw and its running-in
Many sawers are interested in how a Chinese gasoline tool is run in correctly. This is the same tool as European or Russian models, so the adjustment process is absolutely identical. The only difference may be the difference in the location of the carburetor adjusting screws and their name.
In order for the grinding of rubbing parts to be successful, you must follow the instructions and do not exceed the maximum engine speed. The running-in time is indicated for each tool in the instructions, but usually it is enough to blow out 2-3 full tanks of fuel to grind the parts.
Beginners do not always follow the break-in procedure, so they may observe premature failure of some units and parts of the gasoline tool. To prevent this from happening, you need to take care of the unit not only while working with it, but also when it is lying on the shelf. Electric and cordless saws also need to be run in. Only in such units is the chain and tire rubbed, which must also work to increase the efficiency and productivity of the tool.
Do I need to run in a chainsaw?
A gasoline chain saw consists of a series of units that, during intensive work, are subject to heat and increased friction. As a result of operation under increased loads, most garden tool parts are subject to severe wear. Most often this leads to minor breakdowns, however, there are often cases in which deformation of the drive sprocket occurs, the formation of burrs on the surface of the cylinder-piston group and other serious breakdowns.
To avoid these malfunctions and to establish the proper operation of all elements of the chainsaw, after purchasing it, you will need to run in the household tool. In the process of its implementation, the moving parts are displaced in the direction required by the unit device. In addition, running in a new chainsaw allows the lubricating fluids used to be evenly distributed throughout the tool structure and to cover the saw parts with a thin oil film. In the future, it will protect the chainsaw mechanisms from high temperatures, increased friction, corrosion and carbon deposits.
How to break in a new chainsaw correctly?
Before you start running in your garden tool, you need to make sure that the carburetor settings required for operation are set on it. To do this, you need to study the instruction manual, which indicates the correct position of the screws. If it does not match the position of the screws on the chainsaw, then you will need to unscrew them yourself.
After that, you will need to carefully inspect the chainsaw device and make sure that there is an air filter, some models go on sale without it. Then you need to prepare a fresh fuel mixture and add oil to lubricate the chain.
Next, you need to do the following:
- First, the tool must be equipped with a standard saw bar, on which a break-in chain for a chainsaw must be installed. Using this part instead of a standard headset will help to use all the moving elements of the saw, avoiding increased stress on them;
- Next, you need to start the engine of the tool and let it run at idle. The duration of the motor operation in this mode should be at least 20 minutes. In this case, every 45 seconds, the operator must gas the engine;
- After 20 minutes, the engine will need to be turned off. After that, you need to wait for the engine to cool down and start it again;
- Then the operator must start sawing small branches. You need to continue cutting until the fuel used is consumed;
- After that, you need to fill the saw with fresh fuel and start sawing branches of medium thickness. As soon as the second tank with fuel is used up, you need to stop the saw and let the engine cool down;
- When the saw has cooled down, you will need to refill with a new fuel mixture and start cutting large wood.
On average, it takes at least 23 hours to run a new chainsaw. During this time, the parts will have time to finally get used to each other and establish stable operation for further intensive operation.
How to break in a new chainsaw correctly?
Like any other garden tool, a gasoline saw needs careful preparation for use. This allows its owner to reduce the load on the engine and other important unit components during the first days of operation after purchase, as well as prevent premature breakdowns associated with increased friction of the operating mechanisms.
Running in a Chinese chainsaw procedure
The main difference between most of the chainsaws from China from the equipment of European and American brands is their high power. Because of this, Chinese garden tools need a longer break-in period.
Before starting the preparation of a Chinese chainsaw, its owner must be convinced of the correctly set carburetor settings. If the adjustment was not made by the manufacturer, then the settings will need to be set. over, experienced users do not recommend that beginners do the first carburetor adjustment on their own. It is best to take the saw to a service whose employees specialize in the maintenance and repair of chainsaws from China.
Further running-in of the Chinese garden tool is performed in the following sequence:
- The operator must first prime the tool with a mixture of fuel and chain oil. In this case, you need to remember about the principles of preparing fuel Chinese saws need more engine oil than European ones;
- After that, you need to start the saw engine and leave it to idle until the first tank with fuel is completely depleted. In this case, every minute you need to run the motor;
- Then you will need to refuel the chainsaw and start sawing small dry branches. You need to work with wood with minimal loads on the engine’s internal combustion engine and turn off the engine to cool down every 15 minutes;
- As soon as the second tank of fuel is used up, you need to fill in a fresh fuel mixture and start processing the wood of medium thickness. Sawing small branches and logs is necessary before the third fuel tank is developed;
- After that, you will need to wait for the engine to cool completely and refuel the chainsaw to cut large logs.
The main requirement during the running-in of a new Chinese chainsaw is to take breaks when the plastic body of the tool heats up to a critical state. This indicates an extreme speed of rotation of the crankshaft, which can lead to a violation of its fixation and breakdown of the engine’s CPG.
Preparing for the first launch
Before starting the chainsaw, make sure that the emergency stop mechanism of the headset is turned off. The engine is started in the sequence recommended by the instructions.
After a short warm-up, the power unit is recommended to be brought to medium speed to check the lubrication system. To do this, just hold the headset over a piece of paper. The presence of an oil strip indicates that the system is working and that the saw chain is fully lubricated.
Sprocket bearings on guide rails 16 inches or more are individually lubricated after 8-10 hours of operation.
How to properly run a chainsaw
The resource of new chainsaw equipment largely depends on the quality of its preparation for subsequent operation. How to properly run in a European or Chinese chainsaw with maximum efficiency?
The low-cost in time and material investment process of running in a new tool has a positive effect on its performance and duration of use.
Moderate loads during the first stage of running-in contribute to a full-fledged lapping of internal parts, complete and inexpensive development of the assigned overhaul and operational life.
Preparation for operation of chainsaws made in China
The standard running-in of a Chinese chainsaw requires the use of only branded engine oils designed to meet the performance characteristics of the Chinese chainsaw range.
Most powerful Chinese models run on motor and chain oils with special additives, which have a positive effect on the stability of their working and operational parameters.
Factory run-in benefits
It should be noted that new saws from many leading manufacturers do not need running-in. The running-in of the piston group and working equipment using a special technology is carried out directly in the process of control tests.
The chrome plating of the inner diameter of the cylinder and the application of wear-resistant coatings on the working surfaces of loaded parts helps to reduce the time of this stage. However, the sparing recommendations for the first hours of tool operation remain valid.
Fuel preparation features
Each chainsaw differs from the same type of models, design features, dosage of the fuel-oil working mixture, therefore, even with proper experience, it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the attached operating instructions.
For the preparation of fuel, it is advised to use fresh gasoline with an octane number of at least 90 and a heat-resistant engine oil recommended by the manufacturer, in the dosage indicated in the instructions.
The fuel mixture in an amount sufficient for one-time operation is prepared in a fireproof metal container, in the best version with a hermetic stopper. In the absence of oils recommended by the manufacturer, replacement with a full-fledged analogue of the JASOFB or ISOEGB category is possible.
Gasoline with an oil component should not be stored for more than 2 months. The working properties of an overexposed gasoline-oil mixture significantly deteriorate over time.
Recommendations for the initial run-in phase
- The practice of running in a new chainsaw without a saw headset is fundamentally wrong, since all its moving elements need to be run in.
- The typical run-in time is several hours. In any case, the design of chainsaws of any quality and price level does not provide for continuous operation of the engine at idle.
- In this mode, the loaded parts of the piston group and the connecting rod-crank mechanism experience a significant lack of lubrication, which inevitably leads to overheating and forced wear of the working surfaces.
- The total running-in time at idle with periodic blow-by of 25-30 seconds should not exceed 15-20 minutes.
The operation of the engine being run in without load at high speeds is strictly excluded. over, idling running in the tool is ineffective; the best result can be obtained when exposed to moderate loads. The new chainsaw can be used for sawing medium-density wood with small diameters up to 100 mm.
Preparing a new product
The saw frame and chain must be fitted to the tool. There are often tips on the net to make the first starts without load, but they are extremely harmful and will lead to the opposite result. Lack of load has a detrimental effect on the condition of the new engine:
- Fuel combustion mode changes;
- There is no possibility of uniform lubrication of all surfaces;
- The quality of heat dissipation decreases.
All these factors contribute to the formation of carbon deposits, the formation of scoring, which can lead to seizure of the piston. An overhaul of a new chainsaw will be required, which could have been avoided by properly running in.
Figure 1 Running in the chainsaw
Before starting the direct work, some preparation will be required. It is no less important for obtaining a successful result, therefore, we will consider the process in stages:
Fuel-oil mixture production
The type of fuel most suitable for a given brand of tool is always indicated in the instructions. For running-in, you need a mixture of gasoline and oil, prepared in a proportion determined by the manufacturer. As a rule, gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 90 is used. For Russian fuels, A92 or AI92 brands are relevant. Higher values should not be chosen, as they are often faked.
The optimal choice of synthetic oil, it burns out completely. Usually the oil is 2% (1:50), but for some models of Chinese chainsaws this value changes (1:25), and for Partner tools it is 1:40. It is necessary to use the ready-made mixture as early as possible, ideally on the same day, but not later than several weeks. During the running-in process, you will need to develop 5-6 full tanks of the mixture.
Types of running-in
There are two types of running in:
- Factory. Produced at the tool manufacturer. Many modern models of chainsaws undergo full factory training and do not need additional running-in. You can work with them at full capacity right from the moment of purchase;
- Household. Run-in by the owner of the saw. Produced in the first days after purchase or after a major overhaul.
Factory run-in is carried out by specialists in conditions close to ideal. This guarantees a positive result and high running quality. At the same time, the household running-in of the chainsaw will in any case be carried out after the engine overhaul. Therefore, it is necessary for every owner of the instrument to be able to produce it correctly.
Do I need to run in a chainsaw?
A new or overhauled chainsaw is not ready for full load. It is necessary to operate it for some time in a softer mode, so that all moving parts properly rub against each other. This applies not only to the piston group of the engine, but also to the elements of the cutterhead and frame. Gentle mode allows you to prepare mechanisms for full load, reduce or completely eliminate the risk of pistons jamming in the cylinder, facilitate chain movement without unnecessary friction and heating.
The main problem of non-rolled chainsaws is the lack of uniform transfer of thermal energy to the cylinder walls. It remains on the piston, which expands and poses a risk of wedging, which means engine failure and the need for overhaul. When all the smallest irregularities and roughness are smoothed out, good contact of the piston with the cylinder appears, which increases compression and heat transfer. This evens out the operating mode and removes unnecessary frictional loads. In addition, the noise level is reduced, which is also important for users performing large volumes of work.
How to properly run a chainsaw detailed instructions and recommendations.
Any gas powered tool needs competent operation to ensure maximum performance in combination with optimal loads on the engine and other tool components. The chainsaw, as a cutting tool operating in difficult and hazardous conditions, needs to be met to the greatest extent possible. One of the most important conditions for correct work is to create optimal working conditions in the first days of tool operation.
Running a chainsaw is an important and crucial stage of operation, which requires an understanding of the meaning and purpose of all procedures performed. The question is important and requires detailed coverage.
- Do I need to run in a chainsaw?
- Types of running-in
- Preparing a new product
- Fuel-oil mixture production
- Checking the lubrication
- Carburetor adjustment
- How to properly test a new technique step by step instructions
- Features of running-in tools from different manufacturers
- What are the threats and ways to overcome them
Features of running-in tools from different manufacturers
Chainsaws from different manufacturers differ from each other in design, engine power and other parameters. Accordingly, the process of running in them also takes place taking into account the specific features of the tool. It should be noted that top manufacturers supply the market with fully prepared tools that do not need running-in. Information about operating modes, the need for running-in and other important points can be found in the instructions for this chainsaw.
Basically, running-in is required for domestic and Chinese chainsaws. It is produced in accordance with the stated rules and specific methods set out in the instructions.
Consider the nuances of performing the procedure for two popular models of chainsaws:
- STIHL MS-180 (Stihl). German chainsaws, known all over the world. The carburetor for these tools is shipped with a tool run-in setting. The fuel-oil mixture is made up in a ratio of 1:50; for a complete break-in, at least 5 full tanks will be required. It is strictly forbidden to start and leave the saw to work on canvas! It has air cooling, which practically does not function in this mode.
For normal cooling, a flywheel operation is necessary, and this is possible only under a load, even a small one. After the end of the running-in, you should contact the service center to reconfigure the carburetor to the operating mode.
- CHAMPION (Champion). Chinese tools are difficult to repair and should be handled with great care. Break-in of Champion chainsaws is carried out on a fuel-oil mixture with a ratio of 1:50. It is necessary to use the oil of the same name brand CHAMPION JASO FD, since the Chinese tool is sensitive to the quality of fuels and lubricants. The manufacturer requires a run-in until 6-8 full fuel tanks are used up. There are no special requirements, except for normal conditions, soft operation without prolonged loads at full engine speed.
Figure 4 Running in the chainsaw “Champion”