How to set the ignition on a Lifan walk-behind tractor
Ignition of motoblocks
Ignition is a mechanism responsible for the formation of an electrical impulse required by the walk-behind tractor to ignite the fuel being refueled. The first start and subsequent operation of the agricultural unit engine depends on the health of the ignition system. Like the rest, this mechanism needs regular maintenance and timely repair. this will be the key to stable operation of the internal combustion engine under any weather and operating conditions.
How to set the ignition on a walk-behind tractor?
The following signs will prompt you to urgently adjust the gap in the ignition system:
- the need for frequent unsuccessful pulling of the starter cord;
- late reaction of the walk-behind tractor engine to manipulations with the starter;
- complete lack of starting the internal combustion engine of the agricultural unit.
Each of these faults indicates that the operator must install the ignition of the walk-behind tractor used on the farm. The correct procedure for this can be found in the operating instructions for the existing equipment. However, the operator’s manual is not always at hand. In this case, the gap between the built-in ignition module and the flywheel can be set in the following sequence:
- First, the operator must cover the candle with a special square;
- Then its body will need to be pressed against the head of the standard internal combustion engine cylinder;
- Next, the candle must be turned in the opposite direction from the hole provided in the end of the chrome-plated cylinder;
- After that, it is necessary to carefully turn the crankshaft of the engine of the walk-behind tractor. for this it is enough to pull the cord of the starting mechanism;
- As a result of the actions performed, a bright blue spark should slip between the built-in electrodes. If this does not happen, then it is necessary to check the distance between the magneto and the starter of the walk-behind tractor. it should be from 0.1 to 0.15 mm. If these requirements do not meet these requirements, the gap between the elements will need to be adjusted.
Many experienced users adjust the ignition of a household walk-behind tractor by ear. Both contact and non-contact magneto are suitable for this. To configure the system yourself, you must:
- Start the engine and slightly loosen the standard distributor;
- Slowly turn the breaker in each of the possible directions;
- Achieve the maximum speed of the factory engine and quickly secure the structure;
- Listen and find the moment at which a spark instantly appears;
- Turning the breaker, wait for a clear clicking sound;
- Fix the standard distributor fasteners.
In some cases, a stroboscope will help to correctly adjust the available gap.
- Warm up the power unit of the walk-behind tractor;
- Connect the device to the power supply network of the agricultural unit;
- Install the sound sensor on the high-voltage wire connected to one of the cylinders of the standard internal combustion engine;
- Carefully remove the vacuum tube and plug it with any available means;
- See where the strobe light will be directed. it should “look” towards the standard pulley;
- Start the engine and leave it idling;
- Scroll the distributor;
- Once the marks on the built-in pulley align with the mark on the cover of the device being used, turn the nut of the factory breaker all the way.
Each of these methods is suitable for adjustment on both a gasoline and a diesel walk-behind tractor. The main thing in the self-tuning process is not to remove the coil and other elements of the ignition system. this can lead to a malfunction of the entire unit.
What to do if there is no spark on the walk-behind tractor?
If, after the tests carried out, it turned out that the spark was missing. then the cause of this breakdown must be sought in the main elements of the ignition system of the agricultural unit.
- inspect the candle. it must be turned out using a special key;
- the spark plug may be completely dry. this indicates that fuel does not enter the engine cylinder, that is, that the fuel pipes are clogged or the carburetor is malfunctioning;
- in some cases, the part is wet with gasoline and engine oil. The reasons for this are an overabundance of lubricant contained in the fuel, or its seepage from the engine oil sump directly into the cylinder. In this case, the operator must remove the plug and dry it thoroughly. After that, you need to dry the cylinder, several times intensively pull the starter cable on the engine with the spark plug turned out;
- least of all, due to the lack of correct and timely maintenance of agricultural machinery, a thick continuous layer of carbon deposits and dried resinous deposits forms on the candle of the walk-behind tractor. To rebuild the spark plug, gently heat it up with a lighter and rinse off the resin residue with clean gasoline. After that, the part will need to be dried and screwed into place. If this does not help, then the candle needs to be replaced.
Мотоблок. Краткая инструкция пользования.
It is important to be very careful when removing, cleaning and reinstalling the spark plug. Any careless movement can damage the electrodes of the part, due to which it will no longer be able to generate a spark.
Magneto for walk-behind tractor. testing at home
Magneto for a uniaxial tractor is a structurally complex element that is in constant contact with high-voltage wiring and interacts with electricity. Due to the operation of the walk-behind tractor in wet weather, accidental shocks and failures in the supply of electrical power, this part gradually fails. It is quite simple to check it for serviceability, but the operator will have to act at his own peril and risk, since the only way to test a part in the field will be very dangerous for the entire ignition system.
To check the magneto of the walk-behind tractor, you will need:
- On a candle screwed into its regular place, carefully dismantle the cap and insert a small nail in its place. The latter must be clean with no signs of corrosion;
- The nail should be installed at a distance of 7 mm from the cylinder wall of the standard cylinder of the power unit of the walk-behind tractor;
- Start the engine of the agricultural unit;
- Check for spark when starting the engine. It should be bright blue and clearly visible. If it is not, then the magneto is out of order.
If the magneto breaks down, it will need to be replaced. You can do it yourself. removing the faulty one and installing a new part.
How to check the ignition coil on a walk-behind tractor?
Most often, this important element of the ignition of the walk-behind tractor is checked using a known working test sample. If during the testing process it turned out that with the installation of the sample everything began to work as it should, then the standard ignition coil of the walk-behind tractor is faulty.
However, not everyone has a test sample at hand. If it is not there, then you need to try to check the built-in coil in other ways. Before that, you need to exclude any breakdowns that may appear in the start button and high-voltage wiring. In addition, the user should carefully study the wiring diagrams. which indicate the location of the elements of the ignition system.
Further verification methods include:
- measuring the resistance of the built-in ignition coil. It should be noted that it is not always used by users of agricultural machinery. First, the operator must know the exact parameters of the resistance created by the standard coil. Secondly, in addition to the inductance coil, the design of the ignition system includes semiconductor components required to generate the required electrical impulse. Problems with all these elements can only be detected when they are heated. To properly check the ignition coil, you will need to disconnect the cap and the standard armor wire from it. Knowing the exact parameters of the resistance of the built-in element, the operator will be able to understand which part of the system is faulty;
- checking the spark being created using a special device. it must be connected to the place where the electrical circuit breaks between the high-voltage wires of the standard coil and the candle;
- testing the coil with a plug built into the structure. for this you need to unscrew the built-in plug and carefully attach it to the cylinder with its body. Then you need to pull the starter handle and pay attention to the spark that forms between the factory plug contacts. It should be noted that this method of checking the existing coil is approximate. in this case the spark plug is not under load, which is why there is no compression in the internal combustion engine cylinder. As a result, the standard engine flywheel will rotate faster.
Each of these methods gives rough information about the condition of the ignition coil. It must be remembered that you can find the exact cause of a part’s malfunction using specialized testers, which are only in specialized workshops.
Walk-behind tractor ignition device
The ignition system belongs to the list of the most important components of both a branded and a home-made walk-behind tractor. Its main function is to generate a spark, which is needed for ignition and gradual combustion of fuel in the chrome-plated cylinder of the internal combustion engine.
The simplicity of the factory device of the unit allows you to carry out your own repair of the ignition of the walk-behind tractor. which, most often, consists in setting a gap between its elements. However, to do this correctly, you need to study the construction of the knot.
The ignition device of any agricultural agricultural unit includes a coil, which is initially connected to the electrical power supply of the system, as well as a magneto and candles. During the start of the power unit of the walk-behind tractor, voltage is applied, as a result of which a pronounced spark is formed between the magnetic “shoe” and the standard candle. It is necessary for the instantaneous ignition of the fuel, which at this moment is in the combustion chamber of the engine. A photo will tell you more about the structure of the ignition system of the used walk-behind tractor.
Honda Small Engine On/Off Switch Replacement #35120-Z0T-851
The electronic ignition system of the walk-behind tractor is also often equipped with breakers that operate automatically when any of the unit malfunctions appear. This leads to an emergency power outage in the network.
Different branded walk-behind tractors produced by well-known brands differ from each other in the design of the built-in ignition system. To know how to properly adjust this important element, we offer a video. which contain the correct procedure for setting up the ignition system on the most common models of walk-behind tractors.
For motoblocks of the Neva brand:
Cars Moskvich, ZAZ, GAZ24 or GAZ31 and foreign cars
In domestic cars, at the end of the distributor, you can see 2 crescent icons of different sizes: one short, the other long. They need to be combined.
In foreign cars, to facilitate adjustment, special risks are used, which just need to be combined. In these cases, figuring out how to set the ignition is much easier.
Easy ways to correctly set the ignition on the walk-behind tractor. we explain thoroughly
a single-axle tractor is now a fairly widespread technique. This article tells about the ignition system, how to set it up and what problems may arise during the operation of the device.
Prevention and Troubleshooting
To prevent the occurrence of malfunctions in the ignition system, try to follow some simple recommendations:
- do not work on a walk-behind tractor if the weather is bad outside. rains, dampness, frost, or sudden changes in humidity and temperature conditions are expected;
- if you smell an unpleasant smell of burning plastic, do not turn on the unit;
- protect important parts of the mechanism from water penetration;
- replace the spark plugs about once every 90 days; if you actively use the device, this period can and should be shortened;
- the oil used for the engine must be of high quality and of a brand suitable for the given model, otherwise the spark plug will be constantly filled with fuel;
- carry out regular inspections of the ignition system, gears, in order to prevent the use of the unit with broken cables, other malfunctions;
- when the motor heats up, try to reduce the load on the device, so you will protect the mechanism from accelerated wear;
- when you are not using a single-axle tractor in winter, place it in a dry and fairly warm room under lock and key to prevent hypothermia of the device.
single axle tractor, motor cultivator, grass trimmer
It should be understood that these are different units in terms of their functionality. The difference between a walk-behind tractor and a motor-cultivator is that the latter is designed to work directly with the ground (for example, plowing), and a single-axle tractor is something universal. It can work as a cultivator, but it can also work as a pump, for example. a grass trimmer is a mower, in this case equipped with a gasoline engine (more commonly electric).
However, the internal structure of the engine is practically the same. Accordingly, the ignition of a walk-behind tractor, a motor-cultivator (cultivator with a gasoline engine) and a grass trimmer can be regulated according to the same scheme. Their motor is the same. By the way, the motor of gasoline power plants is also arranged in a similar way.
To adjust the ignition on the walk-behind tractor, you just need to adjust the gap. A paper folded 4 times is inserted between the flywheel and the module mount, which is responsible for the ignition of the walk-behind tractor (as a rule, this module is non-separable), lightly press and tighten the module mounting bolts. On the removed candle when the flywheel rotates, a stable powerful spark should slip. Everything. In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust the gap with variations in sheet thickness. It is important that there is no friction after removing the sheet.
How to check the performance of a candle?
An important role in the ignition is played by the gap between the stater and the flywheel magnetic shoe. It should be no more and no less than 0.1. 0.15 mm. What to do if you need to adjust the gap:
- Removing the case from the fan.
- We release the stator mounting bolts.
- Insert the dipstick plate, set the gap and screw in the bolts.
- Checking the clearance around the entire circumference of the flywheel.
These simple instructions will help you restart the ignition and easily identify the cause of its malfunction with your own hands. If you are confident in your technical knowledge, then it will not be difficult to do these steps. In order to avoid breakdowns of the walk-behind tractor in the future, it should be regularly diagnosed, which will allow you to immediately identify all kinds of problems and pinch them in the first steps.
How to set the ignition on a walk-behind tractor. we study in detail
If, in order to start a single-axle tractor, you need to pull the starter cable for a very long time, or you notice that the engine of the unit starts with some delay, then most likely you will need to adjust the ignition system of your agricultural machine. The operating instructions for the unit will help you do this correctly. If it is not there, then the ignition adjustment should be carried out in the following order:
- The first step is to put the elbow on the spark plug. Its body should be securely pressed against the cylinder head, while turning the part in the direction opposite to the hole in the cylinder head;
- Then you need to turn the crankshaft. To do this, you can pull the starter rope several times. As a result of pulling the cable, you should see a blue spark jumping between the electrodes;
- If the spark does not appear, you will need to check the clearance between the flywheel magnetic shoe and the stator. Ideally, it should be 0.1–0.15 mm. To adjust the gap, a special template should be installed between both parts, and the stator and magneto screws should be turned until both elements are close to each other at the required distance. To learn more about the procedure for setting up the ignition system of the walk-behind tractor, the video will help.
The installation of the ignition of the walk-behind tractor made in this way takes no more than 20 minutes of time. Having completed this simple procedure in a timely manner, you will protect the other mechanisms of the walk-behind tractor from increased load and excessive wear.
How to act if there is no spark on the walk-behind tractor?
The causes of malfunctions in the ignition system in most cases are associated with spark plugs. The spark plug is often oversaturated from too much engine oil. When it hits the part, it prevents sparks from occurring.
When the spark has disappeared, you need to act as follows:
- The candle is unscrewed with a special key. The element turns and is carefully removed, the O-ring should also be unscrewed;
- If the spark plug is dry, this indicates that fuel is not being supplied to the engine cylinder;
- If the plug is too wet, it indicates an excess of engine oil. The candle is wiped, the cylinder is dried. For this purpose, the starter rope is pulled;
- If there is solid carbon deposits on the candles, you can use gasoline and coarse sandpaper to clean it.
How to Set/Adjust the Air Gap on Small Engines Armature Magneto Coil
Such manipulations can be performed on a diesel walk-behind tractor and on gasoline models. It is important to carry out all actions as carefully as possible without damaging the part.
Very important! Before removing the distributor, if there is such a need, take it and simply mark with chalk the position in which it was. This will greatly facilitate the work later.
- Remove the distributor cover.
- The ignition should be set on the first or fourth cylinder. To do this, you need a key for 13, a voltammeter, a candle key. Although the technique for setting the ignition is the same for any cylinder, as a rule, this is done after the example of the first.
- There are 3 strips on the timing cover. medium, short and long. The short one creates a lead by 10 °, the middle one. by 5 °, the long one. no lead.
- Unscrew the spark plug from the first cylinder. All spark plugs do not need to be removed. One is enough. The hole should be plugged with a rubber stopper (or at least with a finger).
- Using a special wrench, turn the crankshaft to the start of the compression stroke in the first cylinder. An ejected plug will be an indicator that the compression stroke has begun.
- Twist so much that the mark located on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the mark on the cover. For 92nd or 95th gasoline, it is recommended to combine with the middle mark, and if 72nd or lower, then it is recommended to combine it with a long.
- Press the latches and remove the distributor cover.
- Turn the crankshaft so that the outer contact of the distributor rotor matches the first cylinder (sequence: 1-3-4-2).
- Return the distributor, but do not tighten the nut to the end.
- Now you can deal directly with the question of how to adjust the ignition.
- Using a voltmeter, we check the circuit: connect one end to the “low-voltage” terminal, which is given by the ignition coil, and the other to the “ground”. This is necessary, first of all, in order to make sure that the problems are not in the wires and the ignition coil itself is working.
- Switch on the ignition. Slowly turn the valve so that the voltage goes to zero. If it is zero, then nothing needs to be done.
- Then we turn the distributor until a voltage of 12 V appears, and in this position we are already tightening the nut. This can also be done with a 12 volt bulb. Here the direction of the current does not matter.
- Switch off ignition. Put the distributor cover.
Now we need to do a validation check:
- Start the engine, start driving in a straight line up to 45 km / h.
- Shift into fourth gear, turn up the throttle sharply. After 2-3 seconds, “beating” may occur in the form of pops, ringing, etc. It will disappear as you accelerate.
- If the “beats” have not passed, then the ignition is too “early”, and if it did not appear at all. “later.” Re-adjust the ignition. In the case of an early one, turn half the division clockwise, and if later, then counterclockwise.
- An important point: when everything is adjusted, stock up on paint (or at least chalk) to mark the adjusted optimal location.
- Do not turn the pulley with the distributor removed! This will lead to complete knocking down of all marks, and the whole process will have to be “adjusted from scratch”.
Setting up the ignition system of the walk-behind tractor
The ignition system is a very important design that creates a spark in the combustion chamber to ignite the air / fuel mixture. In order not to encounter breakdowns and not call the master, you need to know how to correctly set the ignition on the walk-behind tractor. This can be done in different ways.
- Thanks to the spark. Do the following:
- turn the crankshaft so that the pulley mark and the mark located at the base of the timing gear are aligned. In this case, the intermittent-distribution slider must point to the high-voltage wire of one of the cylinders;
- loosen the nut, which is the position of the body of the mechanism that determines the moment of creating high-voltage pulses;
- from the cover of the system, which determines the moment of creating high-voltage pulses, you need to remove the high-voltage wire located in the center, and place its contact at a distance of 5 millimeters from the “mass” of the walk-behind tractor;
- now turn on the ignition;
- the case of the mechanism that determines the moment of creating the aforementioned impulses, you need to turn along the clock hand to the 200 mark;
- now slowly turn the body in the opposite direction;
- the position of the mechanism should not change, but you will see a spark between the contact located in the center and the “mass”;
- tighten the break nut.
- Using your hearing:
- start the engine;
- unscrew the nut that holds the distributor base;
- the intermittent body must be slowly turned in two directions;
- the state of the mechanism, which determines the appearance of high-voltage pulses, must be fixed in the position when the motor power is the most steel, and the revolutions will be the highest. Listen carefully;
- turn the breaker body clockwise;
- now firmly fasten the distributor fastener;
- With a stroboscope:
- heat the engine of the walk-behind tractor to a state optimal for operation;
- connect the power of the stroboscope to the network of your unit;
- the sensor, which is designed for a triggered sound, must be placed on the high-voltage electric wire of one of the cylinders;
- dismantle the vacuum correcting hose and plug it;
- the light from the stroboscope should be directed towards the pulley;
- start the engine. It should be idling;
- scroll the distributor body;
- create a fastener when the pulley mark is directed to the mark on the cover of the device;
- tighten the fixing nut.
Ignition system device on a walk-behind tractor
Today there are more and more people who use walk-behind tractors on their plots. This is not surprising, because such a technique can do absolutely everything: plow the land, plant and harvest potatoes, transport goods, and even remove snow. However, like any other machines, walk-behind tractors sometimes break down and require repair.
In this article, we will consider the ignition system of the walk-behind tractor, the types of its breakdowns, ways to eliminate them, as well as the ignition adjustment process. And if the cause of the malfunction lies exactly here, it will not be difficult for you to eliminate it.
Breakdowns and ways to eliminate them
If your single axle tractor stops starting, the ignition system may be the cause. There may be several reasons:
- malfunction in the ignition coil;
- in the spark plug for the walk-behind tractor;
- in the tip of the candle;
- in the wire.
To check the candle, you need to unscrew it and examine the center and side electrodes. If carbon deposits are found on it, it is easy to get rid of it with a gas burner.
How to check the coil (magneto)? Just like a candle. You need to put a tip on the candle, and bring the lower part to the magneto body. If you rotate the flywheel, and there is no spark, then the breakage is in the coil.
Many owners of walk-behind tractors are often interested in the question, which spark plug is better? As practice and knowledge of specialists show, the one with a shorter heat removal path is better. Such a part will not overheat and will last much longer.
As you can see, the ignition system is quite easy to repair. It is only important to start repairs on time. Also, do not forget to periodically clean the candle from burning, which will significantly extend its service life.