How to set the ignition on a lawn mower
How to set the ignition on a Moskvich 2141 Video
Unique and fast DIY ignition installation for Muscovites
The owner of the classic model of the Russian car industry should know how to put the ignition on the Moscow-412. This is a very simple process, but can be tricky if you don’t know the procedure. How exactly the ignition of Moskvich-2140 and other branded models is installed and will be discussed in this article.
Photo gallery “Replacing the ignition lock and its devices”
Why turn on the ignition?
Correct ignition timing will directly affect vehicle dynamics. It will also save fuel. If the ignition occurs too late, the engine overheats, the mixture does not burn out completely, which also reduces power.
If the engine starts too quickly, it may knock on the engine. This can even cause valves and pistons to burn out.
To work, you need tools such as a set of keys and a signal lamp.
The procedure for firing up Moskvich-412 is as follows:
- Remove the valve cover first. Then use the starter handle and turn the crankshaft. Continue until the mark on it aligns with the pin on the block, as well as the mark on the star marked on the cylinder head.
- Release the latches, remove the switch cover. Use the “10” KEY to remove two nuts, lift the glass. The slider should be located opposite the wire of the first cylinder.
- Now put the glass back in place and tighten it. Start the engine. Using the “12” key, you need to loosen the hexagon at the bottom of the distributor. When the engine is running, you will need to turn the trim tab until you hear the engine running smoothly. This is the method of adjusting the ignition while listening.
- Adjustment can also be done with a warning lamp. After you attach the labels and move the pointer over the slider, loosen the dispenser mount. One wire of the test lamp should be connected to the low voltage terminal and the other. to the ground. Switch on the ignition. While holding the slider, turn the switch until the light comes on, this will be the ignition moment.
# 6. = Andrey =-
- Gender: Male
- Place of residence: Ustye, EKB
- Machine: м2140
Why expose the ignition?
If you set the ignition timing correctly, it will directly affect the dynamics of the car. It will also save fuel. If the ignition is too late, the engine overheats, the working mixture does not completely burn out and this also reduces power.
New on the site
How to set the ignition on a Muscovite
To install the ignition you need:
Unscrew the plug of the first cylinder (counting from the radiator and plug the hole with a paper plug, then turn the crankshaft with the handle until the plug is pushed out. This means that a compression stroke occurs in the first cylinder. After that, continue to slowly turn the crankshaft until the ignition setting mark on the crankshaft pulley is aligned with a pin (Moskvich-412) or marks on the pulley with a second mark on the block cover (VAZ-2101).
Remove the distributor cover, turn the rotor to the position in which its spacer plate will coincide with the side terminal of the cover of the first cylinder (the rotor plate is directed to the low voltage terminal of the housing), in this position, install the distributor-breaker into the block socket, slightly turning the rotor. insert the roller into engagement with the drive, tighten the nut fastening the interrupter-distributor to the engine by hand, set the octane corrector to zero division.
Connect the test lamp with one wire to the low voltage terminal of the breaker, and the other to ground.
Turn on the ignition and turn the body of the interrupter-distributor against the direction of rotation of the rotor (clockwise on the AZLK-412 engine, and counterclockwise on the VAZ-2101 engine) to the start; opening of contacts. At the moment of opening the contacts, the control lamp lights up. The moment of opening of contacts can also be determined. For this, the high-voltage wire taken out of the central terminal of the distributor must be kept at a distance of 3-4 mm from the ground and the body of the distributor-breaker must be turned. At the moment of opening the contacts between the wire and the magicians, a spark appears.
Turn off the ignition, tighten the nut securing the distributor-distributor to the engine with a wrench, close the distributor cover, starting from the terminal of the first cylinder, connect the high voltage wires to the spark plugs in the direction of rotation of the rotor in the order of operation of the engine cylinders. Connect the tube of the vacuum ignition timing device (AZLK-412 engine).
Start the engine, warm it up to normal temperature and drive at a speed of 50 km / h in direct gear on a flat road, sharply increase the speed. At the same time, weak short metal knocks should be heard in the engine. The absence of knocks indicates late ignition, and incessant knocks indicate early ignition.
Refinement of the ignition timing in this case is carried out by the octane corrector.
How to adjust the ignition on a scooter?
To set up the ignition on a scooter, you need to prepare a screwdriver and study the manufacturer’s instructions. The timing star must be in the correct position.
Important! There are special marks on the case of the magneto. You need to find them before starting the setup.
Manufacturers usually label them with the letter “T”. This is the extreme point of the cylinder, after reaching which the piston begins to reverse movement. Now you need to position the rotor so that the protrusion on it coincides with the “T” mark on the magneto. This can be easily achieved by turning the rotor by hand with a screwdriver or with a kick starter.
Next, you need to find the marks on the timing star. These are 3 points (holes) that are on the outside of the part. One of the points has a larger diameter than the other 2. After adjusting the ignition on the scooter, the larger hole should be up. Smaller points are located opposite each other in the horizontal plane.
Defective scooter ignition and engine problems
The scooter is a lightweight, easy-to-operate scooter that can be seen on city and country roads, on highways and highways. Many have a similar vehicle, but not every driver is ready to give the bike the required attention.
Important! If the ignition on the scooter is knocked down or not adjusted, this will affect the operation of the motor. Therefore, the maintenance of the mechanism is carried out at a specified frequency, and when signs of malfunction appear, they are immediately eliminated.
Problems with starting the engine can appear for a number of other reasons. Therefore, before starting the configuration, you need to check the following:
- if there is a blockage in the carburetor;
- fuel level;
- Is there enough gasoline and air entering the engine?
- Are spark plugs working.
If breakdowns in the listed systems are excluded, components and mechanisms work stably, you need to pay attention to the ignition setting.
How to set the ignition on a scooter?
Published by marvel on 02/16/2021 02/16/2021
The scooter is a highly demanded, popular vehicle. Over time, the bike requires maintenance. Service may be required if the scooter does not pick up speed or stalls. The manufacturer indicates the frequency of such work. One of the systems that requires attention during the maintenance process is the ignition on the scooter. Due to failures in this unit, the engine wears out faster. How to set the ignition on a scooter, we will consider in detail further.
To eliminate the possibility of a malfunction in the ignition setting, experienced scooter drivers perform a setting called “ahead of the curve.” This action allows the motor to start easier, deliver high power.
Important! If you tune the ignition on the scooter ahead of time, the spark on the spark plug appears instantly before the piston reaches its extreme point. This technique makes it easier to start in cold weather, in bad weather conditions.
To make this adjustment, you need to set the marks on the magneto and rotor so that the discrepancy between them is about 5 mm. This ensures normal engine operation in winter.
Periodic tuning, including in advance, allows you to quickly start the engine, provided there are no faults in other nodes of the fuel system.
Additional tips for setting the ignition
It is noteworthy that in some cases, with a well-set lead angle, the operation of the power plant at XX is clearly not impressive. In this case, inexperienced drivers begin to turn the distributor again, shifting the position to the “early” one. Of course, you shouldn’t do that. It is better to pay attention to the carburetor adjustment.
How to set the distributor skillfully and without problems
Having learned how to set the distributor on your car, you don’t have to worry about starting the engine smoothly, be it anywhere. You can also save on fuel, because incorrectly set ignition increases fuel consumption several times. Finally, the traction characteristics of the car will increase, and you can no longer be afraid that detonation will appear.
The gap and its exposure on the distributor
The gaps between the distributor contacts and their adjustment are no less important. It is recommended to adjust the gap in car services, but in extreme cases you can do it yourself. Especially after the self-ignition was exposed.
The step-by-step instructions for setting the gap are as follows:
- A set of special probes with a thickness of 0.40 mm is being prepared.
- The distributor cover is removed.
- The distributor rotor is also dismantled (it is held by 2 fixing screws).
- The crankshaft turns until the breaker cam reaches its maximum position. when the contacts are open to the limit.
- Now the gap between the distributor contacts is checked. If in one place, for example, the gap is less, then you should alternately loosen the tightening of the fixing screws of the contact group stand and pushing the stand with a screwdriver until the optimal gap is reached.
Note. The normal gap, for example, on a VAZ “seven” should be 0.35-0.45 mm.
Exposure by the 1st candle
TDC is indicated on the rim of the crankshaft pulley, and on the hub, directly opposite the risks, there is a special influx.
So, here’s what you need to do:
- Unscrew the 1st SZ, and then close the hole with a plug.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley until compression torque appears. In other words, until the rubber plug, put in place of the plug, begins to squeeze out.
- Continue cranking until the crankshaft risk comes off the pointer on the timing case.
Attention. Experts advise. if the car owner pours gasoline with an octane rating higher than 95, then it should be combined with a short risk. If standard fuel, then it should be combined with a medium risk, with an angle of 5 degrees. If the 72nd or lower is poured, then it should be combined with a long mark corresponding to 0 degrees.
- After that, you will need to loosen the latches, remove the cover.
After the crankshaft pulley turns properly, the rotor will move into the zone where its contact from the outside will point towards the first cylinder. When aligning all the marks, it is recommended to mentally draw an axis along the lid latches. The line should go clearly parallel to the axis of the power plant. If this is not the case, the preparatory operation must be continued.
- The retainer nut of the distributor is unscrewed.
- Trambler turns up.
- After rotation, the rotor axis is placed parallel to the power plant.
- The distributor is put in place, the retainer is tightened, but not completely.
Now is the time to start directly with the ignition setting process.
- One end of the voltmeter with a low-voltage wire is connected to the terminal of the ignition coil, the other to ground.
- Ignition turns on.
- The distributor turns gently clockwise until the indicator stops flashing.
- Now the distributor rotates against the emergency, and as soon as the indicator lights up, the distributor should be fixed completely.
- The ignition is switched off.
- The distributor cover is put in place.
It’s time to check how everything is done.
- The engine starts, the car starts moving.
- It is recommended to accelerate to 45 km / h, then put on 4th gear and instantly “gas”.
- After a few seconds, detonation should begin (pops and ringing is evidence of this), which will disappear as the car accelerates.
There are several versions. If, as the car accelerates, detonation occurs, but does not disappear, the set ignition is most likely “early”. To eliminate this blunder, you will have to turn the distributor clockwise for another half or full division.
It is possible to judge the “late” ignition if the detonation does not appear at all. In this case, the distributor rotates counterclockwise by half or full division.
Attention. After completing the ignition adjustment, it is recommended to mark on the distributor housing the position of the middle mark relative to the block.
Ignition setting according to two scenarios
Every modern car enthusiast has his own answer regarding how to expose the distributor. Some use a stroboscopic instrument, others perform eye surgery, and still others use only the services of a service station.
If you want to learn how to independently set the ignition, you will need to stock up on several tools. A key for 13, a voltmeter and a tool for removing spark plugs (spark plug) are required.
Correctly exposed ignition provides a reference point for the 1st or 4th cylinder of the power plant. Let’s see how to do it in the first case.
When setting the ignition moment, you must also be guided by the marks on the timing cover. There are 3 marks there:
- Long risk coinciding with a lead angle of 0 degrees.
- Medium risk. with an angle of 5 degrees.
- Short risk. with a 10 degree angle.
Alignment on the 4th cylinder
This manual does not imply the use of special meters, pilot lamps or stroboscopes. Definitely, if the final check is carried out on a moving car, all this is superfluous.
- Keys 13 and 38 (ring).
Step-by-step instructions for placing:
- The car is put on the “handbrake”.
- The advance moment is set for a certain octane number of the fuel (more about this was mentioned above).
- The marks on the crankshaft and the front cover of the power plant are aligned by slowly rotating the crankshaft using the ratchet.
- The distributor is placed parallel to the motor using its latches. In this case, the contact of the slider must be directed towards the 4th cylinder (this can be determined by the distributor cover).
Attention. Press the distributor body slightly with the holder.
- The ignition is switched on.
- The distributor rotates clockwise until the contacts open, until a spark appears between them.
The appearance of a spark is the correct ignition moment. In this position, the distributor should be securely fixed.
What threatens an incorrectly exposed distributor
If the ignition is set incorrectly, then it threatens with big trouble. Here are just a few of them.
- Loss of the former power of the power plant and throttle response.
- Increased fuel consumption.
- Black exhaust, indicating incomplete fuel combustion.
- Burnout of valves, etc.
As for the reasons for knocking down the factory settings, then, as a rule, they are associated with the human factor. The driver himself dismantles the distributor for some reason, after which the standard settings go astray.
It will be interesting to note that on domestic car models the slider is set on the 1st cylinder, but on foreign cars. on the 4th or according to the special mark of the distributor body.
On Moskvich, Zaporozhets and Volga-24/31, the marks are two different crescents. One of them is short, the other is long.
How the trimmer ignition system works
The ignition system of a two-stroke internal combustion engine consists of 2 elements: a flywheel and a coil (magneto). The picture below shows how they look.
The flywheel has an impeller that acts as a fan to cool the engine. There are also permanent magnets on one side of the flywheel, shown in the figure by an arrow.
When the flywheel rotates, an electric current is generated in the coil, which serves to produce a spark on the spark plug. A spark appears when the magnets are directly below the magneto.
Why do I need ignition adjustment
In some cases, when the engine does not start, ignition adjustment will be required. Of course, first you need to check the condition of the candle and the high-voltage cable with a cap.
It is necessary to adjust the ignition on a two-stroke engine in order to ensure timely ignition of the fuel in the engine combustion chamber. Below is a diagram from which you can understand the principle of operation of the internal combustion engine.
The spark in the spark plug should appear at the moment the fuel is compressed by the piston, when it does not even reach the top dead center (TDC). When the piston passes TDC, the fuel mixture ignites, as a result of which the piston goes down under the action of the explosion energy.
Therefore, if, for some reason (mainly due to the displacement of the flywheel on the shaft relative to its initial position), the fuel ignites before the piston passes TDC, then it goes back, and the crankshaft rotates in the opposite direction. This movement could damage the starter assembly, cut the starter cord, etc. In this case, early ignition of the fuel occurs.
There may also be a late ignition on the trim: the piston, after compression of the fuel that has not ignited, goes down, and at this moment a spark appears. In this case, the engine will either not start, or it will significantly lose power and it will be bad to gain speed.
But such problems with early or late ignition on two-stroke internal combustion engines are quite rare, since the flywheel with magnets is already installed in the correct position, which is perfectly synchronized with the movement of the piston. In addition, the flywheel is secured to the shaft with a key and nut. Therefore, incorrect installation of the part is excluded.
Basically, ignition adjustment is about setting the correct gap between the magneto and the flywheel.
Trimmer ignition setting
Gasoline trimmers use both two-stroke internal combustion engines (ICE) and four-stroke. But the ignition system in them is no different from each other, therefore, the repair and adjustment of this fuel ignition system will be the same for different types of internal combustion engines.
How to check the health of a magneto
Magneto is the main part of the engine ignition system and is a coil with primary and secondary windings located around the core. Often, due to a malfunction of the magneto, the spark on the spark plug disappears and the fuel does not ignite. To check the coil, you need to use a tester, and follow these steps.
How to Replace Ignition Switch on a Riding Lawn Mower
- On the tester, after switching to the resistance measurement mode, you need to set 200 ohms. In this way, the primary winding will be checked.
- Connect one electrode of the tester to coil ground and the other to the lead coming out of the magneto. Normally, the resistance should be between 0.4 and 2 ohms.
- To check the secondary winding, you will need to set the device switch to 20 ohms. Further, one probe of the device is inserted into the candle cap, and the second is connected to the “mass”. Normally, resistance indicators should be in the range from 4-6 kΩ and above (depending on the model).
When the circuit is open, the device will show infinity, and when closed. 0 (zero).
If you do not have a tester, then you can use the following method, being very careful so that the electrode does not touch the cylinder, otherwise the coil will burn out.
- Remove the cap from the candle. You do not need to unscrew the candle in order to maintain compression.
- It is necessary to insert a nail without a cap into the cap. The nail should be of such a diameter that it adheres well to the cap.
- Tie the cap with the nail to the cylinder using a dielectric so that the gap between the electrode and the cylinder body is between 5.5 and 7 mm (but in no case touches the “mass”).
- Using the starter, simulate the engine start several times. The ignition button must be on.
- Observe if a spark appears and what color it has.
Normally, the spark should be strong, white or bluish. If the spark is weak, and its color is orange or yellow, this indicates a faulty magneto.
You should also consider the fact that sometimes cold magneto can give a good spark. But after heating, due to internal malfunctions, it ceases to produce current. As soon as the coil cools down, the trimmer starts up again and runs for a while until the magneto warms up again. This coil needs to be replaced.
Sometimes a spark plug can cause a similar heating problem even if the coil is OK, so both parts need to be checked.
Ignition adjustment algorithm
Trimmer ignition is quite simple to adjust.
- Remove the engine cover from the engine by unscrewing all the bolts holding it. For example, on a Patriot (Patriot) PT 2540 lawn mower, to remove the cover, you will need to unscrew the air filter housing, and use a flat screwdriver to remove it from the latches. After that, the plastic case can be easily removed.